[APP][2.3+] TripBudget - fast and stylish planner/logger for trip expenses

Search This thread

Vitiy

Mar 24, 2011
vitiy.info
Create budgets for your upcoming trips and log expenses using this modern designed tool.

tripbudget1.png

Search market for "TripBudget"
Market url: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.calibvr.tripbudget

If you like to travel and don't have unlimited supply of money this app will help you a lot. Make trip budget plans and track trip expenses in the most fast, easy and stylish way.

For the most fast planning new trip budgets the expenses are divided into categories to be added as quickly as possible. You can create several versions of the same trip and compare final estimated values. After planning you can switch from plan mode into spending mode and log actual trip expenses. You can compare the final trip budget cost with the plan at any moment and access full statistics for each trip expense category.

Screenshot-2014-02-11-20.20.10-611x1024.png

The app automatically converts expense values into base currency using public rates from open sources (like European Central Bank, etc) which are updated every day (internet connection is required). You can also set your fixed currency rates for each trip budget.

When you travel TripBudget uses GPS to track expense locations. When you enter money amount you can also set discounts and taxes. If you travel with friends you can enter information about expense sharing.

Incoming updates will also provide cloud synchronisation of trip budgets across your devices (including iOS client, which is coming soon).

Supported languages at the moment: English, Russian, Spanish, French, Dutch, Italian

If anybody want to help with translating interface to one of the following languages [ Bulgarian, Danish, German, Spanish, Finnish, French, Croatian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Serbian, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese ] - there is web interface for easy and fast translation here: http://vitiy.info/localization/tripbudget/

Thanks a lot for your help!

Latest UPDATES:

v1.020
+ New view mode for expenses list - view on map
+ Ability to modify section of expense
+ Click on maps will open system map or navigator
+ Optimizations for large lists of expenses

+ New design and functions of expense view
+ Ability to view expense on the map
+ Ability to delete trip participants
+ Main sections are automatically reordered by usage frequency
+ Fixes for italian localization
+ Minor stability fixes

+ Italian language

+ New languages: español, french and dutch
+ Ability to enter fraction of expense value
+ Fix for crash while setting currency rates
+ Application now has default cache for currency rates
+ Clicking on currency at main tabs opens currency options
+ Additional exit button under Immersive mode

+ support of immersive mode under Android 4.4
+ new functions for money sources

v1.014
+ ability to attach photos to expenses
+ grouping by days and categories in expense lists
+ time-based graphs for expenses
+ ability to change date of expense

+ group trips - add the list of participants to trips and track shared expenses and debts
+ money sources - track balance of your credit cards/cash resources
+ new default categories - visa, breakfast, snacks, coffee, lunch, medical, network
+ expense entry was modified for more user-friendly usage

+ major support for horizontal layouts (tablets)
+ fixes for currency updates
+ new suggestions section at settings

+ Urgent stability fix

1.007-1.008
+ The count of supported currencies was greatly increased
+ You can now enter custom exchange rate for currency (new trip options)
+ App now uses standard keyboard
+ The currency selectors were changed
+ Ability to delete old trips

NOTE: Current version is BETA - any bug reports and suggestions are highly welcome

More information and screens could be found here: http://vitiy.info/tripbudget-fast-budget-calculator-logger-for-trips-android/

XDA:DevDB Information
TripBudget, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
Vitiy

Version Information
Current Beta Version: 1.020

Created 2014-02-11
Last Updated 2014-09-04

Last edited:

Blkweezie

Oct 21, 2011
This will be nice for anyone who is tdy, or travels for work. Pull in the per diem rates and track accordingly

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Vitiy

Jaytronics

Could you implement the ability to snap receipts in each category? I don't take trips like this app is designed for. But I travel for work. And it would be great to use this as an expense tracker and logger. If, you do add the ability to snap pictures of receipts. Could you make it work like the app Handy Scanner? By the way, this app has been designed excellently. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Vitiy

Mar 24, 2011
vitiy.info
Could you implement the ability to snap receipts in each category? I don't take trips like this app is designed for. But I travel for work. And it would be great to use this as an expense tracker and logger. If, you do add the ability to snap pictures of receipts. Could you make it work like the app Handy Scanner? By the way, this app has been designed excellently. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I545

Yes, the pictures are in plans - as ability to attach picture to any expense. I will try to check out this app you mentioned to get some hints. Thanks for your suggestions.

supermamie

Nov 22, 2010
Toulouse
keyboard

I'll try it for my next trip but I already have a few questions :
Why did you implement a keyboard in the app ? I'm too used to swiftkey to use anything else :( (and I'm used to AZERTY not QWERTY so mistakes are guaranteed)
Is it possible to remove a trip ?
The transparency creates a great WOW effect but dometime it is not very clear what is in the interface and what is in the background.
Because of the keyboard I created a trip without name, now the buttons to list trips and edit trip are not available anymore.
The currency screen can be greatly improved, I think 2 lists might help. 1 list of currencies (full name and short name) and one list of countries (I have no idea of the short name of the currency in Hungary for example). A search field can be helpfull too.

I'm already trying the planning part and see how well I manage to stay in budget ^^

Vitiy

Mar 24, 2011
vitiy.info
I'll try it for my next trip but I already have a few questions :
Why did you implement a keyboard in the app ? I'm too used to swiftkey to use anything else :( (and I'm used to AZERTY not QWERTY so mistakes are guaranteed)
Is it possible to remove a trip ?
The transparency creates a great WOW effect but dometime it is not very clear what is in the interface and what is in the background.
Because of the keyboard I created a trip without name, now the buttons to list trips and edit trip are not available anymore.
The currency screen can be greatly improved, I think 2 lists might help. 1 list of currencies (full name and short name) and one list of countries (I have no idea of the short name of the currency in Hungary for example). A search field can be helpfull too.

I'm already trying the planning part and see how well I manage to stay in budget ^^

Thanks a lot for your suggestions - they are very valuable.

Keyboard, as it implemented now comes as part of my cross-platform engine - but, probably, i will attach standard keyboard soon as you are not the first who talks about this problem.

Removing trip is not yet possible - but i will add this function for sure. It will be possible from long touch in the list of trips (with confirmation) i suppose.

I will look into the problem with empty trip name. I expect it to be fixed easy.

About currencies - you are right about the need of country name there as hint. And its important to make usage as fast as possible. Also not all currencies are supported yet - only the public list from European central bank. Im in search of good public data for additional currencies.

Just_s

May 6, 2010
Denver/Albuquerque
Vitiy, thank you for your prompt response in the Play Store. I am really enjoying this app and the potential it has. I also bumped up my rating in the store, because it is obvious that you are pouring yourself into the app and you are very proactive in addressing feedback. That is a great sign for the future of TripBudget!

I agree with the comments of @Jaytronics and @supermamie and was glad to see you address those comments. As far as my comments in the Play store, I am basically in the same boat as these two commenters, considering using this for both work and personal travel. The "reports" I mentioned really comes down to a way of either downloading, printing or exporting the data that you are already gathering with the app. It would be a shame to put in all of the budget and actual info and then have it locked away in the app.

That would go along with @Jaytronics point about the receipt captures. On a side note, and I am not a dev (at least not a good one), so I don't know the logisitics/challenges of OCR, but things like Neat Receipt and Evernote that integrate OCR are incredibly useful and productive tools. Perhaps you could consider that as a longterm idea. It would certainly take your app beyond anything that is out now.

As far as the "Fact" vs. "Actual" I see your point. Still, I think "Fact" is an odd label. Perhaps "Real" or "True" as in "real costs" or "true costs", which are recognized and common financial descriptions?

I'm sure you have a vision so my input is more ideas than requests. I know my ideas may not fit in with your vision and the app is already great. If you do plan on implementing an "expense" aspect to the app, there are plenty of examples out there, but one I have been using since 2008 or so is Xpenser. It is one of the more unique models, that I originally used on a Blackberry before anything else really existed. Worth looking at.

Last edited:

Vitiy

Mar 24, 2011
vitiy.info
Vitiy, thank you for your prompt response in the Play Store. I am really enjoying this app and the potential it has. I also bumped up my rating in the store, because it is obvious that you are pouring yourself into the app and you are very proactive in addressing feedback. That is a great sign for the future of TripBudget!

I agree with the comments of @Jaytronics and @supermamie and was glad to see you address those comments. As far as my comments in the Play store, I am basically in the same boat as these two commenters, considering using this for both work and personal travel. The "reports" I mentioned really comes down to a way of either downloading, printing or exporting the data that you are already gathering with the app. It would be a shame to put in all of the budget and actual info and then have it locked away in the app.

That would go along with @Jaytronics point about the receipt captures. On a side note, and I am not a dev (at least not a good one), so I don't know the logisitics/challenges of OCR, but things like Neat Receipt and Evernote that integrate OCR are incredibly useful and productive tools. Perhaps you could consider that as a longterm idea. It would certainly take your app beyond anything that is out now.

As far as the "Fact" vs. "Actual" I see your point. Still, I think "Fact" is an odd label. Perhaps "Real" or "True" as in "real costs" or "true costs", which are recognized and common financial descriptions?

I'm sure you have a vision so my input is more ideas than requests. I know my ideas may not fit in with your vision and the app is already great. If you do plan on implementing an "expense" aspect to the app, there are plenty of examples out there, but one I have been using since 2003 or so is Xpenser. It is one of the more unique models, that I originally used on a Blackberry before anything else really existed. Worth looking at.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I thought about making reports visible through some web interface later (after cloud synchronisation will be implemented).

OCR would be nice indeed. Cant say anything about recognition libs yet, but its sure have to be included in longterm plans.

'Real' was my first variant, but my friend told me that Fact should be use instead because he saw it inside some Microsoft app :) Should i switch it back? Even more problems will arise when there will be more translations - and there will be no short words at all... I plan to make online translation service (as i made for my another application - http://vitiy.info/public-localizator-web-service-for-online-localization-of-applications/) to translate the app to wide variety of languages.

I will try to get as much useful features as possible from that app you mentioned, as it looks like old project with big budget. I will not create client for blackberry in near future (not sure i will make my engine to support this platform at all as their sells fall rapidly)

Thanks for your suggestions again :)

Just_s

May 6, 2010
Denver/Albuquerque
Thanks for your thoughts!

I thought about making reports visible through some web interface later (after cloud synchronisation will be implemented).

OCR would be nice indeed. Cant say anything about recognition libs yet, but its sure have to be included in longterm plans.

'Real' was my first variant, but my friend told me that Fact should be use instead because he saw it inside some Microsoft app :) Should i switch it back? Even more problems will arise when there will be more translations - and there will be no short words at all... I plan to make online translation service (as i made for my another application - http://vitiy.info/public-localizator-web-service-for-online-localization-of-applications/) to translate the app to wide variety of languages.

I will try to get as much useful features as possible from that app you mentioned, as it looks like old project with big budget. I will not create client for blackberry in near future (not sure i will make my engine to support this platform at all as their sells fall rapidly)

Thanks for your suggestions again :)

Again, thanks for a prompt reply, it is impressive.

I agree with your thinking regarding the reports, it will be a good addition and much more logical after you have finished the cloud implementation.

The OCR is really a wish list item, but if you can make it happen at some point, and make it work well unlike most other apps, your app would be hard to beat.

The Real, True, Actual label thing is just personal preference. I think you should go with what you feel comfortable with and the users can adapt. I will say however that these three terms are far more common in relation to costs/budget/etc. in the business world than Fact, which I've actually never seen used relative to an expense sheet or budget. Again, I think this comes down to your perogative.

The Xpenser app is as you mentioned a very mature product. It was actually 2008 that I started using it not 2003, but still it's been around awhile. I was definitely not recommending any development for Blackberry, just mentioning how far ahead of the game Xpenser was, having a mobile expense tracker before iOS or Android had any market penetration. It is really just a great example of simplicity married with functionality and might give you some ideas on various methods/opportunities for data gathering and input.

Anyway, I am going to use TripBudget over the next few weeks and see how it works for real world trips and planning. Best of luck!

Vitiy

Mar 24, 2011
vitiy.info
Again, thanks for a prompt reply, it is impressive.

I agree with your thinking regarding the reports, it will be a good addition and much more logical after you have finished the cloud implementation.

The OCR is really a wish list item, but if you can make it happen at some point, and make it work well unlike most other apps, your app would be hard to beat.

The Real, True, Actual label thing is just personal preference. I think you should go with what you feel comfortable with and the users can adapt. I will say however that these three terms are far more common in relation to costs/budget/etc. in the business world than Fact, which I've actually never seen used relative to an expense sheet or budget. Again, I think this comes down to your perogative.

The Xpenser app is as you mentioned a very mature product. It was actually 2008 that I started using it not 2003, but still it's been around awhile. I was definitely not recommending any development for Blackberry, just mentioning how far ahead of the game Xpenser was, having a mobile expense tracker before iOS or Android had any market penetration. It is really just a great example of simplicity married with functionality and might give you some ideas on various methods/opportunities for data gathering and input.

Anyway, I am going to use TripBudget over the next few weeks and see how it works for real world trips and planning. Best of luck!

About OCR - right, the main problem is to make it work well.

I will write about the list of ideas i might borrow from Xpenser when ill finish exploring it.

Please write any ideas which will come up while you will use the app in real situations. Im sure there will be a lot of things to add/fix.

Vitiy

Mar 24, 2011
vitiy.info
senyukino27 said:
Hi,

Nice app! Easy to use and has wonderful a UI.

Minor issue: No way to edit the planned time and actual time it happened? Anyway, will it be possible to have a time-based budgeting? It will be easier, at least for me, to edit expenses. For example,
7:00-8:00 Breakfast @ restaurant A (20 USD)
8:00-12:00 Island hopping (99 USD)
> boat fee from island A to B (20 USD)
> boat fee from island B to C (20 USD)
> boat fee from island C to D (20 USD)
> boat fee from island D to A (30 USD)
> tip (9 USD)

"Meal" is more generalized than Dinner.

There are other public vehicles here like jeepney, tricycle, and pedicab especially in rural areas ^_^ An additional means transport "Other" will be more apt, in my opinion. OR Land / Air / Water then a list of every means of public transport possible for each category.

And also, a weather forecast from forecast.io for the destination+specified travel date+a day before and after the trip will be handy. For example,
destination: Tokyo
travel date: Jan 2-5 2015
weather forecast: Jan 1-6 2015

Maybe it is too much to ask. :D I should start looking for a trip organizer to fully track the trip rather than a trip budgeting app ;) But yours is the best looking one. You couldn't blame me for trying :D

Thanks a lot for your attention and suggestions.

There is very thin line between trip organizer and expense logger, especially when logger has strong 'plan' part. So i will add as many organizer features as i can while maintaining simplicity of the application.

Surely, the ability to change date of expense will be added (as its not a big problem to implement).

About the mode when you have some kind of timetable - i have to think how its possible to integrate it. Any suggestions are welcome on that part.

About 'Meal' - may be good word. May be to add restaurant / cafe. As for transport - may be ability to add custom categories would be nice (but im not sure what to do with icons yet).

Forecast is possible feature to add - but im not sure where to place it. And what to do if your trip contains several places?

mentalinc

Sep 27, 2010
Great looking app.

It would be great if you could add the following two features:

A) Sum all trips to show total spent and budgeted
i.e. I'm budgeting a multiple city holiday, with a total overall budget I'd like to track.
If the "The LIST OF TRIPS" page had a sum at the bottom for plan and Fact for each of the holidays would be perfect.

B) Also the ability to enter my own FX rates for the currency exchange.. i.e. the market rate isn't what I paid so the conversion to my local currency is to high or low...

Keep up the good work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Create budgets for your upcoming trips and log expenses using this modern designed tool.

tripbudget1.png

Market url: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.calibvr.tripbudget

If you like to travel and don't have unlimited supply of money this app will help you a lot. Make trip budget plans and track trip expenses in the most fast, easy and stylish way.

For the most fast planning new trip budgets the expenses are divided into categories to be added as quickly as possible. You can create several versions of the same trip and compare final estimated values. After planning you can switch from plan mode into spending mode and log actual trip expenses. You can compare the final trip budget cost with the plan at any moment and access full statistics for each trip expense category.

Screenshot-2014-02-11-20.20.10-611x1024.png

The app automatically converts expense values into base currency using public rates from open sources (like European Central Bank, etc) which are updated every day (internet connection is required). You can also set your fixed currency rates for each trip budget.

When you travel TripBudget uses GPS to track expense locations. When you enter money amount you can also set discounts and taxes. If you travel with friends you can enter information about expense sharing.

Incoming updates will also provide cloud synchronisation of trip budgets across your devices (including iOS client, which is coming soon).

Supported languages at the moment: English, Russian, Spanish, French, Dutch, Italian

If anybody want to help with translating interface to one of the following languages [ Bulgarian, Danish, German, Spanish, Finnish, French, Croatian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Lithuanian, Latvian, Norwegian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Serbian, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese ] - there is web interface for easy and fast translation here: http://vitiy.info/localization/tripbudget/

Thanks a lot for your help!

Latest UPDATES:

v1.020
    + New view mode for expenses list - view on map
    + Ability to modify section of expense
    + Click on maps will open system map or navigator
    + Optimizations for large lists of expenses

+ New design and functions of expense view
    + Ability to view expense on the map
    + Ability to delete trip participants
    + Main sections are automatically reordered by usage frequency
    + Fixes for italian localization
    + Minor stability fixes

+ Italian language

+ New languages: español, french and dutch
    + Ability to enter fraction of expense value
    + Fix for crash while setting currency rates
    + Application now has default cache for currency rates
    + Clicking on currency at main tabs opens currency options
    + Additional exit button under Immersive mode

+ support of immersive mode under Android 4.4
    + new functions for money sources

v1.014
    + ability to attach photos to expenses
    + grouping by days and categories in expense lists
    + time-based graphs for expenses
    + ability to change date of expense

+ group trips - add the list of participants to trips and track shared expenses and debts
    + money sources - track balance of your credit cards/cash resources
    + new default categories - visa, breakfast, snacks, coffee, lunch, medical, network
    + expense entry was modified for more user-friendly usage

+ major support for horizontal layouts (tablets)
    + fixes for currency updates
    + new suggestions section at settings

+ Urgent stability fix

1.007-1.008
    + The count of supported currencies was greatly increased
    + You can now enter custom exchange rate for currency (new trip options)
    + App now uses standard keyboard
    + The currency selectors were changed
    + Ability to delete old trips

NOTE: Current version is BETA - any bug reports and suggestions are highly welcome

More information and screens could be found here: http://vitiy.info/tripbudget-fast-budget-calculator-logger-for-trips-android/

XDA:DevDB Information
    TripBudget, App for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
    Vitiy

Version Information
    Current Beta Version: 1.020

Created 2014-02-11
    Last Updated 2014-09-04
    Looks nice....going to give it a try
    That looks so nice I wish I could afford a trip! haha
    This will be nice for anyone who is tdy, or travels for work. Pull in the per diem rates and track accordingly

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    That looks good app. I will try it. Thanks