[GUIDE] Undervolting, The Right Way

Search This thread

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
Since we all have the same phone couldn't we all use the exact same voltages? and are the ones pictured yours?

No, each chip is slightly different from the factory. Nvidia tests each one at the stock voltages
And sends ones that don't pass back. That means that most chips can go a little lower until they fail, but not all. So when we say each phone is different, we really mean it! :)

And no, those are just example voltages, I'm one of the lucky ones, my phone can run 775Mv all the way up to 800Mhz without freezing. :)

If I end up squeezing every bit of juice, wouldn't that make my charger life short?

Yes and no. Undervolting will not hurt your phone in any way, if done correctly. However letting the battery drain all the way to zero will shorten the life of your battery.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: moeahmad1995

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
Its April 17th and this isn't stickied yet? I Vote klathmon as the g2x mod, so ye can sticky this post.

I'm going to pm a mod as soon as I get home

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

I don't want this stickied. It's not important enough to be up top, it's a relatively advanced guide for this phone, sickies should be for general guides. The one sticky up to links to this guide and that's enough

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

moeahmad1995

May 3, 2011
Chicago
You can't always have what you want! :p . I guess if you don't want it I can't force you to. Anyways thanks again for this important guide. Iv used this and it helped a lot

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

deathmaker06

May 12, 2012
I'm assuming the whole difference of more than 100mV is a bad thing is due to something similar with overclocking PCs where if vdroop is active the voltages climb and fall is too fast causing it to freeze up. If I'm right about that then I might have a problem overclocking mine. Currently I am running stable with the following.

Mhz - mV
216 - 375
432 - 450
594 - 550
750 - 650
1000 - 825(becomes unstable at 800)

Anything after 1000 becomes super unstable unless I give it 1175mV or more but even then it is very unstable leaving me to believe its due to something similar to vdroop. I honestly don't mind staying at 1Ghz but if possible I would like to get a stable overclock at 1200Mhz.

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
I'm assuming the whole difference of more than 100mV is a bad thing is due to something similar with overclocking PCs where if vdroop is active the voltages climb and fall is too fast causing it to freeze up. If I'm right about that then I might have a problem overclocking mine. Currently I am running stable with the following.

Mhz - mV
216 - 375
432 - 450
594 - 550
750 - 650

Anything after 1000 becomes super unstable unless I give it 1175mV or more but even then it is very unstable leaving me to believe its due to something similar to vdroop. I honestly don't mind staying at 1Ghz but if possible I would like to get a stable overclock at 1200Mhz.

the tegra has a minimum voltage of 725-775 depending on the kernel your using. so anything set lower is just set to that value.

so your actual voltages are
216 - 750
432 - 750
594 - 750
750 - 750
1000 - 825

as for going above 1000mhz, you just need to smooth out your voltage curve.

(in my opinion) you should set 594 to 800 750 to 900; 1000 to 1000; and 1200 to 1100;

those voltages might be higher than your cpu can do in a best case scenario, the smoother ramp up and down will allow 1100 (or maybe even lower) to (hopefully) be stable.

then feel free to lower the voltages as you see fit, just try to keep them "smooth". by this i mean imagine the voltage/frequency table as a line graph, try to keep the line a nice smooth curve.

hope this helps :)

aaCotyaa

May 15, 2012
Alabama
I want to be able to UV and help my battery out, but this shiz makes me nervous lol. I might try it when I'm closer to being able to get a new phone, just in case I screw it up lol.

cricketAC

Aug 5, 2011
I want to be able to UV and help my battery out, but this shiz makes me nervous lol. I might try it when I'm closer to being able to get a new phone, just in case I screw it up lol.
It looks scary at first but take baby steps and in no time you will be able to UV/OC like a pro. Take the first step.

@ klatmon, if 750 is the min, how come faux stock voltage goes down to 670mv for his lowest speed. Shouldnt he know better as he makes so many kernels .lol

bellroid

Oct 25, 2010
I use pimp my cpu

and I have overclocked / undervolted my cpu, however, now I have returned to stock voltages and frequencies using Hellfire ICS but my phone still occasionally turns off by itself with lots of battery life left.

Any ideas?

-Electronics Engineer

Klathmon

May 1, 2011
and I have overclocked / undervolted my cpu, however, now I have returned to stock voltages and frequencies using Hellfire ICS but my phone still occasionally turns off by itself with lots of battery life left.

Any ideas?

-Electronics Engineer

if your phone just started doing this, then its probably a ROM issue. try posting in that thread (and if it is a big problem just restore a backup)

deathmaker06

May 12, 2012
the tegra has a minimum voltage of 725-775 depending on the kernel your using. so anything set lower is just set to that value.

216 - 750
432 - 750
594 - 750
750 - 750
1000 - 825

(in my opinion) you should set 594 to 800 750 to 900; 1000 to 1000; and 1200 to 1100;

those voltages might be higher than your cpu can do in a best case scenario, the smoother ramp up and down will allow 1100 (or maybe even lower) to (hopefully) be stable.

then feel free to lower the voltages as you see fit, just try to keep them "smooth". by this i mean imagine the voltage/frequency table as a line graph, try to keep the line a nice smooth curve.

Those voltages you recommended is what its set to by default(or very close to them).

Pretty much I'm trying to get a undervolt overclock to save battery and to keep the temps low while maintaining a little performance boost for the games that need it. But after much testing I think i'll just stay with the voltages I have now and cap the max speed at 1Ghz, considering I got myself a pretty good undervolt there.

Also I didn't know about the minimum voltage. I'll take that into consideration when I get bored and want to undervolt again :D. Thanks

Last edited:

aaCotyaa

May 15, 2012
Alabama

216 - 750
432 - 750
594 - 750
750 - 750
1000 - 825

I finally trying to work on this, but this confuses me a bit. If that's the lowest, it doesn't seem like it leaves me with a lot of room for adjustment in the lower frequencies... unless I'm not understanding it right...

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

And also, I'd like to note that since starting to UV, I'm getting just slightly lower benchmark scores than what I normally get. Just slightly though. I'm trying to come up with the best balance of battery life and power that I can get, but I thought undervolting wasn't supposed to effect processing speed. Or maybe I was misinformed...???

ilaf0106

Jun 5, 2009
POMONA
Hey quick question while doing this indervolting thing what would be the best governor to try this the performance governor ??

Sent from my LG-P920 using xda app-developers app

t83wood

Feb 22, 2013

Mhz - mV
216 - 375
432 - 450
594 - 550
750 - 650

Anything after 1000 becomes super unstable unless I give it 1175mV or more but even then it is very unstable leaving me to believe its due to something similar to vdroop. I honestly don't mind staying at 1Ghz but if possible I would like to get a stable overclock at 1200Mhz.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I'm running PA 12 with Harsh's OC kernel, currently mine numbers are:

Mhz- mV
216 - 565
324 - 630
655 - 730
816 - 830
1015 - 920
1100 - 955
1216 - 1055
1408 - 1105

The way I did mine was using SetCpu to manually set clock between each Mhz range, then see how low I could push the high and low of that range before freezing. After that I smoothed them out to make sure they didn't have more than 100mV difference (except for the 1015-816 range but so far it's a start). Now I start just using and see how stable it is over time. I'm also using Seeder, and occasionally I use a task killer just make sure my ram is being used well but very rarely do I kill apps. I just flashed this rom a couple days ago so battery still needs to go through a few more cycles at the clock rates and voltages before it's used to it, but so far no overheating (Have an underclock profile set just in case it does). This is why I will never buy an Iphone, can't really do this much with apple and you can't pop the battery in an emergency.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-35-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-02-23-12-35-11.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 798

dustrho

Sep 21, 2009
Oswego, IL
twitter.com
Here's my setup that's running nicely. Still decreasing the voltage every few days until I reach that unstable point.

Sent from my GNEX powered by AOKP

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1368534200051.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368534200051.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 480
  • uploadfromtaptalk1368534213940.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1368534213940.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 487
Reactions: WarEagleUS

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems alot of people dont know the proper way to undervolt their phones, so I'm gonna try to help out! This is my first attempt at a guide, and i tend to ramble so just tell me if it makes no ****-for-sense :D

Undervolting is great, it allows us to change the voltage in our phones while we use it! this can really increase battery life and reduce heat in the phone. but if its not done right, it causes many more problems than it fixes.

When you are following this guide you WILL have issues! This is not a generic disclaimer, it is the TRUTH! the goal here is to find out where your phone stops working, and you cant do that without causing it to STOP WORKING.

once again: THIS WILL MAKE YOUR PHONE FREEZE, IT WILL HAVE AWFUL BATTERY LIFE, AND IT WILL MAKE BAD THINGS HAPPEN

But after its all done it should work much better :)

To start off, too much or too little voltage in the phone causes any number of things including:
    • Reboots (Screen Off and Screen On)
    • Lagging
    • Phone Overheating (Hot to the touch)
    • Reduced Battery Life (this includes the phone using more power, as well as reducing the battery's ability to hold a charge)
    • 'Strange' issues with things shutting off/not working (WIFI, Bluetooth, your favorite app, ect...)
    • Many other 'weird' things

If you are having any of the above issues, and you are using a custom kernel, they may be caused by inproper undervolting.
    THIS CAN BE THE CASE EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOT DONE ANY UNDERVOLTING YOURSELF!!!
    Most custom kernels have undervolting build into them, and even 'stock voltage' versions allow overclocking, and those frequencies have no 'safe' voltage associated with them.

How to Properly Undervolt your Phone:

*this assumes you have no idea where to start, if you have some past experience, USE IT!!!*

First, Undervolting a phone the right way is not a quick job, like most things in life the more time you put into it the better your end result will be. For me i like to take an ENTIRE WEEK OR MORE to get all my settings down right. whenever you decide to do this, expect any and all of the issues i listed above to happen while you are trying to find the right settings.

Step 1: Starting Fresh

Disable all overclocking, undervolting, AND PROFILES on the ROM, you need to get the stock speeds working before you try to push the phone to its limit.

This will be your baseline. Use the phone like you normally do, text, call, surf the web, even let it sit in your pocket for a while. Do this for as long as you need to to be sure that everything is stable.

If you have any issues during this stage. STOP! add +25mv to every frequency across the board and start over. Do this up to 3 times if necessary, if after you have added +75mv to your stock voltage and you are still having issues, it is most likely something else in the rom causing the issue (rogue app, wrong kernel version, phone was dropped in the toilet too many times...) try to fix that first, or just try to ignore the issue, its up to you.

Otherwise, if everything is stable, Continue to step 2!
    Step 2: Start Lowering Voltages

Lower all of the voltages by -25mv across the board. (If your phone needed any voltage added over stock to be stable, skip this step.)

This is where you begin testing the waters. Once again use the phone like normal, including some screen off time, as well as some CPU intensive tasks (playing music while websurfing, gaming, ect.)

If your phone is still stable after a good amount of time, then do it again. Your looking for the moment when things start to go wrong.

When you notice your first random reboot, or you start to feel the phone getting hot, or not responding STOP! you found the limit of your phone. Go back to the last working voltages you have and use them for step 3.

The more time you spend at this step the better your overall result will be! if you dont get any symptoms in an hour, they might show up later in the day, or overnight. Just take your time and have some patience.
    Step 3: Lowering Voltages Independently

Now that you have a stable working phone. you can start lowering voltages one by one!

Starting with the lowest frequency, lower the voltage by -25mv.

Run this for a while, until you feel it is stable. Then move to the next highest voltage and do the same.

*If you have any issues, undo ONLY that frequency!!! Write down that frequency somewhere. you are done with it! you know that frequency is stable, and you shouldn't need to touch it again!!!

Keep doing this till you get to your stock maximum frequency, then continue to step 4!

*NOTE:* if any 2 voltages have more than a 100mv difference (125mv difference on Morfic's Kernels) between them, you need to raise the others around it to be equal or less than that. For exampe:

if at 1ghz, the phone is at 1000mv and at 1.2ghz the phone is at 1150mv. the higher one needs to be lowered (set 1.2ghz to 1125mv). if that is not stable for you then you must raise the lower one higher (set 1ghz to 1025mv).

Step 4: OVERCLOCKING!

At this point you should have a completely stable phone with no overclocking, grats! :) Now you get to start raising the frequency.

starting with the next highest frequency, set it to its stock voltage. if this is more than 100mv (125mv for Morfic's kernels) more than the previous frequency, set it to 100mv (125 for morfic) more than that.

run this until it is stable, and keep reducing it as much as you feel until you find instability. set it one step higher and move on to the next highest frequency.

if, after setting the voltage to 100mv (or 125mv) more than the last one, it is not stable, you need to raise the lower frequency's voltage up. sometimes this can cause a chain reaction that makes you raise 3, 4, or even all of the other frequencies up, if this happens you need to decide if that frequency is worth it to raise all the other frequencies to the next level.

If all is running good, proceed to step 5!

Step 5: The part where you hate me :)

(this step is optional, its just something i do to help with stability)

Now that you have a fully overclocked phone that is running as low of a frequency as it can safely, raise all of the voltages up by +25mv!

yes yes, i know, it sounds retarted to just undo that hard work and all that time you just put into finding the perfect voltages, but just hear me out.

Even if you spent a week on each step, did everything perfectly and tested everything you ever do on your phone and it is all completely stable. one day you are going to do something that will push the phone, which is running at its limit. so by adding 25mv to everything you are giving yourself some insurance. you may loose some battery life (i honestly don't ever notice a change with only 25mv) but when your phone alarm goes off in the morning to get you up for class, or you get that call you got that job you wanted, just be happy its not frozen on the table, or black screened in your pocket.

There you go! you should now have a stable phone with great battery life, and now you can stop bugging the devs about 'that strange reboot that is still there' or 'how every time you use his kernel you get black screens' :D

To Long; Didn't read Version:

If your having issues with your phone and you think its related to UV, and your much too busy/lazy/cool to read the above, try this: (Results will most likely be worse...)

Set (all of) your lowest voltages to 775mv (or 750 if you think your phone can do it)
    Set your 1ghz voltage around 1000mv (give or take 50-100mv)
    Set the highest speed to no more than 100mv below its stock seting.
    Set the rest of all the speeds below 1ghz on a line between it and the lowest, and after 1ghz on a line between it and the highest. ex(From Morfic's T15 Kernel):

2012-03-24

Post any questions or feedback you have, ill try to answer it as best i can! :)
    This is done using setcpu?

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

Any CPU managing app. I use CPU Master but there's lots more options out there. I don't use SetCPU because it took nearly a year to update.

Sent from my amazing LG G2x running Bionix Reloaded v1.4 :D

Mhz - mV
    216 - 375
    432 - 450
    594 - 550
    750 - 650

Anything after 1000 becomes super unstable unless I give it 1175mV or more but even then it is very unstable leaving me to believe its due to something similar to vdroop. I honestly don't mind staying at 1Ghz but if possible I would like to get a stable overclock at 1200Mhz.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I'm running PA 12 with Harsh's OC kernel, currently mine numbers are:

Mhz- mV
    216 - 565
    324 - 630
    655 - 730
    816 - 830
    1015 - 920
    1100 - 955
    1216 - 1055
    1408 - 1105

The way I did mine was using SetCpu to manually set clock between each Mhz range, then see how low I could push the high and low of that range before freezing. After that I smoothed them out to make sure they didn't have more than 100mV difference (except for the 1015-816 range but so far it's a start). Now I start just using and see how stable it is over time. I'm also using Seeder, and occasionally I use a task killer just make sure my ram is being used well but very rarely do I kill apps. I just flashed this rom a couple days ago so battery still needs to go through a few more cycles at the clock rates and voltages before it's used to it, but so far no overheating (Have an underclock profile set just in case it does). This is why I will never buy an Iphone, can't really do this much with apple and you can't pop the battery in an emergency.
    This is done using setcpu?

It can be done with any app that works with this phone.
    I use an app called "System Tuner Pro" because it allows you to add voltage from stock settings (my phone seems to like a minimum voltage of 775 vs the 750 that most kernels start with) and im not sure any more but i think its free...

My only question: I understand what you're saying, but I think your example may be incorrect. 1200mV - 1000mV = 200mV difference, so you would need to change one or the other by 75 to 100mV, right?

thanks, yeah thats what i meant to say :eek:

All Fixed :D
    Truly a great guide. I agree mostly with the last part, my alarm stopped ringing two days in a row, so I added 25 mv across the board, and it works perfectly. Thank you on behalf of the community, everyone will appreciate this guide for sure. :D