New version 5.03.0

Below is full change log
In short:
- potential serious bug for /data/media devices
- Advanced Backup statistics during nandroid tar operations
- Update to cwm 6.0.3.2
- 3 new colors as requested
- Add toggles to change color of header text and battery/clock display color
- Small GUI changes (fix color highlight of virtual buttons and the bottom menu line color

- fix backup size progress in twrp mode
- improve code for backup stats during nandroid jobs
- display full backup stats (total size, compression ratio, elapsed time) at end of backups
- merge last cm-10.1 updates:
* fix nandroid cmd command did not load volume table
* support nandroid dump/undump commands
* nandroid backup command line still segfaults
* silent log when mounting /data/media
Touch:
- add 3 new color palettes (30 colors total): dimmer gray, yellow and gold
- add toggle for header custom color
- add toggle for battery and clock custom color
- line at bottom of menus will now have same color as menus separator lines
- set new defaults to header and menu text colors
- show backup/restore stats in color during nandroid jobs
- fix touch issue when exiting friendly log or blanked screen, and pressing on virtual buttons

- fix root break for devices with shared recovery partition caused by Whil Wheaton update
- advanced backup size monitoring during nandroid operations
- prompt to cancel backup on low free space (% and absolute)
- live display size stats during backup: total data written, free space left
- support backup and restore of /misc partition for both CWM and TWRP operations
- prevent potential segfault when calling is_data_media_volume_path()
- merge cm-10.1 changes:
* remove adb sideload /tmp/update.zip after flashing to avoid second flash under some circumstances
- fix android_secure could not be backed up under some circumstances (ensure mount of sdcard)
- completely rewritten android_secure support: much simpler code
Touch:
- optimize cancel nandroid job action
- allow cancel yaffs2 nandroid operations
- allow dim screen timeout during yaffs2 nandroid operations
- fix set brightness and auto-dim screen timer for Nexus 7 and Nexus 10
- fix battery stats display for Nexus 10
- restore default actions of real device keys we fake for touch events
- correctly map device virtual keys to default recovery actions
- fix virtual buttons highlight color to match their line separator color (blue)

- support Nexus 7 and Nexus 10
- clean code for non PhilZ Touch buils
- Merge cm-10.1 changes to cwm 6.0.3.2:
* recovery: fix sideload cancel" into cm-10.1
* make_ext4fs support
* auto prompt to root device when booting to main system

- use device specific background images during compile process

Download links
Last version can be found here:

Phil3759

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2012
Well that's a known "problem"...

Only TWRP supports auto flashing of OTA in ViperX.

And I think the parameters are set in the ROMs framework.jar \smali\android\os\RecoverySystem.smali

Default value should be
Code:
const-string v3, "INTERNALSDCARD:"

In ViperX
Code:
const-string v3, "INTERNALSDCARD:/"

So maybe this will do the trick :p
Code:
const-string v3, "INTERNALSDCARD:/sdcard"

Maybe Phil can make it compatible since this is way over my head...

I really have no clue here too. Not having HTC phones, no idea what is ViperX...
I am short of time to dig into it, but if someone has a small idea or direction, I can look at it

It could also be a matter of the included kernel or a ramdisk change

Thunder07

Inactive RC / RD
Sep 22, 2007
I really have no clue here too. Not having HTC phones, no idea what is ViperX...
I am short of time to dig into it, but if someone has a small idea or direction, I can look at it

It could also be a matter of the included kernel or a ramdisk change

i haven't used ViperX before...
but just from my general knowledge, ill say your recovery SHOULD (maybe not) work by default.

im guessing they're passing a script file and flashing the ota, like any update.zip

Also, Phil,
i can't seem to find this option, but is there a way to disable double tap??
oops, it seems i was on an older version, the latest version is fast hell, NICE WORK!!

And... and i know this is lazy of me...
i use my tool to flash the recovery and its annoying having to rename recovery.img to (e.g) recovery-phil-v5.img before extracting it to my recovery folder (within the program)
as i have the default recovery named recovery.img...
so can you add recovery-v5.img to the name :p

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil3759

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
i haven't used ViperX before...
but just from my general knowledge, ill say your recovery SHOULD (maybe not) work by default.

im guessing they're passing a script file and flashing the ota, like any update.zip

Also, Phil,
i can't seem to find this option, but is there a way to disable double tap??
oops, it seems i was on an older version, the latest version is fast hell, NICE WORK!!

And... and i know this is lazy of me...
i use my tool to flash the recovery and its annoying having to rename recovery.img to (e.g) recovery-phil-v5.img before extracting it to my recovery folder (within the program)
as i have the default recovery named recovery.img...
so can you add recovery-v5.img to the name :p

It was supposed to be a flashable zip in recovery!
Is anyone able to flash it or you all extract it and fastboot?
Not used to HTC so not aware of this very well

If no one can flash it in the zip, I will release recovery.img files with a standard formatted name like for the zip

Reactions: Thunder07

asp2010

Oct 9, 2010
It was supposed to be a flashable zip in recovery!
Is anyone able to flash it or you all extract it and fastboot?
Not used to HTC so not aware of this very well

If no one can flash it in the zip, I will release recovery.img files with a standard formatted name like for the zip
The official HTC unlock, which is the only option we have as of now, doesn't let recovery write to the recovery or boot partitions. That's why we have to use fastboot everytime :)

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
The official HTC unlock, which is the only option we have as of now, doesn't let recovery write to the recovery or boot partitions. That's why we have to use fastboot everytime :)

Ok,
Will stop releasing useless zips then, just the img
Next ones will be renamed like the zip, just a .img

Naming is script based for all devices, so cannot rename different. But it should do the trick for you I hope

AdrianM

Jun 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Google Pixel 6 Pro

Unless you are lucky and have a S-OFF device, which allows you to flash anything from recovery. But, unfortunately, those lucky ones are very few.

Sent from my HTC One X

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

If I "gently" touch the screen to select something, the selector jumps to the next row/option. I need to touch the screen "harder" to select what I want without the selector to jump. I don't remember having this issue (or not?) on the previous version. Where can I get the previous version to test it?

I hope you understand what I say. I'm tired, can't explain it better right now.

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
Unless you are lucky and have a S-OFF device, which allows you to flash anything from recovery. But, unfortunately, those lucky ones are very few.

Sent from my HTC One X

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 PM ----------

If I "gently" touch the screen to select something, the selector jumps to the next row/option. I need to touch the screen "harder" to select what I want without the selector to jump. I don't remember having this issue (or not?) on the previous version. Where can I get the previous version to test it?

I hope you understand what I say. I'm tired, can't explain it better right now.

No one ever reported such a behavior and I cannot reproduce it on my setup!
A video is welcome

Also, try to reset recovery settings if you changed the scroll and touch sensitivity settings

AdrianM

Jun 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Google Pixel 6 Pro
No one ever reported such a behavior and I cannot reproduce it on my setup!
A video is welcome

Also, try to reset recovery settings if you changed the scroll and touch sensitivity settings

I have reseted the settings. Still having the problem.

I made a video. I am really, really sorry for the quality of the video, but the only thing I got around to record was a very old and crappy webcam. :cyclops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYMadig7LEA&feature=youtu.be

As you can see in the video, most of the times I touch the display, the selector jumps one down. Unless it's on the last item, then it goes to the first.

As I said before, I never had this problem in the previous version.

I've tried changing Touch Accuracy, but the problem stays with all options.

Last edited:

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
I have reseted the settings. Still having the problem.

I made a video. I am really, really sorry for the quality of the video, but the only thing I got around to record was a very old and crappy webcam. :cyclops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYMadig7LEA&feature=youtu.be

As you can see in the video, most of the times I touch the display, the selector jumps one down. Unless it's on the last item, then it goes to the first.

As I said before, I never had this problem in the previous version.

I've tried changing Touch Accuracy, but the problem stays with all options.

Very wired in fact!
1- By the way, in Full Touch mode, you can select by first touch on lifted finger or not?
2- it seems a random x/y coordinate mismatch on soft touch. The fact that when you press well fixes it, means the code is good, just the board maybe not reporting right coordinates on some circumstances
3- If point 1 is buggy, maybe the board doesn't report well the finger lifted event or first touch causing some confusion (second touch being assumed as a scroll since no finger lifted event was detected)

To verify point 3: do the same but first touch top menu, then, last one. It should do a big scroll if that's the issue

It could be a defective board/screen too on soft touch

Need answers to above questions and mainly if others are having same issue

AdrianM

Jun 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Google Pixel 6 Pro
1 - Full touch works as intended: when i get my finger of the screen, the recovery goes to the selected item. So the problem is in Double Tap and Select Only modes.

As for point number 3, when I touch the first menu, it jumps to 2nd. Then I touch the last one, and it jumps to first one. I guess it works just like when I use volume down when I'm at the last menu - it goes to the top one.

I'm not saying that the code is not good, not my area, i just wonder why on previous version I haven't got this problem? I used the recovery in "Double tap" so far.

Can you provide me the previous version of recovery.img ? I want to see if it works well. If it has the same problem, then it must be something wrong with my device, as I know it worked fine before.

(Excuse my bad English, it's not my primary language)

Phil3759

May 30, 2012
1 - Full touch works as intended: when i get my finger of the screen, the recovery goes to the selected item. So the problem is in Double Tap and Select Only modes.

As for point number 3, when I touch the first menu, it jumps to 2nd. Then I touch the last one, and it jumps to first one. I guess it works just like when I use volume down when I'm at the last menu - it goes to the top one.

I'm not saying that the code is not good, not my area, i just wonder why on previous version I haven't got this problem? I used the recovery in "Double tap" so far.

Can you provide me the previous version of recovery.img ? I want to see if it works well. If it has the same problem, then it must be something wrong with my device, as I know it worked fine before.

(Excuse my bad English, it's not my primary language)

Good catch
I could reproduce the issue in fact. I only tried in full touch mode, that's why I couldn't reproduce it. Always provide the most info you can so your issue can be reproduced, else it is hard to fix or guess.

Have no idea why, but I will look at it and fix it. Should be not a big deal since I can reproduce it

AdrianM

Jun 20, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S10+
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Good catch
I could reproduce the issue in fact. I only tried in full touch mode, that's why I couldn't reproduce it. Always provide the most info you can so your issue can be reproduced, else it is hard to fix or guess.

Have no idea why, but I will look at it and fix it. Should be not a big deal since I can reproduce it

Ok. Great, waiting for a fix. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One X

Thunder07

Inactive RC / RD
Sep 22, 2007
@Phil3759
i've noticed that it takes a bit for the PC (using adb) to recognise the phone is in recovery,
is there a way to make that a bit faster??

arifqur

Nov 12, 2005
Using this recovery with hox connected via ish to pc, the recovery full touch acts a bit slow on my side.

I love the usb mount option!

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Yup me too, really love the usb mount option. It comes in very handy when you have booted to recovery and just remembered that you had forgotten to copy the rom that you were going to flash to your sd card

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PhilZ Touch is a CWM Advanced Edition that adds all the features you could ever miss in CWM
    It is a well proven recovery for many phones

It also adds a full touch interface a completely configurable GUI

Main thread + features + install instructions + dev support
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2201860

Please give your feedback, what works, and any bug you could encounter
    Read the features, and check if you are missing something

I would appreciate a screen shot from your device, mainly under GUI options or custom backup menu where you select partitions
    To take a screen shot, just slide left

Also, do not forget to read about the powerful aroma file manager integration and double tap shortcut

Download links
    Last version can be found here:
    Debugging a first release

This is a first release for HTC devices. However, the recovery is well proven for Samsung and LGE Google devices

It is mainly a CWM with tons of advanced features, so, basically, there is no reason it completely fails if your device runs a CWM build
    Now, some bugs in advanced features can appear:

Broken touch interface:
    This is probable to happen on early betas. Screen needs calibration. This calibration will be non necessary in next v5 however
    If touch gui doesn't work, please follow these exact steps to calibrate screen:

1- reboot into recovery, do not touch screen
    2- touch middle of screen, do not lift finger and swipe to the left (1)edge
    3- once finger out of screen area, you can lift it
    4- repeat steps 2 and 3 for each of the 3 other edges: right (2) then top (3) and finally bottom (4)

Note for a good touch log:
    When swiping on screen, go slowly and maintain a good pressure on screen to have good results.
    When finger reaches an edge, lift it completely before touching screen again.

Once done,
    5- do not touch screen anymore
    6- using hardware buttons, navigate to Advanced / Report Error menu
    7- upload the /sdcard/clockworkmod/philz_recovery.log and post the link

Other bugs:
    - Reproduce the bug
    - Create and post a log (steps 6 and 7 above)
    The recovery works great, no issues at all!

However, if it's possible I would like to see that adb is loaded at boot of recovery.
    1 min delay is a loooong time to wait when testing stuff ;)

Sent from my HTC One X

using vold this should be no problem anymore
    Could be first versions need a little debugging though, we'll see

Since you're working on this,
    can I just remind you of my earlier proposal to support KL kernel flashing process, thanks

Send From My HTC One X
    Sorry, I am a little in a burning stage...
    What you can do is take time to post all what I need in one single post, trying to explain exactly what you want to achieve and resources/script recovery should run when installing the zip

That way, I bookmark it, add to my todo list and promis to give a definitive answer

Hope you understand what I mean, as a dev yourself

Being alone on such a project and updating +60 devices is a real crazy thing
    5.05.0 (26.05.2013)
    - fix potential memory overflow during computing of size stats in backup
    - fix /efs backup not possible for devices without /preload, unless preload menu was selected once
    - fix custom nandroid and twrp backups for yaffs2 devices (do not force tar format on these)
    - misc fixes for supporting more devices mainly during nandroid jobs:
    * allow use of device2 for raw backup and restore operations (using dd/cat)
    * better nandroid support when device names in fstab do not match actual mtd name (revert statfs for volume->device)​
    - revert cm-10.1 changes: Write correctly fstab info in log (do not print to stderr)
    - merge old custom_backup folder to cwm backup folder
    - old .efs_backup and .modem_bin folders also should be moved to clockworkmod/backup
    - .aromafm folder is now aromafm (no more hidden folder for this)
    - add regenerate md5 sum option for nandroid backups (use with caution)
    - revert inverting fstype and fstype2 (see github commit for more info on this)
    - fix nandroid backup fails before generating md5 for /external_sd devices when card is not inserted/mountable (.android_secure check)
    - fix falling back to system mount command will fail when calling ensure_path_mounted(filename)
    - htc desire x (protou) support added
    - htc droid incredible 4g lte (fireball):
    * add support
    * allow sd-ext and mount external sd in ext4
    * allow backup/restore of /radio​
    - galaxy s4 - i9505:
    * support emmc partitions size detection during nandroid jobs
    * fix exfat mount for some sdcards (thanks to chenglu)​
    - nexus s/4g (crespo/crespo4g):
    * allow raw + yaffs2 backups for /efs and /radio
    * allow size detection for mtd partitions during nandroid backup
    * fix device name to samsung nexus s
    * repack with stock gb kernel to fix usb mount in recovery​
    - nexus 10: Enable efs backup and restore
    - galaxy nexus (maguro/toro/toroplus): Enable efs backup and restore

Most changes are in nandroid backup operations and external storage mounting
    Please test this and report any bugs with a log
    To get a log:

- Advanced / Report Error
    - Attach here the /sdcard/clockworkmod/philz_recovery.log file

If phone is hanguing and cannot export a log because sdcard is not being mounted:
    - adb pull /tmp/recovery.log
    - attach the recovery.log file

At worst:
    - Reboot into main system, not recovery (adb reboot can achieve it when needed too)
    - Grab /cache/recovery files (last_log, last_install)
    Released v5.08.5

Change list 5.07.1 ---> 5.08.5
    5.08.5 (11.07.2013)
    - Compile Aroma File Manager (by amarullz) zip installer under recovery:
    * either compile whole recovery, zip will be created at first pass
    * or only compile aroma zip installer in two pass:
    1- mmm bootable/recovery/aromafm
    2- mmm bootable/recovery/aromafm/tools
    * output: [target_out]/aromafm_out/aromafm_[DeviceID].zip
    - detect aroma compatibility with non NEON devices during compiling
    - use less conflicting flags: TARGET_NAME --> TARGET_COMMON_NAME

5.08.0 (07.07.2013)
    - improve nandroid progress bar update
    - fix recovery was not prompting when backup estimated size is larger than free space
    - add ors backup support for twrp format requested by BillGoss
    - ors backup: when no backup name is given, generate it using same way as nandroid operations (time stamp + rom name tag)
    - support separated compiling for Loki patched devices (S4 AT&T and Verizon)
    - i9505: revert some changes to fix time bug for some users
    - Galaxy S4 US variants: repack around Audism stock JB 4.3 kernel v3 + Samsung exfat modules + revert use of mkefs for partition corruption issue
    - fix missing break in set backup compression value menu (misc_nandroid_menu())
    - misc clean up code
    - sync latest sources

5.07.6 (05.07.2013)
    - update version 6.0.3.3
    - add exfat-fuse 1.0.1.362 / 2.9.2 optional support by enabling USE_EXFAT_FUSE_BIN CFLAG in BoardConfig (exfat support on cyanogenmod repacks)
    - i9505: use Audism kernel v3 (Stock Samsung sources) to fix partition corruption without additional code and for better exfat support

Please Note: Device specific threads will no longer be updated. I monitor them for support and feedback though
    To check if you have a new version, subscribe to main thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2201860

Thank you for your understanding