I can haz bootloaders?

Search This thread

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
Ok guys, just need to have your input on the following:

You already know there is HBOOT available with volume down+power.

On my phone, there are two additional modes available: one with volume up+power (red led, three vibrations), another with volume up+volume down+power (green led, five vibrations). I suspect these two modes are used for unbricking. They are also present on my HTC Wildfire.

It would be very cool if other Desire S owners here could try these two combinations and post here your results. Also! very important, please mention if your phone is:

• S-ON
  • S-OFF because it's en engineering phone, lucky you ;)
  • S-OFF through XTC Clip (aka radio S-OFF)
  • S-OFF through AlphaRevx/Revolutionary (aka HBOOT S-OFF, flag in radio is untouched)

You can also report your HBOOT version but it shouldn't affect which bootloaders are available.

Last edited:

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai

On my phone, there are two additional modes available: one with volume up+power (red led, three vibrations), another with volume up+volume down+power (green led, five vibrations). I suspect these two modes are used for unbricking. They are also present on my HTC Wildfire.

It would be very cool if other Desire S owners here could try these two combinations and post here your results. Also! very important, please mention if your phone is:

• S-ON
  • S-OFF through AlphaRevx/Revolutionary (aka HBOOT S-OFF, flag in radio is untouched)

You can also report your HBOOT version but it shouldn't affect which bootloaders are available.

s-off alpharevx
vol up+power does not work
vol up+vol down+power does not work
vol down+power works

& s-off using alpharevx allows you to change radio so i think the radio flag is also changed

Reactions: xd.bx

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
s-off alpharevx
vol down+power works

& s-off using alpharevx allows you to change radio so i think the radio flag is also changed

Thanks very much. It's possible I have access to these two bootloaders because the phone was not originally carrier-locked.

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
Thanks very much. It's possible I have access to these two bootloaders because the phone was not originally carrier-locked.

my device was also not carrier locked when i bought it,i bought it for the full price
but i got the device shortly after it was released so this feature could have been added later

ben_pyett

Oct 28, 2006
London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
I'm S-OFF by XTC Clip with the ENG Boot (see SIG for versions), not carrier locked device.

volume up+power (red led, three vibrations) = does exacltly this, but, then get blank dark screen and appear to not be able to progress further, with any combination of button pushing, including vol up+vol down+power (so had to pull battery :mad:)

volume up+volume down+power (green led, five vibrations) = does exacltly this, but, again then gives a blank black screen and appear to not be able to progress further, again was forced to pull battery to escape.

Hope that this helps.

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
Thanks a lot ben and kartkk. In both bootloaders, it is normal that you get a black screen as they only communicate with USB - see tjworld. Kartkk, do you have the black or grey desire s model?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
Thanks a lot ben and kartkk. In both bootloaders, it is normal that you get a black screen as they only communicate with USB - see tjworld. Kartkk, do you have the black or grey desire s model?

Sent from my Nexus S using XDA Premium App

i have the black version,but i dont think that matters

for me vol down+vol up+power & vol up+power does nothing,the device starts just the way it starts when i am only holding the power button

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
i have the black version,but i dont think that matters

for me vol down+vol up+power & vol up+power does nothing,the device starts just the way it starts when i am only holding the power button

Thanks. Are you sure you pressed the power button very fast? Do not keep the button pressed (contrary to volume up/down which must be kept pressed).

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
yes,i tried it that way too but it didn't work

Ok, this is very interesting, as if HTC used a different, locked bootloader here. Could you do one last thing for me (root needed):

do a "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p1" and "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p3" then upload the files somewhere. Don't worry, it just reads the bootloaders, there's no risk of modifying anything.

I recommend you do it from adb shell in your android system (not CWM) as the partitions will be read-only anyway and there'll be an even lesser risk of something going wrong.

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
Ok, this is very interesting, as if HTC used a different, locked bootloader here. Could you do one last thing for me (root needed):

do a "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p1" and "dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p3 of=/mnt/sdcard/mmcblk0p3" then upload the files somewhere. Don't worry, it just reads the bootloaders, there's no risk of modifying anything.

I recommend you do it from adb shell in your android system (not CWM) as the partitions will be read-only anyway and there'll be an even lesser risk of something going wrong.

this could be so because i used alpharevX to s-off my device & alpharevX replaces the Hboot & bootloader with a new one

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
this could be so because i used alpharevX to s-off my device & alpharevX replaces the Hboot & bootloader with a new one

Actually, QCSBL and OEMSBL (the two partitions mentionned before) are executed before HBOOT, on the radio itself (not on the apps processor like HBOOT). Hence the possibilty of unbricking through QCSBL even if HBOOT is corrupt. Could you upload the two partitions? (mmcblk0p1 and mmcblk0p3), it would be much appreciated.

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
i am a noob at using adb,so im not sure if im doing it right
im getting the message " cannot open for write:read-only file system"

xd.bx

May 14, 2011
i am a noob at using adb,so im not sure if im doing it right
im getting the message " cannot open for write:read-only file system"

right. first be sure you are root in your shell (you see a # instead of $). if not root, start the command "su"

then, make sure the SD card is currently not mounted on your PC, if you run the "df" command it should appear in the output as mounted on /mnt/sdcard/ (or maybe /sdcard/)

kartikk

Mar 12, 2011
Chennai
got it to work :D
i got the two files & i ziped them
see if these are the right ones

edit:mad:xdbg im using prerooted custom roms, i have root
i restarted my device & it worked

Attachments

• Archive.rar
    447.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

• S-ON

s-off alpharevx
    vol down+power works

I'm S-OFF by XTC Clip with the ENG Boot (see SIG for versions), not carrier locked device.

volume up+power (red led, three vibrations) = does exacltly this, but, then get blank dark screen and appear to not be able to progress further, with any combination of button pushing, including vol up+vol down+power (so had to pull battery :mad:)

volume up+volume down+power (green led, five vibrations) = does exacltly this, but, again then gives a blank black screen and appear to not be able to progress further, again was forced to pull battery to escape.

Hope that this helps.
    got it to work :D
    i got the two files & i ziped them
    see if these are the right ones

edit:mad:xdbg im using prerooted custom roms, i have root
    i restarted my device & it worked