DVB-T dongle running on Nexus 7

Search This thread

Mungulz

Oct 5, 2011
Sydney
Might be a dumb question, but are these USB tuners digital or not? Analogue TV reception is being phased out here and all will require a digital tuner.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mungulz

Oct 5, 2011
Sydney
DVB is Digital Video Broadcating

Thanks for the quick response. Just confirmed that for myself with Google lol. :p

Off to buy a USB tuner and OTG cable.

does this work OK without an amplified antenna? Assuming close to window/outdoors in a good coverage area.

Sikki

Nov 29, 2010
Might be a dumb question, but are these USB tuners digital or not? Analogue TV reception is being phased out here and all will require a digital tuner.

"DVB" means "Digital Video Broadcasting"

Also, no luck on finding channels on mine. Hmm.

lionsh

Apr 8, 2010
i have copied the firmware also. did you d\l it from http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DV...T_USB_Devices?

when you ran startddvb script did you receive any errors? I get an error that the files in /dev/dvb/adapter0 are missing.
only when i create the files manually it passes, but then i can't initialize droid tv.

which kernel version do you use? i have 3.1.10 g52027f9

can you upload the files+script that you used?

thanks.

Quote:

"DVB" means "Digital Video Broadcasting"

Also, no luck on finding channels on mine. Hmm.

Sikki

Nov 29, 2010
i have copied the firmware also. did you d\l it from http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DV...T_USB_Devices?

when you ran startddvb script did you receive any errors? I get an error that the files in /dev/dvb/adapter0 are missing.
only when i create the files manually it passes, but then i can't initialize droid tv.

which kernel version do you use? i have 3.1.10 g52027f9

can you upload the files+script that you used?

That's where I got my firmware, yes.

I still get the init failed on all files, but I assume it's because they're already been "done" once, so theres no need to do it again. Thus it saying "File Exists). So on the first time I added a .ko file to the script, that file didn't produce an error.

Upon further examination, and don't ask me why, it started working when I was browsed to the dev/dvb/adapter0 -folder with the system mounted as Write with my EsExplorer as I plugged in my receiver. Only then will it create the 4 files needed in the folder, and I have no idea why. Maybe because of the terminal used?

So far no luck with getting any channels though. It shows going through all the different frequencies, but gives an error at the end.

lionsh

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the info. i know that the second time it says file exists, but for some reason file dvb-usb-af9015.ko is always failed with file not found although it is. and running demsg gives some error in this ko file. it is strange that it works for you... since we use the same files and same system.

i'll keep investigating further.

That's where I got my firmware, yes.

I still get the init failed on all files, but I assume it's because they're already been "done" once, so theres no need to do it again. Thus it saying "File Exists). So on the first time I added a .ko file to the script, that file didn't produce an error.

Upon further examination, and don't ask me why, it started working when I was browsed to the dev/dvb/adapter0 -folder with the system mounted as Write with my EsExplorer as I plugged in my receiver. Only then will it create the 4 files needed in the folder, and I have no idea why. Maybe because of the terminal used?

So far no luck with getting any channels though. It shows going through all the different frequencies, but gives an error at the end.

Sikki

Nov 29, 2010
Thanks for the info. i know that the second time it says file exists, but for some reason file dvb-usb-af9015.ko is always failed with file not found although it is. and running demsg gives some error in this ko file. it is strange that it works for you... since we use the same files and same system.

i'll keep investigating further.

Can't say for certain, but the af9015 fail seemed to go away when I added the af9013.ko file and put it to the script as well.

A lot of this goes slightly over my head, and I'm pretty sure there's more randomness than patterns in what happened.

Psych0Chimp

Aug 7, 2010
Mine's a Freecom DVB-T USB Stick that I got working using dvb-usb-dtt200u.ko and zl10353.ko. I also put dvb-usb-wt220u-zl0353-01.fw in /etc/firmware.

You have to make sure all your permissions are correct. The first script posted has a mistake in it which doesn't set the correct permissions for the /dev/dvb/adapter0 directory.

Is Droid TV working for those who have got their tuner in the "warm state"?

martintzvetomirov

Dec 13, 2008
Vratsa
martinmarinov.info
I don't have the time to go through all individual questions now but will try to generalize

Yes, droid TV is highly unstable. I started writing my own app and will do the tuning via NDK so will see :) I don't want to give promises when it's going to be ready since it's a learning experience for me as well.

If you get "file missing" error with dmesg saying "missing symbol" then there's a missing dependency. I.e. modules need to be loaded in order and you didn't load a module in this case. I can try to figure out which module was missing by the exact error, but as I said I currently don't have enough time.

A device will work only if it's in a warm state and all permission s are correctly set. The droidTv will do the scanning. If for some reason something behaves funny, try with a hub with external power. If the device is in warm state and permission s are set I see no reason that it won't work. Unless ofcourse there `s something wrong with droidtv, but we don't currently have any alternatives...

In theory everything that can be compiled to Linux from source can be compiled to android. But for example some devices have precompiled drivers which do not work (I have an AverMedia Volar HX which has a proprietary driver precompiked for x86, so no chance running on Android...)

Last edited:

lionsh

Apr 8, 2010
Thanks Martin,

Can you please explain how to compile these KO files, what are do i need? How to compile them for a different Kernel/android version?

Thanks a lot.

I don't have the time to go through all individual questions now but will try to generalize

Yes, droid TV is highly unstable. I started writing my own app and will do the tuning via NDK so will see :) I don't want to give promises when it's going to be ready since it's a learning experience for me as well.

If you get "file missing" error with dmesg saying "missing symbol" then there's a missing dependency. I.e. modules need to be loaded in order and you didn't load a module in this case. I can try to figure out which module was missing by the exact error, but as I said I currently don't have enough time.

A device will work only if it's in a warm state and all permission s are correctly set. The droidTv will do the scanning. If for some reason something behaves funny, try with a hub with external power. If the device is in warm state and permission s are set I see no reason that it won't work. Unless ofcourse there `s something wrong with droidtv, but we don't currently have any alternatives...

In theory everything that can be compiled to Linux from source can be compiled to android. But for example some devices have precompiled drivers which do not work (I have an AverMedia Volar HX which has a proprietary driver precompiked for x86, so no chance running on Android...)

martintzvetomirov

Dec 13, 2008
Vratsa
martinmarinov.info
First get the cross compiler by doing

Code:
git clone https://android.googlesource.com/platform/prebuilt

This is a really useful wiki entry. Follow the steps they recommend for compiling the kernel.

http://code.google.com/p/smartphonebrainscanner2/wiki/Nexus7#Compiling_Kernel

I think on step "Configure kernel. Two things you will want to change are: " you would like to select the DVB drivers to be configured as modules.

Afterwords rather than compiling the whole kernel you would do

Code:
make ARCH=arm SUBARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=[B]PUT_YOUR_CROSS_COMPILER_HERE[/B] modules

Where PUT_YOUR_CROSS_COMPILER_HERE is (for me for example it's crosscompiler/prebuilt/linux-x86/toolchain/arm-eabi-4.4.3/bin/arm-eabi-)

In theory this should work. And it should be easy enough. Please share if you had any success.

Otherwise here's what I actually did.

I did it a bit differently. My "kernel configuration" step was modifying the drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/Makefile, by changing all obj-SOMETHING to obj-m i.e. forcing components to be built as modules. And modifying the /arch/arm/configs/tegra3_android_defconfig b/arch/arm/configs/tegra3_android_defconfig to include
Code:
 CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
+CONFIG_USB=m
+CONFIG_I2C=m
 CONFIG_DVB_USB=m
+CONFIG_RC_CORE=m
Then doing
Code:
make ARCH=arm SUBARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=[B]PUT_YOUR_CROSS_COMPILER_HERE[/B] tegra3_android_defconfig
Before compiling modules. I also needed to update the main Makefile to always output the version of the Android kernel I had for my nexus by doing
Code:
kernelversion:
	@echo $(KERNELVERSION)
(around line 1468 in the main Makefile). And adding this to top of the Makefile
Code:
VERSION = 3
PATCHLEVEL = 1
SUBLEVEL = 10
EXTRAVERSION = -g52027f9
. I hope I'm not missing something...

P.S. At some point during the next month I will sit and write a comprehensive guide on how to build the modules, since to be honest I did a lot of "hacking around" to make it work, there's definitely a simple way. (even possibly make a script that does the compilation for you)

Last edited:

martintzvetomirov

Dec 13, 2008
Vratsa
martinmarinov.info
I created the files :
frontend0
demux0
dvr0
dvr0.ts

in /dev/dvb/adapter0 and now i don't get an error on running sh startdvb (except on *9015.ko being not found)
when i open droid tv and select DVB-T and some country using dvb-t i get an error of unable to determine frontend
so something still missing/wrong.

UPDATE

using dmesg i saw an error for init 9015.ko - Unknown symbol af9013_attach (err 0)
maybe the compilation of this driver was not right, since it is 9015 and not 9013?

I do hope that it's the lack og 9015.ko which is keeping me from watching DVB-T. If I had the dvb-usb-IT9135.ko file i could try a different DVB-T tuner.

You would need to insmod af9013.ko before insmod-ding dvb-usb-af9015.ko

joerlo

Nov 28, 2010
Loving the progress on this, for me dtv isn't what I'm looking for I would love to see a working live video input displayed on my nexus for a project I'm working on using a usb composite video in Interface the type you use to rip vhs to the computer, I'm guessing and hoping the solution is pretty much the same? Any advise and help on this please?
Thanks

Also interested in this. Keep us posted.

micks_address

Apr 12, 2010
keeping an eye on this thread as im currently withouth my nexus 7 but should have it back over the weekend.. if anyone gets working with a ps3 play tv tuner let us know.. cheers mick

impoze

Aug 5, 2007
i've got up to droidtv scanning, lists a lot of numbers e.g. 592599: (time:04:24)
and then doesnt do anything

is my reception too weak?

can't wait to see your alternative to droidtv, keeps crashing

----------------------------

OK, plugged into wall aerial and could scan for channels but now when I open a channel it just stays black

am I missing something?

Last edited:

Kas206

May 30, 2009
London
I cant get it to work. I got all the modules files in the right place. but i keep getting the error below

FGcrw.png

This is what i get when I dmesg. So i know my dongle is recognised

tc0yC.png

This what happenes when i start Droid TV

0kmU2.png

martintzvetomirov

Dec 13, 2008
Vratsa
martinmarinov.info
I cant get it to work. I got all the modules files in the right place. but i keep getting the error below
This is not an error. This is a success :) It means that the modules are already loaded. Now you have everything set up! You need to go to /dev/dvb with your favorite file explorer (like ES) and change the permissions to this dir and all subdirs and files to writable and voilà! It should be working:)

i've got up to droidtv scanning, lists a lot of numbers e.g. 592599: (time:04:24)
and then doesnt do anything

is my reception too weak?

can't wait to see your alternative to droidtv, keeps crashing

----------------------------

OK, plugged into wall aerial and could scan for channels but now when I open a channel it just stays black

am I missing something?

Where you from? There is a chance that DVB-T in your country could be MPEG-4 and that DroidTV might only support MPEG-2. Those are just speculations though. Is your dongle working fine with the same antenna via your PC?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

Kas206

May 30, 2009
London
I found another way to stream from the PC to Nexus 7

Connect the adapter to your pc

Download Nero Media Home from the link below. Run the setup and scan for TV channels.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/File-Sharing/Nero-MediaHome.shtml

Install DK UPNP/DLNA Player from the Play store (Only one that works for me)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.upnp.upnpctrl&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS51cG5wLnVwbnBjdHJsIl0.

open the app and click on nero media home and all channels should be listed there.

Use Mx player to play them

iiFtj.png

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: The information below is quite dated. If you are interested in watching TV on Android without root with the RTL-SDR dongles check out Aerial TV on XDA.

--------

Ok guys, I am proud to announce that I was able to run a DVB-T tuner on my Nexus 7 :)

If your kernel is 3.1.10-g52027f9 and your dongle is RTL2832U based

If you have a rooted Nexus 7 with kernel 3.1.10-g52027f9 and a RTL2832U based DVB-T dongle, then you can also have your dongle up and running in a matter of minutes. Here are the steps:

1. Download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24106229/NexusDvb.rar
    2. Install droidtv.apk from the rar (you can also find it at https://github.com/chrulri/droidtv)
    3. Get a Terminal emulator and cd to the folder where you have extracted the rar. Type in:
      • su
      • sh startdvb
    4. Make sure that all of the files and folders inside /dev/dvb have highest permissions.
    5. Start DroidTV and enjoy!!!

Different dongle, kernel 3.1.10-g52027f9

If you have the same kernel and a dongle that has its drivers built in the kernel according to http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices , then you can download this rar file - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24106229/all-modules.rar (Last updated 20 Aug 22:22 GMT). Those are all of the kernel modules I compiled. You may be able to find your usb driver there.

Compiling kernel modules

If you don't have the same kernel or a dongle is not supported, you will need to get the kernel source and compile the modules yourself. Here's how you do that.
    • Make sure you are running Linux and have make and git already installed
    • Download dvbn7comp and put it into a new directory. Make sure dvbn7comp is executable by running chmod +x dvbn7comp inside the folder
    • Invoke the script like this ./dvbn7comp <kernel_version>. For example if you want to have the modules compiled for 3.1.10-g05b777c, you would run ./dvbn7comp 3.1.10-g05b777c
    • Wait - it may take a while. Usually about 15 minutes depending on your network and CPU speed.
    • After the script finishes running, the .ko files would be put in a directory called output_3.1.10-g05b777c

That's it!

Note: The script will download the kernel source and the toolchain and it will attempt to find the commit that contains the required kernel version. Then it will configure the kernel for DVB-T support and will compile the modules and copy them to the output folder. If you run the script again and the sources are already present, it will not download them again, so any subsequent runs of the script would be faster!

Patching the precompiled binaries [NEW]

For those who have another kernel version, you don't need to recompile dvb modules. If your kernel version is not in git revisions, you will just fail with 'fatal: ambiguous argument '3.1.10-xxxxxxxx': unknown revision or path not in the working tree'. Fortunately, there's a much faster and much simpler way to get dvb modules for your kernel version. You don't need git, make, toolchain, kernel source...
    Nearly every Android kernel for Nexus 7 is based on 3.1.10 linux kernel (because of nvidia's closed source driver for graphics card), so kernel version for your Nexus 7 will be always 3.1.10-xxxxxxxx.
    You can get directly precompiled binary modules (aka *.ko files) at post #1 and patch them for your kernel version:
    Code:
    perl -pi -e 's/3.1.10-g52027f9/3.1.10-xxxxxxxx/g' *.ko
    Alternaties: Get precompiled binary modules at post #80 (more complete than modules from post #1) and patch them:
    Code:
    perl -pi -e 's/3.1.10-g22b4fcd/3.1.10-xxxxxxxx/g' *.ko
    Alternaties 2: Post #129, the same way:
    Code:
    perl -pi -e 's/3.1.10-g05b777c/3.1.10-xxxxxxxx/g' *.ko
    Basically this command replaces 'magic version' in *.ko files. Version mismatch will prevent insmod with an 'exec format error'.
    Replace xxxxxxxx by your kernel-version, for example if your kernel version is 3.1.10-g30c5396, use:
    Code:
    perl -pi -e 's/3.1.10-g52027f9/3.1.10-g30c5396/g' *.ko
    That's it!
    More info: This way works with Cyanogen Mod kernels/ROMs!!!

How to modify the startdvb script

Code:
    echo "Starting DVB support"
    insmod dvb-core.ko # core support for DVB
    insmod dvb-pll.ko # I am not sure if this is even needed
    insmod rc-core.ko # Support for remote control, some drivers won't load otherwise
    insmod dvb-usb.ko # Support for usb tuners
    insmod dvb-usb-***** # Add here your driver. If more than one needed, add another line
    # if firmware is needed, make sure the firmware is in the right folder, it should be /lib/firmware, but I'm not 100% sure
    # Also some devices won't need the steps below
    echo "Waiting for device"
    sleep 5
    cd /
    mkdir /dev/dvb
    mkdir /dev/dvb/adapter0
    cd /dev/dvb/adapter0
    ln -s /dev/dvb0.frontend0 frontend0
    ln -s /dev/dvb0.demux0 demux0
    ln -s /dev/dvb0.dvr0 dvr0
    ln -s /dev/dvb0.dvr0 dvr0.ts
    chmod -R 777 /dev/dvb* # The original script doesn't have it, but try adding a -R before 777 might ease things a bit
    echo "DONE!"

Troubleshooting

If any error message occurs, type in dmesg in the terminal. This will give more information why something failed.

How do I know if I'm successful

To check whether you have insmoded the kernels right and after connecting the device whether it has been discovered, use dmesg and look for message similar to "Found DVB device xxx in warm state".

I got it running!!!

If you got it running, please do share with us! It seems like there's a lot of fiddling for some devices to be done so any information will prove invaluable for somebody!!!

NOTE: I don't have the time to support this thread any more, sorry if I am not responding to it! All of the directions above are still valid and working! Browse the comments, you might find that someone has compiled the correct modules for your device/kernel or you might ask someone to do it for you! If you want any of the information above to be edited, please PM me!
    I actually have compiled all of the drivers that come with the Linux kernel as well

You can get them from here - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24106229/all-modules.rar

If your device is listed as compatible somewhere here - http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices then you may be lucky :) You just need to know which kernel module to load with insmod (see the startdvb script to see how to do it).

If it's not there or you have a different kernel version, you will need to follow https://source.android.com/source/building-kernels.html . Except for you only need to build the modules, and you need to fiddle around with the Makefiles in order to force some of the components (like the dvb-usb.ko) to be compiled as modules. Good luck!

As far as the tuner I am using, it's http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120958257586 this one. I actually got it for another purpose (http://sdr.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/rtl-sdr), which if I have the time I can try to build an app to bring it to the Android as well :)
    Hi there,
    it is so interesting topic for me, but i dont have a nexus 7 device :(

i want to try it in my htc Sensation and maybe HTC flyer. but as you know RTL2832U is not in standart linux kernel.
    which driver/module you are using to compile? and how to integrate it to android kernel?

I used this RTL2832U driver.

---------- Post added at 11:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

No, i did not have it working before. Im using custom kernel for 4.2.2 and thus under tablet information it says only the version 3.... Not the letter combination after it.

You may have to compile them for your specific kernel. Here are the additional lines I added to the tegra3_android_defconfig file. Use the link above for the RTL2832U kernel module source. It must not be set, but I thought there was a kernel option that would not require the kernel and modules versions to match exactly. Does anyone know?
    Compiling kernel modules

Ok, guys. I've made a script that will compile the kernel modules for Nexus 7 for an arbitrary kernel version. Here's what you need to do:

• Make sure you are running Linux and have make and git already installed
    • Download dvbn7comp and put it into a new directory. Make sure dvbn7comp is executable by running chmod +x dvbn7comp inside the folder
    • Invoke the script like this ./dvbn7comp <kernel_version>. For example if you want to have the modules compiled for 3.1.10-g05b777c, you would run ./dvbn7comp 3.1.10-g05b777c
    • Wait - it may take a while. Usually about 15 minutes depending on your network and CPU speed.
    • After the script finishes running, the .ko files would be put in a directory called output_3.1.10-g05b777c

That's it!

Note: The script will download the kernel source and the toolchain and it will attempt to find the commit that contains the required kernel version. Then it will configure the kernel for DVB-T support and will compile the modules and copy them to the output folder. If you run the script again and the sources are already present, it will not download them again, so any subsequent runs of the script would be faster!

Any comments, success or failure stories would be much appreciated!
    defconfig for v4l-dvb all nexus

First post but log time linux dev. I have been in the dvb development hobby for over 7 years so you can trust my posts. Here is the defconfig I used for dvb modules building cyanogenmod from source. All modules will be built into your rom if you follow the cyanogenmod source build to the T. find your build at cyanogenmod.org Build_for_manta or whatever you devices nickname is...

I will also post this in the Nexus 10 forum for others to use since I am on a N10 not N7. Regardless this will work for your N7. ;)

Here are the extra lines to add to your cyanogenmod_yourdevicehere_defconfig

CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=y
    CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L2_COMMON=m
    CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
    CONFIG_DVB_NET=y
    CONFIG_USB=y
    CONFIG_RC_CORE=m
    CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_DVB=m

# CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_SIMPLE is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA8290 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA827X is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18271 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA9887 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5761 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5767 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT20XX is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2060 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2063 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2266 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2131 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_QT1010 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC2028 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC5000 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC4000 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MXL5005S is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MXL5007T is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MC44S803 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MAX2165 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18218 is not set
    # CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18212 is not set

#
    # Texas Instruments WL128x FM driver (ST based)
    #
    CONFIG_RADIO_WL128X=m
    CONFIG_DVB_MAX_ADAPTERS=8
    CONFIG_DVB_DYNAMIC_MINORS=y
    CONFIG_DVB_CAPTURE_DRIVERS=y

#
    # Supported SAA7146 based PCI Adapters
    #NONE

#
    # Supported USB Adapters
    #
    CONFIG_DVB_USB=m