FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?

Yes, I am happy with the replies.

1,178 Vote(s)
59.17%
Yes, kind of.

471 Vote(s)
23.66%
No, needs improvement.

342 Vote(s)
17.18%

[Ask Any Question][Newbie Friendly]

13,549 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,769

By Droidriven, Senior Member on 29th April 2013, 01:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
6th May 2013, 04:04 PM |#121  
Flag columbia
Thanks Meter: 4,740

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne

Hi,
I don't know why the ota update has not worked for you as I never had any problems updating with a rooted phone. It will not work if you have installed a custom recovery. As of now, I don't know where the update is stored and it can be deleted or not, you can flash a stock rom from odin, update the firmware to latest available and then root it again.

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

The update is held in /cache, wiping cache in recovery will delete it or you can manually delete it using a root explorer.. to stop the update message until your Rom dev updates your Rom you can modify your build.prop to reflect the new update... so for my phone, we just got am update to md4 from mb1, so I would look for every instance of mb1 in the build.prop and change it to md4... hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to flastnoles11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flastnoles11 Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 04:12 PM |#122  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 401

More
Quote:

AOSP roms or CM roms are to be compiled from sources. When you make a normal rom, you juat theme a deodexed version of stock rom.

To port a rom based on CM/AOSP from other device to yours, you will need to take a precompiled CM/AOSP for your device as a base. You can theme on any os, but to compile you'll have to use either linux or iOS.

simpler words please....Ultra noob over here
Bruce Wayne
6th May 2013, 04:18 PM |#123  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by flastnoles11

The update is held in /cache, wiping cache in recovery will delete it or you can manually delete it using a root explorer.. to stop the update message until your Rom dev updates your Rom you can modify your build.prop to reflect the new update... so for my phone, we just got am update to md4 from mb1, so I would look for every instance of mb1 in the build.prop and change it to md4... hope this helps

Thanks for this. :thumbup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlygamz

simpler words please....Ultra noob over here

AOSP AND CM roms are compiled, ie you will have to gather all sources, do repo sync and comile the rom, just the way your manufacturer makes a stock rom.

Other roms are themed, ie using kitchen or decompiling apps and editing png, smalli and xml etc.

You should read guides on porting and compiling for a better understanding. Hope that clears your doubts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 04:29 PM |#124  
Flag columbia

More
Quote:

So any stock deodexed rom can be used as a base?

What about when I wanna port a rom? For eg. i wanna port a rom from SGS2 which has the similar resolution as SGSA but different chip.... SGSA has novathor......whereas SGS2 has exynos....

So which OS is good for building a rom without kitchend? is that what they call building from source? Can you provide me a link to the team rejectz quick fix?

LAST QUESTION: What is an AOSP rom and Can a STOCK DEODEXED ROM BE USED AS A BASE ROM WHEN CREATING A ROM AND PORTING A ROM?

Thanx in advance bro.....I know it is a lot of questions.....

Let's try this again.... 1. yes pretty much any stock Rom cam be used as a base (but not for aosp roms)... 2. porting roms is not an easy task, I suggest doing more research on this topic, tons of guides on xda on how to port rooms, is there isn't for your phone you'll have to read one from another phones guide and learn how to adapt it to your phone... 3. This is not even close to building from source, to build from source you'll have to sync the stock repos for your phone, I suspect this is over your head at the moment, also, tons of guides, do some research before trying to do this. 4. Aosp roms are rooms that are more or less closer to the stock android experience (cm, pa, aokp, rooms like that), they don't contain the manufacturer overlays (sense, touch wiz, blur...) I'm not sure this clears anything up for you, but you should now see that building roms requires tons of research and reading. Head over to your device section, find every guide you can on it and read, read, read..........
The Following User Says Thank You to flastnoles11 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flastnoles11 Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 04:30 PM |#125  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:

Hi,
I don't know why the ota update has not worked for you as I never had any problems updating with a rooted phone. It will not work if you have installed a custom recovery. As of now, I don't know where the update is stored and it can be deleted or not, you can flash a stock rom from odin, update the firmware to latest available and then root it again.

I really am a noob, ok I managed to root my phone ok, but I dont want to muck about flashing the ROM etc and tbh have no idea how to with odin, it scares me, don't want to muck it up! Would rather put the bloatware back on my mob, then unroot it and then try the OTA update which I would hope would work and then re root my phone. In hindsight I wished I had never bothered with this update! =(

Quote:

I am not worried about stopping future "you need to update messages" as this does not bother me and I can simply untick the automatic update option!
What is annoying me is that my internal memory is now 30mb less since downloading this failed OTA update, and I simply want to delete it/be back to where I was before the OTA update!!

I have already wiped the cache in recovery and then used my file explorer app to look at the following files...
/data/cache/ is empty!
/cache/lost+found/ is empty!
/cache/recovery/ has a file called "last_log" which is only 7.23KB not 30mb! =(

So my internal storage is still 30mb more than before I did the OTA update, despite wiping the cache! =(

After I originally downloaded the 30mb update OTA it said the phone needs to reboot to install it, which it did but once it got to 25% installed the screen then went blank for a second and the phone started up as normal and then said update failed! So would this explain why the 30mb is not in the /cache? Where is it?!

Thanks for your help peeps! =)
6th May 2013, 04:41 PM |#126  
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 401

More
Quote:

Let's try this again.... 1. yes pretty much any stock Rom cam be used as a base (but not for aosp roms)... 2. porting roms is not an easy task, I suggest doing more research on this topic, tons of guides on xda on how to port rooms, is there isn't for your phone you'll have to read one from another phones guide and learn how to adapt it to your phone... 3. This is not even close to building from source, to build from source you'll have to sync the stock repos for your phone, I suspect this is over your head at the moment, also, tons of guides, do some research before trying to do this. 4. Aosp roms are rooms that are more or less closer to the stock android experience (cm, pa, aokp, rooms like that), they don't contain the manufacturer overlays (sense, touch wiz, blur...) I'm not sure this clears anything up for you, but you should now see that building roms requires tons of research and reading. Head over to your device section, find every guide you can on it and read, read, read..........

thanx mate...just got another query...... I tried building a rom using the kitchen but it was in bootloop......i asked in my device forum and was told not to use the kitchen as it was build for older devices.So now i wanna know, is there any method that allows me to build a rom from the ground up using the stock deodexed rom as base and NOT using the kitchen.

Also is there a command to extract the META-INF folder of a rom?

Thanx again
6th May 2013, 05:26 PM |#127  
Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Maras Dantia
Thanks Meter: 9,187

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcrjames

I really am a noob, ok I managed to root my phone ok, but I dont want to muck about flashing the ROM etc and tbh have no idea how to with odin, it scares me, don't want to muck it up! Would rather put the bloatware back on my mob, then unroot it and then try the OTA update which I would hope would work and then re root my phone. In hindsight I wished I had never bothered with this update! =(

I am not worried about stopping future "you need to update messages" as this does not bother me and I can simply untick the automatic update option!
What is annoying me is that my internal memory is now 30mb less since downloading this failed OTA update, and I simply want to delete it/be back to where I was before the OTA update!!

I have already wiped the cache in recovery and then used my file explorer app to look at the following files...
/data/cache/ is empty!
/cache/lost+found/ is empty!
/cache/recovery/ has a file called "last_log" which is only 7.23KB not 30mb! =(

So my internal storage is still 30mb more than before I did the OTA update, despite wiping the cache! =(

After I originally downloaded the 30mb update OTA it said the phone needs to reboot to install it, which it did but once it got to 25% installed the screen then went blank for a second and the phone started up as normal and then said update failed! So would this explain why the 30mb is not in the /cache? Where is it?!

Thanks for your help peeps! =)

Look for a temp folder, you should see something that is that size, probably called update.zip or something similar

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Quote:

thanx mate...just got another query...... I tried building a rom using the kitchen but it was in bootloop......i asked in my device forum and was told not to use the kitchen as it was build for older devices.So now i wanna know, is there any method that allows me to build a rom from the ground up using the stock deodexed rom as base and NOT using the kitchen.

Also is there a command to extract the META-INF folder of a rom?

Thanx again

Yes, grab any apk tool and 7zip (Google both) instructions will be in the op of the apk tool and 7zip has a help page on their website

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul
The Following User Says Thank You to Stryke_the_Orc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stryke_the_Orc Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 07:17 PM |#128  
Flag Cairo
Thanks Meter: 3

Donate to Me
More
When I plug my s2 to pc, the Mobile touch gone mad, when i try to press on something, it press on another etc.
My phone is gt-19100G using cm10.1 Nightlies
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2
6th May 2013, 07:44 PM |#129  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Exclamation rooting a flashed phone
I am currently trying to root a flashed samsung galaxy s3. Flashed over from Sprint to Metro. I have looked on most forums but all seem so vague and I don't want to mess anything up. Do I use a Sprint rooting toolkit or how do I go about?
6th May 2013, 07:45 PM |#130  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Coventry, UK
Thanks Meter: 7,274

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagyation

When I plug my s2 to pc, the Mobile touch gone mad, when i try to press on something, it press on another etc.
My phone is gt-19100G using cm10.1 Nightlies
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

You'll need to go into Settings and calibrate your screen. I can't remember the exact way to get to the screen calibration, as it's been a long while since I've had my S2, but the same happened to me whenever the charger was plugged in aswell.

I calibrated the screen and it worked absolutely fine after that
The Following User Says Thank You to KidCarter93 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KidCarter93 Ad-Free
6th May 2013, 07:46 PM |#131  
Flag columbia

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildgen

I am currently trying to root a flashed samsung galaxy s3. Flashed over from Sprint to Metro. I have looked on most forums but all seem so vague and I don't want to mess anything up. Do I use a Sprint rooting toolkit or how do I go about?

Don't use a tool kit, check my Sig, the way to root it should be the same as the Sprint one, how to is in the link in my Sig, but don't use a tool kit!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ask any question, bricked phone, cwm roms and kernels, help thread, noob, noob friendly, question, rcs in action

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)