HTC TyTN - Replace your blackberry!

Search This thread

roshambo

Feb 26, 2006
Same problem here. I tried locking it to GPRS and it still says "not connected" then immediately "stopped". Can someone who has this working on Cingular post exactly what they did to get it working? That would be MUCH appreciated!

mr rolleyes

Jan 31, 2007
can anyone confirm if this will work with new versions of active sync.

my 8525 arrives tomorrow unlocked going on tmobile, and i am trying to get everything ready to get up and running.

the active sync in this link will not install. it is looking for an /e drive that is my external usb that is hardly ever attached

Last edited:

elebra

Dec 15, 2006
HOW? Help me setup BB connect

I have the software installed and an account through my corporate BES. The PIN just states that it is an unknown type. I attempt to connect the bb connect app, it trys to connect then says "stopped." Any help would be great! Thanks:confused:

interlard

Jan 18, 2007
Got BB Connect working on Cingular 8528, but...

I managed to get BBC working but I've had some big problems with it, I think I am going to give up and go back to carrying my 8525 and a company BlackBerry. Here's what I did, so others can benefit and continue to push the envelope:

I called Cingular and ask them to activate the BlackBerry Connect plan, and turn of the previous unlimited internet plan. I lied and said I was using a Nokia Communicator 9300 (like another thread here told me to, because they're not "supporting" BBC on the 8525 yet). The operator confirmed what I had read elsewhere: BBC would only work in 2G. She also said that having both data plans may cause problems so I agreed to keep it simple and just have the BBC plan, at least while I got it working. However, maybe it's my location (New York City) but I still got 3G on the BBC data plan and the BBC software picked up email fine over 3G (UMTS).

I downloaded and installed the BBC software for the 8525 and the Windows desktop software for BlackBerry Connect. Version 2.1.2.9 of the desktop software, 2.1.2.16 on the 8525. Before installing, I quit (but didn't uninstall) the existing BlackBerry Desktop software. The new BBC Desktop software seemed to pick up on some of the preferences as the old BB Desktop. Eg, it knew the PIN of the old BB device, and offered to switch to the PIN of the 8525 running BBC. After doing the setup, the 8525 started receiving corporate emails. No IT department involvement (much to my relief).

I had chosen to sync the Calendar. I plugged the 8525 into the PC and clicked the "Connect..." button in the bottom-left of the BBC Desktop software window. It took about an hour to download all my work calendar to the device, wiping out the previous calendar that was there before (I had all that data synced to my computer at home, so I'm not worried).

This is where the trouble starts. Sadly, my company is forced to use Lotus Notes as an excuse for an email and calendar program. This means that the calendar becomes corrupted as often as it can. There are certainly broken calendar entries in there, but I'm not going through several years of calendars to remove them. I've tried setting up the archive "feature" to just remove old calendar entries but it doesn't work. Don't talk to me about this.

This doesn't cause problems on the BlackBerry device because it's configured to only sync the most recent X days of data. There seems to be no such setting on the BBC software, though. So I get between 1 hour and 2 days of peace before the 8525 complains about invalid calendar entries. Often they are 1 day events (like birthday reminders) that it complains cross 2 days (starts on 1 Jan ends on 2 Jan) or they seem to have lost the connection with their repeating entries. With a bunch of error dialog boxes filling the screen the device freezes.

I restart but, even with the BBC software set to "Suspend on Restart" the 8525 gets hung on Invalid Calendar (this time displayed in the title bar of the screen, next to the Windows logo). The only option is to restart with the memory card ejected (where I had installed the BBC software), then put it back in and uninstall the BBC software from the 8525.

Sometimes the software didn't uninstall completely, I had to re-install and then uninstall to get it all out.

When it worked, it was pretty good. Not carrying 2 devices was a relief and using a nice big keyboard on a narrow device like the 8525 is more comfortable for me. However, I didn't get attachments to download (yet) and it only seemed to have 2 screenfuls of emails, rather than days and days on the BB device. I don't know what caused this. Is the BBC software storing data on the memory card? Perhaps not, so it maxed out at a small amount?

Also if I ran IM software on the 8525 it permanently blocked BBC from connecting. I still had my personal email sync every 15 mins and the 2 services managed to play nicely.

I would gladly try a newer version of the BBC software, if it seemed to address this problem. I see other posters referring to later version of the BBC software, so maybe that will help.

I also read of an upgraded Cingular ROM for the 8525, possibly being released next month. This is said to include activation of the PTT button and a "Download BlackBerry Connect" link. I'd like to think, it's a more stable version but it's anybody's guess until we try it.

Last edited:

makoto

Jul 11, 2006
Orlando
I work at a company that supports Blackberrys, but I've never used one.

My question is, what advantage does the Blackberry service have over using something like Cingular's Xpress Mail?

I've been using Xpress mail for a while with no problems. It is a push-mail client that works great for synching my messages and calendar. The only caveat is that I have to run the Xpress Mail client on my desktop computer, and if my desktop is down, then it won't work, but my computer is always running so that's not an issue.

Sorry for sounding like n00b but can someone explain the advantage of using BlackBerry connect? I just want to see why it's worth $49.95/month.

dlhendo

Mar 7, 2007
the Blackberry Service is probably not worth it unless you need it to connect to your corporate email. For personal email, it's definitely not worth the additional cost. I'd just go with Xpress mail and the 19.99 data connect plan (which is what I had before I needed to connect to my corporate BBE Server).

Btw, if you are thinking about getting the $49.95 Blackberry service from Cingular, be sure to ask them about the $44.95 service. It's the same thing, lower price, but it has a slightly different product name, like "add-on Blackberry service for Voice" or something like that. They were all ready to sign me up at 49.95 when I asked them if there wasn't a lower rate that I had seen somewhere for 44.95.

This is a great site and it's helped me avoid getting a Blackberry device, so I can enjoy the 3G goodness of the 8525 and get instant BB corporate email.

As far as BBConnect goes, I've had my share of problems with it, but I'm stable right now on a cooked WM6 version with BBC working fine.

GMCloud27

Mar 20, 2007
Chicagoland
the Blackberry Service is probably not worth it unless you need it to connect to your corporate email. For personal email, it's definitely not worth the additional cost. I'd just go with Xpress mail and the 19.99 data connect plan (which is what I had before I needed to connect to my corporate BBE Server).

Btw, if you are thinking about getting the $49.95 Blackberry service from Cingular, be sure to ask them about the $44.95 service. It's the same thing, lower price, but it has a slightly different product name, like "add-on Blackberry service for Voice" or something like that. They were all ready to sign me up at 49.95 when I asked them if there wasn't a lower rate that I had seen somewhere for 44.95.

This is a great site and it's helped me avoid getting a Blackberry device, so I can enjoy the 3G goodness of the 8525 and get instant BB corporate email.

As far as BBConnect goes, I've had my share of problems with it, but I'm stable right now on a cooked WM6 version with BBC working fine.

Just to ask, what version of BB Connect and which ROM are you using? The problem I have right now that drives me up a wall and that I noticed some XDA Live folks not having this problem is that on 2.1.2.54 and BE 1.2, my phone will connect to BB's APN and stay connected but then when I want to browse the internet, I have to connect to WAP.cingular (ISP gives me modem disconnects now since I've changed my plan from PDA Unlimited to PDA + BB Connect). I keep getting so close to buying a BB 8800 and ditching my 8525 but I keep convincing myself against it...

Thanks for any help yoiu can give.

wpbear

Nov 27, 2006
Columbus, GA
Interlard said:
I called Cingular and ask them to activate the BlackBerry Connect plan, and turn of the previous unlimited internet plan. I lied and said I was using a Nokia Communicator 9300 (like another thread here told me to, because they're not "supporting" BBC on the 8525 yet).

Wont the Cingular Rep ask for a IMEI for the Nokia device to start you on that BB Plan.

Last edited:

esseff

Jan 21, 2007
Dissillusioned

Well I have to say, that as much as I love my Jasjam, over the last couple of weeks I have become a little dissillusioned with it and am losing confidence in it.

As a business tool it's primary function as a phone leaves alot to be desired. I've been missing calls because it has gone mute on me, constant drop outs when talking to clients and intermittantly not starting the phone on boot up.

Keeping in touch with my clients is vitally important and I can't have a phone that is so unreliable.

I know it is an amazing little device but it has to have a reliable phone to be marketed to the people that it is designed for.

GMCloud27

Mar 20, 2007
Chicagoland
I agree with you 100%! I care just as much about call reliability as features and tools and up to now, I've had very poor reliabiliy in comparison to BB phones and non-PDA/Smartphones and we have to remember, these ARE phones too...

I'm eagarly awaiting Black 2.0 and that will basically decide for me whether or not I'll be returning my 8525 and going to the BlackBerry 8300 or 8800. Currently Black 1.2 is terrible as a business device ROM and I havn't tested much of LVSW's latest due to BB Connect not working on it :(.

OrionPrime

Feb 10, 2007
Prerequisites?

Noob quetion: I didn't get any of the email setup options when I opened the bbc on my p3600. Do I need a special SIM card for that?

Thanks.

richy240

Jun 3, 2006
H-Town, sucka!
BAH ! ! !

Tytn has more functions, but isn't nearly as good of a phone - especially for someone who spends a lot of time driving

I don't know if I agree that the TyTN is a worse phone than a BlackBerry... I've used both, and I think they're both pretty bad as phones. Maybe some of the newer phone-centric BlackBerrys are better as phones, but the older devices are piss poor.

markus99

Jun 21, 2006
Did you have any issues reply to emails that were sent from users in your company?

My company uses Lotus. When I hit reply to messages from work people, the email address renders in the Notes format with slashes and all of that and doesn't send.

I managed to get BBC working but I've had some big problems with it, I think I am going to give up and go back to carrying my 8525 and a company BlackBerry. Here's what I did, so others can benefit and continue to push the envelope:

I called Cingular and ask them to activate the BlackBerry Connect plan, and turn of the previous unlimited internet plan. I lied and said I was using a Nokia Communicator 9300 (like another thread here told me to, because they're not "supporting" BBC on the 8525 yet). The operator confirmed what I had read elsewhere: BBC would only work in 2G. She also said that having both data plans may cause problems so I agreed to keep it simple and just have the BBC plan, at least while I got it working. However, maybe it's my location (New York City) but I still got 3G on the BBC data plan and the BBC software picked up email fine over 3G (UMTS).

I downloaded and installed the BBC software for the 8525 and the Windows desktop software for BlackBerry Connect. Version 2.1.2.9 of the desktop software, 2.1.2.16 on the 8525. Before installing, I quit (but didn't uninstall) the existing BlackBerry Desktop software. The new BBC Desktop software seemed to pick up on some of the preferences as the old BB Desktop. Eg, it knew the PIN of the old BB device, and offered to switch to the PIN of the 8525 running BBC. After doing the setup, the 8525 started receiving corporate emails. No IT department involvement (much to my relief).

I had chosen to sync the Calendar. I plugged the 8525 into the PC and clicked the "Connect..." button in the bottom-left of the BBC Desktop software window. It took about an hour to download all my work calendar to the device, wiping out the previous calendar that was there before (I had all that data synced to my computer at home, so I'm not worried).

This is where the trouble starts. Sadly, my company is forced to use Lotus Notes as an excuse for an email and calendar program. This means that the calendar becomes corrupted as often as it can. There are certainly broken calendar entries in there, but I'm not going through several years of calendars to remove them. I've tried setting up the archive "feature" to just remove old calendar entries but it doesn't work. Don't talk to me about this.

This doesn't cause problems on the BlackBerry device because it's configured to only sync the most recent X days of data. There seems to be no such setting on the BBC software, though. So I get between 1 hour and 2 days of peace before the 8525 complains about invalid calendar entries. Often they are 1 day events (like birthday reminders) that it complains cross 2 days (starts on 1 Jan ends on 2 Jan) or they seem to have lost the connection with their repeating entries. With a bunch of error dialog boxes filling the screen the device freezes.

I restart but, even with the BBC software set to "Suspend on Restart" the 8525 gets hung on Invalid Calendar (this time displayed in the title bar of the screen, next to the Windows logo). The only option is to restart with the memory card ejected (where I had installed the BBC software), then put it back in and uninstall the BBC software from the 8525.

Sometimes the software didn't uninstall completely, I had to re-install and then uninstall to get it all out.

When it worked, it was pretty good. Not carrying 2 devices was a relief and using a nice big keyboard on a narrow device like the 8525 is more comfortable for me. However, I didn't get attachments to download (yet) and it only seemed to have 2 screenfuls of emails, rather than days and days on the BB device. I don't know what caused this. Is the BBC software storing data on the memory card? Perhaps not, so it maxed out at a small amount?

Also if I ran IM software on the 8525 it permanently blocked BBC from connecting. I still had my personal email sync every 15 mins and the 2 services managed to play nicely.

I would gladly try a newer version of the BBC software, if it seemed to address this problem. I see other posters referring to later version of the BBC software, so maybe that will help.

I also read of an upgraded Cingular ROM for the 8525, possibly being released next month. This is said to include activation of the PTT button and a "Download BlackBerry Connect" link. I'd like to think, it's a more stable version but it's anybody's guess until we try it.

stoker1

Jan 13, 2007
BBConnect 4.0.0.9 on WM6 where to install ,card or Main memory

Just installed BBconnect 4.0.0.9 in Main Memory. Took at least 10 mb Crazy amount of space. I only did that because, my original install was on Storage Card,, and I couldn't seem to configure or get the BBBrowser going. Seems to work reasonably well,except for a little bogging down of system.I would like to know where people are installing their BBconnect program. To their SD card, or to Main..I have a feeling that maybe I should try again to SD card, because I only have 15mb left in Main storage. Also, I would like to find out how I could make this program more efficient after installation. For some reason, of all BBconnect posts on xda, nobody ever talks about install location.