Phone has terrible lag when connected to wifi

Search This thread

erickim55

Jul 2, 2010
Whenever I am connected to wifi, the phone slows down substantially. When unlocking my phone it takes 2 seconds to register and everything stutters. I have reset my phone and cleared everything yet I still have this problem. Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Know a fix?

Reactions: Aryav DV

jrwingate6

Aug 13, 2009
Charm City
Never had this problem and haven't seen anyone else post about this problem. Is the entire phone lagging or is it just the UI, browser or certain apps?

Seanathan

Dec 2, 2010
Go into the Wifi settings and click the menu button. Go into advanced settings and change the wifi sleep policy to "never". That helped me.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA Premium App

KiNG OMaR

Sep 20, 2010
Chicago
Go into the Wifi settings and click the menu button. Go into advanced settings and change the wifi sleep policy to "never". That helped me.

How does that help :rolleyes:

The phone lags terribly for a couple seconds when you turn on wifi, like when using the power control widget scrolling to another screen is very choppy. Having it not turn off isn't the solution :(

uploder

Jun 11, 2010
North FL
this happened to me yesterday while trying to wifi download plants vs zombies from amazon. it locked up soo bad I had to pull the battery. Buuuuuut im thinking it was my internet because i was playing MK online as well and my ps3 lost connection at the same time. I hate living in the boonies :mad: comcast is garbage

propain4444

Jun 28, 2010

The phone lags terribly for a couple seconds when you turn on wifi, like when using the power control widget scrolling to another screen is very choppy. Having it not turn off isn't the solution :(

Actually, it IS the solution. The phone has some issue when connecting and obtaining an IP address. If you install a system profiler, you will see that when WiFi is powering up, and when the phone requests an IP from the router, CPU usage goes to 100% on BOTH cores and stay there until the connection is made, then everything settles down.

The reason this "fix" works, is because when your screen goes to sleep, the default behavior is to turn off WiFi, which means when you wake it up, you get that CPU spike again. Setting it to never sleep, means you will only get that spike when the initial connection is made (when you first turn on wifi).

This problem was driving me nuts, but i haven't had an issue since disabling wifi sleep.

mobilehavoc

Mar 12, 2006
The OP I believe is talking about another issue that I experienced recently. For me it starts after the phone has been up for like 2 days or so. Loading a web page is stutterific and slow as well as scrolling, animations. If I turn off Wifi, it works perfectly again on 3G/4G. I think there's a memory leak somewhere or there's some issue that's causing this. I'm going to drop my wifi from 802.11n to 802.11g for a few days to see if that helps. I have my Wifi set to never sleep since the day I bought the phone.

propain4444

Jun 28, 2010
I'm going to drop my wifi from 802.11n to 802.11g for a few days to see if that helps. I have my Wifi set to never sleep since the day I bought the phone.

How are you connecting to N? I have a Dual Band router, but my phone can only see the network i have configured for wireless-g, the n network does not show up (it's set to broadcast, etc...) so i can only connect via g to begin with.

Seanathan

Dec 2, 2010

BECAUSE I was having the same issue you guys are having and doing that fixed it. Everytime the phone goes into sleep and wakes it will try to reconnect to wifi. Just try it and if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work. But for me, with the same issues, it worked.

blitz911

May 10, 2010
Hawaii

That's exactly what happens to me since i use the power control widget to turn on/off wifi. Not a biggie but slightly noticeable...and i do have the wifi sleep policy set to never.

artstar56

Nov 24, 2017
Whenever I am connected to wifi, the phone slows down substantially. When unlocking my phone it takes 2 seconds to register and everything stutters. I have reset my phone and cleared everything yet I still have this problem. Anyone else experiencing the same issue? Know a fix?

Your not alone.
It's because when certain phones connect the internet, many processes start up and that causes lag on certain phones that have a small or old processors
eg. A quad core phone will not lag, as it has more processors threaded, but a single core will lag as it has only one processor to use and therefore will lag when more processes start up.
If you use a different launcher then you may lag less

Hope this helps

BForLight

Oct 19, 2018
I've been having that problem for the last two days , my phone was normal but when I

[I've been having the problem for the last two days , each time I open wifi my phone gets SUPER slow and laggy like crazy and it's annoying me a whole lot , I haven't found a solution yet please help
The OP I believe is talking about another issue that I experienced recently. For me it starts after the phone has been up for like 2 days or so. Loading a web page is stutterific and slow as well as scrolling, animations. If I turn off Wifi, it works perfectly again on 3G/4G. I think there's a memory leak somewhere or there's some issue that's causing this. I'm going to drop my wifi from 802.11n to 802.11g for a few days to see if that helps. I have my Wifi set to never sleep since the day I bought the phone.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.