Upload Mode

Search This thread

mijoma

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 5, 2011
Warsaw
There are several modes that Wave bootloader supports for certain purposes. The normal mode and low power mode just start the Nucleus kernel. I'm also pretty sure everybody knows what a DOWNLOAD MODE is (one with the red letters, but if initiated from Bada it can also display a download picture) that you use to change the firmware installed in the phone OneNAND. There is, however, another interesting mode that bootloader executes if something dies - it's an UPLOAD MODE that looks a bit similar to download mode (text written with yellow letters). There is a different set of commands that bootloader accepts when in this state and there should be some tool able to communicate with the phone. The mode is not really wave specific as SBL bootloader for Galaxy does also implement it.

Does anybody have information about the mode itself or the tool for that? I can provide some more details about commands if necessary.

Reactions: lbyao and adfree

mijoma

Feb 5, 2011
Warsaw
Thanks, but these are just random links... having nothing to do with what I'm asking

Rebellos

Senior Recognized Developer
May 13, 2009
Gdańsk
Please try to look for that "Debug File" and send it to me if you can.

Upload Mode can be easily accessed by modifying bTerm, but I'm too lazy to do it in next days.

Reactions: adfree

mijoma

Feb 5, 2011
Warsaw
:D

Again wrong... from me.

I can see it under Modem in device manager...
Multiloader shows me 2 Ports... same like in "normal mode"
1 for modem
second is my Diag Port... for Debug

Best Regards

Thanks. I think it might be related to my debug settings - how did you configured it? Are you using rsrc2 in mid?

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
Are you using rsrc2 in mid?

During Multiloader Flash it is not more "mandatory"... for me.
So sometime I take Low, sometimes Mid..
I don't know what actually I've taken. :eek:

But as I often use WinComm... so I enter manually:
*#33284*#
I use High...

Second thing, depend on Firmware... maybe go in handset to USB blabla... set Debug. Maybe mandatory in bada 2.0 Firmware...

Best Regards

mijoma

Feb 5, 2011
Warsaw
OK. It seems I'm able to communicate and receive acknowledgements. Later I'll try to find out what params I need to pass to the dataxfer command to retrieve something useful.

Reactions: ho1od and adfree

mijoma

Feb 5, 2011
Warsaw
I've made a quick modification to bterm with new upload command.
It takes two addresses as arguments that are ranges of mapped memory to be dumped.
Bootloader also implements some special values:
- 1EEEFFC 1EEEFFF returns size of the flash dump (FSR_BML_GetDumpSize)
- 1FFFFFC 1FFFFFF returns 3 little-endian values: [BuildInfoAddr] 0x12345678 0xA0000000
- 3FFFFFC 3FFFFFF executes UploadReset

Last edited:

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
Nice this sounds great.

Maybe we can also handle DEV Command ...
Memcpy address length

In every situation to see what is in RAM stored...
In U700 I can do this... :cool:
In S8500 failed... :confused: :(

I know bterm can this. But it seems only once at start.

Thanx for research. :D :cool:

Best Regards

mijoma

Feb 5, 2011
Warsaw
In upload mode you have basically several different options depending on the address. You can read RAM, FTL or FSR dump, CP side RAM and it's a standard functionality so you don't need to install anything in the phone. Works in with any bootloader and apps.

Reactions: ho1od

Rebellos

Senior Recognized Developer
May 13, 2009
Gdańsk
Nice this sounds great.

Maybe we can also handle DEV Command ...
Memcpy address length

In every situation to see what is in RAM stored...
In U700 I can do this... :cool:
In S8500 failed... :confused: :(

I know bterm can this. But it seems only once at start.

Because Windows is trashcan and can't properly handle transfering anything through virtual COM USB without hundreds of codelines. bTerm for linux works few times faster and better IMO, if u got some linux installation - try it out, all you need is download sources, use apt-get install gcc (or just install gcc package if you don't have apt-get), browse to sources directory in commandline and type "make", then you can execute bTerm in the same commandline.

adfree

Jun 14, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Watch 4
Samsung Galaxy S22
I am complete Unix Idiot :eek:

In 20 years I have maybe 10 times installed Linux... SUSE...
Maybe used 10 minutes... :eek:

Last time for 10 years...

This is also an reason, why I can't help with Android...
My little brain too small and ZERO Unix/Linux knowledge nor compiler skills.
:(

I am an stupid Windows Fan Boy. :D
Especially my beloved XP. :cool:

Best Regards

P.S.:
Not enough space in my brain, to learn also Linux/Unix thingies...
I am tooooo old for this.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've made a quick modification to bterm with new upload command.
    It takes two addresses as arguments that are ranges of mapped memory to be dumped.
    Bootloader also implements some special values:
    - 1EEEFFC 1EEEFFF returns size of the flash dump (FSR_BML_GetDumpSize)
    - 1FFFFFC 1FFFFFF returns 3 little-endian values: [BuildInfoAddr] 0x12345678 0xA0000000
    - 3FFFFFC 3FFFFFF executes UploadReset
    There are several modes that Wave bootloader supports for certain purposes. The normal mode and low power mode just start the Nucleus kernel. I'm also pretty sure everybody knows what a DOWNLOAD MODE is (one with the red letters, but if initiated from Bada it can also display a download picture) that you use to change the firmware installed in the phone OneNAND. There is, however, another interesting mode that bootloader executes if something dies - it's an UPLOAD MODE that looks a bit similar to download mode (text written with yellow letters). There is a different set of commands that bootloader accepts when in this state and there should be some tool able to communicate with the phone. The mode is not really wave specific as SBL bootloader for Galaxy does also implement it.

Does anybody have information about the mode itself or the tool for that? I can provide some more details about commands if necessary.
    Finally found Tool... after years... :cool:

Best Regards
    OK. It seems I'm able to communicate and receive acknowledgements. Later I'll try to find out what params I need to pass to the dataxfer command to retrieve something useful.
    It appears to be dump of small part of CP memory. Like few KB near PC and SP, nothing really useful. I think it has been made only for AMSS debugging by Samsung devs.