[P999 CAN HOPE????]Android 4.4 Support To Devices With As Little As 512MB Of RAM

Search This thread

hienproqb272

Dec 17, 2012
If you've used Android 4.1 or later on a phone or tablet with 1GB of RAM, you know things can get a little tight in the memory department. That's what makes newer and slightly underpowered devices like the Lenovo Yoga a little disappointing. Google has decided to trim the fat with Android 4.4 in an initiative they've christened "Project Svelte." This isn't a single change, it's a wide range of additions to the Android API and optional hardware configurations designed to make KitKat run smoothly on devices with as little as 512MB of system memory.
According to the new 4.4 developer page, Project Svelte starts with recommendations and options targeted at device manufacturers. Specifically:
Dalvik JIT code cache tuning
kernel samepage merging (KSM)
swap to zRAM
tune out-of-memory levels for processes
set graphics cache sizes
control memory reclaim
When it comes to pure software, core processes have been trimmed to use less memory and protect system memory from hungry apps. Android will also launch concurrent services in sequence instead of all at once to prevent slowdown. Imagine it as cleaning out the Startup folder in Windows, except that it's all happening behind the scenes. Developers also have access to the new ActivityManager.isLowRamDevice API, allowing memory-hogging features to be enabled and disabled as needed. Google will be integrating this feature into its own first-party apps, so even those with more powerful hardware should see at least some benefit.
Project Svelte isn't going to magically make older devices compatible with 4.4 - even Google's own Galaxy Nexus (with 1GB of RAM) isn't getting an official update, likely because of the aging OMAP SoC. But this will hopefully help devices like the original Nexus 7 and Nexus 4, not to mention upcoming low-end phones that will launch with 4.4, to better handle resources as apps become more hardware intensive.

knotes

Dec 10, 2012
Markham
You shouldn't expect anything from LG, and now that almost all the Devs have given up on the g2x, I too have realized that there is no hope for the g2x.
But although this phone got screwed pretty bad, if it wasn't for this phone I would have never known about the xda community and the joy of rooting, and for that I am grateful.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app

Pain-N-Panic

Mar 24, 2013
Droid
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Same here, Knotes. If it wasn't for stock 2.3.4 gingerbread driving me insane with its lag, inconsistency and overall weak performance I would have never stumbled upon XDA and have rooted my phone to make it a somewhat halfway decent device (thanks to the amazing devs we've had) lol.

Reactions: Angel0fDeath

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
Sadly, I don't use my G2X anymore, I've gone back to using my Nokia E73/Mode Blackberry clone semi-smart phone which uses the obsolete Symbian OS, doesn't have a touch screen, has a real keypad, and does what I need adequately such as Skype, GPS with maps (I recently used it in Italy for a month), Wifi and phone calls. It has great battery life, very good audio quality, great cell radio range, easily fits in my pocket, is extremely well made and durable ( it fell from the roof on top of the 3rd floor of my house, while I was trimming tree branches, onto a concrete sidewalk and bounced into some bushes and only had a few scratches on the bezel at the top left corner. I do use a currently cheapest available Asus Android 7" tablet, that cost $150 new and runs Android 4.2.2 and it has had 3 updates since I bought it 2 months ago. It gets used when I need an app that runs on Android and to surf the net. I will never buy a new Android phone again and definitely not an LG at all, even used, because of what happened to the G2X.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
Lahore
Build a new CM11 ROM

Hi there !!! What if someone could actually build one Rom for p999 .... Even Huawei y201 Pro that is working on 512 MB ram has a CM11 based kitkat 4.4.2 rom available. It would be great if someone comes out and do this.:good:

TwitchyEye

Jun 23, 2012
Dallas
It can be done but nobody can figure out the radio issue so it would be WiFi only. That is what killed this phone.

Aug 12, 2014
Lahore
ROM for P999

Hi !!! This looks real sad. I am using CM 10.1 based on Jellybean 4.1.1 and it looks stable enough and so does the WIFI. Is there any newer version than this that is more stable? I checked the All ROMS thread but the newer ones are all buggy :(

TwitchyEye

Jun 23, 2012
Dallas
Hi !!! This looks real sad. I am using CM 10.1 based on Jellybean 4.1.1 and it looks stable enough and so does the WIFI. Is there any newer version than this that is more stable? I checked the All ROMS thread but the newer ones are all buggy :(

No that's pretty much it. There's a trick you can do to flash p990 roms, I'm not sure how much development they have going on over there. I actually don't have this phone anymore but if you use one of their nvflash utilities you basically can repartition your phone like theirs except for the radio which doesn't work anyway. If you're up for it there's been a few people who have done it. I make no guarantees. Godspeed.

Reactions: Darth Tyranius

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You shouldn't expect anything from LG, and now that almost all the Devs have given up on the g2x, I too have realized that there is no hope for the g2x.
    But although this phone got screwed pretty bad, if it wasn't for this phone I would have never known about the xda community and the joy of rooting, and for that I am grateful.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda app-developers app
    Same here, Knotes. If it wasn't for stock 2.3.4 gingerbread driving me insane with its lag, inconsistency and overall weak performance I would have never stumbled upon XDA and have rooted my phone to make it a somewhat halfway decent device (thanks to the amazing devs we've had) lol.

No that's pretty much it. There's a trick you can do to flash p990 roms, I'm not sure how much development they have going on over there. I actually don't have this phone anymore but if you use one of their nvflash utilities you basically can repartition your phone like theirs except for the radio which doesn't work anyway. If you're up for it there's been a few people who have done it. I make no guarantees. Godspeed.