***Emergency Thread*** Here To Help!

Search This thread

sandeepsb

Jan 27, 2013
London
Time to call Google and get an exchange just tell them u had it charging over night with the power off and woke up and won't turn on. Nothing else u can do .

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Just went through Google. Here's my problem..

I went to the US last week and bought the Nexus 10 from Amazon. Came back to the UK and the thing died on me. Called up Google but they don't support devices not bought in the Play Store. Amazon want me to send it back to them in the US. Samsung tell me that they don't support the Nexus 10 and if they did they wouldn't be able to use the warranty on a US device.

I'm lost. I don't know what to do now. Any ideas?

Let it charge for a few hours, then turn it on.

Sent from my EVO using xda app-developers app

I've tried that with no luck.

...Awesome...

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 10, 2010
Chicago
plus.google.com
Just went through Google. Here's my problem..

I went to the US last week and bought the Nexus 10 from Amazon. Came back to the UK and the thing died on me. Called up Google but they don't support devices not bought in the Play Store. Amazon want me to send it back to them in the US. Samsung tell me that they don't support the Nexus 10 and if they did they wouldn't be able to use the warranty on a US device.

I'm lost. I don't know what to do now. Any ideas?

I've tried that with no luck.

Amazon is your best bet Idk you have no family in US to ship it to them?

SacGuru

Dec 9, 2012
A friend who is in the UK has just bought a Nexus 10 for me. She would be coming for a visit to India, where I live, next month, and I would get my device from her then. Can anyone please advice me on what are the things I should ask her to check in the device while she's in London, so that I dont get any surprises when she brings it over here? I have heard that many pieces have been defective in one way or the other.
Also, can you write down the simple steps to check the RAM storage? I couldn't figure it out with her over skype.

Sent from my GT-N7100.

Those who help noobs go to heaven. True story.

DN66

Jan 18, 2008
Good Morning All,

I am having a very strange issue that started last night. While installing some app updates, the tablet reset itself and went into a bootloop. The tablet turns on, flashes the "Google" screen and then resets.

It continued to do this through the night until the battery was drained. This morning when I plugged it in to charge, as soon as there was enough power, it started the bootloop again. I am not rooted or unlocked and am running andriod 4.2 stock (I have ingored the 4.2.1 update because of the bugs reported). I have tried to get into the recovery mode, but when I get to the screen with the adroird robot on it's back, it reboots again. Its almost as if the tablet thinks the power button is being pressed when its not! Any help would be appreciated!

hongphooey

Dec 31, 2010
OC, CA
Hello there, I'm in desperate need of help.
I unlocked the bootloader and had problems with bootloop.
I couldn't figure out how to factory reset so I flashed cwm recovery and superboot r1 root tool kit.
I now have cwm v6.0.2.3 and have problems mounting /sdcard/
I tried flashing a rom with fastboot (fastboot flash boot boot.img)
I can't seem to do a factory reset with recovery.
I downloaded the factory image and tried to flash that with fastboot and i think that failed..
Now I dont even have a bootloop...
Can you point me in the right direction?
I'm thinking if I had a rom I could probably flash it. Problem is I can't seem to get a rom in the root of my SD card.

Trusstopher

Sep 14, 2008
I seem to be having a Similar problem to DN66:

Used my N10 quite a bit last night with no problems, last thing I did before I went to bed was told it to install the 10 pending app updates, closed the case lid and when to bed.

This morning I went to use it and it was having trouble connecting to my WiFi so I rebooted using the menu reboot.

This is when the troubles started.

I wasn't really paying attention as it rebooted, but I noticed after 5 or 10 minutes that it was still at the "Google Screen". This being much longer than usual for a reboot, I forced another restart by holding the power button to get the same result.

Booted into the bootloader and selected recovery. I was showing the TWRP screen for about a minute before it returned to the Google boot screen, then gave me the Nexus "X" for booting, but then gave me a "Enter password to Decrypt"...only problem is that my device is not encrypted.

Tried a couple random passwords with no luck, used the power menu again. Tried Recovery again where it keeps hanging at the TWRP boot screen with no progress until back to the "Google" screen.

I have no tried to use Wug's NRT as well as the Nexus 10 Toolkit to try and restore the tablet. With Wug's it says that it has flashed the stock imgage and to wait for it to reboot, but the Nexus doesn't indicate that it ever connected with the computer. With the Nexus 10 Toolkit I have tried to flash stock image as well as flash stock recovery.

When flashing stock image, it gets to the point where it sends the bootloader, succeeds, then hangs at "Writing Bootloader" and the N10 shows "Fastboot Status - flash:bootloader".

When flashing stock recovery, it sends recovery successfully but then hangs at "Fastboot Status - flash:recovery".

It seems that my device is having problems any time it tries to access and/or write to the device.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Running AOKP latest MR2

Last edited:

Trusstopher

Sep 14, 2008
I seem to be having a Similar problem to DN66:

Used my N10 quite a bit last night with no problems, last thing I did before I went to bed was told it to install the 10 pending app updates, closed the case lid and when to bed.

This morning I went to use it and it was having trouble connecting to my WiFi so I rebooted using the menu reboot.

This is when the troubles started.

I wasn't really paying attention as it rebooted, but I noticed after 5 or 10 minutes that it was still at the "Google Screen". This being much longer than usual for a reboot, I forced another restart by holding the power button to get the same result.

Booted into the bootloader and selected recovery. I was showing the TWRP screen for about a minute before it returned to the Google boot screen, then gave me the Nexus "X" for booting, but then gave me a "Enter password to Decrypt"...only problem is that my device is not encrypted.

Tried a couple random passwords with no luck, used the power menu again. Tried Recovery again where it keeps hanging at the TWRP boot screen with no progress until back to the "Google" screen.

I have no tried to use Wug's NRT as well as the Nexus 10 Toolkit to try and restore the tablet. With Wug's it says that it has flashed the stock imgage and to wait for it to reboot, but the Nexus doesn't indicate that it ever connected with the computer. With the Nexus 10 Toolkit I have tried to flash stock image as well as flash stock recovery.

When flashing stock image, it gets to the point where it sends the bootloader, succeeds, then hangs at "Writing Bootloader" and the N10 shows "Fastboot Status - flash:bootloader".

When flashing stock recovery, it sends recovery successfully but then hangs at "Fastboot Status - flash:recovery".

It seems that my device is having problems any time it tries to access and/or write to the device.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Running AOKP latest MR2

After trying many different routes (and successfully getting into TWRP a couple times after waiting for 10+ minutes, but it being unable to mount system, boot, cache, or anything else) I tried the "-w" fastboot command (erase userdata and cache) and surprisingly it worked with no problems and cleared the way for everything else to work the way it should. I had pretty much convinced myself that something had been corrupted beyond repair and I was about to be SOL... but I guess not.

KindleFireGuy

Jan 31, 2012
King
Hello there, I'm in desperate need of help.
I unlocked the bootloader and had problems with bootloop.
I couldn't figure out how to factory reset so I flashed cwm recovery and superboot r1 root tool kit.
I now have cwm v6.0.2.3 and have problems mounting /sdcard/
I tried flashing a rom with fastboot (fastboot flash boot boot.img)
I can't seem to do a factory reset with recovery.
I downloaded the factory image and tried to flash that with fastboot and i think that failed..
Now I dont even have a bootloop...
Can you point me in the right direction?
I'm thinking if I had a rom I could probably flash it. Problem is I can't seem to get a rom in the root of my SD card.
Try adb flashing though cwm

meishkov

May 16, 2010
Sterling Heights, MI
Similar problem to hongphooey. Tried the 1-click method in the toolkit and I fudged up somewhere. I think I ended up erasing my internal storage after doing the factory reset before I could flash a ROM. I ended up having an unlocked bootloader, unrooted, with TWRP installed but no OS installed according to TWRP. Then my laptop wouldn't recognize my nexus 10 and once I flashed the goog factory image I couldn't get developer options to appear, clicking on Build Number multiple times did nothing. Finally got the drivers back installed, but I can't transfer any files between my PC and nexus 10 thru windows explorer. Basically that's my main problem now, well for the time being, that if I could transfer files from my PC I could flash a ROM n be done. And the backups I made prior to erasing everything, trying to restore those 2 doesn't change anything, like nothing new has been added to the device. Not sure what is going on with this.

Irieone

Jul 22, 2010
The Sticks of Indiana
Similar problem to hongphooey. Tried the 1-click method in the toolkit and I fudged up somewhere. I think I ended up erasing my internal storage after doing the factory reset before I could flash a ROM. I ended up having an unlocked bootloader, unrooted, with TWRP installed but no OS installed according to TWRP. Then my laptop wouldn't recognize my nexus 10 and once I flashed the goog factory image I couldn't get developer options to appear, clicking on Build Number multiple times did nothing. Finally got the drivers back installed, but I can't transfer any files between my PC and nexus 10 thru windows explorer. Basically that's my main problem now, well for the time being, that if I could transfer files from my PC I could flash a ROM n be done. And the backups I made prior to erasing everything, trying to restore those 2 doesn't change anything, like nothing new has been added to the device. Not sure what is going on with this.

You will need to sideload a ROM to root storage. You need to have working adb. Just rename the ROM so that it reads as rom.zip

The sideload option is in advanced section of TWRP

put the rom.zip in a known directory

type adb sideload /pathway/rom.zip (if you put the rom.zip in same folder as adb/fastboot the command is just adb sideload rom.zip)

It takes longer, but it will work

meishkov

May 16, 2010
Sterling Heights, MI
You will need to sideload a ROM to root storage. You need to have working adb. Just rename the ROM so that it reads as rom.zip

The sideload option is in advanced section of TWRP

put the rom.zip in a known directory

type adb sideload /pathway/rom.zip (if you put the rom.zip in same folder as adb/fastboot the command is just adb sideload rom.zip)

It takes longer, but it will work

I found that sideload option in TWRP (well I tried CWM as well to see if it made a difference but still same problem) last night and was trying to get it to work. Problem is when I try to install adb and get to the step where u run that command to get to system properties on your PC then environment variables, there is no "PATH" folder for me to select from. That's the point where I'm at now, I don't want to rely on the toolkit to do stuff and I just want adb setup correctly so I can just run commands from my PC plugged into my nexus. Any idea regarding that environment variables step? I appreciate the help.

crgbrstl

Mar 10, 2013
Just had to try TWRP

My own fault, i know. I always format data when installing a clean rom with CWM. Tried the same in TWRP and wiped my OS. I really have no idea what to do. I don't even have a backup to push, even if i could figure out how. If anybody could help me save my Nexus I'd sure appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 11:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

My own fault, i know. I always format data when installing a clean rom with CWM. Tried the same in TWRP and wiped my OS. I really have no idea what to do. I don't even have a backup to push, even if i could figure out how. If anybody could help me save my Nexus I'd sure appreciate it.

Never mind, I got it. Anybody else as dumb as me needs a bailout, use TWRP to boot into recovery and then mskip's tool kit to flash a factory image. Easy Peasy - and for God's sake pay the man!

vizzy

Jan 5, 2012
Stupid question' not really an emergency but....... Is there a HTC sense theme ? I've tried searching and I cannot find one.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

iamikon

May 17, 2012
I found that sideload option in TWRP (well I tried CWM as well to see if it made a difference but still same problem) last night and was trying to get it to work. Problem is when I try to install adb and get to the step where u run that command to get to system properties on your PC then environment variables, there is no "PATH" folder for me to select from. That's the point where I'm at now, I don't want to rely on the toolkit to do stuff and I just want adb setup correctly so I can just run commands from my PC plugged into my nexus. Any idea regarding that environment variables step? I appreciate the help.

You don't choose a path for example (on Linux) adb sideload /home/ikon/download/ROM.zip or for windows adb sideload c:/documents/user/downloads/ROM.zip or whatever the path to the file is

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

Astrel

Mar 15, 2013
Nexus 10 [No ROM] [Wiped Data]

So yeah, I was an idiot. I wiped my ROM and then wiped my data. But I am having trouble installing any other ROMs via fastboot.

It will connect via fastboot to the PC but then it will sit there for ages on 'Sending Data' sending the bootloader and it never completes even though the bootloader is like 4MB big.

Could someone please help or link me to a thread that can help?

C:\android-sdk-windows>fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp-2.3.2.3-manta.img
sending 'recovery' (7246 KB)...
FAILED (data transfer failure (Too many links))
finished. total time: 298.811s

I dont know why it keeps failing.

Last edited:

...Awesome...

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Jul 10, 2010
Chicago
plus.google.com
So yeah, I was an idiot. I wiped my ROM and then wiped my data. But I am having trouble installing any other ROMs via fastboot.

It will connect via fastboot to the PC but then it will sit there for ages on 'Sending Data' sending the bootloader and it never completes even though the bootloader is like 4MB big.

Could someone please help or link me to a thread that can help?

C:\android-sdk-windows>fastboot flash recovery recovery-twrp-2.3.2.3-manta.img
sending 'recovery' (7246 KB)...
FAILED (data transfer failure (Too many links))
finished. total time: 298.811s

I dont know why it keeps failing.

Try renaming the recovery to just recovery.img

Sent from my SCH-I100 using Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This isnt an emergency. But pointless starting a new thread. Ive come from HTC so im new with the nexus series.

What would be the best way to:

Root, install CWM, install rom and kernel.

Ive seen a few different methods, but i just wondered whats the best most efficient way. Any opinions on a rom and kernel would be great to. Stable, smooth and customization aspects are the 3 main things, and wifi must work as i need it for work.

Before its attack the noob, im going out soon thats the only reason i have not researched properly.

thanks

Vizzy :)

I would advise not using a toolkit unless you really must (kinda see little need for them on a Nexus device, but that's just me), but here's a brief rundown of what I do:

- Get Android SDK (not the ADT Eclipse Bundle thing; can use this though but it's like a 20MB vs 400MB download)
    - Download USB Drivers and Platform Tools from SDK
    - Add platform-tools Folder to Windows PATH (so I can run fastboot and adb commands from anywhere)
    - Reboot N10 to Bootloader
    - Connect it to PC and install ADB Bootloader driver (downloaded from SDK)
    - Unlock Bootloader with fastboot oem unlock command
    - Flash TWRP with fastboot command (CWM I guess works too, but I prefer TWRP)
    - Reboot into Recovery
    - Wipe everything (might have to format Data at first if coming straight from bootloader unlock and reboot to wipe everything else)
    - Either transfer the custom ROM, Gapps, and (optional) Kernel zips to a flash drive and hook it to my N10, or adb push said zips to /sdcard
    - Flash zips
    - Wipe Cache/Dalvik from TWRP
    - Reboot and profit :)

- If your going to install a custom ROM, you don't need to have an already rooted device prior to doing so (you can go straight from pure Stock to Custom)
    - My preferred custom ROM is rasbeanjelly and my Kernel is franco.Kernel (rascarlo mentioned he might release an update later today for rasbeanjelly)
    - I hear AOKP (and AOKP-based ROM's) has a problem with the navbar in Portrait mode (as in, it doesn't show). Just something to take note of if you use apps that force Portrait (like Google Wallet or Ingress for example)
    This by far is the best method to unlocking and rooting it.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=34674424

Also AOKP is stable 4.2.1 with lots of customizable options. But CM10.1 is good as well... Less options to customize though.