Fixing Roboto, Somewhat

Search This thread

robogo1982

I don't know. Could be both. Will fix it and upload it during the day today.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0b08vcipbuge9at/fonts_10e.zip

This has all the fonts packed, not just Roboto. Again, I haven't tried this out so I don't know will it work properly. Please do a backup before installing in case something goes wrong since I am not responsible for eventual problems. If it doesn't work, try unpacking the files and copying them manually.

I

Id Arcanum

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

This has all the fonts packed, not just Roboto. Again, I haven't tried this out so I don't know will it work properly. Please do a backup before installing in case something goes wrong since I am not responsible for eventual problems. If it doesn't work, try unpacking the files and copying them manually.

Seemed to work. Thank you!

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

andydumi

Feb 7, 2011
Nashville
When I try to mount or remount, I get a "operation not permitted error". Any suggestions?

Any app way to flash the above zip, or do i need to boot to recovery to do it?

Yes! Confirmed working. I just tried this on mine and I used root Explorer to copy paste and change permissions. Working like a charm.

Sent from my LG-D802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Attachments

• 1388874274936.jpg
    1388874274936.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 269

Pat123

Oct 11, 2006
Mumbai
Can someone please do me a favour and upload the default /system/etc/system_fonts.xml file? I had made some changes to it and now OTA does not work complaining it has been modified.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I saw a post earlier on G+ about the G2 and Roboto. Basically you can only use normal and bold; italic, bold italic, Roboto Light, Roboto Thin, and Roboto Condensed don't work. The weight also appears to be off.

I did some looking around and all the fonts are present on the system. I made a quick test app to compare the fonts on the G2 and Galaxy Nexus and set to figure out how to fix it.

It's pretty simple, just copy the system_fonts.xml file in the zip to \system\etc. You'll probably want to backup and/or rename the existing file first and give it the same file permissions. You'll need root and a file explorer that can mount system. Reboot and you should be able to see the changes.

I copied the file over to internal storage and used Total Commander to copy the xml file after renaming the original file.

The weight is still wrong but at least if the developer wanted to use Roboto and italics, you'll now be able to see italics.
    If you want to fix the weight issues, you can download Roboto directly from Google. Just click "Download Roboto" and extract the zip, then copy to your phone. In adb you can do this:

Assuming you put the roboto files at /sdcard/roboto
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    cp /sdcard/roboto/*.ttf /system/fonts

This will overwrite the ones from the stock rom, so if you're concerned about that, you can make a backup first:
    Code:
    mkdir /sdcard/roboto-stock
    cp /system/fonts/Roboto* /sdcard/roboto-stock

After that and using your modded system_fonts.xml, I have nice proper typography in the Play Store and other Holo apps.

Thanks!
    If rooted, u can use jrummys font app, and install any font the app has, it replaces the roboto font in stock font settings....

Sent from my LG-D800 using XDA Premium HD app

I saw a post earlier on G+ about the G2 and Roboto. Basically you can only use normal and bold; italic, bold italic, Roboto Light, Roboto Thin, and Roboto Condensed don't work. The weight also appears to be off.

I did some looking around and all the fonts are present on the system. I made a quick test app to compare the fonts on the G2 and Galaxy Nexus and set to figure out how to fix it.

It's pretty simple, just copy the system_fonts.xml file in the zip to \system\etc. You'll probably want to backup and/or rename the existing file first and give it the same file permissions. You'll need root and a file explorer that can mount system. Reboot and you should be able to see the changes.

I copied the file over to internal storage and used Total Commander to copy the xml file after renaming the original file.

The weight is still wrong but at least if the developer wanted to use Roboto and italics, you'll now be able to see italics.

If you want to fix the weight issues, you can download Roboto directly from Google. Just click "Download Roboto" and extract the zip, then copy to your phone. In adb you can do this:

Assuming you put the roboto files at /sdcard/roboto
    Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /system
    cp /sdcard/roboto/*.ttf /system/fonts

This will overwrite the ones from the stock rom, so if you're concerned about that, you can make a backup first:
    Code:
    mkdir /sdcard/roboto-stock
    cp /system/fonts/Roboto* /sdcard/roboto-stock

After that and using your modded system_fonts.xml, I have nice proper typography in the Play Store and other Holo apps.

Thanks!

Thanks for this guys, much appreciated. I combined both of these procedures and now have all stock android roboto system fonts that render perfectly everywhere, most notably in the play store. FYI: I ended up just using root explorer to move both the xml file as well as all of the stock font files to the proper directories, changed permissions and rebooted. Good as gold :good: