Tough-as-nuts case

Search This thread

Madhadder

Jun 10, 2007
Munich
To all those looking to get a Nut Shell case..
Apparently Net-Shell are very backlogged on orders and are still
trying to get Decembers orders out the door. So your order may take a long time to arrive.

Madhadder

Jun 10, 2007
Munich
OK, I contacted NS on 4 Jan when my Order was sched. to be shipped, only to be told that there were delays, and it would take 1-2 weeks longer. .No prob.

I have since sent email to 2 contacts at NS. One person always
send the email to the other saying only they can provide a status. Person #2 never responds to email.

Here it is Feb 08th and i still don't have my NS Case or any idea when/if it will ship.

Anybody else having problems with NS?

Paultnl

Apr 24, 2003
It's worth it

Sorry you guys are having to wait, I suppose it is the price of having a good product. I have had my case since November and can say it is worth the wait.

miterb

Jul 31, 2007
Xenia
Finally received mine and it is just what I wanted!

I had asked for a specially sized revision to the HTC 7500/7501 case and it did get caught up in the company's production problems but it finally arrived last Thursday. The revision was so that I could leave on the HTC case as I wanted the additional protection when I was using the PDA. I had slipper type cases for my previous 3 PDA's and did not feel comfortable using the 7501 without the HTC case on it. Should I choose to, the 'naked' 7501 would fit in the case OK and as I have the optional tab over the opening, it is quite secure.

1. The wait was well worth it.
2. I contacted Nutshell and they assured me that they are now back in regular production mode.
3. If you wished to have the same oversized case, the company will produce it for you for a slight upcharge. Now that they know how to make it and that it works, they might not charge as much extra as I paid ($20).
4. I can't think of any case I have seen that will ride as well on your belt and the optional shoulder strap will come in handy for the casual summer slacks that do not have a rigid belt.

Brad Miter

nutshell

Mar 13, 2006
auckland
Nutshell #271 case available now

Thanks for the positive comments about our products, and our apologies for the delays in getting this product developed and available. We have sorted out our production difficulties and are now back on track.

The larger case for the Athena/Advantage, which will accomodate the book cover option, is available here.

We have it priced at $69.95 because of its size and we only offer it with the Security Tab. You can choose the steel belt clip or the leather belt loop. In addition we can add a pen loop and an elasticized front pocket to store stuff like expansion cards or ear buds.

If there is any interest in reselling this product, please drop me a line.

Thanks for all your support.

bagua

Feb 23, 2008
Tough as Nuts

I have an Advantage and I want the most protection possible in case it drops, or I bump into something.

How does the Tough as Nuts case protect the device? Is there metal inserted in the case, or is it the thickness of the case which is protective?

Interesting about the oversize case, as the HTC case is somewhat protective. Maybe I should consider the larger case.

Do most owners of the Advantage carry the keyboard in the case?

Thanks,

Bagua

miterb

Jul 31, 2007
Xenia
There is no metal insert in the nutshell case. I suggest you go to the website, http://tuff-as-nuts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=604, and review the details. There is now a picture of the Advantage in the HTC case and sitting in the Nutshell case which I took just the other day. I feel I have as much protection as I could reasonably want and expect. It rides nicely on my hip.

I just leave the keyboard on all the time and if I want to operate in portrait mode, I just fold the keyboard portion back 180 degrees and use it that way.

Brad

EAlvarado

Feb 9, 2008
Guatemala
N&T Case

Bagua.
I recently bought one from Tough and Nuts a black Cocodrile style, the oversize. Also I use a black metal case for extra protection, because I work in an industrial plant. My X7501 be perfect with its metal case inside the T&N case. Also the T&N case have a extra protection in the side that face the hip.

Attachments

• DSC01185.JPG
    DSC01185.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC01186.JPG
    DSC01186.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC01187.JPG
    DSC01187.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC01189.JPG
    DSC01189.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

c0mput0r

May 27, 2007
Just received my nutshell today and I have to say that it is absolutely the best case possible for this phone. My case is black leather with flap and belt loop.

weaselcossey

Feb 28, 2008
Memphis
Just received my nutshell today and I have to say that it is absolutely the best case possible for this phone. My case is black leather with flap and belt loop.

Of course its the best. It does cost $70 to be useful. I considered the belt loop, but i'm glad I chose the clip. I bet that clip will never wear out. I also chose the velcro strap to keep it in the case, but I think the flap would be better if you have it on your hip while its raining. Liquids are scary, that's the easiest way to murder your Athena. My wife once threw my Axim x51v at me. She was pregnant, and we'll just leave it at that. Anyway,it wasn't in its case, and survived being hurled about 15 feet and landing on hardwood flooring, but if you spill a beer near your device...... that's probably game over.

bob_beringer

May 27, 2006
Rhino Skin or Metal Case link?

All,

Does anyone know of a tough case? not just a leather case? It would be awesome to have a rhino skin type case to protect the athena, can't seem to find one.

Any recommendations would be appreciated...

v/r
Bob

miterb

Jul 31, 2007
Xenia
All,

Does anyone know of a tough case? not just a leather case? It would be awesome to have a rhino skin type case to protect the athena, can't seem to find one.

Any recommendations would be appreciated...

v/r
Bob

I suggest you back up to page 3 of this thread and read forward starting with message #24. The combination of the Tuff-as-nuts oversized case and the metal cover mentioned in message #28 is probably as close as you will come to a rhino-skin. You can get the metal case quite reasonable at http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300213683844. I ordered one and it arrived within 2 weeks from Hong Kong.
Brad

Last edited:

bob_beringer

May 27, 2006
Thanks for the link :) Both post #3 and #28 didn't properly reference the links and I am also looking for a bit of testimony about the usefulness of the metal case, other threads have stated that it is bad for signal and some have plastic hinges without a high level of quality. Beyond that I don't know if it offers a sufficient level of protection, can you comment? Aside from the two mentioned in this thread have you seen anything better / more protective that you might be able to recommend or offer in the way of advice?

miterb

Jul 31, 2007
Xenia
Thanks for the link :) Both post #3 and #28 didn't properly reference the links and I am also looking for a bit of testimony about the usefulness of the metal case, other threads have stated that it is bad for signal and some have plastic hinges without a high level of quality. Beyond that I don't know if it offers a sufficient level of protection, can you comment? Aside from the two mentioned in this thread have you seen anything better / more protective that you might be able to recommend or offer in the way of advice?

Although I now have one of the metal cases, I doubt that I will use it very much. The original case that comes with the Advantage provides quite a bit of 'drop' protection and when used with the oversized Tuff-as-Nuts pouch, is all the protection I need. I have not tried the radio with the metal case.

Brad

LocoHarami

Jul 26, 2008
Getting Mine

I wish I had found this forum before I got that crappy case off of Ebay. I got my snazzy X7510 about three weeks ago and purchased the ebay case immediately. It fell apart just like everyone else within two weeks:mad:. $20 down the toilet. I am ordering the tough-as-nutts case today.

techntrek

Oct 29, 2007
MD
Over 9 months of everyday use and my case is still going strong. This thing will probably be reused for whatever replaces my Athena in a few years, and then for whatever replaces that. They'll probably have to put the case in my coffin in 50 years.

"Damn thing was always with him, had it over 50 years. I guess it needs to go in there..."

jimmunsw

Apr 21, 2008
Kuala Lumpur
Or for those keen to try something else - please see www.saddlebackleather.com , see the satchel sling bag , i have two of those - tobacco brown and coffee brown , and it's a beauty , lasting and guaranteed for a life time - 100 years , looks better with daily use and over time - just like levis jeans - rugged till the end , please try one from ebay , you will not regret it , cheers and thanks for reading :)