Thanks Meter: 14

By ErroneousBosch, Member on 22nd February 2013, 12:57 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
22nd February 2013, 03:14 PM |#2  
Flag Metuchen, NJ
Thanks Meter: 15

Donate to Me
More
I hope someone does try, this could be really cool.
22nd February 2013, 04:53 PM |#3  
Flag Bethany, CT
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Re: Ubuntu Touch
I can probably make this work, considering it's based of CyanogenMod 10.1. Now I just need to hope repo sync works with this, because it always breaks in the middle when I try to sync with paranoid 3.

I'm not at a computer right now, but I will let you know how it goes once I can get on one.

Sent from my NookColor using xda app-developers app
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thejrcrafter2 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thejrcrafter2 Ad-Free
22nd February 2013, 08:25 PM |#4  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejrcrafter2

I can probably make this work, considering it's based of CyanogenMod 10.1. Now I just need to hope repo sync works with this, because it always breaks in the middle when I try to sync with paranoid 3.

I'm not at a computer right now, but I will let you know how it goes once I can get on one.

Sent from my NookColor using xda app-developers app

They have a switch to continue if failed in the middle.
Downloading repo now.
22nd February 2013, 09:18 PM |#5  
Inactive Recognized Developer
New Orleans
Thanks Meter: 3,520

Donate to Me
More
You guys probably know this...but just in case.

I installed this on my Nexus 7 yesterday. There are no apps, just screenshots of what the apps will be when they are ready. You can supposedly still make phone calls but that won't matter here. The UI was beautiful (I thought) but that is all they have done at this point.

Just saying, it is not even close to functioning as even a media device. I actually couldn't even get wireless up, although I think that is technically supposed to work. I never used it, but I would expect the NookBuntu to be way more functional at this point.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, porting new OS is a great way to learn new things, no matter your skill level. But don't expect much return on your investment at this point.

(Also, just because, make sure that there is a kernel and ramdisk and uboot and not a boot.img in whatever you build. The device tree should take care of that for you, but it didn't on AOSP for me, and I suffered as a result.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mateorod For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mateorod Ad-Free
23rd February 2013, 10:14 AM |#6  
Flag Silver Spring
Thanks Meter: 9

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateorod

You guys probably know this...but just in case.

I installed this on my Nexus 7 yesterday. There are no apps, just screenshots of what the apps will be when they are ready. You can supposedly still make phone calls but that won't matter here. The UI was beautiful (I thought) but that is all they have done at this point.

Just saying, it is not even close to functioning as even a media device. I actually couldn't even get wireless up, although I think that is technically supposed to work. I never used it, but I would expect the NookBuntu to be way more functional at this point.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, porting new OS is a great way to learn new things, no matter your skill level. But don't expect much return on your investment at this point.

(Also, just because, make sure that there is a kernel and ramdisk and uboot and not a boot.img in whatever you build. The device tree should take care of that for you, but it didn't on AOSP for me, and I suffered as a result.)

What are the app extentions?
The Following User Says Thank You to odj1041 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift odj1041 Ad-Free
26th March 2013, 04:10 AM |#7  
Flag Livonia
Thanks Meter: 102

Donate to Me
More
Gonna see what I can do to get it running anyway, since I have the entire repo.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moocow1452 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift moocow1452 Ad-Free
27th March 2013, 02:33 AM |#8  
Flag Santa Clara, CA
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow1452

Gonna see what I can do to get it running anyway, since I have the entire repo.

That's awesome Moocow, let me know if you need any help testing.

I'm not terribly educated in the art of Android OS compiling, but if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
27th March 2013, 04:00 AM |#9  
Flag Livonia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsukisan

That's awesome Moocow, let me know if you need any help testing.

I'm not terribly educated in the art of Android OS compiling, but if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

And now I got to finish it, don't I? Get into XDA's Ubuntu Touch section, and start rooting around for porting tools, walkthroughs, and whatnot and we'll compare notes if one of us finds something the other doesn't.
27th March 2013, 04:45 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1,007

More
I worked on building the phablet for the nook. I stopped because all reports were it works very badly with only 500 mb ram. Hashcode has ported it to the kindle fire and found he could only open a couple apps before it froze up. However, he did good work on porting and put the changes on github at https://github.com/KFire-Android . You can look for phablet branches on the otter branches. The kernel changes are also present in some of his repos. Look around those repos for good hints on getting started.The kindle fire is also an omap processor, albeit omap4, so it is close to ours. The changes should be similar.
Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drmarble For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drmarble Ad-Free
28th March 2013, 04:53 PM |#11  
Flag Livonia

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarble

I worked on building the phablet for the nook. I stopped because all reports were it works very badly with only 500 mb ram. Hashcode has ported it to the kindle fire and found he could only open a couple apps before it froze up. However, he did good work on porting and put the changes on github at https://github.com/KFire-Android . You can look for phablet branches on the otter branches. The kernel changes are also present in some of his repos. Look around those repos for good hints on getting started.The kindle fire is also an omap processor, albeit omap4, so it is close to ours. The changes should be similar.
Good luck.

So the thing that's supposed to work better with lower grade hardware doesn't work better with lower grade hardware? Ain't that hysterical?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)