[Q] Where to find Rooting Guides??

Search This thread

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
Hey guys, I just moved to android nd i wanna root my Desire S. The problem is that its S-On. Also, i can't seem to find anythng particular about rooting. I ws able to jailbreak my iPod for the first time in 1/2 an hour wid the help of Redmondpie and a youtube channel. So, r there any good sites which have (noob friendly) rooting guides? Is there any youtube channel i shud subscribe to? Thanks !

Blezz

Oct 31, 2008
have u even looked at this forum? why are there 100 posts with rooting about s-on? easy: it's not possible.
get a xtc clip if u want to root, beside that there is no way (yet)

Blezz

Oct 31, 2008
well time will show, i am sure sometime there will come the right romleak from our hero 911sniper :D

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Historically HTC android phones always had the best rooting support and dev community. But this year HTC changed their policy and decided to start encrypting their boot loaders. So its a complete change in philosophy and quite honestly I think this is a very bad decision by HTC. They may alienate their user base.

Look at the new Samsung galaxy s2, comes with an unlocked boot loader. Tides could be shifting, that's for sure.

MasterDL

Jan 14, 2011
London
Historically HTC android phones always had the best rooting support and dev community. But this year HTC changed their policy and decided to start encrypting their boot loaders. So its a complete change in philosophy and quite honestly I think this is a very bad decision by HTC. They may alienate their user base.

Look at the new Samsung galaxy s2, comes with an unlocked boot loader. Tides could be shifting, that's for sure.

Definitely I am deeply disappointed with the desire s hardware, when you come out with a next generation phone users expect a next step up like the galaxy s2. HTC will lose out to Samsung and so. Even Sony Ericsson that I dislike before are making the right moves I should have gotten a SE arc or waited for the neo.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

igoivo

Jun 30, 2008
I am also disapointed by HTC's decision to lock Android OS. It does not allow me to use many usefull applications from Andriod market and restricts the basic functionality, such as taking screenshots and making backup. I would prefer to know it before buying the phone from HTC.
As to the rooting, I am afraid that the system upgrades come nowadays over air providing not enough information on the security unlocking. What do you think?

geek_seeds

Dec 21, 2010
For now its imposible to S-Off Desire S without XTC clip...
But time will change everythings dude

For me DS is enough without root

Sent from my HTC Desire S using XDA Premium App

Blezz

Oct 31, 2008
wouldn't be too sure if time will change it
we would need a android 2.4 update for it, cause a 2.3.4 update would be so small that i don't think htc would use a engineering bootloader to develop it

dont know

Feb 12, 2009
wouldn't be too sure if time will change it
we would need a android 2.4 update for it, cause a 2.3.4 update would be so small that i don't think htc would use a engineering bootloader to develop it

Yes :(

Is there a statement from htc IF and WHEN the DesireS WILL be updated to 2.3.4?
(For the htchero the 2.1 updates came 8(!) month later than the official google update...)

Blezz

Oct 31, 2008
there isn't, but i think the desire s will get the 2.3.4 update cause it's only small jump from 2.3.3 to 2.3.4 and 2.3.4 is supporting front camera so it would be in htc's marketing sense

shrome99

May 11, 2011
Chandigarh
GUYS, RELAX !!!!!!! I wasn't asking for Desire S rooting guides, just rooting guides in general, so if you know any sites where i can learn about flashing roms and kernels and about other stuff, (again, NOT FOR DESIRE S BUT IN GENERAL) do post them here. I forgot that i even posted this thread. An email reminded me :p

Blezz

Oct 31, 2008
well the main page for rooting is... well.. u tried xda-developers.com ? seriously, rooting is device specific, not every rooting program works for every device, so you have to look here yourself for the devices u are interested, or look at the general android forum here at tools like OneClickRoot or Visionary etc. which work for some devices but also not for all