M2D Weather - Adding Custom Cities Tutorial

Search This thread

scotchua

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 10, 2007
Ketchikan, Alaska
www.scotchua.com
I just copied my other post to make it easier to find over here. Hopefully you will all find it useful and enjoy the information.

For those who might not understand how to do it, just wanted to post this guide here too.

What you need:

1) HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml file. I have attached one below which you can use, or alternatively you can copy the one from the your /windows folder.

2) If you don't have the version which is already patched then you will need the N2A patched file attached below as well.

Here are the steps:

1) Open HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml using Notepad.

2) You will see many cities listed like this:

<city name="Anchorage, US" loca="NAM|US|AK|ANCHORAGE " land="United States " /> (original)

<city name="Ketchikan, AK" loca="NAM|US|AK|KETCHIKAN" land="United States" /> (copied and edited)

Simply copy one of the cities from your country, or state and then edit the city information. You will notice in the example above i have changed "Anchorage, US" to "Ketchikan, AK" as this is just what will display on the screen. The section marked loca=con"CONTINENT|COUNTRY|STATE|CITY" must be typed in correctly or else you will not get any data.

3) Repeate step 2 for as many cities as you would like to add.

4) Disable touchflo on the today screen

5) Copy Manila2D.exe (if you are not using the version already patched), and your newly edited HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml file to the /windows folder.

6) Enable touchflo on the today screen again.

7) Go to weather and add new city, the new cities should be available to you. I would remove any old cities you had before as well.

Weather won't download via edge or 3g:

For those of you still having problems with the weather plug-in here is another thing I did to fix it:

1. Go to Settings - Connections - Connections - Advanced - Select Networks - Edit (MEdia Net) - Proxy Settings -> UNCHECK BOTH OPTIONS

2. Soft Reset

It should work fine

UPDATES

As a side note, I was able to just use the Zip code instead of NAM|US|AK|KETCHIKAN.

Scotchua, nice tutorial. I've been using several of your fixes since I discovered them. However, the one note missing from your Manila2D Weather Custom Cities tutoria is how to determine the loca="NAM|US|AK|KETCHIKAN".

I have the solution! For most US locations, you can use the 5-digit ZIP code, but to determine ANY location, including outside the US, use this link to AccuWeather's RSS.

Simply put in your location as instructed in the 'Choose a location' field and click 'Set'. (For this example, I used Whistler, Canada.) The page then generates a URL for you, which looks like accuweather.com/rss/liveweather_rss.asp?metric=0&locCode=NAM|CA|BC|WHISTLER. The piece after locCode= (which I've hilited in Red) is what goes in the loca="" field in the XML file.

Then complete your tutorial, and choose the custom cities! Hope this helps someone else looking to make a quick fix.

Here's An Entirely New Method. I tried and it works on PDA V9 (Only one i tried it on).

Hi all,

Here is what I did to fix my the darn weather problem using my AT&T Tilt through MediaNet.

1. Make a copy of the HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml in the Windows folder.
2. Modify the file to include your info. (for me the zip code worked). See the examples below:
Code:
<city name="Idaho Falls, ID" loca="83406" land="United States"/>
<city name="Idaho Falls, ID, US" loca="NAM|US|ID|IDAHO-FALLS" land="United States"/>
3. Copy the HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml back to your device (your storage card or My Documents)
4. Disable TouchFlo in your Today Screen settings
5. Using TotalCommander overwrite the HH_0409_WeatherCities.xml file in the Windows folder
6. Go to Settings, Connections tab, Connections program and select the "Manage existing connections" option.
7. Click the Proxy Settings tab and uncheck the "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet" option.
8. Click the OK at the top left.
9. Once again, select the "Manage existing connections" option.
10. Click the "Edit..." button for your MediaNet or ISP connection
11. Click Next, Next
12. Click the "Advanced..." button
13. Click the Servers tab at the bottom
14. Click "Use specific server address" and enter the two following addresses for DNS and Alt DNS:
15. Click OK at the top, then Finish at the bottom, click OK again at the top, then OK again.
16. Reenable TouchFlo in your Today options
17. Go to the Weather Tab and Add your city
18. Enjoy

I have tested the solution on are Garmin's ROMs, but it should solve proxy server issues and DNS issues relating to AT&T's seriously out of date default DNS servers (the proxy server uses an up to date DNS server).

The above DNS servers are from OpenDNS www.opendns.com

Please post and/or PM me if this solution works for you. I've been frustrated at the lack of working weather for my area, so this is the crazy solution I came up with! :D

Merrell

Attachments

• HH_0409_WeatherCities.zip
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,568
  • manila2d_N2A_patch.zip
    446.7 KB · Views: 1,640
  • tcmdpocketarm.cab
    458.8 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:

beachboyde

Aug 3, 2008
Millsboro, Delaware
www.myspace.com
Any Suggestions

Hi, I've done everything. However when I try to copy the new file I created with the HH_0409 exe there's problems.
1) when i go into windows on my device and go the the HH_file it will not let me copy it or deleate it, so i could then put in the new file.
2) when I try to copy and paste my new file titled the same HH_0409_WeatherCities to the Windows in device I get a error message that reads (error copy file, cannot copy HH_4090_WeatherCities access is denied. Be certain that there is enough free storage memory that the destination is not write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.)

I have unchecked TouchFlo as stated and done everything as listed. I'd somehow had this working when using MD2 but now that I'm using the Solace 1.5 rom, I'll be darn that I can get this to work. I'm trying to put Millsboro, DE USA into the darn thing. If you have any suggestions I'd be greatly appreciative.
Thank you in advance.
Beachboyde/Jon

scotchua

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 10, 2007
Ketchikan, Alaska
www.scotchua.com
Hi, I've done everything. However when I try to copy the new file I created with the HH_0409 exe there's problems.
1) when i go into windows on my device and go the the HH_file it will not let me copy it or deleate it, so i could then put in the new file.
2) when I try to copy and paste my new file titled the same HH_0409_WeatherCities to the Windows in device I get a error message that reads (error copy file, cannot copy HH_4090_WeatherCities access is denied. Be certain that there is enough free storage memory that the destination is not write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.)

I have unchecked TouchFlo as stated and done everything as listed. I'd somehow had this working when using MD2 but now that I'm using the Solace 1.5 rom, I'll be darn that I can get this to work. I'm trying to put Millsboro, DE USA into the darn thing. If you have any suggestions I'd be greatly appreciative.
Thank you in advance.
Beachboyde/Jon

I use total commander (which i have added as an attachement to the first post) to copy the files. If you have tf2d, and done a soft reset, but still cannot copy the files using total commander then i really don't know why your files cannot be overwritten. I've honestly never had that problem before, so i just don't have anyway to help you.

tmac750

Mar 4, 2008
I also got that same error when I was using file explorer but I did get it to work when I used Total Commander.

I downloaded the file to my desktop.
Then opened it with notepad.
Added my city
I then choose to save as and selected the file on my desktop to be overwritten.
I copied it to my storage card.
I then copied it using total commander to the windows directory with TF2d disabled.
soft reset
enabled TF2d and it was there.

turcomora

Jun 27, 2005
Can you give example of with zip code. I tried it using the info off the rss feed hyperlink and still nothing. Thanks.

iamdamon

Jan 19, 2007
NOt working for me

Scotchua, thanks for taking the time to put this together. I have edited my HH_0409... file and put the cities in. Now I am able to select the custom cities as new locations but I get the "unable to download..." message for those cities whil the original cities will download weather just fine.

Any ideas?

thanks.

scotchua

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 10, 2007
Ketchikan, Alaska
www.scotchua.com
Scotchua, thanks for taking the time to put this together. I have edited my HH_0409... file and put the cities in. Now I am able to select the custom cities as new locations but I get the "unable to download..." message for those cities whil the original cities will download weather just fine.

Any ideas?

thanks.

you need to either copy the patched manila2d.exe file over to /windows or change the DNS server addresses. I tried both methods and they work. They're both in the instructions. :)

iamdamon

Jan 19, 2007
Thanks!

you need to either copy the patched manila2d.exe file over to /windows or change the DNS server addresses. I tried both methods and they work. They're both in the instructions. :)

Hey I appreciate the help...I am up and running now. I had saved the Manila2D.exe file to my storage card--I thought I just had to run it like a .cab but obviously (I overlooked it before) you have to save it to /windows. (I didn't have to mess with the DNS settings and I was able to simply enter using the zip code method.)

Guys like you are an asset to the forum...

outragis

Oct 6, 2008
I use total commander (which i have added as an attachement to the first post) to copy the files. If you have tf2d, and done a soft reset, but still cannot copy the files using total commander then i really don't know why your files cannot be overwritten. I've honestly never had that problem before, so i just don't have anyway to help you.
can you do a step by step using total comander, I stil get a message that the files can not be replaced

turcomora

Jun 27, 2005
I have the same problem. I am using a touch cruise with chavon bravo's rom. Cant move the manila file to windows.

Hamburg

Jan 23, 2009
NOTE: OPEN THE XML WITH NOTEPAD, NOT WORDPAD.

Word pad will translate foreign characters and will corrupt the XML file.

Melobrokeit

May 8, 2008
I did the step by step instructions, copied both files to the windows folder, and then restarted touchflo. Wheni go to Select location, its completely blank. Any ideas on this one?

avazquez

Oct 21, 2007
still nothing

i'm using hyperdragon IV IOLITE, with touchflo but same trouble, when i've update the XML the new location appears, but when i sync nothing comes, but if i overwrite the patched Manila2d.exe now doesn't come up the manilla.

i don't need the Connection setting, cuz i'm a Mexican user, i've my own settings.

any idea, anybody know if the Hyperdragon IV IOLITE has already the manilla patched version?

this is the change in the XML NAM|MX|MX019|MONTERREY, the original MONTERREY has MX005 and comes with other weather forecast not from my city

i've tried two ways, overtwritin' the original Monterrey item, and adding another as MonterreyNL, and as i told you, in both ways the new setting pops now but can't get weather and in the other locations JUST FINE!!

pincopinco

Jul 3, 2009
Custom M2D Weather

hi guys, maybe I have the definitive solution to setting new cities on M2D weather. (or at least on my Kaiser go on)
1) in M2D weather set one city whatever you want is indifferent.
2) disable touchflo in today setup
3) open REGISTRY EDITOR and go on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
then open software, then open HTC, then open Manila2D, then open Weather here you have two choice "0" and "setting" in both of them there are two item: "Location" and "Location Code". (you have to modify the item in "0" and in "setting")
So, when you tap in Location, you have to insert a string like this:
Caprese Michelangelo, It (first city name and after the nation)
When you tap in location code, you have to insert a string like this:
eur|it|it016|Caprese Michelangelo

If you want repeat for other city. At the end enable touchflo on the today screen again and upgrade the weather.

Work fine for me on my Tytn II.:):)

f13d0

Aug 13, 2009
original manila

where can i get the original manila2d? cuz i dont like the patched one

tdamocles

Aug 11, 2009
hi guys, maybe I have the definitive solution to setting new cities on M2D weather. (or at least on my Kaiser go on)
then open software, then open HTC, then open Manila2D, then open Weather here you have two choice "0" and "setting" in both of them there are two item: "Location" and "Location Code". (you have to modify the item in "0" and in "setting")

If you want repeat for other city. At the end enable touchflo on the today screen again and upgrade the weather.

Work fine for me on my Tytn II.:):)

I seem to have deleted a DWORD in HKLM/SOFTWARE/HTC/MANILA 2D/WEATHER/SETTINGS because the keyboard was in the way and I rewrote a DWORD by mistake. Could anyone please list all DWORDS under HKLM/SOFTWARE/HTC/MANILA 2D/WEATHER/SETTINGS?

celticchrys

Nov 8, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
ZTE Axon 7
FINALLY a simple fix-Thanks!

Man, thank you, thank you, thank you! This is the first fix that worked easily without messing up something else. City data now updating like a charm on my Vogue. Thanks again for sharing.