Sd card problem

Search This thread

greatnesstx

Aug 29, 2007
I notice I can't delete anything or copy anything to the sd card. Any one else notice this problem.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

jsms0905

Mar 26, 2011
same problem, using solid explorer and it just gives me error but no explanation why, really annoyed

Crooke356

Jun 30, 2011
Indianapolis
I notice I can't delete anything or copy anything to the sd card. Any one else notice this problem.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Is your SD card new or from another device? This has happened in 3 recent devices. My note 2, G Pad 8.3 GPE and M8. By the time I got to the M8, it was more to confirm the issue than anything as I'd already ordered my 64gb Samsung pro $45. So, if I use an SD card that was previously used in another device, the problem your having, always occurs. I put it in the OG device I used it in, no problems. I've tried formatting the SD in a computer and the devices, but still no go. Only putting a new one in works.. well, I'm sure there has to be a fix. I've just never really researched it. I don't know what causes this but I can't imagine this not being fixable. Have you had any results from a Google search?

Sent from my HTC One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Crooke356

Jun 30, 2011
Indianapolis
Okay, I can't delete either..now. or maybe ever. I don't know if I my pictures on there and assumed I was good but definitely can't delete using a file manager. I can delete pictures from the gallery but not file manager. I have a SanDisk 64gb I'm gonna try. Maybe it's brand and HTC doesn't like Samsung.

NotATreoFan

Moderator Emeritus
Okay, I can't delete either..now. or maybe ever. I don't know if I my pictures on there and assumed I was good but definitely can't delete using a file manager. I can delete pictures from the gallery but not file manager. I have a SanDisk 64gb I'm gonna try. Maybe it's brand and HTC doesn't like Samsung.

I have SanDisk 64GB, so that's not the issue. The problem is Google's security changes to SD permissions. You can delete from within apps because they were coded to elevate the required permissions. Once we have root, we'll be able to access the SD card through /mnt/sdcard2 and write/delete to our heart's content.

Reactions: Crooke356

Crooke356

Jun 30, 2011
Indianapolis
I have SanDisk 64GB, so that's not the issue. The problem is Google's security changes to SD permissions. You can delete from within apps because they were coded to elevate the required permissions. Once we have root, we'll be able to access the SD card through /mnt/sdcard2 and write/delete to our heart's content.

Damn.. I knew that at some point..when it didn't matter to me.lol

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
The fix... once you guys have root.. will be the same as it is on other HTC phones getting kitkat

1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart.

Reactions: Crooke356

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That has to do with kitkat and security issues with sd card's. Root should solve that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    I can manage files on the SD card with a computer and MTP, but not through ES File Explorer.

---------------
    Sent from the all new HTC One M8

The fix... once you guys have root.. will be the same as it is on other HTC phones getting kitkat

1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
    2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...<group gid="media_rw" />
    4. Save the changes to the file.
    5. Restart.