General **What phone should I buy next?** -- Not sure what device to buy? Ask here!

Search This thread

KidCarter93

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Maiselff

Nov 25, 2016
Just out of curiosity, why do you need a phone not based on ext4 ? It's a pretty good filesystem.

For you is good, for me this word do not exists on my dictionary.
I will buy soon what i posted upon. Gogle will be worst more than a beggar, (that still haves right to eat).

This is not a project, this is a complished promise.

Enviado de meu MB886 usando Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Just out of curiosity, why do you need a phone not based on ext4 ? It's a pretty good filesystem.

Ibm&microsoft created NTFS perfecly runable on linux/unix

Jus out of curiosity, why they don"t use NTFS on their devices? Selling extrash instead?

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

For you is good, for me this word do not exists on my dictionary.
I will buy soon what i posted upon. Gogle will be worst more than a beggar, (that still haves right to eat).

This is not a project, this is a complished promise.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Ibm&microsoft created NTFS perfecly runable on linux/unix

Jus out of curiosity, why they don"t use NTFS on their devices? Selling extrash instead?

I have two more question (if you can't resolve the first mine):

When androed beguns, they used on all devices, yaffs2, why they changed? Visioning that the ext2/3/4 lifetime cycle gives them more cash destroying devices? And take out the yaffs2 because the NeoZelandes that created yaffs2 wants copyright? Or the devices that haves yaffs2 haves a stupend lifetime cycle, that impess the clients buy a new phone? Ok

Second:

Why the devices are not in 100% ext4?

Now you can see why i say and is truely extrash.

Answer if you CAN

immadeofpixels27

Aug 7, 2014
Carbondale
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Hey guys, I'm looking for a phone dock that can connect to both my computer and a separate outlet so that I can charge it at a reasonable speed while also browsing files / using DeskDock.

p.s. sorry if there's a different thread for accessory q&a. If there is, please point me to it as I couldn't find a general one.

kivawolf

Oct 10, 2007
please delete this

Hi,
I just got Leeco.
After root, wipe everything, restore all my apps from google play store.
But the Tab My Apps installed is empty in google play store, The Tab all apps say application is installed.
Basicly, I have everything restore but, They do not appear in ''My Apps'', so all apps can't be update.

I have tried,
wipe cache/dalvic of google play store, and all systeme.
uninstall google play, reinstall it.
and finally factory reset.

Every time I clear cache of google play store, My Apps installed tab is empty.

the problem persists,
Is this because I restore Apps from other devices (LG G3).
I do not have SIM card installed, I dont know if It would change anything.

Thank alot for helping

Last edited:

phazer11

Aug 22, 2012
So looks like my TF700 is finally dying :( too slow to do much on and the camera just isn't good enough for recording classes and such anymore.

I'm a graphics designer so tablets are helpful for recording and taking notes as well as doing some light work on the go and I've gotten by with the TF700 though the lack of a stylus for a drawing surface is a bummer. Most of my classmates use a iPad Pro for a drawing tablet and daily driver. I've been increasingly thinking of getting a Surface because Apple is evil. Anyone have any recommendations for a droid or if I should just go Surface, etc. (tablet needs to be at least a 10")? I confess I haven't kept up to date on the Android tablet scene so don't know what's good.

oFUNGUSo

Feb 16, 2011
round rock TX
Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but i cant seem to find a nice list anywhere. Maybe im not searching with the right combination of words.....

I'm looking for a list of all the relatively current phones with easy to unlock bootloaders. I made the mistake of switching to an iphone on at&t and i hate it. I'm going to give it to my wife and switch back to android (still at&t) but I want to make sure i get a phone that will be easy for me to root/mod. I know all the google phones are usually the first recommendations, and i might end up getting the nexus 5x, but are there other phones that are just as easy to root and flash with? Is there something you would recommend over the nexus 5x (i like the smaller screen) for someone who just wants easy access to root and rom flashing? Any info appreciated.

nick191

Mar 25, 2013
Vadodara
www.youtube.com
Willing to upgrade from Nexus 6P

Hello guys, right now i am rocking Nexus 6P and i am willing to upgrade but couldn't decide. I really like S7 edge but it is almost 8 months old now and there will be new S8 by coming march at MWC-2017 (Only 3 months left). Other choices i have is of LG V20. What should i do ? I have following choices.
1). S7 edge
2).LG V20
3).Wait for S8.
Open to other suggestions !

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
Faced with a similar decision recently, I opted to skip the LG G4. The randomness of the boot-loop issue was just too much of a risk for me.
I was coming from an LG G2, which also has the buttons on the back; once you're used to them, they're quite handy (esp. for changing volume during a call).

In the end I bought a Moto X Play. I had also considered the Moto G4 Plus. These aren't quite "flagship" phones like your Galaxy S4 once was, and I'm not sure about the level of active ROM development for the Moto phones (they are pretty popular though) but they do have a replaceable battery and SD card. Hope this helps.
Could you elaborate on the boot loop issue? Is it a hardware problem or CM14 problem?

As for Moto phones, I'm a big fan of Moto. Owned three or four Moto devices before going with Samsung. Long story short I been through a Galaxy S4 active and 2 Galaxy S4 phone in under a year. The Active overheated. The first Galaxy S4 had a sudden unexplained screen death. This one has a Sim card tray going out. However all my Moto phones were pre-google buy out. As long as they do have removable battery and SD card they are worth a look!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

matteo.gspace

Feb 18, 2016
Hello guys, right now i am rocking Nexus 6P and i am willing to upgrade but couldn't decide. I really like S7 edge but it is almost 8 months old now and there will be new S8 by coming march at MWC-2017 (Only 3 months left). Other choices i have is of LG V20. What should i do ? I have following choices.
1). S7 edge
2).LG V20
3).Wait for S8.
Open to other suggestions !
Hello,
I recently bought a Xiaomi Mi5 running with CM14.1 and for the price (220€) it is awesome

JHW3

Dec 23, 2011
Toronto
Could you elaborate on the boot loop issue? Is it a hardware problem or CM14 problem?

There are others around who are far more expert on this than I am. In short, from my understanding, there is a manufacturing issue with a significant number LG G4s that is due to a loose connection or cold-solder joint on the main board of the phone. The "symptom" (which only arises after many months of use) is a boot-loop (endless re-booting). It is a hardware issue. LG will fix or replace the affected phones but this takes weeks, apparently.

For these reasons I decided to avoid the LG G4.

Reactions: Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
There are others around who are far more expert on this than I am. In short, from my understanding, there is a manufacturing issue with a significant number LG G4s that is due to a loose connection or cold-solder joint on the main board of the phone. The "symptom" (which only arises after many months of use) is a boot-loop (endless re-booting). It is a hardware issue. LG will fix or replace the affected phones but this takes weeks, apparently.

For these reasons I decided to avoid the LG G4.
Oh wow I guess the recall on that flew under my radar. Thanks for the info but given the year and a half the device has been in the wild now it sounds like I would probably be OK to pick up a used one from swappa. The extra insurance offered by swappa might not be a bad idea though. :) Thanks for your expertise. Going to check out the Moto devices you mentioned to. If I decide on an LG G4 do I need to pick up a certain model to ensure I can unlock the bootloader? I have StarightTalk/ATT.

yahyayyash

Dec 18, 2016
andronuts.com
My preferences:
- Price range - 300 to 400 Euros, but value for money is more important
- Screen size - Coming from Nexus 4, but won't mind a big phone
- Typical use - Mostly listening to music and talking/messaging. Occasionally taking photos and web browsing

Important things for me:
- Value for money
- Phone that will be good to use for longer time period
- Preferably the latest Android (not a hard requirement)
- Good customer/online support
- Well known brand

oFUNGUSo

Feb 16, 2011
round rock TX
Easily rootable phone with a smaller (5 to 5.3 inch) screen screen, that isn't the nexus 5x?

I'm on AT&T, almost bought a gs6 then realized I could be screwed depending on which build it came with .

Holding a dumb iPhone in my hand now [emoji58] really want a non phablet sized phone that with an easily unlockable boot loader and good rom support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mizon

Dec 14, 2016
Looking to buy a 6.5 inch phone, preferably one thats fully compatible for t-mobile USA. Let me know guys.

DarkJoney

Apr 27, 2014
Odessa.
Hello, guys.
I am going to replace my Xperia Z2 with something. I need new smartphone, which have BEST camera at the market nowadays. Because camera it's the most important thing for me, and I can't carry my A7R II all the time. After my analysis, I am completely stuck and can't make desision.
Who will be better?
iPhone 7 Plus
or
Galaxy S7
or
Xperia XZ.

I want to have OIS (I have shaky hands) and RAW support... Maybe also I need high quality audio and sd card support... Maybe you can propose something else which I didnt include in list?

Galaxy S7 seems to be the best now, but iPhone is attractive for me with his telephoto lens and depth mode. I like Sony's highres sensors, the do good work at good light, but it seems that XZ have lens defect. And Xperia lacks RAW support.... Sony's devs are bastards, but Xperia's design is the best for me....

If I will choose between S7 and 7 Plus, which would have better sharpness and low-light capabilities?
I checked all the comparisons over the internet, and S7 seems to be better, but have Apple got any improvements with software updates?

Thanks.

SofaSpud

Dec 6, 2011
Oh wow I guess the recall on that flew under my radar. Thanks for the info but given the year and a half the device has been in the wild now it sounds like I would probably be OK to pick up a used one from swappa. The extra insurance offered by swappa might not be a bad idea though. :) Thanks for your expertise. Going to check out the Moto devices you mentioned to. If I decide on an LG G4 do I need to pick up a certain model to ensure I can unlock the bootloader? I have StarightTalk/ATT.

Avoid the G4 H810 (AT&T) variant because AFAIK the bootloader is not able to be unlocked, so no custom recovery option. I'm also on AT&T, and I've been using carrier unlocked T-Mobile devices so that I can root. Although I'm using a G3 D851, rather than a G4.

Also the more current MM releases on most or all G4's have anti-rollback incorporated in the factory ROM. It locks into anti-rollback in hardware so that if you do try to rollback (from a ROM having version 2 rollback to one having v 1, for example), then you are virtually guaranteed to end up with a bootlooped / bricked device. In general, the T-Mobile variants are easier to work with in this respect, and they may be an exception to some of this.

Actually, in reality if you're fortunate to get a H810 with an earlier release of MM, it can be rolled back and rooted, but you still have a locked bootloader.

IMO, LG has really screwed up with all these shenanigans, and they've rendered their devices a lot less desirable.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
Avoid the G4 H810 (AT&T) variant because AFAIK the bootloader is not able to be unlocked, so no custom recovery option. I'm also on AT&T, and I've been using carrier unlocked T-Mobile devices so that I can root. Although I'm using a G3 D851, rather than a G4.

Also the more current MM releases on most or all G4's have anti-rollback incorporated in the factory ROM. It locks into anti-rollback in hardware so that if you do try to rollback (from a ROM having version 2 rollback to one having v 1, for example), then you are virtually guaranteed to end up with a bootlooped / bricked device. In general, the T-Mobile variants are easier to work with in this respect, and they may be an exception to some of this.

Actually, in reality if you're fortunate to get a H810 with an earlier release of MM, it can be rolled back and rooted, but you still have a locked bootloader.

IMO, LG has really screwed up with all these shenanigans, and they've rendered their devices a lot less desirable.

Thanks for all the information! Could you recommend something comparable to the G4 then?

Reactions: Maiselff

Maiselff

Nov 25, 2016
Thanks for all the information! Could you recommend something comparable to the G4 then?

ZTE

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

is time to begin a campaign toimpose to the manufacturers, 2 kind of offered devices:

1=Unlocked an rooted

2=Locked and unrooted

Definitely.

They pretends have sucess vending what they want, not hearing the client wishes.

Haha.

Is time to wake up!

Xplorer4x4

Mar 12, 2010
OnePlus 9
ZTE

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

is time to begin a campaign toimpose to the manufacturers, 2 kind of offered devices:

1=Unlocked an rooted

2=Locked and unrooted

Definitely.

They pretends have sucess vending what they want, not hearing the client wishes.

Haha.

Is time to wake up!

I agree with your later points but as far as ZTE, could you point me to a specific model? Looking for CM14.1 availability, removal battery, SD card and GSM compatible with a $200 budget!

SofaSpud

Dec 6, 2011

Have you considered a G3? It's very similar to the G4. Most G4 reviews by established sites such as cnet.com always mention that the G4 is too much like the G3. Battery life is a little weak, but with some tweaking and care in not running the lcd @ full brightness, can be made substantially better.

BTW, t-mobile devices can be used with AT&T.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Xplorer4x4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm looking for a phone that has more than 3 main custom roms and good gps. (using Poco M3 Pro 5G rn)

Phones whose latest versions are supported by atleast 3+ official custom roms:​

More and more device manufacturers are delaying the release of their ROM builds to the open source community, leaving us with a handful of device manufacturers who are very generous - and for whom custom ROM builds are sprawling with official websites. Here are the 7 devices you can confidently buy, who support official custom ROM support - published after filtering 12 active official custom ROM websites -
    1. paranoid
    2. Lineage
    3. evolution
    4. pixel experience
    5. Calyx
    6. Graphene os
    7. Elixir
    8. crdroid
    9. bliss OS
    10. Ubuntu touch
    11. AlphaDroid
    12. Rising OSS

The 7 device series - that will surely provide 3+ official rom support in future:

1. Redmi note series - Note 12 /note 12 turbo/ 12r pro - supported by 8 official custom ROMS
    2. Xiaomi Mi series - Mi 12/12r - by 4 official custom ROMS; Mi 13/13 pro - 1 official custom ROM supported
    3. Poco X series - X5/X5 pro - 6 official custom roms
    4. Poco M series - M5 - 4 official custom roms; M6/M6 Pro - 2 official custom Roms
    5. Poco F series - F5 - 4 official custom roms
    6. Nothing Phone - Phone 2 - 3 custom roms ; Phone 1 - 6 official custom ROMS
    7. Pixel phones - 10+ active official custom ROMS available for latest pixel.

Detailed analysis of these 7 devices with their present state of custom ROM development, attached as a pdf

- to help you navigate and search the latest ROMS easier/ to keep/ edit/ update as a personal guide.

Obviously latest Oneplus, samsung device custom ROM development has stalled. Unofficial release only exist for them.
    Official ROM support for Oneplus stopped with Oneplus 9 series, for Samsung with s10 series. No more official custom ROMS for them at the moment. Unofficial ones do exist.

Based on your budgets and preferences, go for it.
    Cheers!
    dont forget AlphaDroid!!!!! and RisingTechOSS
    On it mate.. .will add it in the list!
    Pleased to hear mate.

Does it apply to redmi phones too?
    Yes, but only in China for now... Some people in other Asian countries have also seen these new restrictions but not everyone has. It'll be instated everywhere else eventually though...
    what exactly are the new BL unlock policies that make it dangerous? where can I read about it? cause I was thinking of buying a xiaomi phone so if the phone is not supported by xiaomi via updates anymore, then I could install a community ROM.
    For now the policies are only in China so if you see one you like, you're good to go but keep in mind you'll no longer receive updates to the stock ROM. The policies will be expanded globally though, it's been all but confirmed.

The policies themselves include gaining level 5 on Xiaomi's CN forums, only unlocking 3 devices/yr, and we waiting for certain times for your request to be manually approved...

See this:

Poco X6 Pro 512 / 12 GB vs Galaxy S23 FE 256 / 8 GB - which one should I buy?​

I want camera to be good but Poco X6 Pro hardware seems so superior

Would it worth to buy Galaxy S23 FE only for camera?
    You are comparing a 2024phone vs 2023 phone.. forget the hardware, in every functionality there is a slight edge for x6 pro

1. X6 2024 Mtk faster than 2023 snap Soc
    2. Better audio quality! (Ldac), better display, faster ram,lighter device
    3. Even camera! Poco's photo procsssing might lag, but its post photo AI features are betfer than samsung
    4. Updates - same -S23 wont get the 7 year updates
    5. Custom rom community - Official roms like paranoid etc. Arrivewithin 1year of release for poco.. and take 4years from samsung! (X5 vs s10)

Addthe hardware, as u told, poco x6 crushes it. Samsungusually never minds the hardware.. So thats fine!

The only savinggrace? If u love oneui/boxy feel of s23! Hyper os has bridged/refines the os gap too..
    Hi everyone,

This thread is a continuation of this thread.

This is here so you can discuss what your next phone/tablet should be, if you're not sure what to pick.

Also, if you need advice as to which device is better than another, then feel free to ask those questions in here aswell.

This is an attempt to clear out all the similar threads being created around these forums.

*NOTE* I will be requesting thread maintenance as and when it is needed, to remove any SPAM comments
    Excellent, I hope this will attract some discussion on new devices so new threads won't be opened.

I am not looking for a new phone right now, well maybe not depending on the outcome of HTC repairing my Sensation I guess. I sure hope to find out tomorrow. I think if I was going to get a replacement now I would probably get the SGS3 over the OneX. I really don't like the non-removable battery and maybe worse, no SD slot. I know why they did it for economic reasons but I am just not going to go that direction. Batteries do not last forever and their maximum charge level goes down over time. I want to be able to plug the SD into my computer and do a local backup. I also want to be able to get a bigger or faster SD if one comes out.
    I am used to Sense but I am sure I could get used to Touchwiz as well, and I just read in the portal that ROM Cleaner works with the SGS3 now, as long as I can rid of the bloat I am content. I am sure that when my contract is done in a year there will be something newer and better out anyways. ;)
    I hope it does aswell. These forums definitely have too many of those threads being created :rolleyes:

I think I'd choose the S3 aswell to be honest. Even though the One X is a powerful phone, the S3 can quite easily out perform it, as it can with most phones.

The only time I'd be looking to upgrade is when mine become redundant, which with having an S2 (which can still keep up with the newest flagship devices) and Xperia S, I won't need to upgrade for a while I don't think.

Sent from Stephen Hawking's rooted wheelchair
    I would take the Lumina. My girlfriend has one and its pretty good.

√ HTC Evo 3D GSM
    √ Android JB 4.1.2
    √ Disarmed Toaster
    √ 4EXT Recovery Touch
    √ Anthrax Kernel 3.7.0 @ 1.6ghz
    Never owned a tablet before.. flirting with the idea of a galaxy tab 2 10.1. As of current, I'm all good with my s3 but I'm kinda interested in what this next galaxy note 2 will bring. Guess I'm some sort of galaxy fan.. ever since my vibrant :p

---> Brought to you in part by my T999 / T-Mobile Galaxy SIII :)