Definitive fix for the Galaxy S mp3 skipping/pausing/glitching problem

Search This thread

omersak

Oct 15, 2010
Hello all,

Coming from an iphone 3gs, I've had a wonderful experience with the Galaxy S, thanks in large part to the XDA community - Supercurio in particular.

His EQ fix for eclair elevated the Galaxy S audio quality over the iphone 3gs (IMO) which i used as my main music player, and with Froyo the EQ problem was resolved completely.

However, for me, and for a few users as well, a very nasty bug persisted - mp3 files would skip and jitter every 2-3 minutes in every song, and this for an audiophile was unacceptable - and frustrating to the point where i had stopped using the Galaxy S as my main portable player.

Having tried a number of solutions (eliminating widgets, shifting songs to external sd, using a task-killer, bashing my head agaisnt the desk etc), only one worked to put the problem to a permanent end:

http://androidforums.com/captivate-...-playback-stock-player-samsung-captivate.html

pr0virus: "Its from the CPU throttling during playback.

I had the same problem until I noticed while looking at a system panel app that while music was playing my processor would down-clock to 200 sometimes as low as 100mhz.

Got setCPU, set the minimum it would throttle up to 400mhz, kept it on conservative and haven't had a problem. "

So there you have it - Root phone, Install setCPU, set minimum processor speed to 400 (200 works as good in my case) and voila, you have the best PMP on the market!

Also, remove weather and toggle widget as that causes the skipping too

Many thanks again to everyone involved!

El Mono

Apr 17, 2009
Los Angeles
I haven't really thought about this problem for awhile. I recently started using my Galaxy S as my primary music player, be it mp3, m4a or flac. The problem is that it always seems to have some issue with a song during playback (aka: a glitch). It is infrequent, but very annoying. My S9 never has an issue, nor did my Clix2. Regardless of file type, and maybe not often, but it happens.
Initial experience with Froyo (xfjp7) was good. Last night it reappeared during playback of an album. Last song and all of a sudden that brief but distracting "glitch."
Will definitely give your advice a try. Thanks,
El Mono

davanw

Aug 19, 2010
Calgary
I have this issue with my phone as well, but not consistently.

It goes a step further, though. Half the time it starts skipping, a second later the phone will actually turn itself off. The only way to get it to turn back on is to hold the power button for a long 10 seconds.

Anyone else seen this?

Think the setCPU fix will resolve for me as well?

lucbl1

Oct 6, 2010
I've experienced this kind of glitch or lag maybe twice or three times at all with my phone, and it was because i was listening to music, using maps, youtube and internet. I put my songs on external sd card, which seems to be better. And i also use voodoo lagfix (i don't know if it changes something, but my audioplayer became much better).

Hope it helps someone!
Cheers! ;)

peterpandemic

Nov 25, 2010
@omersak i have been suffering with this problem intermittently, and it was really getting to me and ruining my morning run! after searching i realised it was wrong to blame poweramp or supercurio! i did exactly as you said, but set for 'On Demand' and 200mhz minimum. have not had A SINGLE glitch since!

excellent work! thanks so much, i highly recommend this to anyone with music glitches!