[USERS CAN REQUEST][TUTORIAL]Motorola Defy Mini XT320/XT321 Custom SBF with fastboot

Search This thread

juliusaea

Sep 13, 2013
Well, it seems that now my device is rooted because I saw a Superuser icon in my apps, so it seems like I succeeded. The bad side is that now I do not have wifi access. Tried with protected and open wifis and no results. I do not know if the problem was after I flashed the custom firmware or after root, because I have not tried to use the wifi until today. Now my priority is looking how to enable the wifi capabilities. Anyway thanks for your help.

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
Well, it seems that now my device is rooted because I saw a Superuser icon in my apps, so it seems like I succeeded. The bad side is that now I do not have wifi access. Tried with protected and open wifis and no results. I do not know if the problem was after I flashed the custom firmware or after root, because I have not tried to use the wifi until today. Now my priority is looking how to enable the wifi capabilities. Anyway thanks for your help.

Is your custom sbf based on your original firmware ?

Before to do anything, did you tested if your original firm had native fastboot ? I ve asked this because i saw "0A" in sbf file name.

Sent from my XT687 using xda app-developers app

juliusaea

Sep 13, 2013
Is your custom sbf based on your original firmware ?

Before to do anything, did you tested if your original firm had native fastboot ? I ve asked this because i saw "0A" in sbf file name.

Yep. The only difference that I noticed between my original and the sbf rootdefyxt320 shared with me is the final part of the flex version (mine is ´´FLEXTNBST´´ and the other one is ´´NOAPR_sec_20120514´´)

Edit:Somebody rebooted the phone and actually I have wifi and phone signal, so your method did work for me too.

Last edited:

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
Yep. The only difference that I noticed between my original and the sbf rootdefyxt320 shared with me is the final part of the flex version (mine is ´´FLEXTNBST´´ and the other one is ´´NOAPR_sec_20120514´´)

Before leave this method i would try
1 reflash orig firm assuring all funcionalities ok or look for another that works for your device and flash it to verif if every thing is ok.
2 repeat this method creating custom sbf based on firm that works for your device but copying only appsbootsec.mbn (or something like that) before compiling. This is the original concept of this method.

Anushan

Aug 6, 2013
London
Hi can i use any stock rom with this or does it have to be a specific version.

I have:
Software Version: TNBST_4.0A.21.21RPS
Flex Version: WE_RTGB_V14_0512_FLEXTNBST

It is the United Kingdom Unlocked Retail Rom. Would i be able to put fastboot on it?

remilt

Sep 24, 2013
sbf request

Hello and thanks for all the contributions!:)
I have allready messed up with my phone ( and my wifi, camera and bluetooth are dead.. :() is it possible to upload my original rom?
I have software version : TNBST_4_0A.1F.10RPS
and Flex Version : WE_Retail_CEE_v2_0227_FLEXTNBST
I don't know if that helps but the phone is from Greece with cosmote provider and allready had a fastboot.

Thanks!

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
I have allready messed up with my phone ( and my wifi, camera and bluetooth are dead.. :() is it possible to upload my original rom?
I don't know if that helps but the phone is from Greece with cosmote provider and allready had a fastboot.

Thanks!
Look for it here

http://www.droidevelopers.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=112

Or ask for it

http://www.droidevelopers.com/showthread.php?t=13119

You can google it maybe returns a droidev page

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW

Thanks!

Here's the direct hotfile link:
http://hotfile.com/dl/184332336/db43a8c/TNBST_4_0A.1F.10RPS_flex_WE_Retail_CEE_v2.zip.html

Zip password:
Code:
mod2xtreme.com

Reactions: remilt

remilt

Sep 24, 2013
Thanks!

Thanks! It worked just fine! Everything is just as in a brand new phone and I am ready for another rooting procedure!

Anushan

Aug 6, 2013
London
Hi can someone customize the rom for me please as i have a feeling im going to screw something up

my rom version is
Software Version: TNBST_4.0A.21.21RPS
Flex Version: WE_RTGB_V14_0512_FLEXTNBST

Its the UK Unlocked rom you can use this ideally or if it cannot be found any other uk unlocked rom. Thanks in advance :)

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
@MauroSZ Here's the fastboot files for XT687.

Instructions:

Use the same steps in the OP except the attachment of course and steps 11 and 12. Instead use MotoAndroidDepacker 1.3 to repack SBF File. So in MotoAndroidDepacker 1.3 you select the 'Select Files Folder' then you select the folder where CG2.smg, firmware.hmg and RAMDLD.smg are and then select the button 'Compile File' and it will compile the SBF. It will be placed in the folder named rebuilt.

Attachments

• MotoAndroidDepackerMono.zip
    52 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: MauroSZ

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
RSD Lite Error

@MauroSZ Here's the fastboot files for XT687.

Instructions:

Use the same steps in the OP except the attachment of course and steps 11 and 12. Instead use MotoAndroidDepacker 1.3 to repack SBF File. So in MotoAndroidDepacker 1.3 you select the 'Select Files Folder' then you select the folder where CG2.smg, firmware.hmg and RAMDLD.smg are and then select the button 'Compile File' and it will compile the SBF. It will be placed in the folder named rebuilt.

Unfortunately does not work for XT687. What I did:

- Some weeks a go I used M A Depacker 1.2 alpha 3 and splited 2 SBFs:
. Old - 27D - with fastboot
. New - 27G - better but without fastboot

- I used your attachment XT68_fastboot_files.zip only to get the info which are fastboot files, and I copied overwriting from 27D CG2-Extracted to 27G CG2-Extracted.

- Then I tried to repack using SBF-Recalc and it failed aborting. Maybe the XT687 firmware is too big, much more than XT320.

- I used a old notebook running Win XP. After I tried on a new Intel i7 4GB RAM PC running Win 7 64 Ultimate with the same result.

- After your post, I reused ready files / folders to repack with M A Depacker 1.3. Did not abort. Really repacked.

- Booted on CWM, did a nandrod first and all wipes after. Then booted in Flash-mode directly,

- But I could not reflash because occurred an error on RSD Lite. I Attached 2 pictures: A print of PC screen with RSD Lite error and a picture of device screen with respective error.

The error was just in beginning, and I was afraid to hard brick my phone losing the flash capability. I did not disconnect and kept it in Flash-mode even with flash error text on screen. Then I loaded on RSD Lite the stock ROM 27D with fastboot and I let it flashing for 3 seconds until to appear MODEM, when I pulled off the USB cable and removed the battery. Then fastboot->CWM->Restore and now every thing is OK like was before, but we don't have the custom SBF yet, that would make life easier for many XT687 users.

Attachments

• rds_atv_fail.JPG
    rds_atv_fail.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 160
  • atv_flash_error.JPG
    atv_flash_error.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 159

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Unfortunately does not work for XT687. What I did:

- Some weeks a go I used M A Depacker 1.2 alpha 3 and splited 2 SBFs:
. Old - 27D - with fastboot
. New - 27G - better but without fastboot

- I used your attachment XT68_fastboot_files.zip only to get the info which are fastboot files, and I copied overwriting from 27D CG2-Extracted to 27G CG2-Extracted.

- Then I tried to repack using SBF-Recalc and it failed aborting. Maybe the XT687 firmware is too big, much more than XT320.

- I used a old notebook running Win XP. After I tried on a new Intel i7 4GB RAM PC running Win 7 64 Ultimate with the same result.

- After your post, I reused ready files / folders to repack with M A Depacker 1.3. Did not abort. Really repacked.

- Booted on CWM, did a nandrod first and all wipes after. Then booted in Flash-mode directly,

- But I could not reflash because occurred an error on RSD Lite. I Attached 2 pictures: A print of PC screen with RSD Lite error and a picture of device screen with respective error.

The error was just in beginning, and I was afraid to hard brick my phone losing the flash capability. I did not disconnect and kept it in Flash-mode even with flash error text on screen. Then I loaded on RSD Lite the stock ROM 27D with fastboot and I let it flashing for 3 seconds until to appear MODEM, when I pulled off the USB cable and removed the battery. Then fastboot->CWM->Restore and now every thing is OK like was before, but we don't have the custom SBF yet, that would make life easier for many XT687 users.

You can't hardbrick due to locked bootloader. I will try to make a fastboot only SBF. RSD can't seem to send the jump command to jump into RDL Mode so it won't flash the SBF at all. Ok, I compiled my fastboot only SBF for XT687 using SBF ReCalc. Would you be willing to test it please. Just extract the SBF out of the zip file and flash the SBF with RSD.

Attachments

• XT687_Fastboot_SBF.zip
    463.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Reactions: MauroSZ

KevinNRosa

Oct 6, 2013
Fastboot not enabled on my phone trying to root XT320

Kevin & Rosa From Guam

Fastboot not enabled on my phone trying to root XT320 here's my current phone specs below i was to told if i can update my firmware it should fix the problem but i'm not sure don't wanna brick it.

Tring to root my phone since it has very little internal storage and uninstall a few pre-loaded apps to get more space if possible i'm i also able to upgrade it to jellybean if not any other update higher the 2.3.6 that i currently installed

When i hold vol+ and vol- and power key i only get a box with the android logo

Requesting Motorola DEFY MINI XT320 GingerBread 2.3.6 (firmware update with fastboot)

Model XT320
Android Version 2.3.6
Kernel Version 2.6.38.6+buildsrv@lxdx2 #1
Compilation number 05.28.10
Flex Version IRD_Optus_Australia_v16_0823FLEXTNBST
Baseband76XXU-USMEKOLYM-109806-8845
Software Version TNBST_4_05.28.10RPS

rootdefyxt320

Oct 4, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Kevin & Rosa From Guam

Fastboot not enabled on my phone trying to root XT320 here's my current phone specs below i was to told if i can update my firmware it should fix the problem but i'm not sure don't wanna brick it.

Tring to root my phone since it has very little internal storage and uninstall a few pre-loaded apps to get more space if possible i'm i also able to upgrade it to jellybean if not any other update higher the 2.3.6 that i currently installed

When i hold vol+ and vol- and power key i only get a box with the android logo

Requesting Motorola DEFY MINI XT320 GingerBread 2.3.6 (firmware update with fastboot)

Model XT320
Android Version 2.3.6
Kernel Version 2.6.38.6+buildsrv@lxdx2 #1
Compilation number 05.28.10
Flex Version IRD_Optus_Australia_v16_0823FLEXTNBST

Baseband76XXU-USMEKOLYM-109806-8845Software Version TNBST_4_05.28.10RPS

Ok, I don't have that firmware here but I will try to obtain anyway. If you don't have fastboot just use this method: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36199694&postcount=3 and there is no Android 4.x for the phone. How come you have Australian Firmware when you live in Guam?

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
Ok, I don't have that firmware here but I will try to obtain anyway. If you don't have fastboot just use this method: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36199694&postcount=3 and there is no Android 4.x for the phone. How come you have Australian Firmware when you live in Guam?

From Droidev (recently)

Added:-
Carrier/Country: Optus Australia
Software version: TNBST_4_05.28.10RPS
Flex version: IRD_Optus_Australia_v16_0823FLEXTNBST

See Post #2 foe download link.

MauroSZ

Dec 18, 2012
Flashing Fastboot Only SBF

You can't hardbrick due to locked bootloader. I will try to make a fastboot only SBF. RSD can't seem to send the jump command to jump into RDL Mode so it won't flash the SBF at all. Ok, I compiled my fastboot only SBF for XT687 using SBF ReCalc. Would you be willing to test it please. Just extract the SBF out of the zip file and flash the SBF with RSD.

It works. Thank you. What I did :p:

- Booted into CWM and did a nandroid
- Still on CWM, all wipes
- Reflashed the firmware (RSD Lite 6.1.4) that was running on my XT687, it is the latest but without fastboot (1)

- Turned on the phone and verified if every thing was OK
. really it was liked I took it out from the box ( both sim, data network, wifi etc)

- Flashed the fastboot only SBF that you packed.
. Some files were flashed and at certain point an error occurred ( see 2 pictures attached and the error text in the end (2) )
. I had a intuition this error can be ignored. I was right.

- Disconnected from PC and removed the battery shutting it down
- Powered on the phone to see if every thing was OK. Really was ( both sim, data network, wifi etc)
- Booted into CWM only to test my flashable update.zip to root it ( I made it :) using @Bin4ry method files and permissions ) - It works ! :)
- Booted into CWM again to restore my nandroid (success)

Now my device is working firmware 2_27G_2009 and fastboot 2_27D_2009 like was before, but MODEM files were not flashed at this time. I have not notice any difference yet. Are MODEM files restored by nandroid ? :confused:

I think you've made the third method. First was AR only. The second is flashing a custom SBF. The third is flashing fastboot only SBF, easier than AR method, because you can be relaxed waiting the error to shut down your phone removing battery. The third is faster than the second and you don't loose any data. If you solve errors it will be prettiest but now it is already good.

=====================================================================
(1) I got fastboot before using AR method
(2) RSD Lite 6.1.4 error

Code:
2013/10/12 14:31:18 | 0 | ERROR: Phone[0000]: Error flashing subscriber unit. Device API Error: 0xE0020014 Address: 0xDC800 Command: BIN ->(567)FlashOp
2013/10/12 14:31:18 | 0 | ERROR: Phone[0000]: Flash failed. ->(1195)PST_FP_FlashThread
2013/10/12 14:31:18 | 0 | ERROR: Flash failure: Phone[0000]: Error flashing subscriber unit. Device API Error: 0xE0020014 Address: 0xDC800 Command: BIN (Error Code: e0020014),
Detailed Error Details: Direction of the Error=3000, Command Value=300000, Code Group Number=2 ->(625)FlashHdlr

Attachments

• ATV_fastb_error_ds.JPG
    ATV_fastb_error_ds.JPG
    18.4 KB · Views: 130
  • ATV_Fastb_error_rsd.JPG
    ATV_Fastb_error_rsd.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 113

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New Way to Root DEFY MINI XT320/XT321 if you don't have fastboot.

1. Download the Fastboot SBF attachment and the root Defy Mini Attachment
    2. Extract all the files out of the zip making sure all the files are in the same place.
    3. Put phone in flash-mode by powering off your device and pressing Vol-, Power Button and camera button simultaneously and connect it to the computer.
    4. Install RSD-Lite if you haven't done so.
    5. Now select the SBF and it will flash fastboot to your phone. Don't worry about the flashing errors because it won't affect the phone at all. Disconnect the phone out of the computer and pull out the battery to get out of flashmode.
    @MauroSZ and me have confirmed it .
    6. Put the update.zip in the root of your sdcard
    7. Now go to the folder where you extracted root Defy Mini Attachment.
    8. Now make sure your phone has USB Debugging enabled.
    9. Now click on the file named start_cwm_recovery.bat
    10. Now using the Volume buttons to navigate and power button to select, select the option 'Apply update.zip from sdcard'
    11. Now select yes to install the zip file.
    12. Now select reboot system now and select Yes to Fix Root.
    13. Now your device is rooted.
    @Anushan use this method if you don't know how to make a custom SBF.
    Hey Defy Mini Users, I've been able to make custom SBF's and include fastboot and Bootloader 01.0a in them.

Refer to this post for a new way to root Defy Mini XT320/XT321 for those without fastboot: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=46445136&postcount=41

Refer to this post if you don't understand on how to root Defy Mini XT320/XT321: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48952575&postcount=70 Thanks to @jonaut :D

Request which firmware you want me to do and I will do it for you.

Now you don't need to do Alin Razvan method anymore to obtain fastboot. This method is based on @ManOLCZ method. So credits to him for the original method. I went a step further by including an older bootloader. Bootloader 01.0a can fix battery charging issues if you are not using original Defy Mini Battery and it is the native bootloader for fastboot mode.

How to get Bootloader 01.0a and fastboot on Motorola Defy Mini XT320/XT321 SBF:

1. Download the attachments below.
    2. Extract all the zip files
    3. Open Motorola Android Depacker and select the button 'Open From file' and select the SBF file for your phone and open it.
    4. Click on the button 'Split to folder' to split your desired SBF file.
    5. Now select the button 'Open from File' and change the selection of file type to 'MOTOBLUR mbn image (*CG2.smg)' go to the folder called nameofsbf-extracted which contains CG2.smg and open it.

NOTE: nameofsbf-extracted this means the name of the SBF file with the word extracted at the end. Here's an example: TNBST_4_0A.1F.0ERPS_flex_WE_Orange_Spain-extracted

6. Now go to the folder CG2-Extracted to and replace the files with the one from the 2nd attachment.
    7. Now go to Motorola Android Depacker and select 'Open Files Folder' and select the folder named CG2-Extracted.
    8. Select 'compile file' and it should be place in a folder named rebuilt
    9. Now copy the custom CG2.smg to folder with the files named 'firmware.hmg' and 'RAMDLD.smg'
    10. Now open SBF Recalc and select the button 'Open CG-Folder' and select where CG2.smg, firmware.hmg and RAMDLD.smg are.
    11. Now select 'Create SBF-File' and wait for a moment. Now wait a moment and your custom SBF file will be created.
    12. Your SBF is now ready to be flashed with RSD-Lite.

Guys all Defy Mini XT320/XT321 SBF's are all hosted here: http://www.filefactory.com/f/835cff656c4785cd

Thanks to @daywalker04
    Does anyone know which .sbf is the newest? I mean by having the most recently updated software.

This firmware is the newest: TNBST_4_17.21.A7RPS_flex_WE_Retail_Nordics_v4_0816_NOAPR_sec_20120816_MSU.sbf
    Flashing Fastboot Only SBF

It works. Thank you. What I did :p:

- Booted into CWM and did a nandroid
    - Still on CWM, all wipes
    - Reflashed the firmware (RSD Lite 6.1.4) that was running on my XT687, it is the latest but without fastboot (1)

- Turned on the phone and verified if every thing was OK
    . really it was liked I took it out from the box ( both sim, data network, wifi etc)

- Flashed the fastboot only SBF that you packed.
    . Some files were flashed and at certain point an error occurred ( see 2 pictures attached and the error text in the end (2) )
    . I had a intuition this error can be ignored. I was right.

- Disconnected from PC and removed the battery shutting it down
    - Powered on the phone to see if every thing was OK. Really was ( both sim, data network, wifi etc)
    - Booted into CWM only to test my flashable update.zip to root it ( I made it :) using @Bin4ry method files and permissions ) - It works ! :)
    - Booted into CWM again to restore my nandroid (success)

Now my device is working firmware 2_27G_2009 and fastboot 2_27D_2009 like was before, but MODEM files were not flashed at this time. I have not notice any difference yet. Are MODEM files restored by nandroid ? :confused:

I think you've made the third method. First was AR only. The second is flashing a custom SBF. The third is flashing fastboot only SBF, easier than AR method, because you can be relaxed waiting the error to shut down your phone removing battery. The third is faster than the second and you don't loose any data. If you solve errors it will be prettiest but now it is already good.

=====================================================================
    (1) I got fastboot before using AR method
    (2) RSD Lite 6.1.4 error

Code:
    2013/10/12 14:31:18 | 0 | ERROR: Phone[0000]: Error flashing subscriber unit. Device API Error: 0xE0020014 Address: 0xDC800 Command: BIN ->(567)FlashOp
    2013/10/12 14:31:18 | 0 | ERROR: Phone[0000]: Flash failed. ->(1195)PST_FP_FlashThread
    2013/10/12 14:31:18 | 0 | ERROR: Flash failure: Phone[0000]: Error flashing subscriber unit. Device API Error: 0xE0020014 Address: 0xDC800 Command: BIN (Error Code: e0020014),
    Detailed Error Details: Direction of the Error=3000, Command Value=300000, Code Group Number=2 ->(625)FlashHdlr