FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

My Otterbox Defender + Extended Battery Mod

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By kjr52688, Junior Member on 10th June 2013, 02:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I got the idea from a couple guys on here to order the extended battery for my S4 and modify the otterbox defender case to hold the larger battery. Well finally got to do my project and I took pics along the way so I figured I would right up a tutorial on how I did it.

So I ended up getting the Hyperion 5200mAh extended battery off amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BCJ...I1G250JPDDDVHX

Then I purchased the Otterbox Defender case from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C96...sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Things you will need:
-Dremel
-Dry erase marker
-and about 30 mins of your time

Here is my step by steps:

1. I took the otterbox and cut a small hole with the dremel (basically the inside where there wasn't the soft pad)

2. After you cut the start hole it will allow you to line up the case to the phone with the extended battery in the phone. Then trace out then hole with the dry erase marker to the battery. Once you have traced it then removed the battery and line up your trace marks and flip case over holding the battery and trace the inside.

3. Once you cut it test fit it to make sure you don't need to trim any more.

4. Now you need to trace and cut the same hole on the stock back case so the phone will set properly in the otterbox. So trace and cut that case just like you did the otterbox.

5. Once both cases are cut, put phone back cover on, and otterbox, and insert battery.

Now continue building the case.

That's all there is too it. Some finished pictures and comparison to extended battery case.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kjr52688 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kjr52688 Ad-Free

8th July 2013, 06:05 AM |#2  
Flag Virginia Beach, VA.
Thanks Meter: 42

More
Nice review. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The Following User Says Thank You to Adrozz07 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Adrozz07 Ad-Free
4th September 2013, 06:53 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Just wanted to see how this mod working out for you???

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
6th September 2013, 03:14 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
might have to give this a try
16th April 2014, 02:02 AM |#5  
Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 2

More
This was awesome, thanks for sharing! I just did this today, and all I would add is DON'T use a cordless Dremel .... I had to stop and recharge so often! Awesome post, perfect results, thanks!
16th April 2014, 03:31 AM |#6  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 1,753

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dental4usa

This was awesome, thanks for sharing! I just did this today, and all I would add is DON'T use a cordless Dremel .... I had to stop and recharge so often! Awesome post, perfect results, thanks!

I've done this a few times and got through the case in one shot each time lol but i've never been worried about being perfect since the silicon covers it anyway....
16th April 2014, 02:45 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Good job, but I won't be bothered doing it. Have you searched for battery cover with extended battery? It would be more easy to buy it than doing your project

Regards
22nd April 2014, 03:09 PM |#8  
Flag in the streets racing
Thanks Meter: 207

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by heshamtecom

Good job, but I won't be bothered doing it. Have you searched for battery cover with extended battery? It would be more easy to buy it than doing your project

Regards

The whole point is to have a stylish case instead of those bulky generic extended cases. This is much, much better to have. Trust me

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app
13th May 2014, 01:36 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
i have just bought the defender Otterbox case that i want to fit with my Hyperion 7500mha without that i will have problems to use the lateral keys of phone--
16th May 2014, 02:23 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshm.1219

I've done this a few times and got through the case in one shot each time lol but i've never been worried about being perfect since the silicon covers it anyway....

Yeah that was the whole point. It did come with the back cover, and they sell the rubber covers to cover them. But they are super cheap and I didn't want that. The otterbox mod worked perfectly and I rocked that battery for almost 3 days. It was worth it to have the protection of a nice case in addition to the large battery.
19th May 2014, 07:02 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
nice ,looks great,otterbox is a great brand
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)