Zagg vs. Skinomi vs. BodyGuardz vs. PhantomShield

Search This thread

Zadabest

Mar 30, 2010
For the Droid Razr.

I'm wondering which one has the

1) Best Texture
2) Better overall coverage

Pictures would be appreciated... I'm trying to find the one that covers all areas of the phone the most.

Also, is the bezel of the phone plastic or aluminum?

Thanks

Sexywacko

Dec 20, 2010
Horncastle, Lincolnshire
I have had a few screen protectors for the razr but none seem to go to the edge of the screen (up to the plastic bezel)

Im currently using a stenheil protector and it is as if it isn't there.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

mwep

Jun 5, 2011
Austin, Texas
I tend to lean towards the "wet install" films as well. Especially on the Razr which has a slight bevel on the edge of the screen. This bevel makes the "static" films lift a bit.

Zagg
Has a orange peel texture which is noticeable at angles but when looking straight at the screen it looks perfect. I believe the texture is to help smudges and finger prints. Barely enough solution is included after you wet your hands as instructed. Crappy smoothing tool is too hard.

Skintomi
Texture is very smooth but you have to be very careful during install or you will be left with "squiggles". Its a weird effect but can be eliminated or reduced by installing the film in a steamy bathroom. Nearly as smooth as the bare screen but also attracts smudges and finger prints easily. Good smoothing tool.

ArmorShield
Very similar to Skintomi but made in USA of 3M Film. A little easier to install than the Skintomi and more than ample solution included. Decent/Good smoothing tool.

Couple of hints when installing any "wet" film:

** Wash hands completely to remove dirt from fingers.
** Thoroughly wet hands with solution after washing
** Install in a steamy environment (like a bathroom)
** Once you lay the film, it will slide easily if you don't apply pressure.

Reactions: javelinanddart

chavist

Jul 23, 2007
I have had a few screen protectors for the razr but none seem to go to the edge of the screen (up to the plastic bezel)

I bought extreme guardz for my Razr Maxx and it actually covers the entire screen :D Corner to corner. The texture is great. It was a wet install and cost $1.50 off of ebay.

Reactions: Sexywacko

brunswick000

Apr 16, 2010
Kingston, ON
I bought extreme guardz for my Razr Maxx and it actually covers the entire screen :D Corner to corner. The texture is great. It was a wet install and cost $1.50 off of ebay.

I had Zagg and Stealth Guard before and I currently have the extreme guard on my Nexus S and there is no comparison. The Extreme Guard are the best by far. Zagg is too rubbery and actually attracts smudges and fingerprints. Stealth Guard was ok, but I found they were not cut to the exact shape that was required. The extreme guard fit perfectly, add some non-slip texture, but are barely noticeable on the screen. And given the price they can be purchased for on eBay you really cant go wrong. I have a RAZR coming in the mail and I immediately purchased two full-body shields from Extreme Guard off eBay. Two of them including shipping was like $12 to Canada.

Ziddles

Mar 29, 2012
I'm using the Clear Ultra Crystal Steinheil screen protecter and it's AWESOME. It's thin, but durable. It doesn't have that rubbery feel and you can't even tell that I have a screen protector on.

LuckyHermit

Jun 1, 2012
Shepherd
Im using Steinheil Clear Ultra Crystal as well. It is the best screen protector I have ever used. Very smooth, and clear and tough. I have had mine on for 3 months, and it is still pristine.

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Out of all these, do any cover the sides and corners of the phone? I have a ghost armor on mine and it leaves the edges bare. On my Droid charge it covered everything, but for some reason not my new Razr. That's what needs covered the most, and I don't like cases so would prefer a skin.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using XDA

watt9493

Dec 27, 2010
Croydon, PA
I just installed my zagg late last night. I have to say I'm impressed with it. I only have 1 piece of dust under it, and most of the little bubbles are gone after 7-8 hours.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Stick_man09

Jun 1, 2010
I bought a phantom skinz chromatic earlier this week and it should get here today. I've had a TPU case the whole time and I've always felt it took away from the slim factor no matter how thin it is. I hope the skin is better. I'm pretty careful with my phone and I just wanted something to protect it from surface scratches around the corners and edges. I will let you know how it goes when I get it on there and I'll post some pics too if I can.

Stick_man09

Jun 1, 2010
I just installed a phantom skinz chromatic this past Saturday and I have mixed feelings about it so far. It cost me nearly 30 bucks and it came with the skin and 2 screen protectors. I followed the instructions to the letter and I mostly like the skin but the screen protector not so much. The skin has a nice texture like wood grain and I think it will protect the phone nicely. What I don't like is that there are a lot of gaps in which you can feel the hard edges of the skin. I have been getting used to it over the past few days. I'm having a harder time getting past the irregularities of the screen protector. The instructions say to allow a few days for small bubbles and other hazy imperfections to smooth out. It has improved a lot since install but as you can see in the pics there appears to be what looks like tiny bubbles or dust. These are actually IN the screen protector. There are other things I can't get past. It has a sticky rubbery feel that doesn't feel right when Swyping. There are also small ripples in places that have not gone away. Also the screen responsiveness seems to me to be a bit lower. Menus don't really "coast" anymore when I flick thru. The only real benefits I can see is that it really is smudge resistant to fingerprints. I do think it would protect the screen against some serious attack but its interfering with my enjoyment of the phone; so I'll probably remove the protector and keep the skin and just rely on the gorilla glass.I've had the phone since 11/11 and its done fine without it this far. Just my opinion on this skin. Hope this helps you decide.

Also the Bezel of the phone is plastic to answer your other question. Cheers!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340648319751.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340648319751.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 404
  • uploadfromtaptalk1340648334597.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340648334597.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 408
  • uploadfromtaptalk1340648361268.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340648361268.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 464
  • uploadfromtaptalk1340648373487.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340648373487.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 386

Elsydeon

Feb 10, 2010
Hilo
I usually like to install skins on thin phones like the Razr and my last phone the Xperia Arc, as bulking it up with a case seems to defeat the whole point of the phone's design. Anyways, have a Skinomi on my Arc, and decided to try a Xtremeguardz skin on my Razr...mostly because the Xtremeguardz skin was much cheaper at $5 vs. $15.

Whereas the Skinomi had entirely seperate pieces for the sides, top, and back, the Xtremeguardz back piece wraps around the sides as well...there's seperate pieces for the camera area and very top. Personally I'm not sure I like this full wrap around design, as what I've found in the past is I tend to get annoyed with having these skins stuck to the sides of the phone. The sharp edges tend to catch on my holster case I clip to my belt when sliding the phone in and out, and before long it starts looking chipped at the corner edges. It also tends to pick up dust and debris on the edges and never stays clean.

On the Skinomi for my Arc, I had the option of just simply installing the back battery cover skin, and I opted to leave the rest bare...this worked the best for me as I wasn't constantly feeling the sharp edges nor the stickiness of the skin, and my main concern was having protection for the phone's back when I set it down on surfaces. My leather holster protected the rest of the phone from daily abuse. My Xtremeguardz on my Razr still seems to be curing its bubbles after day 3, and I find also the edges keep getting unstuck on the Xtremeguardz. I haven't started using the phone yet daily, so I'll have to see if I want to stick with using it.

As far as the included screen protectors go that come with these skins, I never bother using them. I find they're all just too sticky on fingers to be used on a swiping surface, so I always stick to regular hard screen protectors to get the smooth gliding sensation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I tend to lean towards the "wet install" films as well. Especially on the Razr which has a slight bevel on the edge of the screen. This bevel makes the "static" films lift a bit.

Zagg
    Has a orange peel texture which is noticeable at angles but when looking straight at the screen it looks perfect. I believe the texture is to help smudges and finger prints. Barely enough solution is included after you wet your hands as instructed. Crappy smoothing tool is too hard.

Skintomi
    Texture is very smooth but you have to be very careful during install or you will be left with "squiggles". Its a weird effect but can be eliminated or reduced by installing the film in a steamy bathroom. Nearly as smooth as the bare screen but also attracts smudges and finger prints easily. Good smoothing tool.

ArmorShield
    Very similar to Skintomi but made in USA of 3M Film. A little easier to install than the Skintomi and more than ample solution included. Decent/Good smoothing tool.

Couple of hints when installing any "wet" film:

** Wash hands completely to remove dirt from fingers.
    ** Thoroughly wet hands with solution after washing
    ** Install in a steamy environment (like a bathroom)
    ** Once you lay the film, it will slide easily if you don't apply pressure.