3rd March 2011, 08:51 PM |#41  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 2,939

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavogusso

Hahah.. sorry man.. first time with the android and first time in foruns...

1- update to Froyo, 2- Root the phone 3- install a custom Rom (like Serendipity or other).

You think i should jump to step 2??

so i got the captivate with the android 2.1. if i root the phone and install the custom rom, you think i dont need to upgrade to froyo??

you are trying to rush. i took 3 days (while off from work) to learn before i flashed. like posted above read the stickies in the general forum and dev forum. read , learn, know THEN flash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.roddy

So, what exactly is the point in collecting "Thanks"es?

an attempt to give an indication of who is helpful/knowlegable

3rd March 2011, 09:06 PM |#42  
Flag Brodheadsville
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Im new to the whole flashing rooting processes...i used odin to flash rogers 2.2 on my atnt captivate...it worked fine then used romkitchen to created a custom rom. I followed the directions on how to root before i load the custom rom and it went smoothly but now the superuser app is there but force closes when i try to open. Did i do something wrong...i also used odin 1 click to get back to stock before i tried rooting...any suggustion would be awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App
6th March 2011, 07:48 PM |#43  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Root Directory
Reading the directions on how to install a new ROM for the Captivate, the author says in step 3 to install the file in the root directory and then later speaks to running from the sdcard dir. Root means to me \ ,. \sdcard is not the root. What am I missing?
6th March 2011, 07:53 PM |#44  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag South of Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 4,683

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxstsb

Reading the directions on how to install a new ROM for the Captivate, the author says in step 3 to install the file in the root directory and then later speaks to running from the sdcard dir. Root means to me \ ,. \sdcard is not the root. What am I missing?

All of the instructions I've seen say to install the ROM file to flash in the root of the SD card, you can't put it at the root of the internal memory, as it gets wiped by the Master Clear.
7th March 2011, 03:41 PM |#45  
OP Senior Member
Flag Junction City
Thanks Meter: 102

Donate to Me
More
Yeesh - sorry haven't been around for a bit.

But I see a bunch of Flashing How-To Questions.
  • If your new to Flashing... READ THE STICKIES! There are even youtube videos showing you exactly how to do this! (You can skip to the good parts btw)
  • Make sure you understand how to RECOVER YOUR PHONE. I've seen too many people on the forums post the inevitable OMG MY PHONE IS BRICKED because they failed to understand how to restore their phone before they started flashing willy nilly.
  • If you've just started flashing - I would suggest trying the AIO Toolbox - it has everything you'll need to flash a ROM.
  • And lately this seems to becoming more prevalent so this is just my opinion on the matter... Please folks don't just go to trying to install a beta Cyanogen 7 ROM that someone just got up and running if your new to flashing.
  • I would highly recommend flashing a well known ROM that has clear-cut directions. To prevent a flame war... I can't recommend which one - but it will be fairly obvious what they are

And finally.. if you've already flashed a ROM and you wish to flash a new one:
You CAN flash "over the top" of the existing ROM and 99% of the time you shouldn't have any issues.

BUT... the recommended way to safely flash a new ROM: (I've done this no kidding at least 75-100 times on my phone so the nay sayers can go nay all the live long day )

Restore your phone back to stock using ODIN 1-Click
You can go the extra step to format your internal SD Card but this is NOT necessary.
Then follow the direction of the chef/dev for flashing the new ROM - typically it is:
  • Root your device after restoring with ODIN 1-Click
  • Install ROM Manager
  • Copy the ROM to your SD Card (internal NOT External)
  • Boot into Recovery using ROM Manager
  • Choose Install from *.zip

For me - I cheat but still Odin 1-Click to restore the device. This has prevented issues on potential bad flashes or having issues when I change ROMs - And I can restore my phone in 15 minutes or less.

I have a ROM Manager "update.zip" I keep on my phone. It's small and allows me to go into advanced recovery without rooting my phone.
  • I use Odin 1-Click to go back to stock.
  • I install the new ROM onto the SD Card
  • I usually go into the SD Card and remove any files/folders etc.. that I know are not normally there. (this step isn't needed its just what I do) Make sure you understand your file system before deleting stuff though please.
  • I use ADB to reboot the phone into recovery (I have a build 1008 phone and the buttons NEVER work when I restore it to stock).
  • Flash the new ROM
  • Reboot ..
  • Setup the phone initially (Sign into Google and wait for it to sync which is usually the longest step of flashing a new ROM)
  • Download Titanium Back
  • Restore from Backup I have on my SD Card (yup.. internal SD - though I keep a copy on my External as well - Odin doesn't wipe your SD Card - just re-flashes your phone back to stock.)
  • And I'm done - in less than 15 minutes typically.
The Following User Says Thank You to avgjoegeek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift avgjoegeek Ad-Free
9th March 2011, 02:43 AM |#46  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Very Helpful
For weeks I have been trying this and that to install a ROM and only untill this person posted did I suceed. The big help was the AIO Toolbox. Worked almost as slick as hot butter. Thanks
24th March 2011, 05:59 AM |#47  
Flag Mobile

More
thx for for the mention and im glad im able to help a little im BlinkPhaseVideos lol
7th April 2011, 01:41 PM |#48  
Flag Erie

More
Posting for later
12th April 2011, 07:30 PM |#49  

More
How to clear dalvik cache
I am using Firefly 2.8 and have been reading on battery issues. I never have cleared my dalvik cache or reset my battery status. I found how to reset battery status but can't find how to clear dalvik cache. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
12th April 2011, 08:54 PM |#50  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomb6942

I am using Firefly 2.8 and have been reading on battery issues. I never have cleared my dalvik cache or reset my battery status. I found how to reset battery status but can't find how to clear dalvik cache. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Found it in Clockwork. Answered my own question. Sorry for the wasted reply.
25th April 2011, 04:27 AM |#51  
Flag San Antonio, Texas
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Perhaps an intermediate guide should be compiled, maybe over how to flashover a kernel or stuff of that nature....?

And then if you're feeling froggy, an advanced guide?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)