Is App Storage Limit a thing of the past?

Search This thread

Amdathlonuk

May 10, 2009
Abergavenny
I'm surprised these devices are still somewhat limited in their storage capacity.

Is there any reason they cannot implement a 16Gb storage like the iPhone?

I'm not sure what the fundametal differences are...

D

diversificationied

A questiong for you guys running apps from the sd card, do programs just force close if you're using them and then unmount the sd when it's hooked up to the computer?

I had my phone hooked up to the computer while moving some files, I was messing around in dolphin browser, brought up the gesture screen but I couldn't do any gestures because they were stored in the sd card. That was a little annoying to be honest.

shilirong

Jan 17, 2010
I'm surprised these devices are still somewhat limited in their storage capacity.

Is there any reason they cannot implement a 16Gb storage like the iPhone?

I'm not sure what the fundametal differences are...

agreed
so many rich applications on iphone , several of the games even exceed 190MB, that can not happen in android currently. terrible.

bofslime

Jan 16, 2009
Orlando
Personally, I think it will encourage app makers to get lazy and start throwing out bloatware. I still have 145MB of internal storage left, and I have way more apps installed than I ever did on my G1. I've been looking for things to install even, but I have more than anything I want/need so it a non issue. If I however start seeing something like a twitter app that is 10MB, I'm going to start to question why, as twidroid is currently under 2megs, and includes a nice widget.

BrooklynAvi

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 5, 2008
Brooklyn
www.mibapps.com
Personally, I think it will encourage app makers to get lazy and start throwing out bloatware. I still have 145MB of internal storage left, and I have way more apps installed than I ever did on my G1. I've been looking for things to install even, but I have more than anything I want/need so it a non issue. If I however start seeing something like a twitter app that is 10MB, I'm going to start to question why, as twidroid is currently under 2megs, and includes a nice widget.

You obviously don't spend as much time with your phone as I do. The free space of this beautiful device is laughable. The larger storage space will allow for rich multimedia apps and better games. I'd hate to see it used necessarily for bloated Twitter apps but I think it's much more likely to be used for the former rather than the latter.

A question for you guys running apps from the sd card, do programs just force close if you're using them and then unmount the sd when it's hooked up to the computer?

I had my phone hooked up to the computer while moving some files, I was messing around in dolphin browser, brought up the gesture screen but I couldn't do any gestures because they were stored in the sd card. That was a little annoying to be honest.

Two different places. The "sd card" that people mean when they say apps2sd is the Linux ext partition that is placed on the sd card. When your device is mounted, the ext partition does not get mounted along with it. So you will have a fat32 partition to store files such as MP3s, photos, movies, etc. and an ext partition for apps and a few other things.

We all thought the 512MB ROM meant tons of space for apps, but not when more than half is already used out of the box.

This was extremely misleading.

Just a quick reminder to keepyour Market Cache cleared and your Browser Cache cleared. together they can rack up quite a chunk of internal memory unless you use a cache clearing app like eRay etc :)

eRay is a fake cache clearing app (only brings up the settings). Try a real cache clearing app if you are rooted :D See my sig for CacheMate. Gotta self-promote. LOL.