[MOD] Webtop Via HDMI Without a Dock

Search This thread

cellzealot

Jan 4, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.fileserve.com/file/M7822Z4/VRZ_XT875_5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01.xml.zip

Get the file from the above link and unzip it to a folder on your desktop.

Then boot to fastboot mode and connect the phone to PC.
Open RSD Lite and make sure it sees your phone listed in the bottom window.
Now open the folder where you unzipped the xml.zip and take the file named: VRZ_XT875_5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01.xml and drag it into the top right pane of RSD Lite. It will populate the window with the file info and the start button will no longer be greyed out.

Now hit the start button and let it flash. This will take a while and it will reboot into recovery to flash the radios and then reboot once more to the OS and the initial setup "Touch the Android to Begin" screen.

You must be sure you have enough charge in the battery before starting this or you will need to charge it first in an external charger or another Bionic.

I hope that is enough to get you going again.

Good luck!

It is really important to read everything you can BEFORE you start doing anything with your phone so you understand what you need to do to restore your phone and have all the files you may need assembled first.

Otherwise you are just waiting for a catastrophe and scrambling around in a frantic effort to fix your device.

Jan 11, 2012
Albany
THanks!

http://www.fileserve.com/file/M7822Z4/VRZ_XT875_5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01.xml.zip

Get the file from the above link and unzip it to a folder on your desktop.

Then boot to fastboot mode and connect the phone to PC.
Open RSD Lite and make sure it sees your phone listed in the bottom window.
Now open the folder where you unzipped the xml.zip and take the file named: VRZ_XT875_5.9.902.XT875.Verizon.en.US_CFC_01.xml and drag it into the top right pane of RSD Lite. It will populate the window with the file info and the start button will no longer be greyed out.

Now hit the start button and let it flash. This will take a while and it will reboot into recovery to flash the radios and then reboot once more to the OS and the initial setup "Touch the Android to Begin" screen.

You must be sure you have enough charge in the battery before starting this or you will need to charge it first in an external charger or another Bionic.

I hope that is enough to get you going again.

Good luck!

It is really important to read everything you can BEFORE you start doing anything with your phone so you understand what you need to do to restore your phone and have all the files you may need assembled first.

Otherwise you are just waiting for a catastrophe and scrambling around in a frantic effort to fix your device.
THanks for the detailed instructions, I have been trying to make my moves slowly and carfully (it took me a month to make sure a root would work) and that is why i am confuse why the theme worked the first time but messed it up the second.
will let you know how it turns out

Wheelman6969

Nov 28, 2008
Two things:

First I tried to install the zip file via Recovery->SD Card->zip file. I get an error: whole-file signature failed; and the system aborts the install. My phone is rooted (Petes)and is running the .902 update. Any suggestions?

Second. I am not sure if this fix will allow my to do what I am trying to achieve. I want my external monitor to always show in portrait mode just like my cell phone does (see picture). When I rotate my phone to landscape mode, the screen shows as in the picture for just a second then goes into landscape mode.

If this app does not do what I am looking for, any ideas of an app or could someone recommend a developer I can contact to hire to do the job?

I am going to use the external HDMI screen, 7 inch, on my motorcycle as my GPS, radar detector, radio, and what ever else I can. The external monitor will be permanently mounted in portrait mode which is why I need it to work that way I am asking for. Other pictures are at my other post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1522164

Attachments

• Pic-2.jpg
    Pic-2.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 593

Tucknology

Jul 11, 2011
Hi Everyone. I finally got around to trying this out. The webtop works fine on my television, except that the keyboard/mousepad do not appear on the bionic's screen. So I don't have any way to control it. Here's my setup:

System: 902
ROM: Kin3tix
Theme: Honeycream
Recovery: Safestrap
Keyboard: Swype/Multitouch (Neither worked)

Any ideas?

JDMpire

Nov 21, 2008
Philly & Bangkok
I had that happen once, but I don't know what I did to fix it. The phone has powercycled since then and I am using webtop now (dockless) and the phone is displaying the trackpad / keyboard properly now.

Edit: I just realized I can not right click using my magic trackpad. I use that and the apple BT keyboard to interface with the phone, but I lost my right click. I had it earlier Im sure... odd

Last edited:

Furioustylez

Jun 27, 2011
Um... you can already do this with ICS, and JB. I'm always hooking up my Bionic to my 60inch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

runandhide05

Apr 3, 2011
Didn't Motorola kill web top with the ICS update.
You should just get a mirror IMG of your screen or I know there was a possibility of having a tablet interface / UI when connected via HDMI.. At least that was the talk
Don't have this phone anymore so can't be of much help there

mike t

Oct 15, 2007
When I hook mine up with HDMI cable it gives me 2 options webtop or mirror. Webtop is included in ICS but I think it will not be further developed for JB. Maybe you should try a factory reset or fxz.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

projektorboy

Sep 3, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Didn't Motorola kill web top with the ICS update.
You should just get a mirror IMG of your screen or I know there was a possibility of having a tablet interface / UI when connected via HDMI.. At least that was the talk
Don't have this phone anymore so can't be of much help there

When I hook mine up with HDMI cable it gives me 2 options webtop or mirror. Webtop is included in ICS but I think it will not be further developed for JB. Maybe you should try a factory reset or fxz.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

So you guys are definitely saying that all I need to activate webtop on stock ICS is an HDMI cable?

I'm pretty much at the point where I'm going to FXZ and factory reset to be on the safe side. I'm massively aggressive with Titanium Backup when it comes to freezing apps and I think I froze/removed too much.

HDMI Mirroring works, at least. That will be cool to mess with webtop on my 42" TV. Thanks for the input guys.

smokedkill

Apr 13, 2010
Webtop for ICS is a joke. If you're hooking up to a tv, you're better off mirroring your screen unless you have a mouse and keyboard you can connected to your phone. At least in the old version, you could use the Firefox browser for using Hulu.

I'm not the biggest fan of the screen mirroring due to it not giving you a choice in the screen orientation. It's almost like you're forced to bend your HDMI wire since its slot faces you instead of the tv, and shortening the lifespan of the wire.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

kevinola

Oct 10, 2013
xt626 ironrock and hd station

i have a motorola xt626 ironrock with hdmi. i bought the HD Multimedia Dock for the atrix with remote control and usb ports.
(modded the ports so it fits this phone)
For now it just works as a base for chargint with normal hdmi with mirroring.
Will this add the webtop capabilities? And detect the dock as is?

Voha888

Apr 28, 2014
Dnipro
I have enough confirmations that I can now confirm this is working, and have made a flashable zip install method for those less technical of us.

What this mod does:

What this means to you:

Installation:

Method 1: Flashable ZIP

Method 2: ADB install

Thanks to:
TopazAaron - For catching a typo in my install script.

Appreciate my work? Buy Me a Beer:
How to make the same mod for Atrix2?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have enough confirmations that I can now confirm this is working, and have made a flashable zip install method for those less technical of us.

What this mod does:
    It removes the device ID string check from PortalApp, and enables the webtop option in DockService. Replacing these two apk files effectively allows the webtop to launch without proprietary hardware.

What this means to you:
    Webtop mode over any HDMI without an expensive dock.

Installation:

Method 1: Flashable ZIP

Method 2: ADB install
    Download the package here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=734235&d=1317262181
    First Get the files to the device and remount /system as rw:
    Code:
    adb push DockService.apk /mnt/sdcard/
    adb push PortalApp.apk /mnt/sdcard/
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system

Backup the original files:
    Code:
    mv /system/app/DockService.odex /system/app/DockService.odex.bak
    mv /system/app/PortalApp.odex /system/app/PortalApp.odex.bak
    cp /system/app/DockService.apk /system/app/DockService.apk.bak
    cp /system/app/PortalApp.apk /system/app/PortalApp.apk.bak

Copy the modded files over fix permissions and reboot:
    Code:
    cp /mnt/sdcard/DockService.apk /system/app
    cp /mnt/sdcard/PortalApp.apk /system/app
    chmod 644 /system/app/DockService.apk
    chmod 644 /system/app/PortalApp.apk
    reboot
    Thanks to:
    TopazAaron - For catching a typo in my install script.

Appreciate my work? Buy Me a Beer:

I did this.

waiting for my bro to let me use the hdmi cable.

btw i couldnt get system to mount with tho command.
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    i had to use
    mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
    Make a flashable zip now :)

Also, don't try to do this with root explorer. You'll get force closes without "Portal.apk" :eek:
    Just flashed the .zip and plugged in my HDMI. Nothing happened.

Do you have ADB set up, can you post a logcat log?
    flashed the zip and it worked like a charm. So well infact i am typing this on Webtop

Edit: No terminal, I tried ctrl alt t and got an error