Using a GSM rom on a CDMA phone - Is the cell radio still powered?

Search This thread

indstr

Oct 25, 2013
So I know this is kind of an unusual/obscure question... But I have a CDMA phone that I bought on ebay, knowing that it had a bad IMEI and not planning on ever making calls with it. When I was looking at the custom roms the other day, I noticed the GSM regions had more ROM options so I thought I would try one of them. Sure enough the ROM works fine except it shows a warning saying "No Service, can't connect to network"... Fine, no problem with me..

But I wonder if the cell radio is still being powered somehow because the ROM can't "touch" it so to speak? I have put the phone in airplane mode and it still shows that "No service" message.

Anyone have any idea? I'd prefer to have the radio completely disabled if possible for 2 reasons: To save battery, and to not emit radiation (you can laugh, but I feel: better safe than sorry, why have it emitting it when I'm never even using it?)

I guess I could always open it and disconnect the cell antenna if no one knows..

Thanks!

CamachoDjr

Mar 4, 2011
I would say just put it in airplane mode and enable wifi & BT (if needed)

R800x / LuPuS v8 480p Kernel / Racing Speed Rom

Hotwire: How does he find them?
Prock: I blame Gregslist.
Hotwire: You mean Craigslist?
Prock: No, Gregslist. If you want something even Craig won't touch, you turn to Greg. ....The Awesomes