[APP][4.2+] SecondScreen - better screen mirroring for Android devices

Search This thread

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah

SecondScreen is an application designed for power users that frequently connect their Android devices to external displays. It works with your existing screen mirroring solution to give you the best experience possible. With SecondScreen, you can change your device's resolution and density to fit your TV or monitor, enable always-on desktop mode in Chrome, and even turn your device's backlight off, among several other features.

PLEASE READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING:
• This app REQUIRES elevated permissions, granted via root access or adb shell commands. The app will do nothing if you do not have a rooted device or access to adb.
• This app is ONLY for devices with AOSP / Google experience ROMs. It is not guaranteed to function properly on devices with manufacturer-skinned ROMs.
• This app does not provide screen mirroring capabilities on its own. Screen mirroring may require either an MHL/SlimPort adapter or a wireless solution such as Miracast or Chromecast.
• A Bluetooth keyboard and mouse is strongly recommended as the app can make UI elements smaller and harder to press on the device itself.

Features:

• Easily change resolution and density (DPI) - take full advantage of the resolution of your external display, and show the Android tablet interface if you're using a phone
• Simple profile-based interface - easy to enable/disable different profiles for different types of displays
• Many configurable options, including:
 • Automatically enable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi - quickly connect a keyboard, mouse, and/or game controller
 • Automatically enable Daydreams
 • Lock screen orientation to landscape
 • Show desktop sites in Chrome by default - browse the real Web, on your TV!
 • Overscan support for older TVs (Android 4.3+)
 • System-wide immersive mode (Android 5.0+)
 • Disable device backlight and vibration - save battery while your device is connected (not compatible with all devices)
• Full integration with Tasker
• Load profiles automatically when a display is connected
• Quick Actions - quickly and easily run SecondScreen features without creating or editing profiles
• Homescreen shortcuts - launch a profile with one tap, without entering the app

Download:
Download SecondScreen on the Play Store
Download SecondScreen on F-Droid

Explanation of permissions:
• root access required to change resolution/DPI, disable backlight/vibration, enable desktop-only mode in Chrome
• "connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi", "view Wi-Fi connections" - required for profiles to enable Wi-Fi
• "access Bluetooth settings", "pair with Bluetooth devices" - required for profiles to enable Bluetooth
• "close other apps" - required to refresh the user interface after a resolution/DPI change. Ensure all data is saved before launching a profile.
• "run at startup" - required to show SecondScreen profile notification after a (soft/hard) reboot
• "modify system settings" - required for profiles to lock rotation and set brightness

Feedback in this thread is welcomed and appreciated! Hope you guys enjoy the app!

XDA:DevDB Information
SecondScreen, App for the Android General

Contributors
farmerbb
Source Code: https://github.com/farmerbb/SecondScreen

Version Information
Current Stable Version: 2.9.1
Stable Release Date: 2019-10-31

Created 2014-07-19
Last Updated 2019-11-02

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-31-13-54-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-31-13-54-11.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 26,284
  • Screenshot_2014-11-03-14-02-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-03-14-02-01.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 26,030
  • Screenshot_2015-01-16-16-13-54.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-16-16-13-54.png
    73 KB · Views: 23,886
  • Screenshot_2015-01-16-16-14-22.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-16-16-14-22.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 22,891
  • Screenshot_2015-01-17-11-13-19.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-17-11-13-19.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 22,282
  • Screenshot_2015-01-17-11-12-59.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-17-11-12-59.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 21,447
  • Screenshot_2015-01-17-12-42-45.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-17-12-42-45.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 21,312
Last edited by a moderator:

neilhae

May 29, 2014
I'm using Kindle HD 8.9.

Each function works well on it, except screen turn off.

But it has one problem.

I got an enlarged letter box when I change resolution.

My TV has 1920x1080 resolution and Kindle has 1920x1200;

so it has originally black letter box on left and right side.

But when i change Kindle resolution to 1920x1080 using this app,

the letter box is created even on upside and downside.

Is it natural or just my machine problem?

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
I'm using Kindle HD 8.9.

Each function works well on it, except screen turn off.

But it has one problem.

I got an enlarged letter box when I change resolution.

My TV has 1920x1080 resolution and Kindle has 1920x1200;

so it has originally black letter box on left and right side.

But when i change Kindle resolution to 1920x1080 using this app,

the letter box is created even on upside and downside.

Is it natural or just my machine problem?

No, switching the resolution to 1920x1080 is supposed to eliminate the pillarboxing on the left and right side. It sounds like a quirk with how the Kindle outputs it's image over HDMI.

What happens when you try a different resolution such as 1280x720? Does the letterboxing and pillarboxing get worse? Also, have you tried connecting your Kindle to a different TV?

Regarding the screen turn off - does it at least dim the backlight down low? Some device kernels have safeguards that prevent the backlight from turning all the way off.

Last edited:

neilhae

May 29, 2014
No, switching the resolution to 1920x1080 is supposed to eliminate the pillarboxing on the left and right side. It sounds like a quirk with how the Kindle outputs it's image over HDMI.

What happens when you try a different resolution such as 1280x720? Does the letterboxing and pillarboxing get worse? Also, have you tried connecting your Kindle to a different TV?

Regarding the screen turn off - does it at least dim the backlight down low? Some device kernels have safeguards that prevent the backlight from turning all the way off.

When I try a different resolution such as 1280x720, the letterboxing and pillarboxing are exactly sams as 1920x1080 (??)

The screen turn off option isn't activated and I cannot check it.

Since I have 1 TV monitor, I didn't try connecting to a different TV.

I'll tell you the result whenever I try to a different one.

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
When I try a different resolution such as 1280x720, the letterboxing and pillarboxing are exactly sams as 1920x1080 (??)

The screen turn off option isn't activated and I cannot check it.

Since I have 1 TV monitor, I didn't try connecting to a different TV.

I'll tell you the result whenever I try to a different one.

OK, it sounds like it might be an issue with the TV then.

If the "Turn backlight off" option is grayed out, that means the kernel values needed to disable the backlight weren't found on your device. It looks like the Kindle Fire HD 8.9 uses a TI OMAP chipset and the app only recognizes the values for Snapdragon and Tegra.

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
I set a profile using all default settings. I have start on HDMI connection. I use Tasker to launch profile when my N5 connects to Pioneer AppRadio 3 using AppRadio Unchained to mirror phone. Works great, except that my Nova Launcher gets the expanded desktop toggled off by SecondScreen. My expanded desktop is a feature of GravityBox for Xposed Framework. I will provide a logcat my next connection session. Any other info needed to give development feedback?

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
I set a profile using all default settings. I have start on HDMI connection. I use Tasker to launch profile when my N5 connects to Pioneer AppRadio 3 using AppRadio Unchained to mirror phone. Works great, except that my Nova Launcher gets the expanded desktop toggled off by SecondScreen. My expanded desktop is a feature of GravityBox for Xposed Framework. I will provide a logcat my next connection session. Any other info needed to give development feedback?

Hmm, I'll have to install Xposed + GravityBox + Nova myself and take a look.

What do you mean by "all default settings"? Do you mind posting screenshots of the profile you're using? Expanded desktop could be toggled off if you have the UI refresh method set to "Restart SystemUI & kill background apps". This setting also restarts whatever launcher you are using.

EDIT: Okay, I installed Xposed, GravityBox and Nova Launcher and did some minimal testing. Expanded desktop stays on for me no matter what I try. What expanded desktop setting are you using in GravityBox?

Last edited:
Reactions: lpasq

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
This is probably specific to AppRadio Unchained and your app. I will logcat tomorrow then when next in car.
u6u3yjur.jpg
ytame7e6.jpg
uvary6e4.jpg
9yta6uhu.jpg

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 PM ----------

gyna5eju.jpg
y5edude8.jpg

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
I just pushed an update that SHOULD fix any issues with the Pioneer AppRadio. The app was forcing a specific system dock state even if the default settings were used, and it's likely that Android switches to a different dock state when connected to the AppRadio. Let me know if the June 21st update fixes things.

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
I just pushed an update that SHOULD fix any issues with the Pioneer AppRadio. The app was forcing a specific system dock state even if the default settings were used, and it's likely that Android switches to a different dock state when connected to the AppRadio. Let me know if the June 21st update fixes things.

I will test today, and report accordingly, and copy post on ARU thread for the many users that might appreciate your work.

lpasq

Feb 14, 2006
I will test today, and report accordingly, and copy post on ARU thread for the many users that might appreciate your work.

No luck... Logcat will be pm'd

update: issue likely related to nova or gravitybox... all works for me by simply toggling expand desktop tile in notifications tray once after secondscreen active

update 2: wow! thanks for the diligent bug hunt and fix!!!

Last edited:

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
No luck... Logcat will be pm'd

update: issue likely related to nova or gravitybox... all works for me by simply toggling expand desktop tile in notifications tray once after secondscreen active

update 2: wow! thanks for the diligent bug hunt and fix!!!

Just pushed version 1.2.5 to the Play Store, it fixes the issues @lpasq has described regarding GravityBox and expanded desktop.

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
Would anyone be interested in a built-in profile for the AppRadio? Using 800x480 as the resolution and maybe 213dpi for density. I don't own an AppRadio myself but is that a good combo? It wouldn't have backlight off checked by default as that is an option I want users to turn on manually.

Reactions: jdpdata

jdpdata

Dec 22, 2011
Los Angeles
Would anyone be interested in a built-in profile for the AppRadio? Using 800x480 as the resolution and maybe 213dpi for density. I don't own an AppRadio myself but is that a good combo? It wouldn't have backlight off checked by default as that is an option I want users to turn on manually.

Yeah, but would changing the resolution and DPI have any negative results? I assume my AVH-8500BHS is down rez now, looks fine to me.
Oh, and I'm confirming my issue with backlight turning back is because I was switching to another app that have auto brightness level adjustment (car home ultra). You said you'll come out with a new version to fix this issue? I'd like to test it when it is available.

But other than that, your apk is working beautifully during my 1 hour commute this morning. Thanks!:good:

farmerbb

Oct 9, 2011
Somewhere, Utah
Yeah, but would changing the resolution and DPI have any negative results? I assume my AVH-8500BHS is down rez now, looks fine to me.
Oh, and I'm confirming my issue with backlight turning back is because I was switching to another app that have auto brightness level adjustment (car home ultra). You said you'll come out with a new version to fix this issue? I'd like to test it when it is available.

But other than that, your apk is working beautifully during my 1 hour commute this morning. Thanks!:good:

Well, changing the phone resolution to match the external screen's would eliminate issues such as letterboxing/pillarboxing, fuzzy text, etc. And it would give you a consistent screen output no matter what type of device you hook up (phone or tablet, etc.). It would also theoretically save CPU/GPU cycles and battery running at that resolution.

Negative results would be: home screen icons/widgets potentially disappearing, and the added wait time while your device changes its resolution and DPI. So, I dunno. Again I don't have the AppRadio so I'm not sure what the best user experience would be.

Yeah, Car Home Ultra would definitely mess with my app's backlight off feature. I should be pushing 1.2.6 later today, it will have an "experimental backlight off" option you'll want to try.

Reactions: jdpdata

jdpdata

Dec 22, 2011
Los Angeles
Can I please test v.1.2.6? I haven't purchase your apk yet.
Please email to me jdpdata at gmail dot com. I'm willing to test DPI and resolution changes too.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

SecondScreen is an application designed for power users that frequently connect their Android devices to external displays. It works with your existing screen mirroring solution to give you the best experience possible. With SecondScreen, you can change your device's resolution and density to fit your TV or monitor, enable always-on desktop mode in Chrome, and even turn your device's backlight off, among several other features.

PLEASE READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING:
    • This app REQUIRES elevated permissions, granted via root access or adb shell commands. The app will do nothing if you do not have a rooted device or access to adb.
    • This app is ONLY for devices with AOSP / Google experience ROMs. It is not guaranteed to function properly on devices with manufacturer-skinned ROMs.
    • This app does not provide screen mirroring capabilities on its own. Screen mirroring may require either an MHL/SlimPort adapter or a wireless solution such as Miracast or Chromecast.
    • A Bluetooth keyboard and mouse is strongly recommended as the app can make UI elements smaller and harder to press on the device itself.

Features:

• Easily change resolution and density (DPI) - take full advantage of the resolution of your external display, and show the Android tablet interface if you're using a phone
    • Simple profile-based interface - easy to enable/disable different profiles for different types of displays
    • Many configurable options, including:
     • Automatically enable Bluetooth and Wi-Fi - quickly connect a keyboard, mouse, and/or game controller
     • Automatically enable Daydreams
     • Lock screen orientation to landscape
     • Show desktop sites in Chrome by default - browse the real Web, on your TV!
     • Overscan support for older TVs (Android 4.3+)
     • System-wide immersive mode (Android 5.0+)
     • Disable device backlight and vibration - save battery while your device is connected (not compatible with all devices)
    • Full integration with Tasker
    • Load profiles automatically when a display is connected
    • Quick Actions - quickly and easily run SecondScreen features without creating or editing profiles
    • Homescreen shortcuts - launch a profile with one tap, without entering the app

Download:
    Download SecondScreen on the Play Store
    Download SecondScreen on F-Droid

Explanation of permissions:
    • root access required to change resolution/DPI, disable backlight/vibration, enable desktop-only mode in Chrome
    • "connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi", "view Wi-Fi connections" - required for profiles to enable Wi-Fi
    • "access Bluetooth settings", "pair with Bluetooth devices" - required for profiles to enable Bluetooth
    • "close other apps" - required to refresh the user interface after a resolution/DPI change. Ensure all data is saved before launching a profile.
    • "run at startup" - required to show SecondScreen profile notification after a (soft/hard) reboot
    • "modify system settings" - required for profiles to lock rotation and set brightness

Feedback in this thread is welcomed and appreciated! Hope you guys enjoy the app!

XDA:DevDB Information
    SecondScreen, App for the Android General

Contributors
    farmerbb
    Source Code: https://github.com/farmerbb/SecondScreen

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 2.9.1
    Stable Release Date: 2019-10-31

Created 2014-07-19
    Last Updated 2019-11-02
    Is it possible to add an option for delay when applying profile, say 10 seconds for example. The reason is sometimes profile gets stuck after unplugging HDMI - second screen still keeps applying it after screen off/screen on cycle. I use that with my appradio just to dim the screen and it is very annoying when after unplugging SecondScreen keeps dimming off the screen. I have to either semi-blindly find the profile on my desktop and turn it off or reboot the phone. By adding 10 seconds before dim-out, I'll have a chance to turn the profile off if necessary.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

I actually just pushed an update a few hours ago that alters the backlight off functionality a bit. The backlight will now only turn off if there is a display connected. When disconnecting the display, the backlight will immediately turn back on. So, not exactly what you're looking for, but this should fix the problem you're having.
    Please help me run it properly on Nexus 7 2013. I made a new profile with 1080p resolution but the density of nexus 7 should be 288 which is not one of the options. If I chose device's native density, it won't scale properly. I am using stock ROM with KitKat 4.4.4. I used to run it manually using these commands in the terminal " wm size 1080x1920 " and " wm density 288 " and it was working perfectly but I like your app idea of automating the process so hopefully you can help me find the correct settings to enter in the app. Thank you.

The app doesn't support manually entering values. But, what you can do is manually edit the configuration file for the profile and change the density value to 288. The app stores it's settings using XML files in /data/data/com.farmerbb.secondscreen[.free]/shared_prefs/.

Hi,

I've a tablet (rooted) with Allwinner A31s soc and KitKat 4.4.2 firmware. Neither "Screen Standby" nor "SecondScreen" are able to disable backlight when using HDMI.

Please add support to A31s, thank you.

Best regards,
    cdr

If you want, you can PM me and we can figure out how to add backlight off support for that particular chipset.

The backlight off feature does not play too well with my Verizon LG G3, if that's something you want to incorporate (it should be a pretty popular phone). The backlight off works, but turning it back on is a pain.

Also, I have noticed that this program screws with how SwiftKey draws the keyboard. After everything is turned off, I end up having a huge keyboard that is only able to display one or two letters on the screen.

If the backlight off feature works on the G3 then there should be no issues with it turning the backlight back on.

As for SwiftKey... you're right, I just installed SwiftKey to test and sure enough, the resolution/DPI changes mess with how SwiftKey renders it's graphics. The keyboard itself appears to still work, just the graphics are messed up. You can fix this by either: rebooting your device, or force-stopping the SwiftKey app and setting it as your default keyboard again, but that's not a very elegant solution. I would recommend using a different keyboard if you wish to regularly use SecondScreen.

help, when I expand the notification bar the com.Android.systemui process stops. I have a xt1058 kikat 4.4.3. any solution?

Just to clarify, this only occurs when expanding the notification bar? Does this occur when the device is in tablet UI? If so, you will probably need to use a custom ROM. Motorola's flavor of Android is very close to stock, but just different enough to cause issues like this.
    I posted the strings files in an attachment on the last page, feel free to translate :)

Thank you.
    So here is a Slovak translation :)