HTC One US Developers Edition- Software Updates

Search This thread

maddie01

Feb 5, 2009
New Orleans
Hi all,
I thought I would try and start a place for only the US Dev Edition unit where we could house the reponses and issues with updates, delays, etc...
I hope this makes sense and is useful. If not, then if one of the moderators could remove it, please....

I will start by offering the respone I just received from HTC regarding my question around why they could launch the Google Edition with 4.2.2. but still leave the US waiting for the update on the Developers Edition.

I thought buying a "clean" device, paying top dollar, direclty from HTC, with no Carrier involvment would mean timely updates?

I encourage others to post any information about this update or any future ones for this device!

Thank you for contacting the HTC Technical Support Center

We understand how you may be feeling regarding the update process to Jelly Bean 4.2 for the HTC One and we deeply apologize for the delay on this process. We sincerely work hard always on the updates for our customers, since we understand it is important for all of you to have the latest Android OS Versions.

We are always looking forward to develop updates that enhance your HTC experience. Due to the nature of the software development cycle, we may encounter the need to make some changes to ensure everything will work flawlessly, which is why we no longer engage to announce release dates.

We are currently running some tests to make sure the HTC One will function properly with 4.2, so we encourage you to check constantly on our website for further details about the release date. You can also follow us on Facebook or Twitter, where you can easily find the news of our products and also you can share all your concerns with our fans.

We sincerely expect your comprehension on this matter. Thanks for your continuous support of our products and services. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us through http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email/ or call us at +1-866-449-8358 from 8AM to 1AM, 7 days a week.

Best regards,

If this answers your comment or question, please click here to complete the process.

To submit another comment, please click here.

Sincerely,

The HTCDev Team

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTCDev fans?

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/htcdev

Explore our development resources www.htcdev.com

bobruels44

May 28, 2012
Calgary
Hi all,
I thought I would try and start a place for only the US Dev Edition unit where we could house the reponses and issues with updates, delays, etc...
I hope this makes sense and is useful. If not, then if one of the moderators could remove it, please....

I will start by offering the respone I just received from HTC regarding my question around why they could launch the Google Edition with 4.2.2. but still leave the US waiting for the update on the Developers Edition.

I thought buying a "clean" device, paying top dollar, direclty from HTC, with no Carrier involvment would mean timely updates?

I encourage others to post any information about this update or any future ones for this device!

Thank you for contacting the HTC Technical Support Center

We understand how you may be feeling regarding the update process to Jelly Bean 4.2 for the HTC One and we deeply apologize for the delay on this process. We sincerely work hard always on the updates for our customers, since we understand it is important for all of you to have the latest Android OS Versions.

We are always looking forward to develop updates that enhance your HTC experience. Due to the nature of the software development cycle, we may encounter the need to make some changes to ensure everything will work flawlessly, which is why we no longer engage to announce release dates.

We are currently running some tests to make sure the HTC One will function properly with 4.2, so we encourage you to check constantly on our website for further details about the release date. You can also follow us on Facebook or Twitter, where you can easily find the news of our products and also you can share all your concerns with our fans.

We sincerely expect your comprehension on this matter. Thanks for your continuous support of our products and services. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us through http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email/ or call us at +1-866-449-8358 from 8AM to 1AM, 7 days a week.

Best regards,

If this answers your comment or question, please click here to complete the process.

To submit another comment, please click here.

Sincerely,

The HTCDev Team

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTCDev fans?

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/htcdev

Explore our development resources www.htcdev.com

Ahhh... Nothing like a generic message saying that we're not telling you anything.

cc999

Aug 4, 2011
same situation

Ahhh... Nothing like a generic message saying that we're not telling you anything.

I am the in the exact same situation, spent 649 dollars on the HTC One 64 gb. Developer Edition. This
was supposed to be the phone to receive the updates first. I am still sitting here with 4.12 and checking
software updates 20 times a day. Very frustrating to say the least!

CC

Reactions: maddie01

maddie01

Feb 5, 2009
New Orleans
Slowwwwly rolling out but not yet to US

I am the in the exact same situation, spent 649 dollars on the HTC One 64 gb. Developer Edition. This
was supposed to be the phone to receive the updates first. I am still sitting here with 4.12 and checking

CC

I agree and I have seen the other posts so I know the Update is slowly being rolled out overseas to the International Versions, but the Google Edition That has 4.2.2 is for sale in the US, so they should have given it to the owners fo the Developers Edition in the US. I will post any additonal information/alerts about any updates in other countries as soon as i hear about it. Thanks for commenting !

cc999

Aug 4, 2011
sent email

I agree and I have seen the other posts so I know the Update is slowly being rolled out overseas to the International Versions, but the Google Edition That has 4.2.2 is for sale in the US, so they should have given it to the owners fo the Developers Edition in the US. I will post any additonal information/alerts about any updates in other countries as soon as i hear about it. Thanks for commenting !

Well I sent the email to the HTC Tech Support Center. Just received this back, look familiar? NOBODY EVEN READS THESE!

"Thank you for contacting the HTC Technical Support Center

We are always looking forward to develop updates that enhance your HTC experience. Due to the nature of the software development cycle, we may encounter the need to make some changes to ensure everything will work flawlessly, which is why we no longer engage to announce release dates. Charlie, we are currently running some tests to make sure the HTC One will function properly with 4.2, so we encourage you to check constantly on our website for further details about the release date. You can also follow us on Facebook or Twitter, where you can easily find the news of our products and also you can share all your concerns with our fans.

We sincerely expect your comprehension on this matter. Thanks for your continuous support of our products and services. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us through http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email/ or call us at +1-866-449-8358 from 8AM to 1AM, 7 days a week. "

CC

trashcan

Feb 4, 2007
San Jose
www.techsmarttips.com
This is just a copy and paste reply and replace the name with your name. 4.2.2 is pushed out for International ONE and they are working hard on your developer ONE to make sure you get the HTC worst experience of being a developer.

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

maddie01

Feb 5, 2009
New Orleans
Encourage everyone to send a message to; http://www.htcdev.com/

Well I sent the email to the HTC Tech Support Center. Just received this back, look familiar? NOBODY EVEN READS THESE!

"Thank you for contacting the HTC Technical Support Center

We are always looking forward to develop updates that enhance your HTC experience. Due to the nature of the software development cycle, we may encounter the need to make some changes to ensure everything will work flawlessly, which is why we no longer engage to announce release dates. Charlie, we are currently running some tests to make sure the HTC One will function properly with 4.2, so we encourage you to check constantly on our website for further details about the release date. You can also follow us on Facebook or Twitter, where you can easily find the news of our products and also you can share all your concerns with our fans.

We sincerely expect your comprehension on this matter. Thanks for your continuous support of our products and services. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us through http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email/ or call us at +1-866-449-8358 from 8AM to 1AM, 7 days a week. "

CC

Thanks!
One of the things I was hoping to accomplish was to get as many people as possible to send in thier message to; http://www.htcdev.com/...
so that HTC would see the number of frustrated customers. I know that every corporation tracks incoming messages by Subject matter and they review the topics on a regular basis. May not change anything now but there is power in numbers! HTC could use as much positive press as possible right now anyway!

expertzero1

Sep 28, 2011
So Cal, California
4.2.2 for the us versions will be here within the next few weeks. You will get the update before the carriers at least.

Im sure everyone knows the international for mostly all phones get it first before the united states.

nytrus112

Feb 19, 2013
Charlotte
To CC999: (Sorry I replied to the wrong post and got wrong quote)

You aren't alone. I share your sentiment. Could have easily gotten the El Cheapo from ATT but chose to pony up for the DE and now being treated like a guy with the ATT version *shrug*. It makes me feel like these companies like HTC aren't even in tune with the silly little things that potentially keep Android fans happy and loyal...like....timely updates to as recent an OS version as possible??!! About two weeks ago I rooted and flashed Viper One. And Fell in love with my phone all over again. But it's missing the lock screen widget, the instagram blinkfeed and the immediately sharable screenshots...which i actually really miss from my Nexus 4. Also, I desperately need my Zoes to stop saving 2000 still pics with each day out at the park. Sigh. What can ya do....

Last edited:

a2r3f

Apr 29, 2011
Anchorage
Thanks!
One of the things I was hoping to accomplish was to get as many people as possible to send in thier message to; http://www.htcdev.com/...
so that HTC would see the number of frustrated customers. I know that every corporation tracks incoming messages by Subject matter and they review the topics on a regular basis. May not change anything now but there is power in numbers! HTC could use as much positive press as possible right now anyway!

You should post this to reddit, I've sent in my email to HTC addressing my concerns with their update process as well, pretty sure I'll get the same bullsh*t message back from them.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

artiemon

May 25, 2004
Colorado
Google Pixel 7
I got a slightly different response:

Thank you for reaching the HTC Tech Support Team with your inquiry, I’m here to make sure all your questions and doubts are cleared.

I comprehend where you're coming from, as I been there before; I certainly know that now days is vital to be up to date when it comes to remain connected/communicated, basically because it is high priority to have a reliable device, nevertheless, as of now, all of the updates are only pushed when the stability of the devices is guaranteed, therefore, it has to be under constant analysis, trials & rewrites among others; only when it has reached nearest point of perfection, which is at our development team's discretion, it's when is send out or pushed to specific devices (such as your HTC One), once again I do acknowledge and understand your perspective on this matter, which is why we greatly appreciate the understanding and patience on this subject.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at http://www.htc.com/us/contact/email/, I’m here to make sure all your questions are addressed in the most efficient way, or if you prefer real time assistance you can reach our customer service line at +1-866-449-8358, 8 am to 1 am ET, 7 days a week.

Thank you for choosing HTC.

djan84

Aug 5, 2007
Ruston
If you think about it, HTC was pretty upfront about what they think of US developer editions; our cids start with BS, :) you should've known that htc would BS about the updates and that the developer edition being special.

maddie01

Feb 5, 2009
New Orleans
If you think about it, HTC was pretty upfront about what they think of US developer editions; our cids start with BS, :) you should've known that htc would BS about the updates and that the developer edition being special.

Haahaa, nice one so we have the Bull S!@+ version..I love it...good attitude to have. Hopefully news will start rolling in as it gets released across the US...can always go back to a Custom 4.2.2 until the Stock version is official..Thanks for the laugh.

maddie01

Feb 5, 2009
New Orleans
Thanks for e-mailing HTC and posting the differenet response....Well at least we know they are not total robots and they can respond in thier own words! Even though they continue to avoid the issue of the Google Edition haivng 4.2.2. as the Dev Edition and the Google Edition are not that different (except Sense and maybe an extra radio?)...still good to keep some pressure on them,

Reactions: teonagode

PikkonX

Oct 8, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
HTC doesn't care much about the pressure that comes from XDA, but get this on the front page of Reddit and the update will be out tomorrow lol.

iammorris

Feb 19, 2007

CC
I'm also frustrated about all of this, but you are making assumptions that are untrue.

Where did you ever hear HTC claim that "This was supposed to be the phone to receive the updates first"? I'm pretty sure the announced purpose of this phone is to be the untouched edition with the bootloader unlockable out of the box, with no possibility for carrier restrictions.

Nowhere did I ever read HTC claim that it would be the first to receive updates, and that's a silly assumption to make. It's a niche version of the phone - sure it's popular here on XDA, but it's a very small drop in the ocean - and I would expect the other versions to receive priority on updates.

At the end of the day, HTC is still a business and they're going to prioritise updates to the versions of the phone that have the largest user base.

htowngator

Mar 31, 2008
Will play around with Reddit tomorrow and see how to go about this. Thanks for the Post...

Good luck.

I honestly think its bullcrap that they won't release it stateside yet. We had ROMs with 4.2.2 firmware over a month ago and even when they updated WWE units to newer 4.1.2 versions the dev edition didn't get it for weeks.

I'm optimistic but I'd say probably somewhere closer to a week.

ajftl

Mar 30, 2010
I'm 100% sure that the dev edit would get the update after the standard htc one USA unlocked version. Watch!
I don't see any benefits of a dev edit htc one. It's not even s off
In the mean time I keep hitting check for update. I know we close.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Anyone able to upload a system dump of the Dev Edition 4.4.3 update?
    Thanks in advance for anyone willing and able to do so. :good:

Hi i upload to MEGA the:

TWRP Backup Stock 4.4.3 - 6.07.1540.1 odexed + Root + Busybox:
    Deleted

TWRP Backup Stock 4.4.3 - 6.07.1540.1 deodexed + Root + Busybox:
    Deleted
    Stock recovery 6.07.1540.1

actually wait

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

can you pull the partition an upload

EDIT: @alray, nevermind the red comment above (I was looking at something else and got myself confused :eek:), both dd and flash should work fine, but upload the stock recovery anyway when you get a chance

Here it is
    mega.co.nz:stock recovery for 6.07.1540.1 (mmcblk0p34.img)
    dropbox.com:stock recovery for 6.07.1540.1 (mmcblk0p34.img)
    MD5: a6ff24a348ddf5194e5d4f5586adb2fc

Tested it myself, it works fine. You can flash it directly using fastboot

Code:
    fastboot flash recovery mmcblk0p34-6.07.1540.1.img
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot reboot-bootloader

for reference, here is how the recovery was pulled:
    Code:
    [COLOR="Blue"]fastboot oem rebootRUU[/COLOR]
    (bootloader) Start Verify: 0
    OKAY [  0.041s]
    finished. total time: 0.042s
    [COLOR="blue"]fastboot flash zip hboot_1.44.zip[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]<--downgrading hboot to 1.44 so we can boot a custom recovery without flashing it[/COLOR]
    target reported max download size of 1514139648 bytes
    sending 'zip' (501 KB)...
    OKAY [  0.243s]
    writing 'zip'...
    (bootloader) zip header checking...
    (bootloader) zip info parsing...
    (bootloader) checking model ID...
    (bootloader) checking custom ID...
    (bootloader) start image[hboot] unzipping & flushing...
    (bootloader) [RUU]UZ,hboot,0
    (bootloader) [RUU]UZ,hboot,50
    (bootloader) [RUU]UZ,hboot,100
    (bootloader) [RUU]WP,hboot,0
    (bootloader) [RUU]WP,hboot,99
    (bootloader) [RUU]WP,hboot,100
    (bootloader) ...... Successful
    OKAY [  2.230s]
    finished. total time: 2.475s

[COLOR="blue"]fastboot reboot-bootloader[/COLOR]
    rebooting into bootloader...
    OKAY [  0.037s]
    finished. total time: 0.037s
    [COLOR="blue"]fastboot boot twrp-2.7.1.2-m7.img[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]<-- booting custom recovery without flashing it (hboot 1.44 only)[/COLOR]
    downloading 'boot.img'...
    OKAY [  1.173s]
    booting...
    OKAY [  0.002s]
    finished. total time: 1.177s

[B][COLOR="blue"]from twrp adb shell:[/COLOR][/B]
    [CODE][COLOR="blue"]dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p34 of=/tmp/mmcblk0p34.img[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]->making an image of the recovery partition mmcblk0p34 using adb shell from custom recovery[/COLOR]

adb pull /tmp/mmcblk0p34.img C:\Backup <--- pulling the recovery image previously created to the computer
    3414 KB/s (16776704 bytes in 4.798s)
    adb reboot bootloader
    [/CODE]

@Seyaru do you have the stock hboot of 6.07.1540.1? If so can you upload it please?

@M_Shaaban
    @7ftnick
    I think you both were looking for that recovery
    5.11.1540.9 Signed Firmware.zip extracted from the OTA.zip:
    link (mega.co.nz)
    MD5: ef0cc76134c170e4230804ca1c9edf02
    thanks to @rc420head for testing this firmware.zip on his phone. See results at post #1045

5.11.1540.9 TWRP Nandroid Backup:
    link #1 (mega.co.nz)
    link #2 (androidfilehost.com)
    link #3 (dev-host)
    MD5: e565b0ebba873222dabbfc55376cb187
    ------>After you have restored the above nandroid backup, do a factory reset right away<------

You flash above files at your own risk, I'm not responsible if you brick your phone
    i.e flashing the firmware incorrectly like some pple did :rolleyes:

edit: AGAIN::
    Do not flash the firmware if you don't know what you are doing!
    I.e: flashing a 5.XX.XXX.X firmware over a 3.XX.XXX.X firmware WILL brick your phone ---> QHSUSB_DLOAD
    Whole OTA 4.19.1540.9 OTA Stand Alone Firmware if this ends up being only link to it and people kill my account bandwidth wont be any more stuff uploaded...lol...I pulled one down because someone used it without telling me...sooo download and upload elsewhere as well for more links...Thanks...