How can I return to stock OS?

Search This thread

Ramis

Jan 31, 2011
Auckland
Hey Guys,

I've been using Eureka rom for a while now and I realised that I don't actually need any features from it anymore now that Netflix is available in my region.

I looked around and I couldn't find any guides on how to restore my Chromecast to stock so I was wondering if anyone knows how it can be done?

Any help?

LunaticFringe72

Jan 16, 2013
Hey Guys,

I've been using Eureka rom for a while now and I realised that I don't actually need any features from it anymore now that Netflix is available in my region.

I looked around and I couldn't find any guides on how to restore my Chromecast to stock so I was wondering if anyone knows how it can be done?

Any help?

I'd really like to know this also.

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010

You may want to consider using the Stock OS with updates disabled version, as that version does preserve the bootloader vulnerability, so you can still use FlashCast to flash a new ROM later. In fact, you will have to since Google OTA updates (which would patch the bootloader vulnerability) are disabled and there are no automatic ROM updates like with Eureka-ROM.

If you still want to return to true stock, consider trading with someone who wants a rooted device. Rootable devices are more and more difficult to find nowadays, so you could help out someone who really does want/need a rooted Chromecast.

Otherwise, PM one of the Team Eureka members and they can provide you a true stock ROM to flash. The reason why the ROM is not publicly available is because it is a one-way trip - once you return to stock, you cannot get root back as the HubCap vulnerability will be patched. It's far too likely that someone will accidentally (and permanently) unroot their Chromecast and be upset.

Ramis

Jan 31, 2011
Auckland
You may want to consider using the Stock OS with updates disabled version, as that version does preserve the bootloader vulnerability, so you can still use FlashCast to flash a new ROM later. In fact, you will have to since Google OTA updates (which would patch the bootloader vulnerability) are disabled and there are no automatic ROM updates like with Eureka-ROM.

If you still want to return to true stock, consider trading with someone who wants a rooted device. Rootable devices are more and more difficult to find nowadays, so you could help out someone who really does want/need a rooted Chromecast.

Otherwise, PM one of the Team Eureka members and they can provide you a true stock ROM to flash. The reason why the ROM is not publicly available is because it is a one-way trip - once you return to stock, you cannot get root back as the HubCap vulnerability will be patched. It's far too likely that someone will accidentally (and permanently) unroot their Chromecast and be upset.

Awesome thanks for the help.

I'll try selling it on ebay or something first, otherwise I'll ask someone from Team Eureka for a fully stock rom.
:)

(p.s. if anyone wants a rooted chromecast let me know. )

mathorv

Jun 5, 2011
Last edited:

woody1

May 2, 2010
Atlanta
I'd like the link too, please. I'd rather stay with Eureka, but if it continues to fall behind the stick features, I will need to every someday.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got you lads covered.

Here is the "back to stock" zip image. Note: This is a one-way road which will PERMANENTLY remove root forever with no way back. But it seems these days that having root on the Chromecast is more hassle and trouble than just rolling stock anyway:

http://www27.zippyshare.com/v/6d9333oy/file.html (if multiple download buttons appear, you want the big orange one toward the top right)

All you need to do to get back is follow the same procedure you used to gain root (meaning you will need your powered OTG cable again). Use this short and clear video guide to walk you through it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6c34jqFHxY

Download the files he links in the description of that guide and follow the full procedure with one exception: When you get to 3:20 in the video, rather than use the zip file he provides, use mine linked above instead (it's perfectly safe and was sent to me a while back by ddggttff3 himself). Make sure you rename my linked zip exactly to eureka_image.zip just like in the video. Repeat the FULL procedure for any additional chromecasts you want to unroot.

Once you get through the setup and fully booted up you will be on a really old version of the chromecast software. Depending on your internet speed, just leave it on and after a while Google will update it behind the scenes automatically. Then, once you reboot it again, you should be on the working latest chromecast software version without the root shenanigans.

Good luck!

PS - If your chromecast is taking forever to pull an update and isn't able to cast because of it, you can typically force an update by doing the following:

1) Download and install Git for Windows: https://git-scm.com/download/win
    2) Open Git Bash
    3) Paste the following text in a notepad or document: curl -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"params": "ota foreground"}' http://192.168.1.100:8008/setup/reboot -v
    4) Replace the numbers after http:// with the EXACT IP address of your chromecast (which can be found if you open the Google Home app on your phone and selecting your chromecast and going into settings, then look at the very bottom). Leave the :8008 at the end after the IP address. Highlight all this text and copy it
    5) Go back to Git Bash you opened earlier and right click then hit paste, then hit enter
    6) You should see a bunch of quick text in Git Bash then your chromecast screen should begin the update animation
    7) Let it sit for a few minutes and see if it starts and if it does then let it finish. If it gets stuck at 0% then either reboot the chromecast by pulling the plug, or by rebooting via the Google Home app and that should kick off the update once it starts to boot back up
    Chromecast root is becoming increasingly useless, if you want I can PM you link to stock-revert_eureka_image.zip
    I'd also like a copy of the stock image.
    Also, how does one use stock-revert_eureka_image.zip to go back to pure stock?
    Thanks!
    Can you PM me the link too?
    I'd like the link too, please. I'd rather stay with Eureka, but if it continues to fall behind the stick features, I will need to every someday.
    I would like to have the revert image as well. Can you send me a PM?
    @mathorv - I am also interested in a link please.
    Sent PMs to all of you.
    Sent to all of you as requested.
    I also need the stock zip
    PM me plz

Thanks!

please send me link to stock-revert_eureka_image.zip

Many thanks!

I'd appreciate the file and any details on how to revert. Thanks!

Here is the revert image. http://pdl.team-eureka.com/other/stock-revert/eureka_image.zip
    File name: eureka_image.zip
    Checksums:
    CRC-32: b0ae227a
    MD5: 1414ba17811b797e820236678fa1d533
    SHA-1: 59248539ebd4bd9f463d6eb61b5aa56fb0140e65
    SHA-256: f30940ed559c3a5e78d2f4048d826964a8208e4d51d17bf921 e7dad70eb766

Click Thanks if you found this information to be useful.