Samsung sg4 melted/burned while charging overnight

Search This thread

datalkingx

Sep 13, 2012
i would appreciate it if you had some links/threads you have found that you can send me in case I need additional proof to Samsung. Ive done some searches on google, but any additional ones would help as well. :)

I've no idea about any other info. Yeah I really meant the OEM should have implemented such feature to stop it from burning up.
All you've got to do is to claim warranty they should replace it for you without charges, hopefully.
Did you order it online or by a shop? I'm not so sure about online but you'd always find out how to claim the warranty by giving them a call.
I mean this issue is quite serious compared to anything else... and frankly this type of problem would have scared people away from getting the new phone.
Good lucky with your search and replacement.

ladyhaly

Jan 2, 2011
Gapan City
I don't see why you'll generalize the entire situation to your call center friends. Do they work for Sammy? But the fact that you keep on complaining about the services our nation can bring (I know it's crappy), then why not move out?

So let us all now assume that customer hotlines suck 0:) hahahaha it is always better if you complain personally in their service centers (especially to the main offices)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda premium

My friends, unfortunately, worked for one of the top call centers in the Philippines... I'm not going to name it, of course, as most forums disagree with naming businesses in order to avoid legal mishaps, but its reputation is very good as they have pretty high standards for candidates to become their employees. They have very good employees who will really seek to help the customers, of course, but I've been told the majority just recite their scripts and hurry the conversation to avoid being told off by the supervisor.

So let us all now assume that customer hotlines suck 0:) hahahaha it is always better if you complain personally in their service centers (especially to the main offices)

That is true. That's the line of thought I was going for with the OP, but just in case the Sammy office or the dealer doesn't acknowledge his warranty, best to go straight and complain to Samsung's main HQ... Or to write to the CEO. Basically, to go higher up. My friend's Galaxy S3 dropped dead a few months ago. It was still under her 1 year warranty. She called customer service, but was told her unit was not going to be replaced and that it must have been her fault. Device is all on stock, no rooting, no third party accessories, no tampering at all. She went to the main office to complain, got sent to the service center, and got her S3 repaired and returned after a week.

Back to topic though... OP's case isn't exactly new. In the "July" part of the following link I read before encountering this thread, a woman from Abu Dhabi apparently had a similar case of the USB port burning off as she charged it overnight.

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-explosion-5-times-galaxy-devices-have-spontaneously-combusted-1342747

I hope my future S4 does not do this. Guess I'll try not to charge it overnight just in case. I keep my main phone beside my pillow in bed, as I use Sleep As Android to track my sleeping pattern and as an alarm. If it burns off, I don't want it to be beside my head... Or anywhere near me. It does have fast charging, right? I'm a heavy user so the battery will get consumed in about a day. *crosses fingers*

Reactions: targaz and saywhatt

targaz

Nov 3, 2008
Back to topic though... OP's case isn't exactly new. In the "July" part of the following link I read before encountering this thread, a woman from Abu Dhabi apparently had a similar case of the USB port burning off as she charged it overnight.

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-explosion-5-times-galaxy-devices-have-spontaneously-combusted-1342747

Thanks! Ill research abit more on this.

I hope my future S4 does not do this. Guess I'll try not to charge it overnight just in case. I keep my main phone beside my pillow in bed, as I use Sleep As Android to track my sleeping pattern and as an alarm. If it burns off, I don't want it to be beside my head... Or anywhere near me. It does have fast charging, right? I'm a heavy user so the battery will get consumed in about a day. *crosses fingers*

Yeah it has fast charge, my thought is that this made it to hot and started melting/burning.
So I would be carefull having it anywhere close to me while sleeping - if i get a replacement...

I didnt tamper with this phone and i used it quite like a gentleman, i had it in a trident case when i was outside and I never had it in the sun. Im working inside during the sun hours... So im right now very dissapointed and frustrated being disconnected. im here with a old nokia... --> not fun!

targaz

Nov 3, 2008
Hey Guys, I was lucky and recieved a new s4 yesterday. Samsung replaced it to do further research on the cause of the meltdown.

This thread is now resolved for my part! :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

Clovett

Jan 14, 2011
I just bought a water damaged S4 to repair and use as an upgrade. While waiting for all my stuff to arrive I read much about melting charger ports. So when I dis-assembled mine today I made sure to inspect my port thoroughly. This is what I found and it's quite alarming. The two contacts that appear to be "burned" are not. These are NOT burn marks. Notice that the solder is all the way back on the contacts on all the lugs but two? Notice that the back half of those contacts are still copper and have not had any solder applied. Those contacts were mis-soldered from the factory and I believe this may be what is causing both the charging port melting issues and the high current required to charge these units.

The issue here is that you won't know it until your unit fails, then they will charge you $100 to repair their issue and that they were not soldered correctly is destroyed before it's found.

Reactions: targaz

MrAndroid12

Mar 30, 2011
Auckland
No, but customer service in first world countries is much better, as call center agents in first world countries are better trained. I'm from the Philippines with friends who have previously worked for call centers. They kept telling me that they were being scolded by their supervisor for having longer calls than 3 minutes, as they were trying to really help the customers resolve their problem, and unfortunately, the prepared script couldn't solve those particular customers' problems.

You immediately jumped to conclusions and raged at me. Stop it. You don't even know who I am and immediately you assumed I was discriminating. Am I supposed to say that customer service in countries like the Philippines and India is top notch when I know for myself it's not? There are a lot of factors to that, but that's not what I'm pointing out, isn't it? What are you going to accuse me of next?

If you bothered to Google my location, you'd KNOW it's from the Philippines. Who's disconnected from reality now?

No, just come into New Zealand and you will see.
The major retailers such as Noel Lemming they will ask you to deposit 60 dollars and not send it to the supplier by saying it was declined. When you go and ask them why, the will tell you to "take the bloody thing and get the fu<k out of the store".

I ended up sending it back to the OEM myself with a description is to why I am doing that.

So no and to be honest, this is the second time it has happened to me from 2 different retailers.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update below:

Hey Guys,

i had a bad sleep last night, and that was actually good for once.
    I woke up in the middle of night and wanted to check my phone. the screen was black and insanly hot. I took out the charger and thought it just needed to cool down. then 10 minutes later i checked the phone again, and it was still really hot. i took out the battery as well and continued to sleep. Then early morning I was scared i would miss the alarm, i inserted the battery again and wanted to attach the cover, but there was something wierd with the bottom exterior. i turned on the light and instantly woke up a 100%.
    The bottom had melted and deformed and the charger tip was black.

It seems I was lucky waking up at the very right time before the device would have further heaten up and potentially caught fire...

I hope the dealer can easily replace the device as I am moving between countries. I already called samsung, but it seems the lady i was talking with was rather unwilling to help and directed me solely to the dealer...

Links below for pictures:
    20130722_090257.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ehgzsq6zx15zvx5/0lXdixMRl0

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Update: Samsung replaced the headset, supposedly to do further research on the issue.
    im still frightened to charge it overnight, especially if you have it close to your bed at night! But anyways, im happy to have a new SGS4 in my hands!
    (customer service via hotlines suck, as they outsource that sort of thing to third world countries like the Philippines and India, so most representatives when it comes to serious problems like that, they will turn you away and not help you)
    Are you saying that customer service in "first" world countries is perfect?

If those in 3rd world countries suck, and knowing that multinationals do their homework, why do you think that they still outsource? One would say they are either nuts to throw away their hard earned name or they are just trying to save a buck. Assuming it to be the latter, would it not be better to say the MNCs suck and or that they are greedy rather than accuse someone who is trying to help ... someone that MAY BE disconnected from reality as they either have no clue what's happening in the other world or have no power to sort out the problem (as in this case where the help desk guy Philippines and/ or India would have no authority to approve a replacement).
    I don't see why you'll generalize the entire situation to your call center friends. Do they work for Sammy? But the fact that you keep on complaining about the services our nation can bring (I know it's crappy), then why not move out?

My friends, unfortunately, worked for one of the top call centers in the Philippines... I'm not going to name it, of course, as most forums disagree with naming businesses in order to avoid legal mishaps, but its reputation is very good as they have pretty high standards for candidates to become their employees. They have very good employees who will really seek to help the customers, of course, but I've been told the majority just recite their scripts and hurry the conversation to avoid being told off by the supervisor.

That is true. That's the line of thought I was going for with the OP, but just in case the Sammy office or the dealer doesn't acknowledge his warranty, best to go straight and complain to Samsung's main HQ... Or to write to the CEO. Basically, to go higher up. My friend's Galaxy S3 dropped dead a few months ago. It was still under her 1 year warranty. She called customer service, but was told her unit was not going to be replaced and that it must have been her fault. Device is all on stock, no rooting, no third party accessories, no tampering at all. She went to the main office to complain, got sent to the service center, and got her S3 repaired and returned after a week.

I just bought a water damaged S4 to repair and use as an upgrade. While waiting for all my stuff to arrive I read much about melting charger ports. So when I dis-assembled mine today I made sure to inspect my port thoroughly. This is what I found and it's quite alarming. The two contacts that appear to be "burned" are not. These are NOT burn marks. Notice that the solder is all the way back on the contacts on all the lugs but two? Notice that the back half of those contacts are still copper and have not had any solder applied. Those contacts were mis-soldered from the factory and I believe this may be what is causing both the charging port melting issues and the high current required to charge these units.

The issue here is that you won't know it until your unit fails, then they will charge you $100 to repair their issue and that they were not soldered correctly is destroyed before it's found.