Rooting the Captivate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

spotdog

Oct 4, 2010
Here is the edited and signed root update. Anyone with a Captivate care to try? It's the Vibrant root with the AT&T model added, so it should work

For reference the Captivate is the SGH-I897

so rename this to update.zip place in the root of the SD connect to adb and type adb reboot recovery and select "Reinstall Packages" using the volume keys and power to select

For some reason when i turn my captivate back on and hold the up/down volume buttons it starts up normally; no blue screen as been said. I've tried variations on releasing different buttons at different times but it either boots normally or if i hold everything it shuts back down. I also am having trouble with adp. I just got my droid a week ago and am a noob like many others on this thread. (Oct. 1 2010) Ive dl'ed all the files suggested among looking at other pdf files for pimpin my captivate or the other one.... PLEASE HELP!!!!

Last edited:

spores

Oct 11, 2010
Has anyone had any success rooting the Rogers Captivate SGH-I896?

I have copied the update.zip to the root folder of the internal storage, and updated the script file to reflect my model. It gives me a status 6 error while in the boot loader.

orion_2010

Oct 18, 2010
thanks it works

its works thanks man

Anyone wanna give this one a try? I had edited the update script in wordpad before which I'm sure added some kind of funky formatting. So I made this one in ubuntu and signed it in windows(since I cant figure that one out in ubuntu)

This should work though, and keep in mind it only has the model numbers for the Captivate, no fascinate or epic 4g or vibrant

v1rtu0s1ty

Nov 28, 2010
Good evening folks. Where can I find the HOWTO doc to root my Samsung Captivate? Can my cellphone be rooted?

More info about the phone I bought today.

Under "About Phone"

MODEL NUMBER
SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

FIRMWARE VERSION
2.1 -update1

BASEBAND VERSION
I897UCJH7

KERNEL VERSION
jetaek.lee@sep- 11#2

BUILD NUMBER
ECLAIR.UCJH7

Thanks.

Dani897

Aug 16, 2010
Yes and use the search function in this forum. Not the one at the to of the screen but back up into the captivate development sub forum and to the right above the stickies it says search forum. Type "how to root."
there are tethered one click methods and an update.zip among others. With the update.zip you can download directly to the phone, move it from /sdcard/download or where ever it puts it and move it to /sdcard. reboot into recovery and reinstall packages. No computer needed. Then get rom manager and flash a custom rom with clockwork mod recovery so you have busy box with symlinks and what ever other goodies the dev included. Way easier than doing it your self.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

PaulZazzarino

Nov 27, 2010
Failure To Root

A little new to this but the ATT Captivate does not do much after rooting the device.

I ran the Captivate One Click Root program, and it did indeed instal the files and after selecting the volume down arrow the device reboots.

The Superuser Icon is there under applications, but if I put any APK on the device or pull one from other markets it is still blocked from installing.

Two problems:
When selecting the superuser icon the program launches but nothing displays.

Running any other apk displays the message "Install Blocked for security, your phone is set to block installlation of applications not sourced in Android Market."

I am sure others will run into this. I just picked up this device and can forge some ground if anyone has suggestions ?

v1rtu0s1ty

Nov 28, 2010
Yes and use the search function in this forum. Not the one at the to of the screen but back up into the captivate development sub forum and to the right above the stickies it says search forum. Type "how to root."
there are tethered one click methods and an update.zip among others. With the update.zip you can download directly to the phone, move it from /sdcard/download or where ever it puts it and move it to /sdcard. reboot into recovery and reinstall packages. No computer needed. Then get rom manager and flash a custom rom with clockwork mod recovery so you have busy box with symlinks and what ever other goodies the dev included. Way easier than doing it your self.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

Ok, I tried what you suggested. I didn't find a thread that says "How to root". I did see tons of results. I found one which says "One Click Unlock". However, I'm not looking for unlocking my phone but I want to root it. I found "Rooting the Captivate" thread and this is the same thread where I posted it. However, looking at the first post of this thread, it's not a HowTo.

Status
Not open for further replies.