Aw Geesh! My Screen Is Cracked!!!!

Search This thread

Guardsix

Aug 17, 2010
San Antonio
I picked up my Nexus 7 this evening to do some reading and noticed I couldn't get any touch responses. I couldn't get the ring to slide in either direction to unlock the screen. I kept trying for several minutes and finally got it to turn off. I thought a re-set might help. I did get it turned back on but it was doing the same thing. No touch response. I finally turned on my chair lamp and looked at the screen.

I have a crack clear across the screen about a third of the way down! Now, I do not treat my devices roughly in any way. I'm 62 years old so I don't throw stuff around, I use them as they should be used. I don't put my Nexus 7 in a backpack nor have I taken it out of my house in the two weeks I've had it.

I don't believe the glass should be cracking at two weeks of very gentle use.

I guess I have to ask ASUS for warranty service or do I take it back to Office Deport to see if they will do anything for me?

Would appreciate some advice.

Nospin

Nov 20, 2010
You just opened it and there was a crack across the screen, Office Depot shouldn't give you a problem with that. Now I'm believing you that you didn't drop it, so in that case it is a hardware defect and you should just ask to exchange it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

thunder9111

Jul 25, 2010
same thing with my screen, i pressed lightly just to put the back cover back on. I think it's really delicate.

Guardsix

Aug 17, 2010
San Antonio
Quick and Fantastic Update!

Well I was pretty bummed out that my Nexus 7 screen was cracked which made the entire device unusable! I contacted ASUS via their web site and asked about their return/warranty service. They sent me a pretty quick email telling me to fill out an RMA form and a bunch of other stuff which I really, really didn't want to do.

I really didn't want to go that route so today I took a chance and went back to the Office Depot that I bought the device from. I showed my busted Nexus 7 to the manager and he asked if I had bought a Protection Plan. Well, I figured I was dead in the water since I clearly didn't buy any protection plan 15 days ago. He also mentioned they had a 15 day return/exchange policy!

Then to my surprise, Carlie, the manager, said, "Well, I'll go ahead and exchange this one if you buy a Protection Plan this time." Believe me, that didn't sound so bad this time around especially since the Protection Plan covers cracked screens for up to 2 years!

Finally, I have a new (not refurbished) Nexus 7 from Office Depot! That's great customer care if you ask me. I'll be back to that store to buy a lot more stuff in the future.

Just a word to other owners...the glass on the Nexus 7 ain't gorilla glass of any kind if it can break during normal use! I've got mine in a very nice case and that's where it will stay.

thunder9111

Jul 25, 2010
wow.. that's absolutely great news.
I'm stuck with my cracked 16g which I can only use with a mouse.
I'm currently thinking of buying a 8G, as I'm abroad and can't return my 16g.

Solange82200

Mar 27, 2009
Awesome! It never hurts to try in cases like these, and it helps to be nice :)

Its for the best that you ended up with a protection plan. I missed the deal they had at squaretrade and endEd up paying 50 bucks for the two year coverage. Oh well at least I have peace of mind...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

rms58

Aug 4, 2012
My screen is cracked too

Thanks for creating this thread as I need to share my experience with a Nexus 7 that I purchased from Staples 1 week ago.

I was very disturbed to find out that my new Nexus 7 wasn't responding to my password this morning. It was working fine last night before I put it in my nightstand drawer. I wiped away what I thought was a smudge but noticed that it was a 6 inch long crack on the left side. I contacted Asus support and they want me to send the device back to them (at my expense). They'll examine the device and see if the crack was due to user mistreatment. Side note: it wasn't. I do recall that I may have banged it against the counter when I caught it after almost dropping it.

After reading this thread I may go back to Staples and see if they'll replace the device. When I purchased it last week the manager tried to sell me a protection plan but if I recall they were $50 or $100. I've had an Ipod touch for over 2 years and never hand any issues like this. I'm very disappointed to say the least.

BTW I purchased a cover for the Nexus yesterday but it seems to be too late.

-Bob

Last edited:

clockcycle

Dec 28, 2007
Miami, FL
Moto G Power (2021)
My exchange, 2nd from GameStop had the LCD cracked but the outer glass was intact on the day I opened it for my birthday. Took that one back, they gave me a store credit because they didn't have anymore, and the pre-orders closed. I found out they got a new shipment from others on here and called my store today. Manager says, I tried to call you yesterday, we got an extra and another pre-order that decided not to pick his up. Come on by and get yours.

I instantly installed a xtremeguard and my x series tpu case, although this one is not responding to touches, I didn't bother to test it before installing the protector, as I didn't want to get finger prints on it and have to clean it off.. This happened with my previous one as well, but it responded better every hour it dried, not the same on the new one. Also another observation, this is the first of my 3 units that didn't come re-sealed with double tape...

-CC

just lou

Dec 8, 2010
New York
Just a word to other owners...the glass on the Nexus 7 ain't gorilla glass of any kind if it can break during normal use! I've got mine in a very nice case and that's where it will stay.
FWIW, Gorilla Glass is no less prone to cracking than regular glass. It's just less prone to scratch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using xda premium

jinside

Jul 2, 2010
If I knew office depot would have a protection plan for 2 years including screen I probably would not have bought from Google. great news it all worked out. I cracked my notion ink tablet and it cost more than the tablet was worth to replace the screen.

rms58

Aug 4, 2012
Cracked screen update

A quick up update to my previous post. I just got off the phone with Staples and they won't let me return the tablet because it is damaged. I tried to explain that I didn't cause the damage but the employee wasn't budging on this. He said that the only way a screen can crack is by applying too much pressure. I explained that I in no way misused or abused it. I'm very disappointed in Staples not standing behind the products that they sell.

-Bob

android88

Jan 21, 2012
I picked up my Nexus 7 this evening to do some reading and noticed I couldn't get any touch responses. I couldn't get the ring to slide in either direction to unlock the screen. I kept trying for several minutes and finally got it to turn off. I thought a re-set might help. I did get it turned back on but it was doing the same thing. No touch response. I finally turned on my chair lamp and looked at the screen.

I have a crack clear across the screen about a third of the way down! Now, I do not treat my devices roughly in any way. I'm 62 years old so I don't throw stuff around, I use them as they should be used. I don't put my Nexus 7 in a backpack nor have I taken it out of my house in the two weeks I've had it.

I don't believe the glass should be cracking at two weeks of very gentle use.

I guess I have to ask ASUS for warranty service or do I take it back to Office Deport to see if they will do anything for me?

Would appreciate some advice.

The same EXACT thing happened to me too. I am going to try to buy a new screen/LCD/Digitizer, and see if I can replace it.