[Q] Does this phone really worth buying?

Search This thread

david19au

Jul 17, 2012
Prague
Hello guys,
I'm as of now an iPhone 5 user and my parents have took my phone away because i was using it "too much" for about 5 months ago. Today, me and my parents have been saiyng that because my mom bought a Lumia 920 but she haves some problems with it etc. etc... She said, that she will be using my iPhone 5 as shes normal phone and they offered me a deal, i would still have the iPhone 5 which i can't use much, OR if i'll consider about the S3 Mini. So here's my question, does the S3 Mini worth? Are there many ROMs? Do the features are almost same as in iPhone 5? Does CM11 lags really much or bugs? Is the multitasking good as in iPhone? Can the phone be good in hardware for about next 3-4 years? Therefore, thanks to all who can answer me those questions.

Last edited:

BrainInBlack

Jan 20, 2014
plus.google.com
Is it worth the money?
Yes it is, just bought mine a few months ago, but i think i'll be happy with it for at least a few years.

Same features as the iPhone 5?
Yes and no... there will always be some differences and the most notably will be the display, which is good, but not as good as the one off the iPhone 5.

CM11?
Works fine on my S3 mini GT-I8190, with no lags and bugs at all, if you ignore the small problem with the haptic-feedback on the softbuttons.

Mutitasking?
It is even better than the MT implementation of the iPhone, simply because Android was designed for MT right away.

Will it last for 3-4 years?
Probably not. It's already "old" and samsung isn't even considering updating it to android 4.4.3. It is clearly possible, at least with a stock-like ROM, but they wont do it because their apps won't work very well on it, or they're just to lazy. Take a pic.

With that said, it is still a very good phone, otherwise it wouldn't be sold anymore by major retailers. And the userbase is big enough so that the CM community will supply updated ROM's for it, keeping it up to date, sort of. So it isn't a bad pic, but there won't be much manufacture support for it anymore.

Reactions: david19au

david19au

Jul 17, 2012
Prague
Is it worth the money?
Yes it is, just bought mine a few months ago, but i think i'll be happy with it for at least a few years.

Yes and no... there will always be some differences and the most notably will be the display, which is good, but not as good as the one off the iPhone 5.

CM11?
Works fine on my S3 mini GT-I8190, with no lags and bugs at all, if you ignore the small problem with the haptic-feedback on the softbuttons.

Mutitasking?
It is even better than the MT implementation of the iPhone, simply because Android was designed for MT right away.

Probably not. It's already "old" and samsung isn't even considering updating it to android 4.4.3. It is clearly possible, at least with a stock-like ROM, but they wont do it because their apps won't work very well on it, or they're just to lazy. Take a pic.

With that said, it is still a very good phone, otherwise it wouldn't be sold anymore by major retailers. And the userbase is big enough so that the CM community will supply updated ROM's for it, keeping it up to date, sort of. So it isn't a bad pic, but there won't be much manufacture support for it anymore.

Ok, thanks for the reply, just again with the phone, i meaned the CPU architecture ARMv7, will it be good for gaming, for some apps for the 2-3 years? 'cause i still have a Galaxy Mini which has ARMv6 and there's almost nothing except like really obsolete apps and so on. I'm asking because in case like i have buyed the phone and the next they would announce ARMv8 i would sit in back in front of the door and cry. (Not true but i hope someone understands it :D)

Depends which games you wanna play on it. Small games (less than 100MB) run fine with music playback and a bunch of apps syncing in the background (like Whatsapp, FB, Skype etc.). But when it comes to games like GTA, NFS or similar, they do indeed SOMETIMES lag noticably. In other words, if you're just gonna use the phone for calls, music, web, small games, etc. then it's great. But if you expect to play the newest available games on the S3 Mini without lagging then go look elsewhere (S4 Mini comes to mind). So yeah, that's about it. Let us know what you buy :) Good luck!

david19au

Jul 17, 2012
Prague
Depends which games you wanna play on it. Small games (less than 100MB) run fine with music playback and a bunch of apps syncing in the background (like Whatsapp, FB, Skype etc.). But when it comes to games like GTA, NFS or similar, they do indeed SOMETIMES lag noticably. In other words, if you're just gonna use the phone for calls, music, web, small games, etc. then it's great. But if you expect to play the newest available games on the S3 Mini without lagging then go look elsewhere (S4 Mini comes to mind). So yeah, that's about it. Let us know what you buy :) Good luck!

When it comes to mobile games, I'm not your man. I just have some casual stuff but it works just fine. I mainly use my pc for gaming.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8190 mit Tapatalk
Thank You guys really much, but it's not only games, there are also apps that require the ARMv7 architecture. So I'll simple the question, will be there any new mobile CPU architecture ? (ARMv8 etc.)

Odesláno z mého PAP3400DUO pomocí Tapatalk

david19au

Jul 17, 2012
Prague
I'm reading this article http://www.androidauthority.com/arms-rise-small-acorn-world-leader-376606/ and found out that there might be ARMv8 64-bit. It's written in the 1st paragraph of the article. Take a look.

Ok but when the architecture of the processor will be taken to mobile devices, i think that most of the app will require that architecture... but as they do that, it would need like 2 years so the mobile application companies starts officially supporting and requiring the CPU architecture for their apps, or?

BrainInBlack

Jan 20, 2014
plus.google.com
If you're worrying about the architecture, then i can tell you don't have to... the switch to 64 bit only apps wont happen within the next 3-5 years. Just look at the PC, 64 bit for more than 10 years... and still almost no 64bit exclusive programs.

efaustino84

Feb 13, 2013
Harare
Hello guys,
I'm as of now an iPhone 5 user and my parents have took my phone away because i was using it "too much" for about 5 months ago. Today, me and my parents have been saiyng that because my mom bought a Lumia 920 but she haves some problems with it etc. etc... She said, that she will be using my iPhone 5 as shes normal phone and they offered me a deal, i would still have the iPhone 5 which i can't use much, OR if i'll consider about the S3 Mini. So here's my question, does the S3 Mini worth? Are there many ROMs? Do the features are almost same as in iPhone 5? Does CM11 lags really much or bugs? Is the multitasking good as in iPhone? Can the phone be good in hardware for about next 3-4 years? Therefore, thanks to all who can answer me those questions.

congrats you are the n'th user to post a thread asking if this phone is worth buying
thank you for taking the time to search through xda forums for the answers you required

Reactions: koragg97

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Is it worth the money?

CM11?

Mutitasking?

When it comes to mobile games, I'm not your man. I just have some casual stuff but it works just fine. I mainly use my pc for gaming.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I8190 mit Tapatalk
    I'm reading this article http://www.androidauthority.com/arms-rise-small-acorn-world-leader-376606/ and found out that there might be ARMv8 64-bit. It's written in the 1st paragraph of the article. Take a look.
    If you're worrying about the architecture, then i can tell you don't have to... the switch to 64 bit only apps wont happen within the next 3-5 years. Just look at the PC, 64 bit for more than 10 years... and still almost no 64bit exclusive programs.