[HowTo] Archos gen8 firmware 2.3.81-2.4.83+rw iptables and 1GB ext4 data

Search This thread

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Thanks for all the work. Looks great and I'm about ready to try it but need to know first, will this work on the A70H (250gb version)?
Well, they use the same kernel so I'd expect it would work (though I haven't tried it myself, so no guarantees ;) ) However, as Harfainx says the extra ext4 partition on your harddrive may affect your harddrive life. The iptables stuff should be fine though.

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
will this method works for 2.4.19?
Don't know yet; if Archos has updated the released kernel sources then method should enable you to compile the new kernel yourself. work again. You can NOT use the binaries for 2.3.81 of the first post together with firmware 2.4.19.

Cannot update them right now, will do so soon.

Last edited:

menshen

Jun 28, 2006
Please, I need some help...

I updated to version 2.4.19, and I followed the instructions on post 1.

I rooted succesfully following chulri's method, and I repartitioned Archos, but when I change init.rc from "mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /data noatime nosuid" to "mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data rw noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0 data=writeback nobh" and reboot, I got message "low on storage". Application app2sd said to me that system storage was 228 MB and 2 free MB, instead of 1GB.

What is the problem? With version 2.3.81 it worked perfectly...

I think that mmcblk1p2 is not pointing to 1GB partition in 2.4.19...

Thanks in advanced!

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8

I rooted succesfully following chulri's method, and I repartitioned Archos, but when I change init.rc from "mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /data noatime nosuid" to "mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data rw noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0 data=writeback nobh" and reboot, I got message "low on storage". Application app2sd said to me that system storage was 228 MB and 2 free MB, instead of 1GB.

What is the problem? With version 2.3.81 it worked perfectly...

I think that mmcblk1p2 is not pointing to 1GB partition in 2.4.19...

Thanks in advanced!
I haven't update to 2.4.19 myself yet, so I cannot know for sure, but my guess is that you used chulri's 2.4.19 zImage and initramfs. These do not have ext4 support, and that's why the 1GB partition is not mounted.

I don't know if the kernel sources have changed between 2.3.81 and 2.4.19. Chulri should know, but he's on a holiday right now. What you could try is, to flash my 2.3.81 zImage and initramfs as attached to post 1. In the worst case you cannot boot your tablet anymore but you can fix that by reflashing with Chulri's 2.4.19 zImage and initramfs, which will bring you back to where you are right now.

Good luck.

menshen

Jun 28, 2006
Thanks for your reply, WhoDunnit

Yes, you were right, I was using Chulri's zImage and initramgs. I tried to use your zImage and initramfs (from post 1) but it does not work...

So, are you planning to modify your zImage and initramfs according to 2.4.19?

Thank you very much

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Thanks for your reply, WhoDunnit

Yes, you were right, I was using Chulri's zImage and initramgs. I tried to use your zImage and initramfs (from post 1) but it does not work...

So, are you planning to modify your zImage and initramfs according to 2.4.19?

Thank you very much
Certainly, as soon as I get my hands on the new firmware/kernel sources.

paultamhk

Jan 15, 2010
I haven't update to 2.4.19 myself yet, so I cannot know for sure, but my guess is that you used chulri's 2.4.19 zImage and initramfs. These do not have ext4 support, and that's why the 1GB partition is not mounted.

I don't know if the kernel sources have changed between 2.3.81 and 2.4.19. Chulri should know, but he's on a holiday right now. What you could try is, to flash my 2.3.81 zImage and initramfs as attached to post 1. In the worst case you cannot boot your tablet anymore but you can fix that by reflashing with Chulri's 2.4.19 zImage and initramfs, which will bring you back to where you are right now.

Good luck.

Hi,

Previously I resized the parition to ext4 in 2.3.81 and updated to 2.4.19 and everythings works fine.
The only things to do is you first update the stock fw, then use Chulri 's initramfs and the customized kernal file (Zimage) mentioned on post#2 to flash in DE, then you will see the ext4 partition again in 2.4.29 fw.

Reactions: menshen

menshen

Jun 28, 2006
Hi,

Previously I resized the parition to ext4 in 2.3.81 and updated to 2.4.19 and everythings works fine.
The only things to do is you first update the stock fw, then use Chulri 's initramfs and the customized kernal file (Zimage) mentioned on post#2 to flash in DE, then you will see the ext4 partition again in 2.4.29 fw.

Yes, it works! Thank you very much.

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
update for firmware 2.4.19

OK, I recompiled the kernel for firmware 2.4.19. Changes and kernel added to the first post.

misters

Jun 30, 2007
hello WhoDummit,

i have an Archos 70 IT for a while now, i like it so much because i can do a lot with it and i take it everywhere and i think the size is great because i can put it in only 1 hand easily (it will not be possible with the gen9).

During this time, i have found only one thing, the lag problem, but more specially the little memory size ! I have study the CPU and i use it to 1Ghz less than 20% of the time, but for the memory i must always clean it. To solve partially the problem, i have replace the launcher by Zeam and the result is very good, but for the memory, i think that android is not manage it correctly, apps are in stand by in back ground and the device lag quickly if you don't empty the memory regulary.

Have you a piece of advise to this ?

If i install your kernel, i will have EXT4 for the apps & data, but it is so different compare to EXT3 ?

Best Regards

Mister S

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
hello WhoDummit,
During this time, i have found only one thing, the lag problem, but more specially the little memory size ! I have study the CPU and i use it to 1Ghz less than 20% of the time, but for the memory i must always clean it. To solve
Have you a piece of advise to this ?

If i install your kernel, i will have EXT4 for the apps & data, but it is so different compare to EXT3 ?

I cannot say I recognize that lag problem, so no advise from me there. Probably due to some memory hungry applications (games) you're running?

You can use my kernel with ext3 if you prefer, just make sure you put "ext3" in the init line then.

The benefit of ext4 is speed. Benchmarks I have seen all indicate that ext4 gives a significant boost in disk I/O, which you want because with my setup you will be using your internel sd for apps, caches etc.

misters

Jun 30, 2007

Hello dear WhoDummit :)

i have done all the step from post1 (format A70, install FW 2.4.19, install kernel Chulri's 2.4.19+RW, install your kernel from iptablesext4_2.4.19.zip, repartition my internal storage whit Gparted live CD to create a 2GB partition in EXT4, modify the INIT.RC (at this step i have correctly have a second startup wizard) ) but i obtain the same pb as above => I got message "low on storage" and 2 free MB, instead of 1GB.

Please help me, i don't understand, i do it all step carrefully, i redo the all thing 3 times, and 3 times the same 2 MB free space :(

Best Regards

PS = i have an external SD card in my A70 in addition of the internal storrage split in 2 partitions (6Go FAT32 + 2 Go EXT4), may be the system is mixing partition between intarnal and external when mounting

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Hello dear WhoDummit :)

i have done all the step from post1 (format A70, install FW 2.4.19, install kernel Chulri's 2.4.19+RW, install your kernel from iptablesext4_2.4.19.zip, repartition my internal storage whit Gparted live CD to create a 2GB partition in EXT4, modify the INIT.RC (at this step i have correctly have a second startup wizard) ) but i obtain the same pb as above => I got message "low on storage" and 2 free MB, instead of 1GB.

Please help me, i don't understand, i do it all step carrefully, i redo the all thing 3 times, and 3 times the same 2 MB free space :(

Best Regards

PS = i have an external SD card in my A70 in addition of the internal storrage split in 2 partitions (6Go FAT32 + 2 Go EXT4), may be the system is mixing partition between intarnal and external when mounting
Hmm, mayby you could PM me a copy of your devices /proc/config.gz /init.rc and the output of the command "df" in an adb shell. I don't have my tablet with me at the moment, but does "fdisk" work in an adb shell?

E-P-S

Sep 6, 2007
Siegen
*BUMCHA*

hey it works great. now the 101 is a full service tablet.
droidwall, lbe privacy guard, 1024MB APPS(data)-Memory. *WOW*
Samba works fine,too

Thanks a lot.

guitarist5122

May 25, 2010
Delaware
Anyone successfully do this with windows? Linux would cooperate so tried with windows. For some reason making changes to the init.rc dont stick and that just leaves me stuck at step 6

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App

WhoDunnit

Sep 10, 2007
OnePlus 8
Anyone successfully do this with windows? Linux would cooperate so tried with windows. For some reason making changes to the init.rc dont stick and that just leaves me stuck at step 6

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA App
No help from me, sorry. Just want to mention that poster #36 had the same problem and could only solve it by using Linux.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just wanted my Archos Gen8 to have the latest stock firmware, root access, iptables support (for Droidwall) and a 1GB ext4 data partition. I will show you how to create this setup yourself. This howto describes all steps for a Linux PC with a working adb connection to the Archos Gen8. I am sure all steps can be done from a Windows PC too, but I cannot help you there: I only speak linux. [edit: Harfainx has written a thread on http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=54637 that explains how to do these steps on windows; if you to do this from windows and have iptables and ext4, use my attached kernel and ext4 modifications instead of Harfainx' suggested chulri kernel]

[Archos] = do on tablet
    [Linux] = do on PC
    [Shell] = do in a terminal on PC
    [ADB] = do in a adb shell from PC
    [GParted] = do in gparted in PC
    [Editor] = do in your favorite text editor on PC

All credits for this procedure go to other people (see end of this post); my only contribution is this write up, and the compilation of the new kernel.

1. Use chulri's root method to obtain root+rw with the latest Archos firmware on your Archos Gen8 (download the proper firmware version, and take care to rename the downloaded firmware file to firmware_archos_android_gen8.aos).

2. Install the matching version of my kernel + initramfs (see links below)
    • reboot Archos device and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
    • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Developer Edition Menu"
    • choose "Flash Kernel and Initramfs"
    • connect your Archos device by USB to your computer
    • upload zImage and initramfs.cpio.gz to your device
    • safely disconnect the USB connection
    • press ok on Archos device
    • reboot

3. Repartition your internal SD card
    • reboot Archos device and hold down "Vol-" button after screen went black
    • Go to "Recovery Menu" and then "Repair system” ->"Start USB MSC"
    • Connect tablet to your linux pc
    • Resize interal SD card and add an ext4 partition:
      • [Shell] sudo gparted
      • [GParted] find Archos device. For me it is found on /dev/sdc
      • [GParted] select the Archos partition and resize to have 1024MiB at the end left
      • [GParted] create a new primary partion using all the space you just created, filesystem ext4 and align to MiB
      • [GParted] apply all selected actions, let it finish and quit gparted.
    • unplug and reconnect your device so Linux finds it again.
    • Format the ext4 partition with some nice settings (if your device was on /dev/sdb replace /dev/sdc2 with /dev/sdb2 below):
      • [Shell] sudo mkfs.ext4 -b 4096 -E stride=64,stripe-width=64 -O extent,^huge_file -m 0 -L data /dev/sdc2
      • [Shell] sudo tune2fs -c -1 -i 0 -m 1 -O ^huge_file -o journal_data_writeback /dev/sdc2
      • [Shell] sudo e2fsck /dev/sdc2
    • press ok on Archos device
    • reboot

4. Make your new ext4 partition your /data partition
    • Boot up your Archos and proceed through the startup wizard; do not put too much effort in this because all information you enter now will be lost after this step.
    • Open options->applications and enable debugging support.
    • Connect the Archos to your linux PC
    • [Shell] adb shell
    • [ADB] su; stop; cp /init.rc /sdcard/
    • [Shell] adb pull /sdcard/init.rc
    • Modify init.rc:
      • [Editor] Open the just downloaded init.rc
      • [Editor] Replace the "mount ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 /data noatime nosuid" with "mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /data rw noatime nosuid nodev barrier=0 data=writeback nobh"
      • [Editor] save file and close
    • [Shell] adb push init.rc /sdcard/
    • [ADB] cp /sdcard/init.rc /init.rc
    • [ADB] start
    • reboot

5. Now your device should start up and use your new ext4 partition as /data. In my case after reboot I had to force another reboot (hold on/off for 10sec) for the system to properly boot and come up with the Archos startup wizard again (the previous startup’s data is lost because we have a new /data partition).

6. Enjoy!

All credits for this procedure go to other people; my only contribution is this write up, and the compilation of the new kernel.

Rooting method: chulri
    1GB data partition: chulri and wdl1908
    Ext4 format flags: Sibere
    Proper compilation of iptables and ext4: $aur0n and woti23
    Howto compile the kernel yourself

Compiling this kernel yourself is not very hard.
    1. Set-up chulri's development enviroment
    2. Configure the new kernel
    • [Shell] cd $ARCHOS
    • [Shell] make kernel-config
    • [Config] In Networking support -> Networking options -> Network packet filtering framework (Netfilter)
      • Core Netfilter Configuration -> Netfilter Xtables support: y; Xtables -> "owner" match support: y
      • IP: Netfilter Configuration -> IP tables support: y; Packet filtering: y; REJECT target support: y; LOG target support: y
    • [Config] In Filesystems
      • The Extended 4 (ext4) filesystem: y
      • Ext4 extended attributes: y
    • [Config] save changes and exit
    • [Shell] make kernel-build

After compilation, locate your kernel zImage and flash it together with chulri's initramfs.cpio.gz (which is also provided in the zip in the first post).
    Recommendations to speed up your tablet

Now that you have your Archos Gen8 as you want it, I can recommend two additions to speed up your system.

1. You now have a fast, big ext4 data partition which you should use for all applications:
    • [Shell] adb shell pm setInstallLocation 1
    2. Replace the default Launcher *ANY* launcher but the Archos one. Personally I recommend the Zeam launcher, since it is really lightweight:
    • Get your copy of zeam, install it, press "home" button and make it default to zeam.
    • [ADB] su; cd /system/app; mv Launcher2.apk Launcher2.apknot
      The last step makes sure that the Archos launcher does not startup anymore, saving your memory. The last steps also removes the default Archos wallpapers, so make a copy of the one you want or get some nice new ones.

Since the device setup of this thread uses unionfs to make changes to the /system, you could also just remove /system/app/Launcher2.apk. To restore it you can remove /mnt/system/unionfs/system/app/.wh.Launcher2.apk. (Thanks to skeeterfood for pointing it out.)
    Kernel updated to firmware version 2.4.83. See first post.
    I've requested for the updated kernel sources. As soon as I get them, the kernel will be updated.

Hi WhoDunnit

Any chance of a firmware version for 2.4.80

Regards

Milton (aka Set_The_Tone)