Additional Wall Charger

Search This thread

hvbelton

Feb 16, 2008
Smart Watches
Based on the talk so far and as is pretty typical, Nokia wants us to us the included charger for charging our L900's. What are you guys planning to do for a travel or backup charger?

mistergreen

Mar 30, 2009
All my charger consists of is a usb cord with a small low profile wall plug. You can use just about any adapter, powered usb hub, usb port on computer, back up battery, charging solution.

They say use their own because of something does happen and you admit you were not using their supplied equipment then the warranty will not cover you.

SuperSport

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
Also, the supplied charger does charge at a higher Amperage than a lot of the aftermarket ones. If you are having trouble with your Lumia 900 charging correctly with an aftermarket one, try the original one again.

Using Nokia Diagnostics, I can see that most of my Aftermarket chargers only send between 200-350mAh and the Stock Nokia one sends up to 650mAh. Quite a difference, and much needed for this larger battery...

PS: Using my PC USB port, I only get 150-200mAh.

Last edited:

22-40

Aug 1, 2010
Using Nokia Diagnostics, I can see that most of my Aftermarket chargers only send between 200-350mAh and the Stock Nokia one sends up to 650mAh.

The white puck Nokia charger is labeled to drive 1A at 5V. Most PC USB ports are current-limited well below 500mA. The yellow ports on Lenovos will generally provide more, but not a full 1A.

Hyperlexis

Mar 15, 2012
The plug prongs don't fold flat, and the charger and cord are not color coordinated with the phone. :( This aspect should be changed for upcoming handsets. Nokia's designers should know better than this.

ragingclue

Nov 9, 2008
The charger needs to be the same color as the phone?

What other devices is this true for outside of the white iPhones and other black phones with generic black chargers (which are the same color by happenstance or by budget decisions, NOT by artistic design)? I don't think the Nokia designers were aware of this "need" for good reason.

I can buy you a sharpie and send it to you if you want. Just let me know which color you have, Cyan or Black. I wouldn't want to send you the wrong one.

jhoff80

Apr 8, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Just saying, you can get Palm branded AC adapters from their webOS phones for dirt cheap (around $5 US) on eBay right now. The phone ones put out 1A as well (and the tablet ones put out 2A, but those are larger).

I haven't even bothered with the Nokia adapter since it doesn't have folding plugs, but I have a few Palm ones that work great.

There are two different models of the Palm one, one which is about an inch and a half long cylinder, and one that's a little larger, and most of the ads on eBay don't specify which it is, but if you're not picky then I don't think you can get anything OEM for cheaper.

SuperSport

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 27, 2007
Northern California
I haven't even bothered with the Nokia adapter since it doesn't have folding plugs, but I have a few Palm ones that work great.
Checking Nokia Diagnostics, what do the Palm ones pump into the phone in mA while charging?
The charger needs to be the same color as the phone?
For the record, I was a little surprised and disappointed when I saw a White adapter in the box. I would have preferred Black, although, most of the time, it's out of sight, just seemed strange, especially when Nokia is SO into color matching their accessories.

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 8, 2008
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Checking Nokia Diagnostics, what do the Palm ones pump into the phone in mA while charging?

Both the larger and smaller phone ones are giving me ~ 850 mA, as is the 2A rated Touchpad one which is even larger. The only difference between the two phone ones other than size is that on the slightly larger one, the prongs actually screw off and let you use travel adapters for other countries' plugs.

nlv447.jpg

snl5ol.jpg

Last edited:

capocaccia

Mar 16, 2011
Oxford
I just plugged into my iPad charger and was instantly getting 785 mA on the charge. I then plugged into the nokia charger and it registers about 650 tops. Looks like the iPad charger will work for a slightly faster charge as well.

sitizenx

Dec 18, 2007
Based on the talk so far and as is pretty typical, Nokia wants us to us the included charger for charging our L900's. What are you guys planning to do for a travel or backup charger?

I believe someone on the internet did a test and the Nokia charger charges faster than the majority of chargers. I don't know that any charger will hurt the phone if if delivers 1 or less amps at 5 volts. It may take longer to charge but your phone should be fine with other decent brands.

In addition to my Nokia charger I use the Belkin mini surge protector. It has two USB charging ports. I don't think it works for iphones though for some reason. Someone else will have to confirm.

31Gz4KpCCZL._AA300_.jpg

In the car I use an onn Dual USB Car Charger. I can't find anything on the web about it. I bought it at Walmart for $10. It works for Lumia 900s and iphones. I've only had it a couple of weeks but it seems to work fine. The problem with car chargers is there seem to be a lot of unreliable models out there. Even the one on the at&t site gets plenty of bad reviews. I wouldn't mind paying more if I knew I was getting a product that would last me years. Anyway we will see if the Walmart charger lasts. If it dies I will report back.

aarondr

Nov 5, 2010
I plugged into a Motorola Droid X charger - rated for 1000ma - it started charging the thing just as fast as OOTB charger. I think the phone is happy with any 1amp chargers. I'll test my iPad 2A charger in the car soon and report back.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just type "Nokia AC-16U fast charger" into amazon, a few working days & dollars later = spare charger! :)

Sent from my Lumia 800 using XDA Windows Phone 7 App