WiFi dropping out

Search This thread

ThomasHilleman

Jan 2, 2014
Omaha
My rooted Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 keeps dropping the WiFi. It doesn't make sense because it then will automatically reconnect. Any ideas on what's going on? Or have any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sonkameja

Jun 1, 2006
i get the same crap , even if i'm right next to the wifi box ... will constantly evrey 15 seconds flicker in and out of wifi and auto re-connect

****ty software

i bet cyanogenmod would fix this in a sneeze ....
dam you locked bootloader

and DAM YOU VERIZON

Reactions: mwebb34

steve181

Jan 11, 2014
Turn off Bluetooth

My rooted Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 keeps dropping the WiFi. It doesn't make sense because it then will automatically reconnect. Any ideas on what's going on? Or have any suggestions?

I spent several weeks chasing the WIFI bug in my un-rooted Verizion N3, including all the solutions on the web. I finally tried turning off the Bluetooth. That did it! I hope this helps you.

Steve

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012
UPDATED

I just got off the phone with Verizon about the WiFi problem and the REP told me that Samsung would be releasing ota update 4.3.1 in 2 weeks and its suppose to fix everyones problem they been having with WiFi dropping
Can anyone else confirm?

Last edited:

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
I just got off the phone with Verizon about the WiFi problem and the REP told me that Samsung would be releasing a MJE update 4.3.1 in 2 weeks and its suppose to fix everyones problem they been having with WiFi dropping
Can anyone else confirm?

MJE is already out for some time now. Indications are that there is a Kitkat release pending though.

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
this doesnt do squat

Hard to say really. Because they both operate in the ISM band, there is a possibility of interference. For instance, take a look at this old (2002) article in EE Times.. But based on it's age, I would guess that current SOCs in handsets probably have radio hardware/firmware that has "other-protocol awareness" that prevent the device from interfering with itself, but probably do absolutely nothing about interference from/to other devices in the area on the "other" protocol. (That is, other BT devices interfering with the handset during it's use of 802.11, other 802.11 devices interfering with the handset's use of BT, and conversely for both). The protocol standards for Bluetooth and 802.11{a/b/g/n/ac} have mechanisms for cooperation/sharing for devices within their own protocol; but obviously a protocol standard can not have anything to say about something outside of it's own definition.

Then have a look at this Cisco article about the prevalence of interference in WiFi networks. Together with interop problems, it goes a long way to explaining why you see so many different reports of different kinds of trouble - the ISM band is a wide-open, uncontrolled experiment by the FCC. The fact that a lot of devices and combinations of devices succeed (WiFi is quite successful overall) is not a guarantee that trouble experienced in a particular case is the result of defective hardware or software.

Several generations of Android ago I experienced a problem where many devices on a WLAN were successful connecting to a Linksys WiFi router - and my Android phone would associate and authenticate successfully - but never get a DHCP lease. Sounds like a problem with the Android phone software/hardware, right? Except in this particular case, the problem was resolved by updating the router firmware, not the phone.

In that instance, it was tempting to "blame the phone" based on nominal behavior of other devices; but that inference turned out to be incorrect. The reasons that things happened the way they did was probably because the Android phone was staying within protocol, but exhibiting different behaviors than the other Windows/Apple devices on the WLAN, and those compliant - but different - behaviors elicited a bug in the router's software that the other devices did not trip.

That's the deal with Wifi. It takes two to tango. And there's always the possibility of other crap (portable phones, microwaves, baby monitors, wireless analog cameras, fluorescent lights) spoiling the dance.

Sorry to say it, but interop problems happen all the time with WiFi.

If you want to solve them in a particular instance, you have to start digging into the details.

If you control the WiFi router in question, there are far more knobs available to turn on the router than on the phone/tablet. Upgrade your router firmware, and start turning off unnecessary behaviors on the router. If you reduce the constellation of possible behaviors on either or both devices, the likelihood of bug expression will decrease.

Last edited:

ThomasHilleman

Jan 2, 2014
Omaha
Thanks to all who replied to the thread. Still having some issues with Wi-Fi. Has anyone been able to confirm that Verizon will be releasing a new update?

Thanks

lmike6453

Dec 17, 2010
Eagleville PA
Every router we'll be different so the web console interface will be unique per router model.

You want to login to your router via Google chrome or IE, and navigate to something along the lines of Wi-Fi channel frequency.

There should be a range from 1-11 "channels" and you want to try one at a time. Yours could be different than mine depending on interference around you.

I hope this kinda makes sense. This also applies to general networking if your laptop Wi-Fi signal is weak sauce

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012
MJE is already out for some time now. Indications are that there is a Kitkat release pending though.

I have gave verizon/samsung pure h.e.l.l over my WiFi problem i have called them 100× make no mistake it pisses me off that im paying full retail for my note and i be damned its gonna work right. The verizon REP told me that Samsung was gonna release a 4.3.1 update in 2 weeks. 4.3 is Jellybean 4.3.1 is Jellybean....I know 4.3 has been out for sometime. While i was on the phone with VZW *****n about Samsungs mistake she gotten an email say that Samsung was updating to 4.3.1 in 2 weeks. She also said that the previous software didnt have this problem which im unaware of, because my note 3 came out with 4.3. She "VZW REP" went on to say that this started with the MJE 4.3 update. Who knows just have to wait n c.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

My suggestion. Anyone thats having the WiFi problem. Call VERIZON/SAMSUNG EVERYDAY UNTILL THIS GETS FIXXED

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

CALL vzw/samsung and let them know. Callem everyday!

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012

Call verizon and giv e them pure h.e.l.l....callem everyday

mwebb34

Sep 9, 2012
has anyone called vzw to see whats gonna be done to fix the wifi problem???

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

there is no suggestions that really work none. i was told by Vzw that the bug was in 4.3 software. And i was also told that Samsung was gonna be sending out a small ota update which will be 4.3.1 in about a week n a half. unless i was lied to.

sonkameja

Jun 1, 2006
I'm having the opposite god damn problem instead my bluetooth when connected to my BMW drops randomly but the phone will still be connected and the collar will end up being on the handset speaker instead of the car's

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    i get the same crap , even if i'm right next to the wifi box ... will constantly evrey 15 seconds flicker in and out of wifi and auto re-connect

****ty software

i bet cyanogenmod would fix this in a sneeze ....
    dam you locked bootloader

and DAM YOU VERIZON