[NIGHTLY] UNOFFICIAL CM9/ICS For Droid 4 For MotoICS Leak

Search This thread

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
FLASHING ROMS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND COULD POTENTIALLY DAMAGE YOUR PHONE -- WHILE I MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT NOT TO LET THIS HAPPEN, IT'S STILL A RISK THAT YOU'RE TAKING. IF SOMETHING BAD SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOUR PHONE, PLEASE DON'T BLAME ME -- HENCE THIS WARNING.

This isn't so much a ROM announcement as it is a direction to find the unofficial nightly builds of CM9 for the Droid 4 (based on Motorola ICS leaks)

Download Here from ROMbot

Download GApps Here (04/29 Goo-Inside GApps Link).
FLASH THE GAPPS.ZIP FILE AFTER YOU FLASH THE ICS.ZIP

WHAT do I need to run this ROM?
- Rooted
- Running a Motorola ICS leak (.206, .208, .211, etc)
- I recommend that you run Safestrap v2.00 to install this. Here's how to use Safestrap
And you can download Safestrap for the Droid 4 (v2.x for ICS-leak users) here:
Safestrap « Hash-of-Codes

WHAT can I expect to work right now?
- 4G and basic phone function
- All sensors
- Camera, Panorama and Face-unlock
- Video Recording
- HD YouTube
- Netflix

Current Known Issues?
- Data connection is a work in progress. It's MUCH better than it used to be in the old ICS builds, however there is always room for improvement. Due to the "global" data connection style of stock Motorola ICS, this problem will probably continue to be worked on. Feedback is always appreciated, but if you see it posted already then there's a good chance I know about specific issues.
- Currently, there is a bug in the rotation display of the phone. What I mean is, that when you take the phone and rotate it, the display will squeeze in on itself and then pop back out. This is a *known* issue and I'm working very hard to fix it.
- The CM9 built-in Wifi Tether won't work. You need to use the "Wifi Tether" app that's bundled into the ROM. Once you open it, hit [menu] and "Settings". Select "Change Device-Profile" to "Generic ICS".
- I'm sure there's more, I'll update this list here in a bit.

WHO works on this?
Myself and @DHacker29 work as a team to build AOSP-based ROMs (and device setups) for several Motorola phones. Typically, I do the coding work in C, C++ or Java while DHacker maintains the blobs, runs merges with CM/AOKP sources, and solves device issues which require less coding.

WHAT is a "nightly"?
It's an automated build ran from a script. It basically: deletes the current set of output files, sync's with github, and then attempts to do a brand new build. It can break at times, in which case we'll fix it (usually this happens when there are framework changes which didn't get merged).

WHY would I want this?
- Since we work on several devices, this is how we decided to start keeping builds up-to-date. Rather than spend several hours a week on builds and uploading. This happens automatically every night around 2am PST.
- It's up to you the community to identify good "stable" builds.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter as I do sometimes make announcements there before I do forum postings:
Hashcode (@Hashcode0f) on Twitter

We maintain all of our code at github:
https://github.com/o...ns/STS-Dev-Team

Screenshots:
[ COMING SOON ]

Last edited:

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Just tried installing using safestrap and bootlooped. Had to hard reboot to get back to safestrap recovery and back in to stock ROM. Anyone else tried this yet? Might try again tonight when I get home and let the battery charge up a bit.

Sent from my DROID4 using XDA

Reactions: twizzles

jgardner

Feb 8, 2008
Just tried installing using safestrap and bootlooped. Had to hard reboot to get back to safestrap recovery and back in to stock ROM. Anyone else tried this yet? Might try again tonight when I get home and let the battery charge up a bit.

I was able to get it installed and working just fine under safestrap. Did you wipe data, cache, and dalvick?

Reactions: twizzles and kwyrt

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
I was able to get it installed and working just fine under safestrap. Did you wipe data, cache, and dalvick?

That was it. First time I've used safestrap. I figured since I did not have a previous ROM installed in Safemode that I did not need to wipe. Went back in, wiped data and cache and now I am in business. Looking good Hash!

One question though, I tried to wipe dalvik and it said it could not find sd-ext. Any idea what that is about?

Edit: Feels so good to be flashing ROMs again!!!

Last edited:

jgardner

Feb 8, 2008
That was it. First time I've used safestrap. I figured since I did not have a previous ROM installed in Safemode that I did not need to wipe. Went back in, wiped data and cache and now I am in business. Looking good Hash!

One question though, I tried to wipe dalvik and it said it could not find sd-ext. Any idea what that is about?

I did the exact same thing (not wiping on a fresh safestrap). I believe that message about the sd-ext is normal when wiping dalvik.

reigndropz

Feb 26, 2009

I believe the reason behind that message is that the Dalvik cache is not stored on the sd-ext, but rather the sd, which is internal. Since theres technically 2 SD cards on our device, it looks for the dalvik on the first one. A dev would probably have better advice on it though,....I may be wrong.

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011

Safestrap checks for a dalvik cache under a theoretical /sd-ext partition on the external SD. It's almost never there tho. So you can safely ignore that message.

Reactions: twizzles

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
So one thing I have noticed switching between stock and the ICS ROM is the battery level is not consistent. Reads 60% on stock. Reads 26% on ICS. Anybody know what's up with that?

phrir1

Dec 11, 2011
So one thing I have noticed switching between stock and the ICS ROM is the battery level is not consistent. Reads 60% on stock. Reads 26% on ICS. Anybody know what's up with that?

I havent flashed this one just yet but i know on my droid 3 i let the battery charge all the way up and then wiped battery stats and all was fine after that.

doubleokneegro

Jul 29, 2008
Philadelphia
Appreciate the Rom.. Runs very nicely on Droid 4. Easy install.

I know HW video is being worked on. Will that fix or update allow Movie Studio to work?

Very interested and excited about Ice Cream Sandwich and future updates to this Rom

garlick2

Dec 12, 2011
Installed and loving it so far.

The one thing I've noticed, the phone gets really hot, and the battery usage is pretty poor. I actually watched my battery percentage drop while doing my installs of all the apps that I had to download.

I lost about 3% during that process, even when plugged into the wall charger.

I'll keep an eye on it, as I'm close to a charger at all times, so bad battery life doesn't affect me too much.

Can't wait for BT to work, as that would be the last piece in a daily driver for me.

EDIT - just discovered I'm having issues with Chrome Beta. I've never used it before, but it won't load any websites. I'll DL Dolphin for the time being, but would love to try out Chrome. Just wondering if anyone else is running into this.

doubleokneegro

Jul 29, 2008
Philadelphia
Im fully installed and Chrome Browser works great along with all other functions on my end.

As for battery percentage Im not sure if im having your problem with excess heat....

Reactions: garlick2

garlick2

Dec 12, 2011
Im fully installed and Chrome Browser works great along with all other functions on my end.

As for battery percentage Im not sure if im having your problem with excess heat....

Ok found out it was my charger. For some reason it wasn't actually charging and was just causing heat. Plugged it into a different charger and all is well now.

still no love with Chrome though.

Last edited:

gangrif

Mar 30, 2011

Im in this same predicament.. Uh.. How do i hard reset? Hold power? That doesnt seem to be working for me....

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Im in this same predicament.. Uh.. How do i hard reset? Hold power? That doesnt seem to be working for me....

Nevermind, google has solved my despair.

http://www.technipages.com/how-to-reset-frozen-droid-4.html

Thanks.

CreepyE

Oct 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Absolutely love this ROM!!!!! One request though, what do I need to install to get webtop working? Just got the lapdock 500 a couple hours ago and love this ROM to much to give it up

Sent from my DROID4 on ICS

helal348

Aug 31, 2009
:)

Everything seems to be working perfectly for me, even the camera is working properly. I haven't tried bluetooth yet, but I'm not too worried about it, I barely use it. Wifi connects and works, no problem there. I noticed a slight lag after installing setCPU but now it seems fine. I'll check tomorrow to see how the battery life is but for now every things pretty smooth. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    FLASHING ROMS WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND COULD POTENTIALLY DAMAGE YOUR PHONE -- WHILE I MAKE EVERY ATTEMPT NOT TO LET THIS HAPPEN, IT'S STILL A RISK THAT YOU'RE TAKING. IF SOMETHING BAD SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOUR PHONE, PLEASE DON'T BLAME ME -- HENCE THIS WARNING.

This isn't so much a ROM announcement as it is a direction to find the unofficial nightly builds of CM9 for the Droid 4 (based on Motorola ICS leaks)

Download Here from ROMbot

Download GApps Here (04/29 Goo-Inside GApps Link).
    FLASH THE GAPPS.ZIP FILE AFTER YOU FLASH THE ICS.ZIP

WHAT do I need to run this ROM?
    - Rooted
    - Running a Motorola ICS leak (.206, .208, .211, etc)
    - I recommend that you run Safestrap v2.00 to install this. Here's how to use Safestrap
    And you can download Safestrap for the Droid 4 (v2.x for ICS-leak users) here:
    Safestrap « Hash-of-Codes

WHAT can I expect to work right now?
    - 4G and basic phone function
    - All sensors
    - Camera, Panorama and Face-unlock
    - Video Recording
    - HD YouTube
    - Netflix

Current Known Issues?
    - Data connection is a work in progress. It's MUCH better than it used to be in the old ICS builds, however there is always room for improvement. Due to the "global" data connection style of stock Motorola ICS, this problem will probably continue to be worked on. Feedback is always appreciated, but if you see it posted already then there's a good chance I know about specific issues.
    - Currently, there is a bug in the rotation display of the phone. What I mean is, that when you take the phone and rotate it, the display will squeeze in on itself and then pop back out. This is a *known* issue and I'm working very hard to fix it.
    - The CM9 built-in Wifi Tether won't work. You need to use the "Wifi Tether" app that's bundled into the ROM. Once you open it, hit [menu] and "Settings". Select "Change Device-Profile" to "Generic ICS".
    - I'm sure there's more, I'll update this list here in a bit.

WHO works on this?
    Myself and @DHacker29 work as a team to build AOSP-based ROMs (and device setups) for several Motorola phones. Typically, I do the coding work in C, C++ or Java while DHacker maintains the blobs, runs merges with CM/AOKP sources, and solves device issues which require less coding.

WHAT is a "nightly"?
    It's an automated build ran from a script. It basically: deletes the current set of output files, sync's with github, and then attempts to do a brand new build. It can break at times, in which case we'll fix it (usually this happens when there are framework changes which didn't get merged).

WHY would I want this?
    - Since we work on several devices, this is how we decided to start keeping builds up-to-date. Rather than spend several hours a week on builds and uploading. This happens automatically every night around 2am PST.
    - It's up to you the community to identify good "stable" builds.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter as I do sometimes make announcements there before I do forum postings:
    Hashcode (@Hashcode0f) on Twitter

We maintain all of our code at github:
    https://github.com/o...ns/STS-Dev-Team

Screenshots:
    [ COMING SOON ]
    Reserved for future use
    Well I can assist in your issue.

I too was skeptical at first about safestrap but its pretty self explanatory.
    You have the concept down that it backs up your original system 1 and creates a system 2 to then be altered and flashed without touching system 1.

I had the Droid X and that had a locked bootloader as well.
    From my research a locked bootloader just denies the "lowest" level of access to the phone which includes flashing radios and kernels.

Other than that, Yes you can install D4 Safestrap which acts just as CWM Recovery in order to flash this Rom and or others.

Remember when flashing to ENABLE safestrap before you flash and always backup, wipe data, cache, and dalvik

Hope that helps explain some of it to you.

I have ICS this beta running on my D4 like a champ