[Utility][WIP/DEV] FireParted v1.1 - KF Partition Manager

Search This thread

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
As long as you can get into fastboot/recovery it should be fixable. FIREFIREFIRE v1.1 can 'fastboot oem format' to reset the device to its initial internal point, or in recovery you can examine the partition table and fix whatever is in a bad state.

Actually, would you be willing/able to post your layout as it is now? That could be helpful, too, even in its current working state.

I can but it is the stock partition table. After it messed up i didn't want to risk it.

eldarerathis

Jun 21, 2010
I can do that, what's the best way to get the table contents so that I can post them? I guess I could start your program and take a screen cap of the table that shows up?

You can jut copy/paste the text output, or do it from a terminal ('adb shell parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 print' should work, but you'll need to be in recovery mode).

airmaxx23

Jun 25, 2010
Colton, NY
Here ya go...

Capture.PNG

Reactions: eldarerathis

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
What am I doing wrong? I am on Win7 64bit with the correct adb drivers installed. When I run Fireparted and click through the warning screen it immediately crashes. Here are the details:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: fireparted.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.1.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 4f052142
Problem Signature 04: System
Problem Signature 05: 2.0.0.0
Problem Signature 06: 4ca2ba90
Problem Signature 07: 3aa0
Problem Signature 08: 394
Problem Signature 09: System.ComponentModel.Win32
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

animefun135

Nov 28, 2011
I just broke my partition table... I have TWRP - so how to fix it?
Help please I can't even flash any rom.

But I have fastboot worked... i can restore my Kindle or this end again?

Last edited:

animefun135

Nov 28, 2011
how I can do this? "parted" command dont work for me...

FireParted says:

Reading partition table...
Model: MMC M8G2FA (sd/mmc)
Disk /dev/block/mmcblk0: 7734MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 131kB 262kB 131kB xloader
2 262kB 524kB 262kB bootloader
3 524kB 11.0MB 10.5MB dkernel
4 11.0MB 212MB 201MB ext4 dfs
5 212MB 229MB 16.8MB recovery
6 229MB 296MB 67.1MB ext4 backup
7 296MB 307MB 10.5MB boot
8 307MB 312MB 5243kB ext4 splash
9 312MB 849MB 537MB ext4 system
12 1546MB 7690MB 6144MB fat32 media msftres

Error: Unable to read partition table from device!

---------- Post added at 01:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 AM ----------

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20880465&postcount=58

here is instuction how to recover partition but commnd

parted /dev/block/mmcblk0 dont work - help!!!!!

# parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
parted: not found

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
Make sure you have fastboot installed on your system. Plug the kindle in via USB and run

Code:
fastboot devices

If it comes up blank that is ok, just as long as it runs.

Then run

Code:
adb shell idme bootmode 4002
adb reboot

This will reboot you into fastboot mode. Your kindle will appear to be stuck at the FIRE screen but that is OK.

Run
Code:
fastboot devices
At this point it should come up with your device and show that it is in fastboot mode.

To restore your factory partitions run
Code:
fastboot oem format
fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot reboot

This should restart your kindle and be good to go with factory partitions.

Reactions: animefun135

animefun135

Nov 28, 2011
Thanks but didn't work...

tools>fastboot devices
0123456789ABCDEF

fastboot
tools>fastboot oem format
... FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.011s

I think this is end :(( My brain explode now...

animefun135

Nov 28, 2011
But I can boot succsessfully kernel...

fastboot boot kernelcm7.img but this do nothing just going to black screen.

Can I boot all system with this "boot" command?

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 AM ----------

Very very thankfull for trying help me... I don't know what version FFF i use. I installed TWRP with KFU.

what version FFF TWRP uses by default?

And I can't even restore stock firmware!!!!! TWRP can't mount any of partition table.

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 AM ----------

When I booted new FFF 1.2 I can't anyway use format command.

d0Zt

SirVilhelm

Dec 17, 2008
1.0 I believe. 1.2 has the built in partition recovery.

Download 1.2 from the link above

Code:
adb shell idme bootmode 4002
adb reboot
fastboot devices
fastboot flash bootloader u-boot.bin
fastboot reboot

This should install the new version and reboot back into fastboot.
Code:
fastboot devices
fastboot oem format
fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot reboot

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

From your screenshot it doesn't look like your device is in fastboot

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

This is also an option for you

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1430038

usb_fix_parts_and_install_fff_twrp

Reactions: animefun135

animefun135

Nov 28, 2011
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH..... YOU A LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!! I never forget you!!!!! THIS IS REEEEEAAALY FIX MY KINDLE FIRE.

My Kindle Fire was in the balance of death, I am incredibly grateful to you.

The one thing want add.

fastboot oem format - DONT WORK IN 1.0 FIRE FIRE FIRE VERSION!!!!

When I flash 1.2 version and use FORMAT - this command really fix my device and I booted MIUI ROM!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Notice: I'm shelving this, at least for now. The errors are too inconsistent and sporadic, and testing has proven to bee rather arduous. I won't delete the repos, but I'm not currently planning to support or look at this much for at least the near future. It's worked for some people, but USE AT YOUR OWN RISK only. I am not providing binaries for this, if you want to use it then you'll need to build it yourself and if you go to that much trouble I would hope you know what you're doing.

If an error occurs, I recommend rebooting into any version of FIREFIREFIRE that has the 'fastboot oem format' command and using that to fix your partition table. If you have no idea what that last sentence just said, I strongly suggest you do not use this tool.

-----

I briefly mentioned in a previous post that I was working on an app that would enable you to resize your data, cache, and sdcard partitions so that you can have some more app installation space. Now that I've gotten everything to a stable point, I'd like to go ahead and release my work to the general public for anyone who wants to give it a try. So, I'd like to present what I've named FireParted.

What is it?

FireParted is a basic partition manager for your Kindle Fire, released under the GNU General Public License v3.0. It provides you with a (hopefully) intuitive GUI for resizing your data, cache, and sdcard partitions. It does not support or affect any other partitions on your device.

FirePartedScreen1.png

How does it work?

To use FireParted you will first need the following:

1. ADB needs to be configured on your computer to connect to your Kindle Fire. This will not install or configure the ADB drivers for you, but KFU will.
    2. You need to have a custom recovery installed (tested against TWRP, but ClockworkMod should also work)
    3. You need to have Windows with the .NET 3.5 Framework installed (Win7 ships with this, XP and Vista users can use the link to the left if needed). I plan to support Mono, but it has not been tested yet (it does build in MonoDevelop, though, so that's a good sign).
    4. (Optional, but recommended) FIREFIREFIRE v1.1 or later. This will give you access to the 'fastboot oem format' command should something horrible happen (power loss, your computer crashes mid-partition, etc).
    5. Your device must be in recovery mode while running FireParted in order to repartition it. Note that you can make an archive of your /data partition from a normal OS boot.
    6. (Optional) If you want to examine a data archive backup on your computer, I highly recommend 7-zip. It's lightweight, free, open source, and supports TAR and GZIP archives, which is what I'm using to create the backup.

Once you are sure that you have met the prerequisites, you can simply launch the FireParted executable to start the application. Again, before you can do any partitioning work, you will need to reboot your device into recovery. Next you should read the partition table of your device to get a baseline, and then backup your data partition (unless you want it to be formatted). The numeric controls on the left allow you to choose the partition sizes you want, and "Apply Changes" will perform the repartition for you. Then you can restore your data backup and reboot to test your new layout!

Can I get a quick feature rundown?

Sure. FireParted currently supports the following:
    • Repartitioning of the data, cache, and sdcard partitions, to allow for larger app installation space (for example).
    • Archiving and unarchiving of the data partition (to preserve data during a repartition). Can be used simply as a backup mechanism if desired (requires root).
    • Basic sanity checking - FireParted keeps track of how much space you have to split amongst the data/cache/sdcard partitions, and won't let you create a partition that doesn't fit. It also won't let you shrink a partition to be smaller than its current contents. Also limits the cache partition to a minimum of 64MB.

Where can I get it?

The source code is available on my GitHub.
    CHANGELOG

Version 1.1 - 01/04/2012:

Fixed some math/parsing so that FireParted will be more intelligent when determining start/end points for partitions.

Version 1.0.1 - 01/04/2012:

Fixed a minor bug that would cause the GUI buttons to get stuck in a disabled state if an error occurred while reading the partition table.

Version 1.0 - 01/04/2012:

Initial release. Includes all of the planned basic features:
    • Repartitioning of the data, cache, and sdcard partitions, to allow for larger app installation space (for example).
    • Archiving and unarchiving of the data partition (to preserve data during a repartition). Can be used simply as a backup mechanism if desired (requires root).
    • Basic sanity checking - FireParted keeps track of how much space you have to split amongst the data/cache/sdcard partitions, and won't let you create a partition that doesn't fit. It also won't let you shrink a partition to be smaller than its current contents.

Planned features/Needs work

• Figure out what the hell is causing the "cannot meet constraints" error on other Fires (but not mine :()
    • Test and support Mono builds/execution on Windows
    • Test and support Mono builds/execution on Linux (possibly Mac as well)
    So not sure if anyone is still interested in this but the issue is pretty straight forward. For whatever reason, "umount sdcard" doesn't work. I looked at the source code for FireParted and in the constants.cs file, umount sdcard is being used so it that's why the program fails. You have to unmount the sdcard partition by it's name. After I did this, I was able to remove all the partitions, resize them, rename them then boom, done :good:
    Take a look here, you'll have to rebuild your partitions manually

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1388996

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

then run the fastboot oem format command