Thinking of going to custom roms, have some questions

Search This thread

JaymzBond

Aug 13, 2011
Ankara
I'm getting dissatisfied with my phone as time goes on. First it was just battery and everything else was still great, but now it's started to produce some weird hiccups and bugs.

Even though LG's software was the best stock software I've ever used, I'm thinking of going custom roms now. The problem is ; is it really worth the hassle and risk?

If you were using stock and went custom recently , I'm waiting for your experience reports. How's battery life? How does custom stuff work (like themes,mods,etc.) and are they stable? Is the phone stable in a general manner (missing alarms,resets,etc.)? These are the most critical points, hope you ll answer.

Thanks

leopardsavanah

Aug 18, 2013
I'm getting dissatisfied with my phone as time goes on. First it was just battery and everything else was still great, but now it's started to produce some weird hiccups and bugs.

Even though LG's software was the best stock software I've ever used, I'm thinking of going custom roms now. The problem is ; is it really worth the hassle and risk?

If you were using stock and went custom recently , I'm waiting for your experience reports. How's battery life? How does custom stuff work (like themes,mods,etc.) and are they stable? Is the phone stable in a general manner (missing alarms,resets,etc.)? These are the most critical points, hope you ll answer.

Thanks
The stock is best for battery life.And in my opinion it has best ui.I used cm and I had a lot of sods.If you dislike the stock ui it worth to move to custom if not the stock is best.

Sorry for my english.

Reactions: JaymzBond

yawako

May 16, 2013
I agree Ive risk my phone many times and losing precious data and time and all for nothing. Stick to stock and be happy. But if you have skills in coding help the guy who made GeeMod :)

Reactions: adwienc

JaymzBond

Aug 13, 2011
Ankara
Why does everyone say stock battery is the best? Shouldn't something "more aosp" last more than an edited rom?

LG-E975 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

grunch21

Feb 13, 2014
Why does everyone say stock battery is the best? Shouldn't something "more aosp" last more than an edited rom?

Maybe because they (LG) reduced the performance of the phone to get better battery life.
I'm currently using liquidsmooth gee + mirage kernel. The battery life is amazing. I could get 4h 44m screen on playing video, with 48% battery left. For comparison, here's stock battery test by gsmarena: blog.gsmarena.com/lg-optimus-g-battery-tests-are-done-here-are-the-results

uploadfromtaptalk1395064206992.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

danielgava

Nov 10, 2009
Campinas/SP
In matter of "stock customized" Rom the best I've ever used so far is artmod rc3. The developer put several apps from optimus g pro with have far better ui, like contacts/dialer, just to exemplify. The battery is better than pure stock and there are no lags.
You can also install xposed framework and the gravitybox module and you gonna have several options to change, like enable navbar, change battery icons, and so on.

Now, if you wanna change to KitKat, the better option in all matters (stability, battery, camera, customization) for me is Bam Rom (before called "JellyBam" ). I've tried several aosp/aokp 4.4 based Rom, and this is the only one that works 100%. Although the battery isn't like any stock based Rom, it have enough juice to get to the end of the day.

This is my home screen on artmod, using KitKat launcher and some other stuff:
7aseqy7y.jpg

Enviado de meu LG-E975 usando Tapatalk

Last edited:

neetsnp

Jun 10, 2012
Aarhus
Tried a few

Hi,

I had my phone over a year and have been quite satisfied with stock. Only sometimes after the last(and only) update from LB, if I lost LTE due to bad reception location the phone would need a reboot to get network again. Performance and battery life was acceptable.

I grew bored and went custom. Was way easier that on my old Desire and Acer tablet. Didn't even hook up to PC at any point.

I tried CM11 / Carbon / Omnirom / Mahdi before going to MIUI v5.

CM11/Carbon/Mahdi : slightly lower performance than stock
Omni/MIUI : slightly better performance.

CM11/Carbon/Mahdi : needed to toggle 3G/LTE occasionally to remain on LTE
Omni: Couldn't use LTE

MIUI: Needed to use secret service menu to set LTE as option is not in UI. After that stable LTE.

I know that MIUI:
- is "just" JB
- you have to live with some chineese chars in most themes, and in theme "shop" / cannot buy themes

Other than that I love the simple "iPhonish look" that some will hate, and the ability to use themes that completely changes the apperance. Std. apps a little prettier.

MIUI is the only rom I have used long enough to evaluate battery life on, and I am happy. Performance good, cleanup/management functions great. Just two or three reboots in an month, same as stock.

May try Omni again someday if LTE suddenly works for me on that one. Also liked the looks of the std. apps on that one.

//Steen

Hardtron

Jul 16, 2012
Curitiba
In matter of "stock customized" Rom the best I've ever used so far is artmod rc3. The developer put several apps from optimus g pro with have far better ui, like contacts/dialer, just to exemplify. The battery is better than pure stock and there are no lags.
You can also install xposed framework and the gravitybox module and you gonna have several options to change, like enable navbar, change battery icons, and so on.

Now, if you wanna change to KitKat, the better option in all matters (stability, battery, camera, customization) for me is Bam Rom (before called "JellyBam" ). I've tried several aosp/aokp 4.4 based Rom, and this is the only one that works 100%. Although the battery isn't like any stock based Rom, it have enough juice to get to the end of the day.

This is my home screen on artmod, using KitKat launcher and some other stuff:
7aseqy7y.jpg

Enviado de meu LG-E975 usando Tapatalk

where can I find artmod rc3?

alluebin

Jan 6, 2014
lohja
Can any of you use the navbar/softkeys on artmod? Just systemui crashes for me when i enable navbar :( and does mirage kernel work with artmod or do i have to use ruby? Im looking for a better battery life.

Sent from my LG-E975

procut

Apr 20, 2009
After 2 years of custom rom I am now with stock rom, just some mods. and framework exposed, my phone it's perfect in every side, I think a custom rom before is perfect need really a lot of job, need to update every week for every bug e sure not all applications working good, never, for my experience, lg stock rom is the best after customized.

Sent from my LG-E975 using XDA Premium HD app

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Some time need to format again the phone, after a lot applications installed and reinstalled is normal start to be wrong but not because the stock is fake.

Sent from my LG-E975 using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: akahroba

prog19

Apr 29, 2012
I'm thinking in going custon in my GF e975. Its already rooted but i'm afraid od doing some mistake with bootloader. In free gee its better to unlock the regular way or using the mako bootloader mode ? Ive read that some version of free gee was bricking devices. And also, free gee will erase all user data? (Because when unlocking N4 the data always get lost). Thanks in advance

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium HD app

alpinotheoriginal

Apr 19, 2011
rom and mirage kernel

Maybe because they (LG) reduced the performance of the phone to get better battery life.
I'm currently using liquidsmooth gee + mirage kernel. The battery life is amazing. I could get 4h 44m screen on playing video, with 48% battery left. For comparison, here's stock battery test by gsmarena: blog.gsmarena.com/lg-optimus-g-battery-tests-are-done-here-are-the-results

View attachment 2635237

Which Mirage Kernel ? Modded or original ? and what version of Liquid Smooth Rom ?

Ahmed Xperia p

Nov 25, 2012
Islamabad
Ive used many AOSP based roms and MIUI on my G . Currently using Artmod with dark UI and latest custom settings by @dellvenues and i think so far its the best rom i have used. Very smooth and fast .Its based on stock with many tweaks , battery performance is just amazing , much better than any CM or AOSP based rom . I love the stock LG UI . Planning to stick to this until official KK rolls out .;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks
    The stock is best for battery life.And in my opinion it has best ui.I used cm and I had a lot of sods.If you dislike the stock ui it worth to move to custom if not the stock is best.

Sorry for my english.
    I agree Ive risk my phone many times and losing precious data and time and all for nothing. Stick to stock and be happy. But if you have skills in coding help the guy who made GeeMod :)
    I love the latest CM11 mods, I'm currently using this one:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2647660

Very stable, never misses alarms. Battery life is fair, lasts a full day with regular use. Make sure your freegee app makes a backup of your EFS partitions if you decide to try this out, as long as you have those, you're fairly safe.

uploadfromtaptalk1395064206992.jpg