*** Tutorial: Flashing ROMs (...and debranding the X1) ***

Search This thread

nel4ik

Nov 15, 2008
troubles after debranding

Hello! Since I've debranding my X1i from Deutch to UK version I got lot of problems.
1. I can't anymore update software thru SE update service. Is it possible to fix?
2. Lot of programs doesn't work, (wayfinder, Xperia Tweaks).
3. Lost quick aсcess (link) "new message". Now I must spend more time to write sms, because the only way is: "start -> messaging -> sms/mms -> new -> sms."

The only positive thing I see - is english language and improve speed of work.

So, is there is future with this ROM I use?

ROM info:
KOVS110
SPL-0.72.OliNex
MicroP1-787
MicroP2-707

ROM version: 1.02.931.3

R1AA017
R15A
GENERIC_UK

strave

Apr 17, 2006
near Stuttgart
Debranding works fine for me

The debranding works fine for me.

After this my German Vodafone X1 don't ignore the WiFi any more and logs in to the WiFi Net without activation of HSDPA...

GREAT JOB

THANK YOU

Jabe

Sep 23, 2008
I have generic German X1 and want to change it into generic UK. Do I need debrand tools (am not debranding anything) or do I just have to install hard-spl and then put the UK ROM (the one olinex provided) on memory card and am good to go?

fmiller1838

Nov 28, 2008
changing language from french to english

First of all thank you for posting solutions in this forum. Though, I am not completely clear and hope somone could explain a bit further for me.

I would like my phone and software to be in english instead of french. This is really all I am trying to accomplish. If I do follow your instructions will this happen? And, if so will I be dumping all the service provider add-on as a result? <== Not that this would be a bad thing. And what happens to the keyboard as a result, if anything? Azerty vs Qwerty

I saw in a few comments people also removed vodaphone in the process. I dont even know what that is. Do I want it or not? Will I be happy to trash it if it is not adding any value?

Also, in order for my phone to work 100% with the services available through my service provider will I have to do anything else or will I be good to go? And, will the phone then be un-blocked?

Lastly, In you instructions it mentions UK English. Do I add this as a step or do I only add this if I already have my phone setup in English?

Thank you in advance

Angelusz

Nov 16, 2008
Nijmegen
Awesome guide you made there Phenx, thanks a lot - this will help a lot of people. Keep up the good work!

Now, as I'm still learning about this, can you answer these questions to soothe my mind?

1) Comparing to a normal computer, is the SPL like a BIOS? Meaning that if I flash it, the ROM (Installation) will remain unchanged?
2) No matter what I do, there's always a way to unbrick it? (be it via micro-SD or USB)
3) I read a lot about the radio being a problem when installing another ROM. Do I need to use anything from my current ROM in the new ROM, or is that only between different types/series of devices?

I'm adept at normal computers, but fairly new to this; been reading A LOT of topics here and trying to learn to basics now. Just need a little sense of security before really starting to harrass my brand new X1 ;)

First thing I'm going to look for now is how to back-up my SPL and ROM for security. wish me luck!

EDIT:

I would like my phone and software to be in english instead of french. This is really all I am trying to accomplish. If I do follow your instructions will this happen? And, if so will I be dumping all the service provider add-on as a result? <== Not that this would be a bad thing. And what happens to the keyboard as a result, if anything? Azerty vs Qwerty

I can answer these for you. If you follow his instructions and install a UK ROM then yes, that will happen. Your ISP settings are configured for installation on first boot of your current ROM. You'll have to manually set these now, as that installation file is not included. The keyboard will most likely be QWERTY, as that's the standard in UK. You'll have to install an AZERTY keyboard yourself (not sure if that must be cooked into the ROM) or find an existing UK ROM with AZERTY installed. Good luck!

Last edited:

phenx

Oct 26, 2008
1) Comparing to a normal computer, is the SPL like a BIOS? Meaning that if I flash it, the ROM (Installation) will remain unchanged?
At least that's how I understand it, too.
2) No matter what I do, there's always a way to unbrick it? (be it via micro-SD or USB)
I can't say this for sure. I think it's very unlikely but not impossible to really brick your device. Some recovery tools can be found in the Hard-SPL thread if I remember correctly.
3) I read a lot about the radio being a problem when installing another ROM. Do I need to use anything from my current ROM in the new ROM, or is that only between different types/series of devices?
No you don't need to use anything of your current rom, because with the message I described you will only flash the OS part of the ROM and leave the radio part untouched.
I'm adept at normal computers, but fairly new to this; been reading A LOT of topics here and trying to learn to basics now. Just need a little sense of security before really starting to harrass my brand new X1 ;)
Me too, the X1 is my first flashable WinMo gadget :D

phenx

Oct 26, 2008
I would like my phone and software to be in english instead of french. This is really all I am trying to accomplish. If I do follow your instructions will this happen?
Yes, you will get the UK English software if you use the correct file (linked in first post) for english.
And, if so will I be dumping all the service provider add-on as a result? <== Not that this would be a bad thing. And what happens to the keyboard as a result, if anything? Azerty vs Qwerty
The keyboard will be QWERTY, but there is a way to change it back to the french layout. You can read more about that in this forum.
I saw in a few comments people also removed vodaphone in the process. I dont even know what that is. Do I want it or not? Will I be happy to trash it if it is not adding any value?
It's a german provider like O2, T-Mobile etc. so this just means they removed the branding.
Also, in order for my phone to work 100% with the services available through my service provider will I have to do anything else or will I be good to go? And, will the phone then be un-blocked?
With un-blocked you mean simlock-free? If yes, your X1 should already be. Afaik X1 has no simlock at all. And I don't think that you need anything else to use the usual services.
Lastly, In you instructions it mentions UK English. Do I add this as a step or do I only add this if I already have my phone setup in English?
Sorry I don't really know what you mean. Just follow step 1 and 2 and use the english files I linked and you'll be fine.

phenx

Oct 26, 2008
I have generic German X1 and want to change it into generic UK. Do I need debrand tools (am not debranding anything) or do I just have to install hard-spl and then put the UK ROM (the one olinex provided) on memory card and am good to go?
Well, debranding ist in fact just flashing another ROM instead of the branded default rom, so there are no "debranding tools". So you need to do Step 1 and 2 with the english files to change your device into an english one.

fmiller1838

Nov 28, 2008
thnx phenx

My phone is scheduled to arrive today! I feel like a kid on xmas. I will follow your instructions to the letter and let you know how it went. :D

Correction phone just arrived!

To be clear I do not have a vodafone. My provider is SFR and they included vodafone for my roaming I think. My guess is this doen't matter.

But since reading nel4ik's comments above could you please let me know if losing any SE quick links is normal. Or, change that I will wait until you reply to his/her post for my answer.

Anyways, sorry to be so thick when it comes to these sort of things. You see I have had my SE P910 and same provider for almost five years without a problem (over 780 hours of talk time!) So I have not had to keep up. Now I am having to catch up. Thank you very very much for all your help.

Last edited:

phenx

Oct 26, 2008
1. I can't anymore update software thru SE update service. Is it possible to fix?
I don't know, never had the SE update service installed and I don't think there is any reason to have it installed.
2. Lot of programs doesn't work, (wayfinder, Xperia Tweaks).
That's strange, because I don't have any problems with Xperia Tweaks or any other program. I never tried out Wayfinder, though.
3. Lost quick aсcess (link) "new message". Now I must spend more time to write sms, because the only way is: "start -> messaging -> sms/mms -> new -> sms."
Where was that link? My T-Mobile german branded device didn't have that link at all.

You could also try some of the customized ROMs (Jacks, Touch-IT etc.)

Jabe

Sep 23, 2008
Well, debranding ist in fact just flashing another ROM instead of the branded default rom, so there are no "debranding tools". So you need to do Step 1 and 2 with the english files to change your device into an english one.

I was confused, because both german and english ROMs in your first post had the link to the same "debranding tools", which I found wierd and it confused me, because I thought they were indeed needed for unbranding (t-mobile, vodafone). So I went ahead and downloaded it anyway to look inside and found Hard-SPL. Silly me, should have done that right away. Your tutorial is great, though. specially for noobies like me, who could go wrong in so many ways :rolleyes:, but you layed it all down for us perfectly.

phenx

Oct 26, 2008
I was confused, because both german and english ROMs in your first post had the link to the same "debranding tools", which I found wierd and it confused me, because I thought they were indeed needed for unbranding (t-mobile, vodafone).

Changed the first post to avoid this confusion, TY for the hint :)

nel4ik

Nov 15, 2008
I don't know, never had the SE update service installed and I don't think there is any reason to have it installed.

That's strange, because I don't have any problems with Xperia Tweaks or any other program. I never tried out Wayfinder, though.

Where was that link? My T-Mobile german branded device didn't have that link at all.

You could also try some of the customized ROMs (Jacks, Touch-IT etc.)

About quick link, I mean desktop quick link (like calendar, contacts). I also have T-mobile german device, and before debranding there was way to customize quick access - Start -> settings -> buttons -> 1.Select a button -> 2.Assing a program - and then chose "new sms mesage". In the button list there was also non material buttons, but now they gone.

Thank's, I'll try re-install this ROM one more time, maybe it will helps.

xperiaman

Oct 31, 2008
Please Help

Hi Guys

I Am A newbie at windows mobile I have successfully done step one but my handset just stays at a white loading screen on step 2 (who Long does it normally take) i have formatted the card as FAT32 and placed the renamed file as the only file on the card i have tried both upper and lower case k

Regards
Xperiaman

Hanx67

Nov 26, 2008
@ xperiaman

I had your same problem as u can see from my last post. I did the same thing again from another pc and then worked perfectly. I now have my ex-German phone in ENGLISH :D

Try changing the pc. I can assure you it WORKS!

Thanks a lot to the hero who took the time to give us all this info. Believe me if I managed, everybody can as I know nothing about this stuff!

Cheers!

Bluecharge

Nov 24, 2008
can´t get ROM via Rapidshare

Thank you for your great work, phenx!!

I´m up to debrand my X1 T-Mobile (german).

But how bad is RapidShare???? Now I try the 4th time to download the ROM,
it stops after 120-130 MB (total 142).
Really frustrating...

Any chance to get the german ROM without using RapidShare?
Please help

Last edited:

fmiller1838

Nov 28, 2008
Feeling very dumb

ok I ran slp.exe and during the installation (rom update) that message comes up saying it will take around ten minutes, progress bar comes up and it finishes in about 30 seconds. Message comes up complete and I click finished.

I than power off (long power botton and tapping yes to power off). I press volume down and than power on (holding volume down) and four color screen never comes up. I tried it usb connecting and not usb connected.

I went straight to next step anyway and was still unable to get four color screen.

**My service does not start until mid-Dec and I see messages from time to time something about setting up different features, service provider related. Anyway I tried the rom update twice once with sim card in and once with sim card out. Same results. Is this an issue?**

Any ideas

Last edited:

swistmen

Apr 6, 2008
what's the rom version of the UK generic rom? is this 1.02.161.7 ? also, what's the software version, is this R1AA020?

Bluecharge

Nov 24, 2008
Hello,

at least I could download the ROM from crappy RapidShare.
Thank you all for not helping.
Nevertheless, if anybody has the same problem, please write me and I will help.

@fmiller1838:
It´s the same with me. Started x1_hardspl.exe, got through dialogs and noticed the progress bar jumping from 0% to 100%. The whole thing finished after 1 Minute.
Then, to verify, I started x1_hardspl.exe again and it says "Current Version 1.02.111.7". So it did not upate to "1.00.X1"!

My Xperia´s production date is 08W41 and yours?

Greetings from Germany,
Bluecharge

P.S.:
I tried step 2 anyway. Phone turns to colour-stripe-mode and says "no image file". SD-card is formatted and loaded with Kovsimg.nbh in root directory.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts