Battery Life After 8.1 Update

Search This thread

stanko82

Feb 28, 2011
Banja Luka
I am starting this thread to see how you fell about new OS and do you have significant battery life change after 8.1 update.
Mine experience is not so good, at least to say, noticable battery drain...on slight use I manage to hold about 15h on NL 920, with battery saver and disabling backgroud apps as it was on WP 8.
Tell us your experience!

Reactions: captor8

miodrage

Apr 24, 2009
Subotica
My battery life is also gone for the worse. With very moderate usage it barely keeps 16-17hrs, anything else is killing the battery dead.

dxdy

Apr 17, 2008
www.red-gsm.net
Nokia Lumia 920
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
my battery also worse but i make hard reset and do new settings manually (not restored from backup) and battery is much better

Attachments

• WP_20140417.png
    WP_20140417.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 1,035

CBDSonline

Jul 3, 2005
Battery life sucks on 8.1

I used to only charge every 2 (two) days and even managed to get 3 full days now and again depending upon work, but now it needs charging every night before bed :(. I charged it last night and went to bed and woke up today and 75% charge remaining, so it used 25% power doing nothing but hiding in my pocket. It used to only use 1% or 2 % charge overnight but not now.

Other thing i noticed is background tasks config page is missing and now the calander once open stays as a runnning task in task switcher.

I know after a firmware update the battery needs a few charge cycles to sort itself out but i am about to start the 4th cycle now and its still seems to be sh1t

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Just found background tasks again. yeehaaa

open battery saver app
swipe to usage tab and tap on the desired app to see its background settings

Yeehaa time ti kill some apps again and save some juice :)

Last edited:

dxdy

Apr 17, 2008
www.red-gsm.net
Nokia Lumia 920
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S
guys, you must make hard reset and you must set all settings from fresh, not use old backup settings and dont forget block unnecessary apps in background... after this battery work much longer. this worked for me...

Last edited:

Etaduck

Sep 11, 2010
Dallas, TX
guys, you must make hard reset and you must set all settings from fresh, not use old backup settings and dont forget block unnecessary apps in background... after this battery work much longer. this worked for me...

But.... but.... I just flashed the ROM two weeks ago, I don't want to have to reload everything AGAIN!!!. That said, with most of the settings synced, I'm willing to give it a go. Will report back tomorrow.

CBDSonline

Jul 3, 2005
After a few tweaks in the background settings and an empty to full recharge everything is now back to normal. Yeehaa 2 days between charges and 1%-2% drain overnight. :) SWEET :) so no need to hard reset unless you have major problems. just sort the background apps and see how it goes ;)

colinp

Oct 14, 2007
www.motor-sport-books.co.uk
Im having a nightmare after 8.1 battery drain is the least of my worries..

my phone becomes unresponsive and only a hard reset brings it back to life .

I also get the screen crash and it looks like a old tv not tuned in :(

but it is an early release so hopefully ms will look and fix he problems because the update is worth it

hutchinsane_

Sep 16, 2013
Hey, I have the same problem. But not only the battery draining, the phone heats up. And I mean REALLY heats up. I gets hotter than my Laptop. Yesterday, while videocalling on skype over WIFI, the camera went dark, and 10 seconds later the picture was green. I don't mean just a completely green picture, It still showed me, but I was green. I then ended skype, opened the camera app and it was just awfully bright. With the flash off, the lights in my room out I could still see everything through the camera, but it was corny as hell. I then had to reboot the phone and everything worked again, but still. It's quite concerning, specially considering the heat.

MarianG

Jun 11, 2009
Cologne
After a few tweaks in the background settings and an empty to full recharge everything is now back to normal. Yeehaa 2 days between charges and 1%-2% drain overnight. :) SWEET :) so no need to hard reset unless you have major problems. just sort the background apps and see how it goes ;)

Hi there,
can you tell me please were is the option to set up background apps?
In Lumia Black and older versions the "background tasks" was in applications menu.
In 8.1 preview I can't find it.
Thanks!

hutchinsane_

Sep 16, 2013
did you make hard reset and set phone setting without using old backup settings?

phone work much better if you setup all from fresh beginning... seems old WP8.0 settings sometimes mess up things...

Well, I did reset it a few times. The first time I got it it had 8 on it, upgraded to 8.1. Then reflashed it, upgraded and used the backup. You really think it could help? If so, I may try it later today.

The skype thing frightened me the most to be honest.

Juno-First

Apr 21, 2010
Stoke on Trent
I never used the 920 before the 8.1 update as I bought it on the 8.1 release day so can't compare the battery life before & after.
So far ive found the biggest hog on battery was the intermittent glance screen though proximity glance is ok but the biggest culprit was having 3 email accounts set to push receive emails. After changing to sync 2 email accounts manually & the other every hour I noticed a big improvement in battery life & its now similar to my previous Galaxy Nexus.

topvision

May 23, 2014
Worse battery life

My battery life was terrible, but after the last update it is much better and with 3-5 minutes of calls a day and HSDPA internet enabled it can last for 24 hours.

Iron Doktor

Apr 17, 2010
My battery life has increased significantly. With 8.0, the battery life was frankly pathetic. I couldn't even get a day out of the phone, and that's with only having 3 mail accounts and Facebook active (NFC & BT off), and only moderate use. It was bad enough that I couldn't use it as my daily phone.

After 8.1, it's a dramatic change, it easily lasts me a whole day - used it moderately today, and now 15 hours since taking it off the charger, there is still 45% battery left. I love 8.1 :)

amahfouz

Feb 21, 2009
For me battery life has become alot worse after 8.1. And there's nothing I can turn off in battery saver

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I am starting this thread to see how you fell about new OS and do you have significant battery life change after 8.1 update.
    Mine experience is not so good, at least to say, noticable battery drain...on slight use I manage to hold about 15h on NL 920, with battery saver and disabling backgroud apps as it was on WP 8.
    Tell us your experience!
    Find in App list Battery Saver :victory: