Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL] HTC One 2014 (M8) All-In-One Toolkit V2.0 [4-19-2014] [PERM ROOT]

3,576 posts
Thanks Meter: 9,808

Post Reply Email Thread
10th July 2015, 11:16 PM |#371  
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Ok ok dont beat me up ...... I have a basic knowledge and can follow directions or else i wouldn't have made it this far ......... Thanks for everything and i will do my homework and get ready for the op......

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Those are all function you can easily do without the toolkit, and I highly recommend doing so (without the toolkit) as the toolkit just adds an unnecessary layer of complexity and additional point of failure.

Relocking the bootloader is a single fastboot command: fastboot oem lock

Flashing recovery is also a single fastboot command (after you've downloaded the recovery you want, and placed it in your fastboot folder on your PC). OK, two commands if you really want to be thorough and wipe cache before flashing recovery.

If you aren't familiar with adb/fastboot, its easy to learn, and quite valuable. Frankly, anyone modding Android phones should know how to use this tool (at least the basics). Using a toolkit to shortcut that learning process leaves you up the creek without a paddle if things go south flashing ROMs, mods, etc (which is practically inevitable).

And I can't imagine why you would need the help of a toolkit to run an RUU. RUU is a Windows executable program. Once you've connected the phone to the PC, you literally just click on the RUU icon on your PC, and the program will launch and walk you through the rest.

The OTA route is very different from the RUU route.

If you intend to return to stock ROM and stock recovery to update by OTA, there is no need to relock the bootloader (and in fact, in this case I do not recommend relocking).

After OTA update, you will need to install TWRP again and flash SuperSU to root. You will need the current version of TWRP (2.8.7); and also the latest version (2.46) of SuperSU, as older versions don't work on Lollipop.

Also, be aware that you need to be connected to AT&T's network in order to receive OTAs on the ATT version. No idea if you are on ATT or not, but I know some folks on here are not (and in that case, RUU is your only option to update "officially").

No im not on att i bought the phone from eBay and have shipped it down here to panama but i intended on just downloading the ota from htcdev website ......and could u please explain that one part about not locking my bootloader ... Do i just flash stock 444 recovery and then click on the ruu file so it walks me though the process..... And then with the ota is it the same procedure? Or do i have to place the ota in a certain place in the phone memory for the phone to recognise it and flash like that..... Or if you think its just better to download the 5.01 ruu and go that route .....Sorry to be such a bug and thanks for the advice
13th July 2015, 03:15 PM |#372  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 6,937

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian2018

No im not on att i bought the phone from eBay and have shipped it down here to panama but i intended on just downloading the ota from htcdev website ......

Not sure how I guessed that (you weren't on AT&T's network), but since that is the case, as I already mentioned, for the AT&T version, its not possible to download the OTA files from HTC.

Quote:

......and could u please explain that one part about not locking my bootloader ... Do i just flash stock 444 recovery and then click on the ruu file so it walks me though the process..... And then with the ota is it the same procedure?

I've already stated that RUU and OTA are very different processes (Post 370). I'm not sure why you are now asking if they are the same. Please forget any notion that the process for RUU is any way similar to OTA (there are many critical differences).

For RUU:
- You absolutely cannot RUU with an unlocked bootloder. Only exception is if you have s-off.
- No need to restore stock recovery.

For OTA:
- Stock ROM is required (also needs to match your firmware)
- Stock recovery is required (also needs to match your firmware)
- Relocking bootloader is not required

Quote:

Or do i have to place the ota in a certain place in the phone memory for the phone to recognise it and flash like that..... Or if you think its just better to download the 5.01 ruu and go that route .....

The only way you will get the OTA file, is uploaded by another user (since you can't get it from HTC).

The OTA route is significantly more complicated than RUU; and with more chances for error. OTA method requires you to download and restore the right stock ROM, download and restore the right stock recovery, download the right OTA file, and put it on the phone. If any of those are not available, or if you do any of those steps wrong, the whole process fails, and you are stuck trying to figure out what went wrong. Also, for the AT&T version, the needed files are often not available (since the RUU exists and is easier).

So as I've already stated, the RUU is the easier and better route. Just relock the bootloader with a single command. Then run the RUU (either 3.42 or 4.28 RUUs should work). Very little chance for error.

The only downside to RUU is that it will wipe the phone. But if doing any significant changes to the phone (unlocking bootloader, root, updating OS) you should be prepared for data loss in any case, and backing up your data accordingly.
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint73 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift redpoint73 Ad-Free
13th July 2015, 03:32 PM |#373  
Thanks Meter: 175

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint73

Not sure how I guessed that (you weren't on AT&T's network), but since that is the case, as I already mentioned, for the AT&T version, its not possible to download the OTA files from HTC.

I've already stated that RUU and OTA are very different processes (Post 370). I'm not sure why you are now asking if they are the same. Please forget any notion that the process for RUU is any way similar to OTA (there are many critical differences).

For RUU:
- You absolutely cannot RUU with an unlocked bootloder. Only exception is if you have s-off.
- No need to restore stock recovery.

For OTA:
- Stock ROM is required (also needs to match your firmware)
- Stock recovery is required (also needs to match your firmware)
- Relocking bootloader is not required

The only way you will get the OTA file, is uploaded by another user (since you can't get it from HTC).

The OTA route is significantly more complicated than RUU; and with more chances for error. OTA method requires you to download and restore the right stock ROM, download and restore the right stock recovery, download the right OTA file, and put it on the phone. If any of those are not available, or if you do any of those steps wrong, the whole process fails, and you are stuck trying to figure out what went wrong. Also, for the AT&T version, the needed files are often not available (since the RUU exists and is easier).

So as I've already stated, the RUU is the easier and better route. Just relock the bootloader with a single command. Then run the RUU (either 3.42 or 4.28 RUUs should work). Very little chance for error.

The only downside to RUU is that it will wipe the phone. But if doing any significant changes to the phone (unlocking bootloader, root, updating OS) you should be prepared for data loss in any case, and backing up your data accordingly.

Ok thanks for the advice .. I think i will go the 4.28 ruu route and btw i did find the stock att recovery and the ota is available too i just didnt know there was a easier way ..... Hence all the dumbass questions ..... Thanks alot for clearing that up for me .......and the time for explaining it
3rd August 2015, 08:38 PM |#374  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello

The www.hasoon2000.info is not working

help us please
13th August 2015, 05:29 AM |#376  
Flag Kansas City

More
this keeps telling me i dont have root and it cant install the binaries
15th August 2015, 12:41 PM |#377  
Flag bitonto

More
hi guys does it works with Lollipop?
25th October 2015, 05:18 AM |#378  
Flag Laval
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
Really cool and very useful toolkit!!! Thank you very much!!
18th November 2015, 08:22 AM |#379  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
not going to risk it, took me forever to get back to somewhat normal, when i download this rom my internal memory squeezes and its like r/o
19th November 2015, 09:43 AM |#380  
Thanks Meter: 14,660

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by melston1987

not going to risk it, took me forever to get back to somewhat normal, when i download this rom my internal memory squeezes and its like r/o

Risk what ? This ain't even a rom !
25th November 2015, 07:59 AM |#381  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 249

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hofs

Risk what ? This ain't even a rom !

Can you please share the tool kit in Google drive?
All links are corrupted. Only ads.
Please.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sumondhk1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sumondhk1 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)