FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Rom question.

1,605 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,562
 
By petsasj, Retired Recognized Developer on 22nd March 2010, 02:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey there. I've ordered an htc magic, and since it has a 288mb memory, i suppose it's the 32A version (we'll see when it gets here though).

I basically want to turn my magic into the HTC Hero (well the UI at least..) I've spent most of my day today reading about how to flash roms, which ones offer this or that, what the problems are and so on. After about 10 hours of reading, i came across this:
htc.com/hk-en/SupportViewNews.aspx?dl_id=765&news_id=355
on the HTC webpage (EDIT: please add "w w w." in front of the text as the forum won't let me insert a link)

And my first question is... What's the difference between that official rom and, say, the CursorSense32A-1.2.6.1 ROM - which i take is the most popular around here.
 
 
22nd March 2010, 04:13 AM |#2  
Taknarosh's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Just use Cursor's ROM. You won't regret it.
22nd March 2010, 12:35 PM |#3  
petsasj's Avatar
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 1,562
 
Donate to Me
More
I'm sure it must be better. I just wanted to know basic differences...

Is CursorSense using Android 2.1 or the normal 1.5?
22nd March 2010, 02:13 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 222
 
More
Cursor is using the 1.5 with SenseUI interface. If you really want the 2.1 i would recommend you check Super-Hero from ahmgsk also with SenseUI.
22nd March 2010, 04:06 PM |#5  
KAwAtA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 106
 
More
2.1 is most likely unstable. It's ok but I personally prefer stability. Just grab cursorsense and you basically have yourself the hero, but be careful flashing radio and spl.
22nd March 2010, 06:44 PM |#6  
petsasj's Avatar
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 1,562
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAwAtA

2.1 is most likely unstable. It's ok but I personally prefer stability. Just grab cursorsense and you basically have yourself the hero, but be careful flashing radio and spl.

That was my main concern about the cursorsense and that's why i was looking for the official HTC Sense UI update. I still don't know what their difference is and what more does cursorsense offer.

I am a computer engineer, so it SHOULDN'T be that big of a deal to flash some firmware on a cell phone, i just have a lot of reading to do, which is not all in one place in a form of a tutorial or something.

If anyone has some useful links to provide, you'd save my day. Thanks a mil once again.
22nd March 2010, 11:55 PM |#7  
KAwAtA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 106
 
More
give us the fastboot details on your phone and I'm sure someone (including myself) can help you in the process. Just follow instructions and you should be fine but we'll guide if necessary. Lastly, is that 32A the one with the headphone jack? (If it is, I can't help you too much lol, I can point you places but that's it)
23rd March 2010, 07:09 AM |#8  
Taknarosh's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsasj

That was my main concern about the cursorsense and that's why i was looking for the official HTC Sense UI update. I still don't know what their difference is and what more does cursorsense offer.

I am a computer engineer, so it SHOULDN'T be that big of a deal to flash some firmware on a cell phone, i just have a lot of reading to do, which is not all in one place in a form of a tutorial or something.

If anyone has some useful links to provide, you'd save my day. Thanks a mil once again.

Not to be rude but this link was on the CursorSense thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=605239
Just follow it step by step. It doesn't take a Computer Engineer to figure it out, by the way it's written and explained.

Also, the official update flashes your radio to the 6.35 radio, so I'll say it again, just go with cursor's ROM you won't regret it.
It's fast, it has no carrier branding, it's fast, it's stable and did I mention it's fast?
24th March 2010, 02:19 AM |#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
I advice you against using an official rom. specially if you want to make modifications/root/hack your phone. those official roms usually fix bugs that are needed for hacky things to be done, such as gaining root.
25th March 2010, 11:04 AM |#10  
petsasj's Avatar
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 1,562
 
Donate to Me
More
My phone has not arrived yet so i cannot provide any more information as of now.
6th April 2010, 02:48 PM |#11  
petsasj's Avatar
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Flag Athens
Thanks Meter: 1,562
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by devbro

I advice you against using an official rom. specially if you want to make modifications/root/hack your phone. those official roms usually fix bugs that are needed for hacky things to be done, such as gaining root.

Okay so here is a biggie that i need help for.

I am looking into buying a used HTC Magic (32A) that is in mint condition. The seller told me, after i asked him if i can use an unofficial rom on his, that he has flashed an official rom on it and is unsure if i will be able to flash modified ROMs.

He shall provide me the SPL and Radio versions tomorrow, as well as the ROM version he is using.

What do you think i should do? In case the SPL is perfected (which i suppose is what devbro meant) is there any way to revert back to an engineering SPL and Radio (i am looking into using Cursor's ROM).

Thanks guys. And i shall be providing the Info as soon as i get it so you can help me decide.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes