A key in the KF HD & new KF

Search This thread

bournezhang

Dec 31, 2011
it seems a key in the KF HD& new KF, when you boot it ,the machine will check the key,if not match, it wont boot.

so i will wait for some guys to crack it when KF HD& NEW KF in the market in the future

it means we can't flash other rom

Last edited:
Reactions: bitpushr

tobiascuypers

Jun 9, 2012
A little town called Proctor
Well there hasn't been a official statement from amazon, but rumor is that there will be a boot loader is in all of the new fires. So yes, if this is true, then the kindle will go into a soft brick that can be unbricked by other means, but t will not boot if the bootliader is not correct.
I hope is isn't the case tho, I preordered the fire HD 8.9inch and wouldn't want to brick it by attempting to put a custom boot loader on my self):

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
I would seriously consider the consequences of buying one if you have any plans of modifying it. If Amazon's history with our current devices is any indication of what's to come, a lot of people may very well get screwed out of the deal. And if Pokey is correct, and the new KFs have the same OMAP security as the Nook tablet, you might as well give up on it because the new KFs won't have an external SD slot to boot from. You'll get stuck with one crappy, advertisement riddled, non-customizable, crippled, overpriced reader, that's as buggy (if not more) than the original.

I definitely wouldn't buy one in the hopes that it will get modified unless you have the technical know-how to get it done yourself.

That is, IMNSHO of course.

Reactions: pre4speed

KingObiWan

Sep 9, 2012
Melbourne, FL
amazon is trying to copy apple. Of course they would do that :p

it sounds like the boot loader would have to be rewritten some how, and that in its self seems unlikely

asrr62

Mar 11, 2011
Austin
kindle fire hd or nexus 7?

if amazon does this they are just trashing their product. i am very tempted to return my nexus 7 which has such bad build quality.

chrisbd1

Jul 13, 2012
if amazon does this they are just trashing their product. i am very tempted to return my nexus 7 which has such bad build quality.

My Nexus build quality is great.
On topic I was mildly interested in Fire HD just for Prime content and wanting to see if a ROM was developed. No ROM, no way. Will be following the subject.

Willieumm

Oct 4, 2010
My build quality is great... not a single problem.

I wish people would stop expecting every product they buy to be 100% perfect.

And even more so when they're buying a product for around $200 when all the comparable competitor's products are selling for $400+.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010

If it isn't 100% perfect, then I wouldn't call it great quality myself.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

And even more so when they're buying a product for around $200 when all the comparable competitor's products are selling for $400+.

The $200 excuse kinda came to an end when Amazon announced the Fire HD at $200. For Android enthusiasts and XDA readers it's probably not going to be that big a deal, but I believe the Kindle Fire HD will be very popular to the general public.

And it does trump a few of the Nexus 7's weak points.

Better screen with more vibrant colors.
Better wifi with 5GHz and MIMO support.
Better storage capacity at the same prices.
Better speakers.
And HDMI output.

The Nexus 7 has performance and apps on it's side, which are obviously extremely important to many of us.

I'll not replace my Nexus 7, but if the Kindle Fire HD can be rooted and Google Play installed, I just might get one.

PS... And B&N isn't done yet. They supposedly have something coming soon too. Microsoft invested $200 million with them, perhaps some kind of $200 Windows tablet? They promise a revolutionary screen and they've generally included micro SD slots so far too, hope that continues. I just hope they get away from that raised plastic bezel, so annoying with apps that use off screen swipes.

Last edited:

soupmagnet

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 7, 2012
Austin, TX
Google Pixel 6
My Nexus build quality is great.
On topic I was mildly interested in Fire HD just for Prime content and wanting to see if a ROM was developed. No ROM, no way. Will be following the subject.

If it isn't 100% perfect, then I wouldn't call it great quality myself.

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

The $200 excuse kinda came to an end when Amazon announced the Fire HD at $200. For Android enthusiasts and XDA readers it's probably not going to be that big a deal, but I believe the Kindle Fire HD will be very popular to the general public.

And it does trump a few of the Nexus 7's weak points.

Better screen with more vibrant colors.
Better wifi with 5GHz and MIMO support.
Better storage capacity at the same prices.
Better speakers.
And HDMI output.

The Nexus 7 has performance and apps on it's side, which are obviously extremely important to many of us.

I'll not replace my Nexus 7, but if the Kindle Fire HD can be rooted and Google Play installed, I just might get one.

Seriously? I think we're getting WAAAAY off topic here.

JaxDomino

May 8, 2010
Jacksonville
Bezos said he doesn't care if you root

I read on Engadget after the announcement that Engadget asked Bezos about people rooting and running custom ROM's. Bezos' response was that as long as your still buying from Amazon, he doen't care. So, I guess we'll see. Mine has already made it to the UPS Distro Center in my city and it got there a little after Noon today. I should have it in the morning!!!! As a Student Prime member, I would love it if we could get rid of the ads without paying the $15.

oaba09

Sep 2, 2012
The reason I bought the original fire is because i wanted to root it. The fact is, the stock kindle fire is crap if you're a power user.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

podspi

Jul 6, 2011
Chicago
yes,factory cable still work.
but i don't know flash what kind of bootloader,because when i flash u-boot of kindle fire 1 ,it can't boot normally

Probably doubtful, but does anyone have the bootloader, recovery, system images for the Fire HD 7" yet?

I don't need it, but wouldn't mind having it :D I do have a factory cable for my original Fire and multitude of Motorola phones...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

it seems a key in the KF HD& new KF, when you boot it ,the machine will check the key,if not match, it wont boot.

so i will wait for some guys to crack it when KF HD& NEW KF in the market in the future

it means we can't flash other rom
    I would seriously consider the consequences of buying one if you have any plans of modifying it. If Amazon's history with our current devices is any indication of what's to come, a lot of people may very well get screwed out of the deal. And if Pokey is correct, and the new KFs have the same OMAP security as the Nook tablet, you might as well give up on it because the new KFs won't have an external SD slot to boot from. You'll get stuck with one crappy, advertisement riddled, non-customizable, crippled, overpriced reader, that's as buggy (if not more) than the original.

I definitely wouldn't buy one in the hopes that it will get modified unless you have the technical know-how to get it done yourself.

That is, IMNSHO of course.
    Confirmed, Fire 2 and Fire HD 7" have signed bootloaders.