[ROOT] Saferoot: VZW SCH-I435 (& others), no Kingo, will NOT trip KNOX (0x0)

Search This thread

postal302

Nov 21, 2013
Nashville
Disclaimer: You are fully responsible for anything you do to your phone. This is the safest method possible but there are always risks involved. If you brick your phone, or have any otherwise negative effects no one here is at fault.

I am not a developer and can take no credit for this (and consequently cannot provide support for this)! All credit and thanks go to @k1mu for this method.

For those of you who want root access to your phone and do not want to use Kingo (root without Kingo) here is a safe method. The best part is if it doesn't work there is no harm done to your phone, it simply will not root. This will provide root on the stock software and DOES NOT trip the KNOX flag (your KNOX flag will remain 0x0). The way to trip the KNOX flag is by changing the kernel or bootloader/recovery and this does neither. It may change the System Status to "Custom" (this can be seen in Download Mode or in the phone's menu under Settings->About Phone->Status->Device Status) but there are ways to change that, see the details in the original post.

This does not unlock the boot loader, does not install a custom recovery or allow you to load custom ROMs.

@k1mu created this method using an Experia exploit and modifying it for the Galaxy S4 full size, however it works for many other Android devices. I used this to root a Verizon Galaxy S4 Mini SCH-I435 and other people have reported this working for the S3, Note 2, other carrier phones and some non-Samsung devices.

This will provide root access on your phone and install SuperSU. This works with Android 4.3 as well as 4.2.2.

Here's the basic steps to root your S4 Mini (for the full step-by-step visit the thread):
1. Setup USB drivers on your computer.
2. Enable USB debugging on your phone.
3. Enable USB ADB access.
4. Download and unzip the Saferoot.zip
5. Root your phone
6. Click "Thanks" on k1mu's thread for this (yes I added this step :D).

If you have questions or run into problems reply to k1mu's thread. He is very helpful and quick to reply.

If you find yourself needing to unroot, visit post #2 in the original thread and follow the steps. You can find SCH-I435 stock firmware and Verizon software in this thread (post #10 & #12). I HAVE NOT TRIED THESE SO USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.

Last edited:

postal302

Nov 21, 2013
Nashville
List of devices this is confirmed working for:
Verizon SCH-I435
GT-I9190
GT-I9195 some variants (see post 33)
GT-I8190 (S3 Mini)

Devices this does not work for:
GT-I9195 some variants (see post 23-31)

Let me know if this works for your phone and I'll add it to the list.

Last edited:

k1mu

Apr 11, 2011
Virginia
What was the value of Knox counter in Download Mode after rooting with this method?

This root technique doesn't touch the Knox Warranty Void flag as it doesn't try to flash anything (kernel, bootloader, etc.)

It does, however, set the "Custom" flag at boot. See post #2 in the original thread for ways to clear that.

It does NOT unlock the bootloader. Don't go off flashing AOSP or CM after you root, as those WILL set the Knox Warranty Void flag.

Reactions: Qub3d

postal302

Nov 21, 2013
Nashville
This root technique doesn't touch the Knox Warranty Void flag as it doesn't try to flash anything (kernel, bootloader, etc.)

It does, however, set the "Custom" flag at boot. See post #2 in the original thread for ways to clear that.

It does NOT unlock the bootloader. Don't go off flashing AOSP or CM after you root, as those WILL set the Knox Warranty Void flag.

Here you have it straight from the source!

Interestingly it didn't change the custom flag on the phone I rooted. Download mode shows system status is "Official" and the device status in the menu also still says "Official."

Attachments

• PicsArt_1389832127723.jpg
    PicsArt_1389832127723.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 2,214
Last edited:

The Jinxer

Aug 26, 2012
Cape Town
Original quote:
Disclaimer: You are fully responsible for anything you do to your phone. This is the safest method possible but there are always risks involved. If you brick your phone, or have any otherwise negative effects no one here is at fault.

I am not a developer and can take no credit for this (and consequently cannot provide support for this)! All credit and thanks go to @k1mu for this method.

For those of you who want root access to your phone and do not want to use Kingo (root without Kingo) here is a safe method. The best part is if it doesn't work there is no harm done to your phone, it simply will not root. This will provide root on the stock software and DOES NOT trip the KNOX flag (your KNOX flag will remain 0x0). It may change the System Status to "Custom" (this can be seen in Download Mode or in the phone's menu under Settings->About Phone->Status->Device Status) but there are ways to change that, see the details in the original post.

This does not unlock the boot loader, does not install a custom recovery or allow you to load custom ROMs.

@k1mu created this method using an Experia exploit and modifying it for the Galaxy S4 full size, however it works for many other Android devices. I used this to root a Verizon Galaxy S4 Mini SCH-I435 and other people have reported this working for the S3, Note 2, other carrier phones and some non-Samsung devices.

This will provide root access on your phone and install SuperSU. This works with Android 4.3 as well as 4.2.2.

Here's the basic steps to root your S4 Mini (for the full step-by-step visit the thread):
5. Root your phone

If you have questions or run into problems reply to k1mu's thread. He is very helpful and quick to reply.

What variations of the S4 Mini will this work on? for instance my one ( GT-I9190 )?

postal302

Nov 21, 2013
Nashville
What variations of the S4 Mini will this work on? for instance my one ( GT-I9190 )?

This is fairly new in the Mini world so I'm not sure which ones this method is confirmed for, but it should work for most any of the models. Over in the full size S4 forums it seems the AT&T phones are preventing root but others are having success. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your 9190, but the beauty of it is if it doesn't work there's no harm done. The ADB debugger will simply stop and your phone will remain unrooted, it's worth a shot.

If it does work let me know. I've started a list in post 2 of Minis that have successfully rooted using this method.

There's tons of other options for GT*'s (flashes, roms, roots). I'd suggest checking them out. The verizon version (SCH*) was the one lacking safe root.

There's a root method listed for the 9190 somewhere here in the forums but I believe it trips the KNOX flag and voids warranty. The post doesn't say whether it does or not, but gathering from what others have said in the thread it appears to change the KNOX flag to 0x1.

The Jinxer

Aug 26, 2012
Cape Town
This is fairly new in the Mini world so I'm not sure which ones this method is confirmed for, but it should work for most any of the models. Over in the full size S4 forums it seems the AT&T phones are preventing root but others are having success. I don't see why it wouldn't work on your 9190, but the beauty of it is if it doesn't work there's no harm done. The ADB debugger will simply stop and your phone will remain unrooted, it's worth a shot.

If it does work let me know. I've started a list in post 2 of Minis that have successfully rooted using this method.

There's a root method listed for the 9190 somewhere here in the forums but I believe it trips the KNOX flag and voids warranty. The post doesn't say whether it does or not, but gathering from what others have said in the thread it appears to change the KNOX flag to 0x1.

looks like it worked, but i think i am seeing a slight performance decrease... unrooting... but thanks :)

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

tried rooting again, seems to have no performance issues... maybe my phone was just reacting to its anal rape via usb

postal302

Nov 21, 2013
Nashville
looks like it worked, but i think i am seeing a slight performance decrease... unrooting... but thanks :)

---------- Post added at 02:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

tried rooting again, seems to have no performance issues... maybe my phone was just reacting to its anal rape via usb

I'd give it a couple days to adjust to it's new digs. I loaded a new kernel on my S3 which was supposed to improve battery life, day one was terrible but from then on it did in fact improve. I wasn't a believer in letting the phone "settle in"until then.

For curiosity sake, what did you do to unroot? Did it return the custom flag to official if it changed?

Can I count this as confirmed for the I9190?

The Jinxer

Aug 26, 2012
Cape Town
You can definitely count this as confirmed. I'm not sure if the custom flag has been tripped. Nothing has changed in the About device settings

The Jinxer

Aug 26, 2012
Cape Town

For those of you who want root access to your phone and do not want to use Kingo (root without Kingo) here is a safe method. The best part is if it doesn't work there is no harm done to your phone, it simply will not root. This will provide root on the stock software and DOES NOT trip the KNOX flag (your KNOX flag will remain 0x0). It may change the System Status to "Custom" (this can be seen in Download Mode or in the phone's menu under Settings->About Phone->Status->Device Status) but there are ways to change that, see the details in the original post.

5. Root your phone

Just want to mention, I went into odin mode to check my knox status, and there is no mention of knox whatsoever??? i want to make sure my knox status isn't 0x1 but it looks like its gone? i thought knox flag was set by hardware? the eFuse or something

The Jinxer

Aug 26, 2012
Cape Town
Has anyone tried it with the GT-I9195 model?
And more specific with the I9195XXUBMJ7 firmware, will this method trip knox warranty void?

doubt it man, this method is still new. if anything you could be the one to test, as i did, i do have my warranty at stake, but cant be sure if its void since im not seeing ANY flags, the knox app is still there, but if i go to odin download mode, no knox entries appear.

Reactions: dermousis

SilviuMik

Nov 17, 2011
doubt it man, this method is still new. if anything you could be the one to test, as i did, i do have my warranty at stake, but cant be sure if its void since im not seeing ANY flags, the knox app is still there, but if i go to odin download mode, no knox entries appear.

That is because u don`t have NEW bootloader yet :)
Just to be sure tell me what u see in *#1234#
U are in luck so to speak ;) u have old firmware that does not contain Knox bootloader only Knox apps that are harmless without bootloader :)
U can use this guide : when a new firmware comes out :) Just don`t update with Kies/OTA and u are good to go :)

Reactions: The Jinxer

The Jinxer

Aug 26, 2012
Cape Town
That is because u don`t have NEW bootloader yet :)
Just to be sure tell me what u see in *#1234#
U are in luck so to speak ;) u have old firmware that does not contain Knox bootloader only Knox apps that are harmless without bootloader :)
U can use this guide : when a new firmware comes out :) Just don`t update with Kies/OTA and u are good to go :)

AP: I9190XXUAMF7
CP: (same as above)
CSC: I9190OJVAMG1

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

i dont really mind having the knox bootloader when an OTA rolls out, i want the new version of android more than I want to root it

SilviuMik

Nov 17, 2011
AP: I9190XXUAMF7
CP: (same as above)
CSC: I9190OJVAMG1

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

i dont really mind having the knox bootloader when an OTA rolls out, i want the new version of android more than I want to root it

U don`t have the new bootloader :) Only from MK* MJ* ML* came the new bootloader :)
Well, u know better what u want from your phone :)
U can use Kies/OTA and stock rom no root / no different kernel and battery drain for now and hope Samsung will fix it on KitKat ( I did write to them on all channels how to fix it but .... will take a loooong time :)
Or Odin Stock rom / custom rom + custom kernel + no battery drain :)
Anyway all this is off topic
Just wanted to let u know u are lucky and can do a thing about Knox :) Other updated and cry after ^^
Take care mate :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

For those of you who want root access to your phone and do not want to use Kingo (root without Kingo) here is a safe method. The best part is if it doesn't work there is no harm done to your phone, it simply will not root. This will provide root on the stock software and DOES NOT trip the KNOX flag (your KNOX flag will remain 0x0). The way to trip the KNOX flag is by changing the kernel or bootloader/recovery and this does neither. It may change the System Status to "Custom" (this can be seen in Download Mode or in the phone's menu under Settings->About Phone->Status->Device Status) but there are ways to change that, see the details in the original post.

5. Root your phone

If you find yourself needing to unroot, visit post #2 in the original thread and follow the steps. You can find SCH-I435 stock firmware and Verizon software in this thread (post #10 & #12). I HAVE NOT TRIED THESE SO USE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.
    confirmed working on i9192 with ML4 :) :good: .. also i updated the apk pushed as the one inside didnt give me the knox removal popup :) .. cheers

RUN THE APP IN ADMIN MODE FOR WINDOWS 7\8 To avoid any problems/issues
    List of devices this is confirmed working for:
    Verizon SCH-I435
    GT-I9190
    GT-I9195 some variants (see post 33)
    GT-I8190 (S3 Mini)

Devices this does not work for:
    GT-I9195 some variants (see post 23-31)

Let me know if this works for your phone and I'll add it to the list.
    Not working for GT-I9195.. What a pity :(
    I'm looking at my TowelRooted VZW SCH-I435 (4.4.2) (kernal version 3.4.0 dpi@SWDD3013 #1 Fri May 23 23:07:04 KST 2014) (build number KOT49H.I435VRUBNE1) with NOX still intact as it constantly spams you have updates available over and over refusing to let me do much of anything but update ... but I don't wish to lose my root... I'd rather it be outdated and rooted then lose all my functionality .... what should I do? fight past all the popups? .. or just give in? Has someone figured something out?

Will TowelRoot still work after the update? Can it be reapplied after update and still succeed?

I just got this phone not too long ago .. it replaced my Galaxy S 1 (fascinate) that i kept rooted and rom'd for years ( Thank you XDA Community! )

What I did for the moment is used a free app called App Quarantine to freeze the "SDM" process. I had to go to the menu and check an option allowing system processes to be shown in the list. No more update notifications.

God damn do I hate VZW and Samsung after trying to do stuff with this phone. Everything is closed off. Can't even use the device as mass storage. None of the ROMs are ever available for the SCH-i435, it's always the other carriers' models of the phone. Will not ever be renewing a Verizon Wireless contract as long as I live.