ICS First Impressions

Search This thread

hogaburger

Mar 20, 2012
www.dvdactive.com
Looks great so far. The Home launcher is much more responsive so I can do away with ADW EX for now.

Kind of wish there were more small apps, but browser, calculator and IR remote are great choices for those and they work terrifically.

What do you guys think so far?

ckmaster

Jan 3, 2008
Looks great so far. The Home launcher is much more responsive so I can do away with ADW EX for now.

Kind of wish there were more small apps, but browser, calculator and IR remote are great choices for those and they work terrifically.

What do you guys think so far?

When is 4.0.4 coming!!! :-D, so far so good on my end, seems more responsive. WIFI seems to stay on and work a lot better.

jbatch

Dec 23, 2010
Upgraded to ics and my play store keeps crashing. Tried clearing cache and data, then it runs for about 5 min and crashes again...anyone else having similar issues?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

eus107709

Feb 16, 2008
The tablet was initially very laggy after the update but a reboot seemed to fix things, with the exception of the notification menu. It stutters very noticeably and is extremely annoying. Many apps also don't rotate properly anymore.

Still better than Honeycomb despiute those drawbacks.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA

the_black_dragon

Dec 23, 2008
DAMN YOU SONY!!!

Things i hate:
- this annoying wifi keepalive issue is still there!!! there is no way to keep wifi active during standby -.- damned why don't they let us users the choice... there IS an option to set the standby behavior but its still completely useless....

- sometimes there are widget issues (doesn't matter if 3rd party or preinstalled) that widgets change into editor mode when just pressing a button like update... changing screen ang going back will fix this temporarily... had this 2 times now...

- auto brigtness issue still not resolved... in low light the screen is MUCH too dark and when changing from full brightess to automatic it keeps full for a while and then goes down to min

- homescreen lag is still too much in portrait

- forced portrait is still not changable (damn i'm righthanded and want to hold it on the ROUND side when portrait is forced!!!!)

- the new ICS launcher... Sonys previous own launcher had a better overview with the sorting possibilities but ok we can have folders now...

- still no thumb keyboard -.-

things i like:
- media from SD card is now directly available and nut just for transfer... finally i have enough memory also without root and mounting stuff ^^

- the new mini-apps are nice but there is still much potential for more apps

- the new version of "Favorites" App is very nice animated and faster

- ICS possibility to deactivate system apps that are not removable... finally i get this google music player away

- a few other ICS related things...

ALL IN ALL this update is a big disappointement... they updated to ICS, integrated one or thwo new features and that's it??? all the big issues are still there since more than six months!!!!!

Reactions: daClaus

crh8

Sep 16, 2010
I have personally had a fantastic experience with the ICS update. Everything seems faster across the board. Menus more responsive, faster browser, better keyboard response/feedback. I also like the ICS look and feel and the mini apps. Really happy with the update so far.

Reactions: robber

EwanG

Jan 16, 2009
San Antonio, TX
500px.com
I used to be able to DL directly to my SD Card, and using ES File Manager to move files around. Now it refuses to do so. Anyone else having this issue? If not, what file manager are you using?

intellix

Aug 1, 2010
My tablet seems to have gone really slow after the ICS update.
I tried a factory restore to ensure that I didnt have too many things installed and decided to start afresh. Didnt help. The tablet is still very slow. While the touch is responsive and I like the features of ICS like slide to dismiss, reading files directly from SD card etc, I definitely donot like the amount of lag I am noticing.

All my apps seem to be really really slow.
My Honeycomb seemed to be far more faster irrespective of all the issues that it had.

Any suggestions anyone?? I am on non rooted US version 16Gb Wifi.

pokoedge

Jun 16, 2011
My tablet seems to have gone really slow after the ICS update.
I tried a factory restore to ensure that I didnt have too many things installed and decided to start afresh. Didnt help. The tablet is still very slow. While the touch is responsive and I like the features of ICS like slide to dismiss, reading files directly from SD card etc, I definitely donot like the amount of lag I am noticing.

All my apps seem to be really really slow.
My Honeycomb seemed to be far more faster irrespective of all the issues that it had.

Any suggestions anyone?? I am on non rooted US version 16Gb Wifi.

Have you tried going into Settings > Developer Options and tick "Force GPU rendering"?

reddytej

Nov 27, 2010
Bangalore
I'm thinking of buying the sony tablet s. I've read on various reviews that this tablet's battery life is not that impressive (Honeycomb0, is that true? And btw how is the battery life after the ics update? Is there any improvement?

bassir.masood

Jul 24, 2010
ics update

i havent played around much since the update but the little time i did spend with my tab i found it more responsive and smoother.... i am liking the ics update... dont know why others having issues but i think we should give it a couple of days so that all issues are ironed out.... :)

pokoedge

Jun 16, 2011
someone can connect tablet with PC on MTP usb

i tried many times but i couldn't :(

On the first time, it took a while to show up as windows tried to reinstall the drivers for the tablet. Maybe you should keep it connected on USB and wait for a while and see if it shows up?

taruu

Mar 22, 2011
On the first time, it took a while to show up as windows tried to reinstall the drivers for the tablet. Maybe you should keep it connected on USB and wait for a while and see if it shows up?

i'm steel keeping connection but nothing happened
should i try to reinstall drivers forcibly?

macmeier

Sep 28, 2011
I don't understand the problems with wifi-keep-alive.There a apps in the playstore to force this. It worked well for me in Honeycomb.

Same with a thumb-keyboard.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

taruu

Mar 22, 2011

cezarL

I don't understand the problems with wifi-keep-alive.There a apps in the playstore to force this. It worked well for me in Honeycomb.

The problem with that app from the market is that it keeps the device awake when you turn off the screen, and it eats through the battery.

On the Android phones I've used (Legend, Desire, Arc S), the WiFi remained connected, but the phone also went to sleep, battery drain was minimal.
This is the behaviour we were expecting to see in the ICS update, but unfortunately it hasn't been fixed...

derFrink

Apr 27, 2012
Hey, i have a 3g tablet, because that i have to wait for upgrading.

But i have an important question for hifi guys: What is with the IR-Remote app...
Are there any changes to the App on Honeycomb?
I bought the tablet for controlling my homecinema an know i want to know if we get makros in the IR-Remote app?

pls check it and give a response to me :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its going to be a long wait for EU Users i quess, only thing i wanted to know how much languages are available on this one? Does it has Dutch included?

heres the list of languages available from the US version.

http://imageshack.us/f/801/screenshot2012042720265.png/
    It's driving me nuts already!

On top of that, Apex Launcher is very laggy (bummer, it was one of the reasons I wanted ICS) and I'm having Superuser issues: apps are granted root access when I open them the first time, but some of them (Drive Mount, for example) won't open later on, they get stuck waiting for Superuser to give them root again. Weird...

Then there's the WiFi turning off thing, and broken auto-brightness... Can't say I'm all that happy with this ICS update...

wipe the data and it will be all right. i had te same issue..
    Upgraded to ics and my play store keeps crashing. Tried clearing cache and data, then it runs for about 5 min and crashes again...anyone else having similar issues?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Uninstall from settings and go in as market... That fixed it for me...
    DAMN YOU SONY!!!

Things i hate:
    - this annoying wifi keepalive issue is still there!!! there is no way to keep wifi active during standby -.- damned why don't they let us users the choice... there IS an option to set the standby behavior but its still completely useless....

- sometimes there are widget issues (doesn't matter if 3rd party or preinstalled) that widgets change into editor mode when just pressing a button like update... changing screen ang going back will fix this temporarily... had this 2 times now...

- auto brigtness issue still not resolved... in low light the screen is MUCH too dark and when changing from full brightess to automatic it keeps full for a while and then goes down to min

- homescreen lag is still too much in portrait

- forced portrait is still not changable (damn i'm righthanded and want to hold it on the ROUND side when portrait is forced!!!!)

- the new ICS launcher... Sonys previous own launcher had a better overview with the sorting possibilities but ok we can have folders now...

- still no thumb keyboard -.-

things i like:
    - media from SD card is now directly available and nut just for transfer... finally i have enough memory also without root and mounting stuff ^^

- the new mini-apps are nice but there is still much potential for more apps

- the new version of "Favorites" App is very nice animated and faster

- ICS possibility to deactivate system apps that are not removable... finally i get this google music player away

- a few other ICS related things...

ALL IN ALL this update is a big disappointement... they updated to ICS, integrated one or thwo new features and that's it??? all the big issues are still there since more than six months!!!!!
    I can't remember where i read this but i think its fixed in 4.0.4,
    So you must wait for that release, Or wait for de the devs to complete the rooting for unrooted ICS 4.0.3.