Kernel 2.6.32-2.6.25 and initrd update with lot of changes

Search This thread

spellshaper

Dec 21, 2007
Thank you l1q1d, I will try to flash that radio and I hope it willl work :(

I am sry that I didnt search (yet I still didnt found any info on that), but I really dont know what to search. I only saw that radio mentioned recently so I tryed to ask.
But if it makes u any better I broke my D-Pad right button and SD card slot cover during that furious flash weekend...

mmec2

Mar 16, 2010
UK
dont put quotations "".

I didn't put the quotations, and the file is no longer in /etc, does it get read and deleted on startup?

Maybe I'll just try it again.

Sent from my Full Android on Kaiser using XDA App

EDIT: with l1q1d's new update it works fine. Thanks L1q1d!
The androidupdate.tar that I made myself didn't work at all for some reason

Last edited:

manu33xtro

Nov 23, 2008
Bordeaux : wine... Hum...
No data connection

Hi l1q1d,

Fantastic... very fast for the first impression :)

I test your script for data but no way : I can see 3G icon but no connection is available...

What can we do for help you ?

Everything else I test before is working (wifi, BT, su with better terminal, rogue tools,..)

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

for data connection try this:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm -r /system/etc/ppp
ln -s /smodem /system/etc/ppp 
mount -o remount,ro /system

@spellshaper: next time use search button in polaris section!!!! Flash 1.59.46.12 radio.

spellshaper

Dec 21, 2007
NEW Radio 1.59.46.12
this NEW update
2.6.32 and 2.6.25

both same OLD problem :/

Seems my Polaris is really special :mad:

PS: one little suggestion, before this update we had seomething like "Vodafone CZo!" as a carrier now it is "Vodafone CZ@0" as I see this name can be affacted, can you rename it to just "Vodafone CZ"?
Hmm now I wonder if even WiFi doesnt work, why I care about such little things :)

Last edited:

Prowess

Jun 24, 2009
is the ip present in modem app?

For some reason, I'm using '[Android] Fat Free Froyo [ODEX'D RLS5] 11/4', but used your update but now don't have data. In the modem app, it just says connect or disconnect. No mention of an ip anywhere, no menu options, just connect or disconnect with 'Turning on data, Done!' or Turning off data, Done!'

Grandelama

Apr 4, 2008
did you try with this code:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /system
rm -r /system/etc/ppp
ln -s /smodem /etc/ppp 
mount -o remount,ro /system

I tried with the code but I still cannot connect.
In the modem app, it just says connect or disconnect. I couldn't find any IP.
Using last Fat free froyo.

n2rjt

NEW Radio 1.59.46.12
this NEW update
2.6.32 and 2.6.25

both same OLD problem :/

Seems my Polaris is really special :mad:

PS: one little suggestion, before this update we had seomething like "Vodafone CZo!" as a carrier now it is "Vodafone CZ@0" as I see this name can be affacted, can you rename it to just "Vodafone CZ"?
Hmm now I wonder if even WiFi doesnt work, why I care about such little things :)

Off topic really since this is a RIL issue not a kernel issue, but I'll reply here so you see my answer. If you have adb on your PC and it works, I'd like to see the output of "adb logcat -b radio" for a few seconds. In Linux you can do: "adb logcat -b radio | tee logcat.txt" then ^C after a few seconds. Otherwise, in a terminal emulator try this: logcat -b radio | grep "COPS:"

There is a fourth parameter, after 0,0,"Vodafone CZ@0", and I am curious what it is. Does it mean the length of the string? If so it will have a value of 11. For me, the four parameters are: 0,0,"AT&T@",4

Edit: no, the 4th apparently means what kind of service: 0=GSM, 2=3G. Apparently 4=HSDPA.
From what I have read, the AT+COPS output is not a reliable way to get operator name.

Last edited:

wondercow

Jun 9, 2008
For what it's worth, the new 2.6.32 kernel update was not usable on my Vogue running Scoot's CM6.1. I applied it tonight, and my phone immediately became laggy to the point of being unusable. Just pressing the power button to wake from sleep would take about 20 seconds to turn the screen on (pressing the back button turned the button lights on instantly, but the screen was not responsive). Eventually, the screen would turn on, but it would take forever to respond to my dragging actions to unlock. From there, the phone was so laggy, I had no hope of doing anything else. Also, the data connection wasn't working.

Then I found this thread and realized I needed to run the androidupdate and the associated adb commands. These did fix my data connection, but the phone was still laggy to the point of being unusable. Also, it rebooted automatically about every 10 minutes.

Rolling back to 2.6.32 from 11-12-10 fixed the responsiveness immediately. Data appears to work fine, though I'm a little worried about what that androidupdate might have changed.

l1q1d

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 19, 2008
Venice
www.tech-team.it
Probably the problem is the free ram. Don't worry about the update.
Could you please open adb and check the free ram (using free command)?

I didn't test in a vogue (i have a polaris and kaiser not a vouge)

wondercow

Jun 9, 2008
Hmm, I didn't see much difference in free ram between the two kernels. I tried each 3 times, about 10 seconds apart.

2.6.32_VOGUIMG-320-FROYO-11-23-10.NBH (unresponsive)
Code:
# free
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       111952       107860         4092            0           24
 Swap:            0            0            0
Total:       111952       107860         4092
# free
  Mem:       111952       110460         1492            0            8
Total:       111952       110460         1492
# free
  Mem:       111952       110416         1536            0            8
Total:       111952       110416         1536

2.6.32_VOGUIMG-320-FROYO-11-12-10.NBH (works great)
Code:
# free
  Mem:       111988       108744         3244            0            8
Total:       111988       108744         3244
# free
  Mem:       111988       110160         1828            0            8
Total:       111988       110160         1828
# 
# free
  Mem:       111988       107852         4136            0            8
Total:       111988       107852         4136

However, it looks like it is killing processes due to low memory issues in the dmesg. Please see the attached zip for dmesg and logcat data. I don't know how to read these files, but hopefully they will be helpful.

Attachments

• debuglogs.zip
    22.3 KB · Views: 8

l1q1d

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 19, 2008
Venice
www.tech-team.it
Open a new thread on vogue section and try if you have time with another distro.
(you can backup your phone using atools and then recover it after testing)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There are many changes on initrd that affect both 2.6.25 and 2.6.32, so:
    When you update you need to apply this.
    If someone post something like wifi doesn't work and he/she didn't apply the update i'll find a way to burn his phone remotely!

I fixed the problem of wifi for polaris (now we use the same module, thanks dzo)
    The new initrd:
    • switch to correct version of modules between 2.6.25 and 2.6.32
    • change the name of the device
    • probably fix data corruption

2.6.32 kernel has a new parameter for fake sync so you can make all test you want (please post results in this thread)

2.6.25 is unchanged so when you flash you change only the initrd.

Haret users please download initrd from here.

if you have problem with data connection please let me know!

I suggest you to download latest version directly from atools.

To apply update you can use the boot menu or atools (BSE->select data and system partitions-> select intall update-> put install-seq.sh in sdcard/andboot/)

Download page here

changelog:
    updated androidupdate.tgz with su fix
    For releaser:
    Entract the update on your distro
    remove the /system/etc/ppp directory
    put the ppp file (extract the zip) on /system/etc/

Release your new distro.
    WTF the answer is in first post!!!!!!
    use the initrd linked in the first post and apply the update.
    you don't need to move anything!!!!
    Did you use the initrd from the link???
    Did you shutdown the device?
    I'm getting the error: "apply modules/androidupdate.tgz failed from sourceforge"
    I don't know what to do anymore... (booting with haret for install on SD Card)

Kernel (zImage) and modules (in androidupdate.tgz) need to match. It is not a very convenient install process though. Put the zImage and androidupdate.tgz files onto your SD in /sdcard/andboot folder, and use Haret to boot into Linux. As soon as you see the Penguin, push the center of the screen until you get the menu. Then install updates, and continue to boot. If you still have problems, I can't be very helpful since I don't use my Kaiser anymore.
    In fact, if anyone in US wants a Kaiser (AT&T Tilt) for the cost of shipping, PM me.