[TESTED] ICS on Australian Tablet S

Search This thread

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
For anyone interested, I have just successfully flashed the official ICS OTA update on my Australian Tablet S. I assume this will also work for any other region.

I simply used the All-In-One tool to change my region to US. The OTA update was then available and I downloaded and installed it with no issues at all.

Be aware, if you use this method to update, you will loose your root access and there is currently no method to root the tablet when it has been updated with an official OTA zip.

boakesm

Nov 11, 2011
Can you give some detail on what and how...I am not a techie but would like upgrade. I have a UK tablet

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA Premium HD app

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
REMEMBER: At present it is not possible to root a tablet which has been upgraded using this method. Once you update, you will loose Root access, which makes changing the region back to your original country impossible. Only use this method if you don't care that you will loose root.

While this worked just fine for me, I'm not promising it will work for others. Try this at your own risk.

Step 1. Install the ADB drivers using the instructions here

Step 2. Download and run the All-In-One tool from here

Step 3. Follow the on screen instructions to Root your Tablet. Once this is completed and the device has rebooted, open AIO tool again.

Step 4. Follow the on screen instructions to change your Region to US.

Step 5. Reboot your tablet and go to settings-About-System Update. It should prompt you to download the 4.0.3 update now.

Step 6. Download and follow the instructions on screen to update.

sapphire88

Oct 12, 2010
Sorry, one lastquestion.. you have flashed the official ota without changing any values oin the regiona build? if yes i must wait for the official australian version of the 3g to come out... here in italy as usual we will be the latest to have the update...

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
Sorry. I'm not sure I understand the question.

I had to change my region FROM Australia TO US to download the update over OTA.

There is currently no ICS update available for 3G devices anywhere. If you change your region to US and download the OTA update, you will lose 3G functionality all together. Plus, because there is no way to root the device once the update has been applied, you can't get back to the original ROM, or change your region back again.

It's a one way street at the moment, unless you use a pre-rooted ROM.

sapphire88

Oct 12, 2010
Sorry, but you have answered my question without wanting :D i only wanted to know if there is an official austrialan wifi only update, but you told me that you have changed the region to us... so, thank you... i only have to wait...

Jul 14, 2010
question

REMEMBER: At present it is not possible to root a tablet which has been upgraded using this method. Once you update, you will loose Root access, which makes changing the region back to your original country impossible. Only use this method if you don't care that you will loose root.

While this worked just fine for me, I'm not promising it will work for others. Try this at your own risk.

Step 1. Install the ADB drivers using the instructions here

Step 2. Download and run the All-In-One tool from here

Step 3. Follow the on screen instructions to Root your Tablet. Once this is completed and the device has rebooted, open AIO tool again.

Step 4. Follow the on screen instructions to change your Region to US.

Step 5. Reboot your tablet and go to settings-About-System Update. It should prompt you to download the 4.0.3 update now.

Step 6. Download and follow the instructions on screen to update.

cna i ask, is the usb cable required for the sony tablet a standard micro usb to usb cable??

Jul 14, 2010
another question

can you tell me if ics on the sony tablet s supports ad hoc wifi connections, its the main reason id like to upgrade to ics, has anybody tried it?

I have a rooted htc hd2 with barnicle wifi tether, it only has ad hoc as a wifi connection !!

Last edited:

rodloc

May 8, 2012
disadvantages to rooting

anyone know of any disadvantages to rooting the tablet and changing it to the US region.

I am thinking of doing this but still not sure.

I am in New Zealand with an Australian version

Thanks

Last edited:

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
I did this works fine except you lose root if you use the stock OTA

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk 2

Sentinel196

Mar 24, 2010
You'll get US content on Sony Entertainment Network services, rather than Australian.

More of an advantage if you ask me.

other than that, none that I'm aware of.

I'm pretty sure the All-in-one tool can set your region back after the update now too. But maybe check with Condi. It's changed since I flashed a week ago.

Warren_Orange

Jun 2, 2011
Can changing the region and downloading ICS brick your device in anyway??

I've got a UK Tablet S and TBH I'm close to selling it because I can't stand HC. I'm close to picking up a Moto Xoom just for ICS even though the screen is poorer and its as heavy as a brick.

vnqshr

Nov 30, 2010
Warren,

Just be sure to follow the instructions exactly. If you have any questions, just ask around here. I'm not taking responsibility for your device, so I won't say there is ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of it bricking, but a lot of people have done it without problems, myself included (I was on an Australian device).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes. I have used many different cables. If the shoe fits.....