G2 Shut off by itself this morning and won't turn on.

Search This thread

PPjev

Nov 25, 2010
München
hello, no solution here, just to confirm the same issue, htc desire z, up to date, no root, no special software. after three weeks of working, it started to turn it self off. to turn it on i have to reinsert my battery. problem is that i will be in Stockholm for about 4 mounts, and i bought it in another country. I think there is no worldwide warranty for HTC, is that correct ?

Milady_Odessa

Nov 9, 2010
Happened to me this morning

So this happened to my Bell Desire Z this morning. It was just happily sitting on my desk and for no reason shut itself off. Could only turn it back on by removing the battery. This the second time it's happened, last time was about a month ago and I thought that maybe it was because it was so damn cold out here in Canada. ;)

Anyway I will be calling Bell to see what they can do about it. I hope the warranty covers it. Will post back when I get an answer.

Edit: Forgot to mention it's not rooted.

carquote

Jan 20, 2011
Last edited:

Doughnut

Jan 13, 2008
A possible cause/fix has been found as posted on the T-mobile forums:

http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/T-Mobile-G2/G2-Turning-off-by-itself/td-p/513575/page/4

There is a conductive metal strip along the back of the battery that looks like it may be shorting out. Check out the link for detailed fix with pics. I take no credit for this, just posting it since I'm experiencing this problem too.

I can rule that out as mine is not exposed and behaved the same way when I got it.

Perhaps its just a co-incident, but when I uninstalled my AP ON/OFF button, it stopped randomly turning off...

It hasnt crashed since...I use the settings to turn on/off AP...

Sadly I think its just one of those issues that will go unexplained with no fix :(

coykiam

Aug 31, 2009
This has been happening to my phone too, Tmobile G2. I have the same sealed battery with no expose metal conductor. I think it has something to do a software installed, I just cant narrow it down. Either that or the phone is just a lemon.

poodlesmasher

Mar 12, 2010
Bombay
Possible solution???

HI i was plagued with this problem since two weeks ever since i bought this phone... yes the phone would shutdown on idle sometimes. i dont know if anyone has tried this solution yet..

but after Uninstalling AdvanceTask Killer and Unchecking the Fast Boot option my phone seems stable. The uptime shows 48 hours, which is the best ive got without the phone shutting on me yet... so 48 hours and counting.

Will keep you guys updated.

To uncheck Fastboot option - go to Settings > Applications > ...

I am on Froyo, no custom roms yet, if that helps anyone.

Goodluck!
Cheers.

poodlesmasher

Mar 12, 2010
Bombay
well that didnt workout either..

did last around 30 hours which is the longest till date.. but didnt workout.. ill try a factory reset an see.. also i taped around my battery.. still shuts down randomly.

poodlesmasher

Mar 12, 2010
Bombay
Possible workaround!!!!

Alright so after reading a lotta forums i decided to test the following:

After a fresh power cycle i.e removing the battery and powering the phone. i did NOT use GPS and WIFI at all and voila - no shutdowns yetttt...:)

Uptime is 78 hours:29 mins and counting :D which is swweeeeeet! longest till now.

So it IS either of the two which is causing this grave problem. I really dont need googlemaps and have a data plan on my phone so dont need wifi either.

i guess i am good. Hope this helps.

Peace.

wngmv

Sep 9, 2009
My phone was behaving normally until I sometime after a certain CM7 release and after it started to lose gps locks. Since this always happened with gps on and NOT during when I was using gps related apps. (It never DOS'ed during use of Navigation or CardioTraining or My Tracks, but after I quit the apps).

I wiped the mmcblk partion (on 7.1.0 RC1, where I could get a gps lock without doing anything)and viola, no more problem since that.

Jjp0423

Jul 13, 2011
Phone used to randomly turn off, now its all the time!

I got my phone about 5 months ago and was really excited about it for a long time, up until about a month ago when it just randomly shut off. I was able to press the power button and it came back on. About a week ago, it would shut off randomly still but then I had to take the battery out completely, let it set for a moment and then put it back together and it would work, no problem for a a few hours. Last night, it started turning off and not coming back on at all. I had to plug it in to the charger for it to think about coming back on. It rebooted several times but finally came back to life. This morning I unplug it and it shuts off almost immediately! Fully charged mind you! The only way I can keep my phone on now is if it is plugged in to a power source. Very annoyed! So I called Tmobile and told them my problem; they are sending out a new battery. Hopefully that will fix the problem bc I am quite annoyed at this point. Seeing as how I have been with Tmobile for over 7 years now and have bought numerous phones, I would think they would fix this without any problems. Not sure what to do if the battery switch doesn't work. I hear people trading for the same phone and it still doesn't work. We shall see!

androidfeen809

Oct 12, 2010
New York
Lmfaooo, this is too funny but not funny when it happens to any of us, how the hell does a phone just shuts off?? Its unexcusable this **** happen to me i tried pulling the battery and didn't work until the phone decide to tun on by itself half an hou later smh, I got a replacement and hasn't happened yet.

T-Mobile G2 1.42 GHZ