[ADB Setup] Motorola Backflip

Search This thread

j101399j

Aug 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
Install Google Voice Search

Here is how to get Google's Voice Search on your backflip:

This may not be the fix to 100% google search over yahoo that we need yet, but it is a start in the right direction.

1. Download the VoiceSearch_1.5.apk attached below

Follow the install by ADB steps in the first post

Once installed, reboot the phone. (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP)

Now you can add the voice search to your home screen and voice search by google. Once I have the google search bar working I'll post that too

================================
If you get Force Close messages when you try and run it,
1.uninstall it...
2.Reboot (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP)
3.Reinstall and wait 30 seconds (un plug from computer)
4.Reboot (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP)
5.Let everything start and try again.
2233d1268272550-google-voice-search-working-home.png
2234d1268272550-google-voice-search-working-listen.png
2235d1268272550-google-voice-search-working-decode.png
2236d1268272550-google-voice-search-working-results.png

Attachments

• VoiceSearch_1.5.apk
    434 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

moosefist

Sep 13, 2008
i own a backflip,just confirmed adb wont install non markets apks,i keep getting permission denied,i can wait for this device to be modded since i don't need root access just yet,just a minor annoyance that i cant install the htc keyboard apk and chompsms amongst other apps which is in the market but not for 1.5 :(

I can verify i installed the HTC IME with this method also... not sure why you are having issues

dr_chunks

Mar 12, 2010
For anybody who would like to see AT&T and Motorola fix the "no Google" problem, allow the phone to download "untrusted" apps, and other crippling restrictions, join the Facebook group, "Remove the Motorola Backflip's Restrictions". (I tried to post it as a link but they won't let me because I'm a new user)

dyetheskin

Dec 12, 2006
bensalem, pa
steps did work,what i did wrong was "adb shell" first before pushing the files,got some of the apps I wanted on here,others failed since it's from a different sdk or just lost its function such as the modem.apk

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
For some reason DroidExplorer says it cant find the SDK, even though I followed the instructions exactly.

Any ideas?

And slightly OT, but how would one gain access to the apps/markets AT&T locked out?

j101399j

Aug 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
For some reason DroidExplorer says it cant find the SDK, even though I followed the instructions exactly.

Any ideas?

And slightly OT, but how would one gain access to the apps/markets AT&T locked out?

Check out the install help here: http://androidforums.com/429446-post10.html

As for missing apps, as far as I know AT&T has not locked out any apps. The issue is there are more apps for 1.6 and 2.x then 1.5; so if that app was never created for 1.5; it will not show up.

Oct 17, 2008
Hey has anyone tried to grab an old 1.5 build from the android on htc project, unzipping it getting the .apk files open and digging arounf for the google search bar thing. I tried but i could only find a new build which i can only assume is >1.6 When i tried installing the .apk it just caused droid explorer to stop functioning

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
Check out the install help here: androidforums.com/429446-post10.html

As for missing apps, as far as I know AT&T has not locked out any apps. The issue is there are more apps for 1.6 and 2.x then 1.5; so if that app was never created for 1.5; it will not show up.

I cant even launch DroidExplorer, so I couldnt find anything useful in there unless I missed it.

dyetheskin

Dec 12, 2006
bensalem, pa
who's got the htc ime keyboard? i tried installing 2 versions i found from when i ran nand on my tilt but neither worked after they installed, was hoping they dont require adb pushing the libt9.so file to the phone for it to work

moosefist

Sep 13, 2008

j101399j

Aug 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
who's got the htc ime keyboard? i tried installing 2 versions i found from when i ran nand on my tilt but neither worked after they installed, was hoping they dont require adb pushing the libt9.so file to the phone for it to work

Yes, already. The apk is GoogleSearch.apk and VoiceSearch.apk; I have both instlled and no luck. The stupid google bar still pops up. It more then just an APK; if I find it I'll post it. For now Voice Search with the icon is the nearest we have

dyetheskin

Dec 12, 2006
bensalem, pa
i got the htc keyboard working now,used version 4 of the low res version,pushed the .htcime file to sd first,installed the apk with adb and then the clicker.apk,works great,now just to wait for ways to remove bloatware,root access and backward compatibility for newer apps just for 1.6+

paradawg

Mar 16, 2010
Hello everybody,
I am not too bad at working on computers, but I am brand new to the android world (had been holding onto my centro for a long time). I have followed the instructions on this post and read most of the follow up posts, but I cant get this to work with my new backflip. I get the message "Unable to locate the install path in 'HKLM\{0}'. Try reinstalling the application." Can someone please help me?

moosefist

Sep 13, 2008
Hello everybody,
I am not too bad at working on computers, but I am brand new to the android world (had been holding onto my centro for a long time). I have followed the instructions on this post and read most of the follow up posts, but I cant get this to work with my new backflip. I get the message "Unable to locate the install path in 'HKLM\{0}'. Try reinstalling the application." Can someone please help me?

What happens when your try 'adb devices' in the command prompt?

paradawg

Mar 16, 2010
Well, when I am helping someone with a computer problem, I usually find that they have done one small thing (or a series of small things) wrong, so here is what I have done:
I followed the instructions on the first entry of the thread and I installed “Motorola ADB Driver 64 bit” (since I am running vista on a 64 bit system). Then I followed the link to download the latest SDK and I extracted it to a folder (c:\Android). Then I downloaded Droid Explorer and installed it, but I got an error at the end of installation. I went ahead and tried droid explorer, but it threw up that error I told you about previously. So I went to the command prompt (you will have to excuse me but it has literally been years since I have used the command prompt) and went to the android directory. I had previously put the apk file I wanted to install in there, which is the companionlink usb sync program, “clusbsync.apk” . I typed in “adb install clusbsync.apk” and it told me something to the effect of adb not being either an internal or external command.
I am sure that it is just me because it is working for all of these other people. Any help that anyone could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. I feel kinda dumb because I used to be the go to guy for all of the palm stuff, but I’m so new to android (bought my backflip the day after they went on sale) and I feel like I’m some illiterate guy sitting here trying to hold up a news paper and look at the pictures lol.

j101399j

Aug 5, 2008
Dallas, TX
@paradawg;

I can't see where you went wrong. What was the exact error message. I have received different ones on different files, some for sdk not the same, or it is a system file, blah... Anyways, if you can type exactly what the error says after you type
Code:
adb install clusbsync.apk
I should be able to tell you why.

moosefist

Sep 13, 2008
@prawdawg

can you try completing the commands with the full paths to the files? IE:
Code:
C:\Android\android-sdk-windows\tools\adb.exe install C:\Users\Raul\Desktop\Android\HTC_IME.apk

If you have the path specified it should work. You might want to try a different APP also, for instance if a app was developed for 2.0 it will not run on our backflips since they are 1.5

As for droidexplorer I might would try to reinstall it making sure its the 64bit version. Mine did crash at the end of the install, but i restarted and it all works. The only thing is I have to start it with no phone attached then refresh the list when it says that no devices were detected. The program will crash if you try to install an app made for a different sdk and not all features will work until the phone has root. If you can get it to work though it makes installing 1.5 apps very n00b friendly.

Last edited:

naplesbill

Jun 13, 2008
I would suggest putting the "\tools" folder in your path statement. I imagine the issue you are having is caused by the adb files not being found.

deldl78

Mar 24, 2010
Hello,

I am having problems installing Swype, it shows that it is installed on Droid Explorer but a shortcut isn't showing on my phone.

I installed it both through cmd and Droid Explorer.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nevermind, just realized I had to add the input methods through settings...

Last edited: